View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
StampingQueenJAR
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Giraffes & Laughs
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Arrow TLC373 ~ Magical Masking ~ {4/16/12}

No, it's not what you think.....it's Magical Masking Tape!

As some of you know, I am on a mission to use "old" supplies and "old" things and make them new! I am bringing sexy back! I got my eyelets out this week, and fibers, and did some polished stone...stamp sets I have had forever and haven't used.

So today we are doing an "old" technique -- one I learned years ago. I call it Magical Masking Tape!

It's simple and makes for a neat background. Here are the supplies you need:
1. Masking tape
2. Glossy paper (it won't work on regular cardstock - the paper will tear)
See below for alternatives!
3. Dye ink pads of your color choice

1. Take a piece of masking tape long enough to cover from edge to edge of the size paper you want to use.
2. Lay it across the pad, sticky side down, and press into the ink.
3. Now lay the tape across your glossy paper and press down.
4. Then we do the step that I call "Eyebrow Waxing."
Hold the paper and quickly pull the masking tape off (like those gals that wax eyebrows do with the tape after pressing it on -- OR like you may have pulled off a bandaid! OW!!). Be sure to hold the paper with one hand and the tape with the other.
5. Your ink will make a lovely textured design on the glossy paper.
6. Continue with different colors, using a different piece of tape for each color until you achieve the look you want. (I used a new piece for each application, even with the same color.)

I did mine in "rows", but you could layer colors on top of each other, or do all one color -- just depends on what you want it to look like. I did all my Rose Romance color, leaving space for my second color, and then did all the Pretty in Pink color.

See the thumbnail photo below for my last color I did -- masking tape is still in place. Your design will look different from others, depending on the colors you choose and the width of your tape. Mine was about 1 1/2".

I wish there was a way to do this if you don't have glossy paper -- if you have any ideas, post them!

Added: Sallie used regular cardstock and painter's tape and has a beautiful design in the gallery!! Thanks for the idea!
Ina suggested photo paper from the dollar store, and Neva said she took some of the "sticky" off of the tape first by sticking it to cloth. Thanks for the ideas! I want everyone to be able to try it.

My sample: Enough

TLC373 Gallery Submissions

Remember when uploading to use keyword TLC373 (no spaces)
Attached Thumbnails
p1100040.jpg  

Last edited by StampingQueenJAR; 04-16-2012 at 03:52 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!