Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sentiments Storage

Help!! I am so tired of searching for sentiments when I make a card but I'm stumped on how to catagorize them. Does anyone separate their sets that have sentiments in them? If you do, do you annotate what set the sentiment came out of? I have alot of stamps (SU, wood mounted, clear) so I'm trying to find the easiest way to do this. I have drawers already for my holiday sentiments, birthday etc but all my other ones are scattered everywhere else in my stamproom. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Facebook: Got Joy Creations
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I separated all my SU sets last summer and I couldn't be happier. There are lots of posts about this.

I started making a catalog of what stamp goes with what, but in the end I decided I really didn't care. I doubt I will ever sell the stamps, since I have been narrowing down my supplies over the last few years, and that was the only reason I was keeping track of them.
I haven't figured out how to store my wood/clear/ez mount together yet. I only have my wood mounted stamps sorted as of now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I hope this makes sense what I did by the time I finish this email lol..

I also had this problem of trying to find the right sentiment and trying to remember what set it was in.

I've downloaded a data base program called hanDbase for my Ipad, but if you had an excel program you could do the same thing.

I went through EACH stamp set and typed out the sentiment. In the next column I put who the vendor was, ie SU, Memory Box etc. Next column I put what drawer it was in, and then I put in another column what catagory it could fall into ie Birthdays. I even added another column if it fit in a specific punch.

I love this system because you can search for a sentiment by a word, sort by catagories, and it will even tell you where to find it. When I get a new set, I add it right away. This took me a few days but it has saved me a whack of time in finding the perfect sentiment. This way you don't have to break up your sets.

Hope this helps.

My evolving gallery
My New Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I don't have pictures of what I am doing with my sentiments (not done yet ;) ) but it is patterned after Patter's idea here. She does all her stamps, I did a small flat rolodex with just my sentiments. My stamped rolodex cards are sorted into categories like "birthday" "sympathy" "wedding" "baby" "christmas" "hi" "thinking of you" and so on and so on. I will stamp more than one small stamp on each card, but each is marked with the drawer number where I will find that stamp.

I haven't broken up my sets for better sorting...but I am considering it, believe me! It would save me a bit of space...which means more stamps!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I do something similar but in binders. I have one binder for all holiday stamps and sentiments: Valentine's, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas and another very large binder for everything else. All are divided into categories like Birthday, Other Celebrations, Images, Home & Garden, Sentiments, Backgrounds, Alphabets. Then each type has it's own page or pages. For example, all "Happy Birthday" is on 1 or 2 pages, candles on another page, cakes and/or cupcakes on another. I do the same for sentiments: thank you, thinking of you, friend, encouragement sayings, sympathy, get well, etc. This shows me all the stamps I have and the different font styles and sizes so I can pick the perfect stamp to go with the card I'm making. I have almost 20 years worth of stamps so my binders have gotten larger over the years and I had to redo them a few years ago but the image gets stamped in the binder before it gets put away and it makes things very easy for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks for all the helpful tips.
Facebook: Got Joy Creations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm tired of searching through everything looking for sentiments......Thanks for all the tips!
Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I followed Melissa's lead and did an index like she describes in this post on her blog.

I've attached a pic of one of the pages that has "love" words on it for a visual. I use the trading card pages for most images/sentiments, but I also have the 8 1/2" x 11" pages that you can put three 4" x 6" photos in for the larger ones. I've got a blog post about my stamp storage/indexing HERE.

There's a whole thread about stamp indexes HERE

Hope any/all of these ideas are helpful to you!
Attached Thumbnails
Sentiments Storage-stamp-index-page.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I have mainly SU also. I broke up a few sets but it was hard ;) The sentiments I broke up were birthday and thank you. It does help. I won't break up the clear mounts. I like to keep the rubber around the set so the small ones don't get lost and if I had a bunch of clear mount all jumbled together it would drive me NUTS!

I do have a binder with my sets stamped in it. Problem is....I haven't updated it in two years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I don't have pictures of what I am doing with my sentiments (not done yet ;) ) but it is patterned after Patter's idea here. She does all her stamps, I did a small flat rolodex with just my sentiments. My stamped rolodex cards are sorted into categories like "birthday" "sympathy" "wedding" "baby" "christmas" "hi" "thinking of you" and so on and so on. I will stamp more than one small stamp on each card, but each is marked with the drawer number where I will find that stamp.

I haven't broken up my sets for better sorting...but I am considering it, believe me! It would save me a bit of space...which means more stamps!
The rolodex file is soooooo cute ;) but it would take a long time to make. I have mine in a three ring binder....but Patter's is soooooo cute ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I followed Melissa's lead and did an index like she describes in this post on her blog.

I've attached a pic of one of the pages that has "love" words on it for a visual. I use the trading card pages for most images/sentiments, but I also have the 8 1/2" x 11" pages that you can put three 4" x 6" photos in for the larger ones. I've got a blog post about my stamp storage/indexing HERE.

I actually put my sentiment stamps behind the index card, and let me tell you it has made life sooooooooooooooo much easier! This works best for unmounted /clear stamps. All I need to do when I want a sentiment is go to the binder and look through the pages, pick something and pull it out. Love how easy it is to find what I want : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseLadyView Post
I actually put my sentiment stamps behind the index card, and let me tell you it has made life sooooooooooooooo much easier! This works best for unmounted /clear stamps. All I need to do when I want a sentiment is go to the binder and look through the pages, pick something and pull it out. Love how easy it is to find what I want : )
I've considered doing that, but I'd have to have too many binders and they'd be bulky and I'd get annoyed... We all have to do what works for each of us, right? I love how many ideas get shared here on SCS, and how everyone does their own "take" on them!

Since I've organized all of my stamps in categories in my storage (not just in my index), sometimes I'll just pull out the appropriate keeper and not even bother with the index! I use the index A LOT when I'm brainstorming ideas, though...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post

I did something very similar to this for all of my stamps, not just sentiments, but instead of paper, I stamped all of my images onto clear acetate using Stazon ink. That way, I can take my index card and hold it up to my project to see how a particular image will look on it (size, font, style, etc) before I commit to the stamp. I find this so much easier than the trial and error method I was using before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
I did something very similar to this for all of my stamps, not just sentiments, but instead of paper, I stamped all of my images onto clear acetate using Stazon ink. That way, I can take my index card and hold it up to my project to see how a particular image will look on it (size, font, style, etc) before I commit to the stamp. I find this so much easier than the trial and error method I was using before.
You know, I've considered doing this for exactly the reason you said! I hate StazOn, though, so it sort of puts me off the whole thing... Stupid reason, I know, but there you are! I am doing ALL of my stamps, though - not just sentiments...

Reply With Quote Likes