Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Kindergarten classroom ideas

Hi, I am looking for some simple, cute ideas. My son is in kindergarten and tells his teacher how I make cards, etc. We gave the teacher a homemade gift for Christmas and now she has asked me to come to the class and do something crafty with the kids. I would love to, but what she doesn't know is I am horrible at thinking of crafty ideas on my own...better at playing them out! So, I was wondering if anyone had any cute, simple, not too elaborate craft ideas that I could do with a kindergarten classroom?
Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

For my Sunday School class of little kids they love to use stickers. Except I don't use the premade stickers. I punch, die-cut, stamp and pre cut all the pieces of a card first. Then I run them through the Xyron to get the adhesive on the back. Leave them on the backing and just cut the backing apart into card kits. I get a box of the DCWV pre-made card blanks in solid colors and let the kids pick a color and let them at it with the custom stickers. It's great for a mother's day card. You'll still get a kid that puts the stickers all in one place or on top of each other, but the mom's won't care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

I would have to do some searching to find the perfect one, but the first thing that comes to my mind is handprint art for Mother's Day. Since it's a Kinder class you could work with just a few kids at a time during rotations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work in Kindergarten, have for over 10 years we are always on the hunt for new crafts and have so many ideas through the years, there isn't time to do them all.

The latest Mother's Day craft is a recipe holder. It involves a little prep but it's a nice gift. Ahead of time, chose 4 or 5 cardstock colours and fold an 8 1/2 by 11 piece with about 2 1/2 inches left on one end. So fold at about 4 1/2, give or take. 'hamburger fold', not hotdog fold' if you know what I mean.

On the sides, punch about 6 holes fairly evenly spaced through both layers of cardstock, up to where the extra length is. Cut a generous length or ribbon so each student can lace up the sides, going up one side and allowing extra at the top and then down the other side. The extra at the top is the hanger so it can hang on the fridge.

The child can decorate using craft foam stickers (we use flower shapes) or other stickers and markers. Write MOM on the board, and they can print MOM in their own printing. Or Happy Mother's Day, RECIPES, or whatever.

Ahead of time have the classroom staff assemble a couple of their favorite recipes, photocopy and put into the pocket of the holder. At the same time, the child makes a card to also go into the holder. The card doesn't have to match.

These have been very well received, and look attractive with pastel colours. We were donated a heap of ribbon one year so have had lots of ribbon to work with and it doesn't cost us much. We buy the walmart package of pastel cardstock for under 5.00 and that gives lots of choices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Can you post a picture of these? I can't picture what they would look like?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I work in Kindergarten, have for over 10 years we are always on the hunt for new crafts and have so many ideas through the years, there isn't time to do them all.

The latest Mother's Day craft is a recipe holder. It involves a little prep but it's a nice gift. Ahead of time, chose 4 or 5 cardstock colours and fold an 8 1/2 by 11 piece with about 2 1/2 inches left on one end. So fold at about 4 1/2, give or take. 'hamburger fold', not hotdog fold' if you know what I mean.

On the sides, punch about 6 holes fairly evenly spaced through both layers of cardstock, up to where the extra length is. Cut a generous length or ribbon so each student can lace up the sides, going up one side and allowing extra at the top and then down the other side. The extra at the top is the hanger so it can hang on the fridge.

The child can decorate using craft foam stickers (we use flower shapes) or other stickers and markers. Write MOM on the board, and they can print MOM in their own printing. Or Happy Mother's Day, RECIPES, or whatever.

Ahead of time have the classroom staff assemble a couple of their favorite recipes, photocopy and put into the pocket of the holder. At the same time, the child makes a card to also go into the holder. The card doesn't have to match.

These have been very well received, and look attractive with pastel colours. We were donated a heap of ribbon one year so have had lots of ribbon to work with and it doesn't cost us much. We buy the walmart package of pastel cardstock for under 5.00 and that gives lots of choices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I don't have any pictures of what we have done at school, and the only camera I have right now is on my phone... don't know how to upload from there yet.

How can I make it easier for you to picture... lay the cardstock in front of you portrait style, not landscape. Fold the bottom up toward the top but not exactly in half, less than in half so there is a couple inches sticking up at the top. Down the sides punch the holes and have the kids lace with ribbon to hold together. That will make a pocket. In the pocket goes the recipes.

Does that help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I googled and found this similar project on someone's website - thank you DLTK kid's crafts!

Picture it with cardstock, not funfoam as this one is. Ours were the whole width of the 8 1/2 cardstock but you certainly could cut it down. On the empty space in the front is where you could have the child print MOM or whatever you decide on for a message.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Kindergarten classroom ideas-mholde6.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

My daycare kids love to stamp. How about letting them stamp a card for their mom for Mother's day. If you really don't want them to use your rubber stamps, I have made some using fun foam from the dollar store. Just cut some simple shapes out or buy the pre-cut ones (the thick ones used for stringing necklaces would work great). If you decided to cut your own, you would have to glue it onto a piece of wood or something for the handle. I use washable ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Take in your paper scraps. Have the kids cut them into shapes and glue them onto their card base, collage style. They can try to make a shape (like a person) or just do a freestyle mosaic. After they've had some time to cut and glue, let each one use a punch to cut out a flower or other shape. If they use a flower, they can make the center with a brad or a faux gem.

To save time, you might consider cutting your scraps into small pieces so all they have to do is choose and glue before adding their punched item. The collage idea gives each child a chance to make something that is uniquely their own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the great replies. I need to check with the teacher how much time I will have so I can plan accordingly.
Thanks, Melanie
Reply With Quote Likes