Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distress stains

Has anyone tried these? Do you have any tips for me? I bought some yesterday and didn't have any good results with them. I used it on my Inspired by Nature grass stamp and got thick blobby coverage in some spots and not much in others. I thought those would be really fun but so far I'm not liking them. I'll have to find some other way to use them. I did watch one Tim video but he makes everything seems so easy to use.

Marcie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I found I needed to work with them a bit. I love them. I use them to cover large areas of paper fast and make a lot of backgrounds with them. I found that if you use different papers they look so different. Deeper on watercolor paper, soft and fun on glossy paper etc. Have fun experimenting...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

try putting the stain down on a slick surface or craft mat if you have one...spray with a titch of water or some glimmer mist and then *ink* up your stamp...

or you might want to try watercolor paper, put the stain onto your stamp and spritz wtih a titch of water. I did that on this card:

IC327 - Country Inspired Masculine by istamp31 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I also watercolored the sky/grass with them, water and waterbrush.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you for the suggestions. Michelle I love your card. Thanks for sharing.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I thought those Distress Stains were to re-ink your pads. They have the same color names as the Distress pads do. And, our Hobby Lobby has them displayed right below the pads. So, I thought they were the re-inkers. Oh, dear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
I thought those Distress Stains were to re-ink your pads. They have the same color names as the Distress pads do. And, our Hobby Lobby has them displayed right below the pads. So, I thought they were the re-inkers. Oh, dear.
Nope, the re-inkers come in little glass bottles with droppers .
The stains have a dauber, like the StazOn cleaner. If the OP was trying to ink a stamp, I don't think that's primarily what they're intended for - it seems to me that it's a more liquid formulation than the distress inks. I use mine a lot for inking large areas - for example, I often sponge a card base rather than use an extra layer. I've also found them good on chipboard, too, and swiped on a non-stick craft mat and misted as mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
The stains have a dauber, like the StazOn cleaner. If the OP was trying to ink a stamp, I don't think that's primarily what they're intended for - it seems to me that it's a more liquid formulation than the distress inks. I use mine a lot for inking large areas - for example, I often sponge a card base rather than use an extra layer. I've also found them good on chipboard, too, and swiped on a non-stick craft mat and misted as mentioned above.
I understand what you are saying and thats what I thought they were used for, but I saw a video where they applied it directly to the stamp. I'll try the craft mat to ink up my grass stamp that way and see if it works. I might not like either way as I'm kinda ocd and like things just so and am more of a clean and simple card maker.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Tim Holtz Distress Stains | Ranger Ink

Video Tutorial - Tim Holtz Distress Stains | Ranger Ink

randger Inks - distress stains tutorial - Bing Videos

HI! - You may want to check out these videos and informational sites regarding Distress Stains - it may giv you some ideas on using the product.
Good Luck!

P.S. that should read Ranger Inks not Randger Inks but I can't seem to fix it - Sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post

Ya know, Sabrina, Joanne [Angelnorth] tried to set me straight on all the different inks from Ranger, LOL.....but, I thought these were new bottles and I got them for 40% off with a coupon at Hobby Lobby last week. They were $2.99 each. And, I've already "inked" my dry pads. Great. LOL. I knew that Joanne said they'd have a dropper, but, OH NO, I had to go and buy them because they "must be the new bottles." LOL. Oh, well. I don't think that will hurt my ink pads. Just need to be on the lookout for the right stuff. Apparently the staff at HL must thing they go with the pads. All the bottles were in the same rack. Thanks for trying to keep an old gal straightened out. It's hard some days.

Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

If you're still interested in more ideas with the Distress Stains (or just starting out with them), check out the website at the end of this post. They are doing a series this week on Distress Stains--offering tips, techniques, and ideas.

Paper Crafter's Library
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love them -- I have also used them primarily to create backgrounds. Besides using the dauber to your craft sheet first, and then maybe misting, they also work well applied directly to watercolor paper and then spritzed. Brilliant color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

On the Penny Black Inc blog back on Oct 17 last year, there was a video on Distress Stains where the lady used them to make tags and they look amazing. Here is the direct link to the blog. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I had some trouble with mine at first, but it was because I hadn't gotten them flowing enough before applying them to the stamp. I had to lightly press the tip onto my work surface to get the sponge tip wet (or even just press down on the sponge with your finger and you'll hear a little pop that tells you they're ready to go). They don't give a real detailed look with stamps, but are great if you're going for a watercolored look. It's quick and easy to apply ink to a larger stamp with the stains, and they work better with more solid images (detailed images don't really work as well as the ink pools in the little crevices).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you all! I, too, had gotten the complete set thinking they would be so great. But I never was able to get the hang of it. They always looked streaky and blotchy. Now I have a renewed interest in working with them, thanks to all you clever posters!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Glad you are playing around with them again. I wish I had them all..I am so addicted to the white picket fence color..Love that it looks like whitewash over colors...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Sounds like another product I won't be buying. Think I can probably get the same or similar results with what I have. Think it's a marketing ploy to get us to buy more just because it's "NEW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I have the stains, all of them. In fact, in spite of being an early on sceptic on all things Holtz, I finally gave in. You need to know that each of the coloring agents with the HOltz name on it - have very different functions! It really gets confusing now days when they keep coming up with more product!

First, if I had to prioritize the type of TH color/inks nto purchase and use, it would be in this order... but remember this is definitely due to personal preference. (Have friends that are hooked totally on those TH Stains!)

Distress Ink Pads - most concentrated of the inks, they are great for use with sponges and those padded handled things. (Sorry it is late and I am tired!) But also work very well for inking and stamping with stamps of all kinds. Some very cool effects, check out Tim's blog and especially go thru his tags of Christmas - many clear tutorials of all of his various products and uses.

Distress Stains (as above - best used on tag art and other cs for backgrounds, etc. You CAN stamp with this much more diluted distress ink, but it won't give a crisp defined image... more soft and watercolory looking style. I got the whole set, even tried on manilla tags (but I got cheap tags and they pilled and curled and broke down very fast due to dilluted stains! After some Tim tutorials - I saw the light! He recommends using 1-3 colors max per application - THEN HEAT SET that first layer! Then feel free to go bavk and add more layers.... but always remember to heat set each layer of these stains - makes a world of difference. Also, the stains are great when you have FIRST stamped on a tag or CS with an oil based ink permanent like Staz On or Archival Ink... THEN go in and swish those stains across and watch how awesome those resists stand out against the stains! Try a simple splat technique - take stain - make sure daubber part is well covered in wet stain - push it down on craft sheet a few times to wet it after not using in a while. Then hold up high, and bring it down firmly on top of cs or coated papers - hit that paper hard and you get a cool bull's eye in center and stain then splatters out on paper - great bacikground or accent. One thing about stains - is that they are much less able to "control" than his other inks - I can relate to your ocs which is why I was very upset for buying the whole lot of stains only to discover I wasnt crazy about them! But taking Tim's online workshop for two weeks - where is covered the chemistry and basic techniques on tags for all his TH products - I now like my stains! LOL But not as much as his pads and re-inkers.

Manilla tag qualities DO differ and can make a huge difference in how the inks work!
Remember - if you are using clear stamps - to get a crisp image you really need to prime them by stamping with Staz On or other permanent type oil based ink. THEN they will sometimes grab the distress inks and stains better. Especially true with solid stamp styles.

Distress Re-Inkers (needed for pads but also for fun techniques and dying ribbons, etc.) The original ink pads keep wet for some time, but eventually, depending on use you will need to refill the pads - that is where the ink refills with that unique black rubber dropper top come in! They are concentrated ink colors that go with the pads. But check out videos and other utube and blog ideas as reinkers can be used for much more than just re inking the pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I first saw the stains I was like 'whatever'. Then one day I was sitting next to a woman who had one in a card kit she subscribed to, and was using it to make her cards. I don't know that she was overly fussed about them, but I was fascinated. I went to the shop and bought every colour they had at the time (seven I think). To my way of thinking and working, they are very different to the ink pads and the reinkers, but I knew they fit right in with the way I like to create and stamp. I like the 'accidental', imprecise nature of many of Tims techniques. (Markers on the other hand are just not something that I'd get a lot of use out of so I won't be getting any of those).

I would expect an image stamped with stains to be blotchy and uneven. But there are degrees of this that look good and some that look all wrong and sloppy. If the surface of the stamp repels the liquid, the image will be hit and miss, but this can be corrected with conditioning the stamp. I had to practice a few times with getting the right amount of stain on my stamp as I had too much at first. I don't ever consider that I've wasted time or materials when making mistakes as I learn the most from those. It's all good!

It's also okay if you don't like the look you get with stains. Most of my real life stamping buddies wouldn't have stains in their stash, and thats okay too. We all have different techniques and supplies that we're keen on. I tried their Copics once and it did nothing for me, lol.

And remember with all things Tim, embrace the imperfection. Hope you discover the look you're after with these. I think they are fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #19  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subbing

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Found another link yesterday with a tutorial on how to make your own Stains:

DIY “Distress” Stain! � Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if you used a small square of Cut n Dry (not sure if foam or felt, though) & inked it with distress stain, that you would get a better inking of a stamp & sharper stamped image.

Of course, if you already have the same color in distress ink, you wouldn't be trying to stamp with the stain unless you're going for the splotchy/watercolor look.

I bought the gold acrylic paint dabber & have been trying to ink a stamp with it, having to work to not get a splotchy image. Guess I'll be trying my own suggestion.
Reply With Quote Likes