Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spellbinder M-bossabilities limitations?

I picked up a few of the new Spellbinder m-bossabilities embossing folders a couple of weeks ago. I love that they are double sided and that I get two patterns for the price of one. I also love that the folders give deep embossing.

However, when I went to use one of the smaller A2 sized ones on a 12"x4" piece of paper it didn't fit through the Cuttlebug. I tried putting it through the bug in 'landscape' format as I wanted to eventually emboss the whole 12" piece - but found that the folder was overall actually 1/8" bigger than the standard 6" bug opening. Initially I thought I must have done something wrong as all my other brands of A2 embossing folders like Cuttlebug, Sizzix, Darice, Craft concepts etc. all fit in either landscape or portrait format through the bug. But no, not the new Spellbinders one as they've sized the overall folder to be that 1/8" too big for the bug!!!! :(

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm wondering if I have a 'faulty' one or whether Spellbinders are trying to force people to buy their Grand Calibur machine so you can use their folders for extended embossing. I must say I'm a bit disappointed at the moment and ended up using a Darice embossing folder to complete my project.

I would be interested to hear your experiences with the new M-bossabilities folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

They go "landscape" through the Big Shot so it's not that Spellbinder are trying to push you into their own machine exclusively.

I wonder whether they need a bit extra at the hinge area to give them the strength for the flip over as they're double sided? I'm thinking that the plastic is obviously thinner where the design goes down and maybe if that's too close to the hinge it gets too delicate to be durable? Just guessing!

I can't imagine there are some that are different sizes in the manufacturing process but I guess it's possible. If you get an exact measurement of yours, I'll compare with mine for you (in metric if you'd rather work that way - I'm a Brit!)

My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't have any of the new M-bossabilities as of yet but I do see on the Spellbinders website that they are compatible with the Cuttlebug. Here's the link for the pdf:

https://spellbinderspaperarts.com/Li...hart.sflb.ashx

and to quote that section of the chart that outlines the sandwich:

CuttlebugBy Provo Craft

1. Cuttlebug A Plate
2. Spellbinders M-Bossabilities Folder with media inside
3. 3 pieces of 65# cardstock as a shim
4. Cuttlebug C PlateFeed through the Cuttlebug machine

If yours don't seem to be fitting, they might be faulty. You should give Spellbinders a call to inquire.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 03:09 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks very much for your response Joanne. The 'So Trendy' A2 sized one that I have is 6 1/8" long - which is just that 1/8" too long to go through side ways in the bug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Funnily enough, So Trendy is the one A2 folder I have as well!

I just measured and it's exactly the same as yours - 6 1/8"

If you think you're going to want to do lots of extended embossing and you're feeling brave, you could try some surgery! The pattern area actually starts 1/8" from the bottom edge of the folder. With a strong blade and a ruler, I think you could cut that area off without affecting the embossing area itself and you'd be leaving the hinge intact. Just a thought!

Leslie, I don't think the Spellbinder statement that it's compatible with the Bug is inconsistent with Angela's experience. You can use an M-bossabilities folder in the Bug as long as you're in portrait orientation. You couldn't turn one of the larger 5 x 7 folders to landscape in either the Bug or the Bigshot but they're still usable in the machine in portrait orientation. I have no idea whether the Grand Calibur would allow a 7" folder through!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
I don't have any of the new M-bossabilities as of yet but I do see on the Spellbinders website that they are compatible with the Cuttlebug. Here's the link for the pdf:

https://spellbinderspaperarts.com/Li...hart.sflb.ashx

and to quote that section of the chart that outlines the sandwich:

CuttlebugBy Provo Craft

1. Cuttlebug A Plate
2. Spellbinders M-Bossabilities Folder with media inside
3. 3 pieces of 65# cardstock as a shim
4. Cuttlebug C PlateFeed through the Cuttlebug machine

If yours don't seem to be fitting, they might be faulty. You should give Spellbinders a call to inquire.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for investigating for me Leslie. I did find that they go through the bug OK using the correct sandwich if I have the folder placed on the mats portrait style - and it does give a good, deep emboss. It's when I need to turn the folder around 'landscape' or 'sideways' to do extended/multiple embossing on long strips of paper that I encounter the problem that the folder I have is too long and doesn't fit through the bug this way.

I wonder if it's just the 'So Trendy' A2 m-bossabilities folder that I have or whether all the A2 folders are that bit longer than other brands? I also bought some of their 5x7 folders and they also emboss beautifully, but I dont expect to be able to do extended embossing with these folders due to their larger size.

Last edited by scrappyoz; 04-26-2012 at 03:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Bumping in case you missed my reply as you were typing yours, Angela!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Funnily enough, So Trendy is the one A2 folder I have as well!

I just measured and it's exactly the same as yours - 6 1/8"
Thanks very much for checking the size of your folder Joanne. At least we know they're consistent and now I know the folder is meant to be that long. A shame for bug users unless we do the surgery that you suggest. Appreciate your help Joanne. :-)

Last edited by scrappyoz; 04-26-2012 at 03:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry my "investigation" didn't help. I was getting mixed up with portrait and landscape in my head. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes