Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question SU Wheels, 2 questions

I have just ordered 2 wheels from the retiring list and was curious about unmounting them. I was wondering, first, do they come mounted or unmounted? And, second, has anyone mounted them to the cling mount? How does that work? I happen to have a fairly large acrylic mount that one should fit on but I am concerned with how long this will actually be. I sometimes have a hard time with background stamps because they are so huge and no matter how hard I press down, I still come up with blank spots. Wondering if I am going to have the same problem. I am just trying to save a little money and figure if they are not mounted, then I won't need to buy the ink cartridges and refill ink, I can just use the pads that I already have. Thanks in advance for any tips!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel stamps come mounted to the plastic wheel, but it's super easy to get the rubber off. It's stuck to the wheel with rubber cement and peels off easily once you separate the glue that joins the two ends of the rubber. Just snip through that line of glue with some scissors and peel it off.

What you're left with is a strip of rubber either one inch wide (regular wheels) or two inches wide (jumbo wheels) and not quite seven inches long. You can mount it on cling foam if you choose to, but you'll have to get your own foam. All of my wheel stamps are off the wheels and mounted on cling foam. They are very easy to use this way. I never have the problems that I used to have with uneven pressure and missed spots.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not unmounted any of my wheels yet, still waffling on that one, but alot of people have and not all use ezmount. I know some stampers prefer bare rubber. I think it's just what you like best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

As Chris says, they are very easy to take off the wheel. I mount mine on foam because the rubber seems to be a bit thinner than regular stamps, but you could try stamping them with just bare rubber before you got the foam. They're definitely much easier to use - and I know some people don't even necessarily keep them as a long strip but cut them into smaller stamps if it's a suitable design.
Keep one jumbo wheel and cover it with bubble wrap - great for backgrounds!
I have a mount that's barely 2" wide but it works fine. I think it's probably 12" x 2", but because the edges are bevelled is why I'm saying barely 2".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I saw this post and was watching the NFL draft (well, my husband is/was) so I decided to take one of my wheels and detach it. I have cling cushion mounting foam on hand and it worked perfect. I hardly use my wheels because of not being able to get even/good pressure.
I had a long acrylic block (Fiskars) and wow..... I'm thinking this weekend I will do this to all of my wheels and may use them more.
So glad I saw this post because it never came to my mind to do this... funny cause I have switch lots of my wood blocks to cling..
Thanks for the idea/inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been an SU demo for a really long time and I have a couple of suggestions for getting a good impression while rolling your wheels. I love wheels. You should hold the handle like you would an iron or a suitcase, then take your index finger (or your thumb) and place it one the center seam of the handle where it curves around the wheel. Try it with your index finger first and then with your thumb to find out which one feels more comfortable to you. By placing a finger on the. Enter seam and over the rounded prt of the wheel, you can get good even downward pressure and create stability for the wheel as you roll. (Stability is less of an issue with the jumbo wheel). Depending on your height you may find it helpful to stand up when you use a wheel. To create a wheeled background, I always wheel on the diagonal across my paper. if you're right handed, wheel from the bottom left, starting and ending off the card. Each successive row is is moved over and up. This makes it easy to see where each previous row was wheeled and then line your new row just above it. If you are left handed you have to work from bottom right to top left. If you are only wheeling one row across your card or page, you may find it easier to angle your paper. If you find your wheeled image wants to curve on your paper, try standing and angling your body slightly, or use a wheel guide. It can take a little practice to get the hang of using a wheel, but it's worth it. You don't have to have cartridges, unless you are trying to wheel lines that are longer than 7 inche's, you can just ink your wheel on your pad. I know this is slightly off topic to how to unmount your wheels, but maybe it will help someone out.

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
FS465

Last edited by Kathy LeDonne; 04-26-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Not only have I unmounted wheels but I've cut some of them apart too...the ones with words like bright blessings! Now I have a whole bunch of cute sentiments and greetings! I used the new cling mount we sell to mount them. Was super easy and fun!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love mine now. I never used them until I unmounted them. I let mine bare rubber and use my close to my heart cushion under the card stock. I also have cut mine up and love it.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Have you seen the Big Shot Doctors Bag? It's adorable!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
Wheel stamps come mounted to the plastic wheel, but it's super easy to get the rubber off. It's stuck to the wheel with rubber cement and peels off easily once you separate the glue that joins the two ends of the rubber. Just snip through that line of glue with some scissors and peel it off.

What you're left with is a strip of rubber either one inch wide (regular wheels) or two inches wide (jumbo wheels) and not quite seven inches long. You can mount it on cling foam if you choose to, but you'll have to get your own foam. All of my wheel stamps are off the wheels and mounted on cling foam. They are very easy to use this way. I never have the problems that I used to have with uneven pressure and missed spots.
Chris what are you using to stamp your unmounted wheels with?
thanks,
vicky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #10  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I've unmounted a couple of my wheels and mounted them on cling foam. I'm very pleased with the results and will be um the rest of my wheels.
But....... I really wish somebody would come out with a glass block exactly the size needed for the jumbo wheels. All mine are either too wide or too short.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Anemone, I use a block made by Apple Pie Memories that is 12" x 2" with my UM jumbo wheels and it works beautifully! Obviously, it's longer than you need as the wheels are around 7" long but that's the only block I've come across that is large enough.

My block is plain but I see you can now get a block with a grid - and it's 2 1/2" x 12".

Apple Pie Memories Acrylic Stamping Block - 2.5" x 12" Alignment Grid | MarkerPOP.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is also by Apple Pie Memories and it's 2.5" x 8"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Unmounted mine, I use bare rubber. I am the laziest person in all the land and cannot bear to cut EZ mount. I just use a mouse pad or magazine as a base to stamp on.

I ordered an acrylic block from my local stamp store several years ago - the size is just right. It's perfect for the jumbo wheels and works well for the regular ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two blocks that are great for unmounted wheels. One is 8 x 2, and the other is 8.5 x 2.5 inches. I think one came from Apple Pie Memories, and I can't remember where the other is from. They can be harder to find than the smaller sizes, but they are out there! In a pinch, you can use a plate from your Cuttlebug or Big Shot (a newer, unbent one, obviously).

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes