Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Printing Digi Papers

I have just learned about Digi Papers and was wondering how to print them. Any help would be appreciated. I basically want to use the paper for photo mats in scrapbooks, on cards, and some paper piecing.

I am specifically looking for the type of paper/cardstock to use. Does anyone have an exact brand of paper/cardstock and recommended weight? I only mention cardstock, as that has been suggested. But when I look at/feel purchased patterned paper, it is not printed on cardstock.

I own an inkjet printer. Do you set your printers to print on best? That uses a lot of ink, and I am thinking will make the printing of the papers pretty expensive.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Judy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, Judy -- For printing patterned papers that will be layered, I use 60 lb. Hammermill Color Copy Cover. If you have an Xpedx Store in your area, you can probably pick up a free sample to try before you buy. Amazon also sells it, and the current price there is $7.25 for 250 sheets.

Yes, I do use the Best print setting, and it does use a lot of ink. While printing your own patterned papers gives you complete control, I haven't found it to be particularly cost effective. I'll print my own when I want to play with digital color adjustments, like this set of bookmarks that was made from only two patterns: Hannah Montana Bookmarks for Santa Claus Inc. by Crafts - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

The Hammermill CCC also comes in 80 lb, which I use for printing digital images for coloring with Copics, and 100 lb, which I use for card bases. All of the whites are a perfect match that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I use either Epson's presentation paper or matt photo paper, I have found that regular cardstock looks very washed out. I believe it is because the cardstock is not coated to hold the inks on top of the cardstock and it sinks in causing it to appear washed out. The Epson papers are designed to print the colors (or photos) much better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2012, 02:42 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I use the Hammermill paper as well, it's very smooth and the perfect weight for patterned papers. When I print digital papers for a card I'm going to be making, I print them at a smaller size, for example- I'll print two different patterns on one sheet of paper, around 5.5" square. This way the patterns are the right size for a card, and I'm saving ink by not covering a whole sheet of paper that will probably go to waste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
I use the Hammermill paper as well, it's very smooth and the perfect weight for patterned papers. When I print digital papers for a card I'm going to be making, I print them at a smaller size, for example- I'll print two different patterns on one sheet of paper, around 5.5" square. This way the patterns are the right size for a card, and I'm saving ink by not covering a whole sheet of paper that will probably go to waste.
What a great idea! Thanks for the tip
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

KatarinaM turned me onto the Hammermill paper too. I have the 100# that I've been using lately to print my digi stamps (works great with copics) but I haven't thought to use it to print my digi papers. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of some 60# to try it out. What I've been using to print my digi papers is either Staples brochure & flyer paper or Epson presentation paper - both in matte finish. What I usually do is find 4 different papers I want to print and then print each one an A2 card size (1/4 sheet) - all 4 on the same sheet. This way I don't waste any of the paper and I have 4 pieces of patterned paper to use. I did a cost analysis quite a while ago on printing my own patterned paper and what I found was that it really wasn't any more expensive to print at home than it was to buy a single sheet of paper. I calculated with my printer (Canon MP560) and brand inks that it cost about 75 cents per sheet to print at home. When I switched to off brand ink, my cost dropped to about 35 cents. This included the cost of ink and paper. I'd say for me its a much better deal to print at home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i think you want a coated paper/cardstock as the colours will seem brighter and you'll prob use less ink as it won't soak into the cardstock or paper.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Default Epson

I use Epson Presentation Paper either 3 star for "paper" and 4 or 5 star for cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I use Hammerhill too. Sometimes I do want the faded look so I just use regular old fashion printer paper. It's close to the same weight as the 59 cent paper you buy at Michael's, for example.

For a Bazzill look I love ColorBok White Cardstock.

I do use best ink. I refill my own cartridges to save money. I would love to buy a 12x12 printer that I can use a Continious Inkjet System in it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I do use best ink. I refill my own cartridges to save money. I would love to buy a 12x12 printer that I can use a Continious Inkjet System in it.
I use a CIS in my printer now. I really does cut the cost of ink down. That's how I can print digi papers cheaper than what it would cost for me to actually drive to a store to buy paper. I think the CIS's are the way to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend recently told me how to print the digital papers economically. She has been printing her own papers for years. We all have bought the paper stacks with a ton of different colors and designs on them. You know, the 12 X 12 or 6 X 6 packets. Well, there are always a lot of sheets we never use because they just aren't our thing so they just stack up. She turns these sheets over and prints on the reverse side. No 12 x 12 printer, just cut then to 8 1/2 X 11. The paper is exactly what can be printed on since the manufacturer has already done it once. It is a good way to get rid of all those papers you will never use and just keep stacking up.
Otherwise she uses Presentation papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by papernut123View Post
A friend recently told me how to print the digital papers economically. She has been printing her own papers for years. We all have bought the paper stacks with a ton of different colors and designs on them. You know, the 12 X 12 or 6 X 6 packets. Well, there are always a lot of sheets we never use because they just aren't our thing so they just stack up. She turns these sheets over and prints on the reverse side. No 12 x 12 printer, just cut then to 8 1/2 X 11. The paper is exactly what can be printed on since the manufacturer has already done it once. It is a good way to get rid of all those papers you will never use and just keep stacking up.
Otherwise she uses Presentation papers.
That's a good idea - using the back of patterned paper. I usually just use mine to either line envelopes or try out a design before I cut into my good stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I use a CIS in my printer now. I really does cut the cost of ink down. That's how I can print digi papers cheaper than what it would cost for me to actually drive to a store to buy paper. I think the CIS's are the way to go.
Hi,
Would you mind telling me which CIS system you bought. I heard you need to invest a decent amount to get one that won't be trouble.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheabellaView Post
Hi,
Would you mind telling me which CIS system you bought. I heard you need to invest a decent amount to get one that won't be trouble.
Thanks
I bought it off ebay and it really wasn't all that expensive when I bought it. I believe for a total of about $80 I received the CIS plus 5 bottles of refill inks. The CIS did also come filled with ink (100ml) in each tank. The one thing I had to buy separately is a chip resetter since my CIS didn't have the autoreset chips. That was another $20. Some of the CIS's do have autoreset chips, but they are more expensive and I found it was cheaper to just buy the resetter separately. If you search for "conintuous ink system" + the brand and make of your printer on ebay, you will find lots available. There are also a lot of youtube videos that show you how to install them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I bought it off ebay and it really wasn't all that expensive when I bought it. I believe for a total of about $80 I received the CIS plus 5 bottles of refill inks. The CIS did also come filled with ink (100ml) in each tank. The one thing I had to buy separately is a chip resetter since my CIS didn't have the autoreset chips. That was another $20. Some of the CIS's do have autoreset chips, but they are more expensive and I found it was cheaper to just buy the resetter separately. If you search for "conintuous ink system" + the brand and make of your printer on ebay, you will find lots available. There are also a lot of youtube videos that show you how to install them.
Thanks for the info. I have seen them on eBay and watched the videos. It seems like a great idea. My DH thinks that we need to buy one for a couple hundred dollars to get one that works. I am glad to hear that you are happy with yours. It really cuts the cost.
I can't wait to see how the election turns out.
Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Oh Wow! I have never seen a CIS system for $200. The most I have priced a CIS system for was around $80 and that was for a high end Epson printer. One of my friends bought one for $40. This was around the time 12x12 printers were going for $500. She bought that system about five years ago and she is still using it. She does craft shows with a lot of print & cut craft items.

I hope you find a good CIS system.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I don't think you need to spend more than about $50 on a CIS. Mine included the ink refills so that's why it was $80 ($40 for the CIS & $40 for the inks). The ink quality is the main concern. Basically, they're just tanks with tubes feeding into the ink wells. You could probably build your own for about $5 in materials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I like this idea of building my own CIS system. I will have to look into it. I never thought about that CIS systems didn't come with reinkers. I always thought they did. Learn something new every day. Thank you cat_woman.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I like this idea of building my own CIS system. I will have to look into it. I never thought about that CIS systems didn't come with reinkers. I always thought they did. Learn something new every day. Thank you cat_woman.
Most of them do come pre-filled with ink (usually about 100ml of each colour). Mine was pre-filled, plus I also bought a set of refills (so I got 200ml of each colour). It may take a little fiddling to get it working since it creates a vacuum to feed the ink into the ink wells, but I'm sure it won't be difficult. You may waste some ink though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I spent yesterday looking into building my own CIS. It does not look that hard. Now, I am really excited about trying it. I have my eye on a nice Epson printer. I have a lot of ink so I can spare some if I make a newbie mistake. I got a great deal on refill ink a few weeks ago. I got several huge bottles of all the Red Blue Yellow & Black for only $5 on Amazon. It will last me a lifetime. The bottles were made to refill regular printers with the syringe method and can refill the CIS systems too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I spent yesterday looking into building my own CIS. It does not look that hard. Now, I am really excited about trying it. I have my eye on a nice Epson printer. I have a lot of ink so I can spare some if I make a newbie mistake. I got a great deal on refill ink a few weeks ago. I got several huge bottles of all the Red Blue Yellow & Black for only $5 on Amazon. It will last me a lifetime. The bottles were made to refill regular printers with the syringe method and can refill the CIS systems too.
That's a good deal on ink. I have enough to last me another couple years, and probably by then I'll have to replace my printer...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Hope you don't mind me asking as I also do some digi stamping. Whats a CIS system?

Jenny x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

A CIS is a refill system for your printer. Here's a whole bunch of Google images on what it looks like: https://www.google.com/search?q=cont...KiFAg&tbm=isch

A lot of 12x12 printer owners use this system because it's very economical. For example you can print out a 12x12 digital paper for about a penny to a nickel per sheet.

Reply With Quote Likes