Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Hi! :wink: New n Need Friends

Hi everyone

I am so new to stamping and card making, that I am on a very steep learning curve. My first three months I was so overwhelmed with my demonstrator kit from SU that it sat there. Then I made an effort to join my up-lines class for a few months just to not feel the fear. I mean, 'what was I afraid of?'.

So over the last week more products arrived that I had purchased. Yes love to own them, and admire. (I have more on the way.) So the plan was to make a card all by myself that wasn't pre cut. Well I started to troll the internet, found some amazing sites. I made some cards all by myself just from some design foundations. I have amazed myself.

But now, here I still am on the internet. After a whole week. Now a part of this wonderful group SCS that will become a second home to me I'm sure. (Thanks to the person on their own site that recommended SCS to me. hugs)

Now the delema is finding my way around SCS. So I welcome any new friends. Be prepared for crazy questions in the beginning *sorry in advance.:grin:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to SCS and to SU! Have you joined the SU demonstrators group on SCS? I tried to click your profile to see if you had, but got an error message for some reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Hi and welcome! No questions are crazy - ask away - everyone is very helpful.

Please do join our SU Demo group by clicking "join a group" on the left.

Check out the links in my signature for a little orientation and let me know if I can help you with anything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you for your replies. Jessica I am about to try and find the SU forum and join. Not sure if I will need more inspiration as I am already tied to this laptop and shying away from the housework and the to do lists... Not to mention my Husband returns today from his trip. :-/ Sorry like the funny side of things. I am looking forward to, and rubbing hands together in eager anticipation to joining. A crazy madwoman comes to mind here. Beside herself with the new toy.

Lydia thank you for the in-depth prompts. I have clicked on each one. Love your site and will be back for another look at your videos. I also now have an idea on how to upload a card - of which I have four I can up-load. Yay And lastly I have joined the Fan Club. More inspiration. Just what my family will want. *mum has a hobby and no time for us. :-) Actually it's nice to finally allow myself the time and money for one. Thx again for the help. Please don't be a stranger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #5  

Waaaaiiiiittttt - people do housework???? Bite your tongue!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

lol, you guys are hilarious. Welcome, lets_get_crafty! I'd suggest to create before buying more stuff. Take advice from a person who's been at this for a while, lol. At the beginning most of us buy stuff like CRAZY and then either never use it or barely do so. So now that you're browsing the site and have just started out, try to get a feel for which style you like the best and which style it is you want to develop in your creative process. Maybe you like the cute, whimsical look or maybe you like vintage style or you like very feminine and frilly. Or maybe you like them all and want to work with all those styles!
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Hi and welcome from New Zealand! Housework?? whats that?! Starting off card making is very exciting and can be quite overwhelming not knowing what products you will actually use. I started by getting books on card making from the library and checking the lists of equipment against the cards I liked. Soon a pattern emerged and I realised I loved stamping and pigments (pens, markers, ink pads, paints) so I have concentrated on those. Do ask any questions. As Lydia says, there is no such thing as a silly (or crazy) question and we all love to help newbies!
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Hello Pixxie, Stephanie and Parrish,
I have to say 'It's too late', I have bought so much I now own the shop. Only thing I don't have enough of, is paper.....
I also don't own any copics. :-S Considering I haven't coloured for forever. Not knowing how my middle aged eyesight will be at colouring in the lines, let alone those fabulous shading techniques, they are on the wait and see. I would love to develop the skills though.
My first question to you all is; I have tried to upload a photo and it is small and under the kb that it needs to be, but it will not take it? Any thoughts? (I thought it might be nice for you to know what I look like. Or perhaps that I don't look as zany as I sound. :-) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Looking forward to a photo of you! An easier and cheaper option for learning shading skills would be watercolour pencils or crayons. Then all you need is a small brush and a pot of water. You don't need watercolour paper, just reasonably thick card, around 200 to 250gsm. Watercolour paper is 300gsm.
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Help? I have tried again to upload a photo in avitar. I am still getting the message 'unable to save image'. The file is 76 x80 so it fits into the parameters. ???? I'm stumped. Any ideas????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #11  

Yeah... I think we are having a site problem. I let our tech team know last night. Sorry about that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lets_get_craftyView Post
Hello Pixxie, Stephanie and Parrish,
I have to say 'It's too late', I have bought so much I now own the shop. Only thing I don't have enough of, is paper.....
I also don't own any copics. :-S Considering I haven't coloured for forever. Not knowing how my middle aged eyesight will be at colouring in the lines, let alone those fabulous shading techniques, they are on the wait and see. I would love to develop the skills though.
My first question to you all is; I have tried to upload a photo and it is small and under the kb that it needs to be, but it will not take it? Any thoughts? (I thought it might be nice for you to know what I look like. Or perhaps that I don't look as zany as I sound. :-) )
LOL I know what that's like! I bought EVERYTHING at the beginning. Now that I've developed my style, I only have 2 drawers full of stamps, three letter-sized storage bins full of inks (which I rarely use, by the way!), a tub of embellishments, my big shot with nesties and other dies and embossing folders, a shoebox-sized plastic bin with my basic tools out on the desk, a huge storage bin full of card stock, a tub with patterned paper, a xyron (almost never use), a bind it all (also almost never use), a guillotine, some punches, and my Copics. I will tidy up my current mess and take pics. Actually, I'll take a few pics now. I consider I have very little stuff compared to some of the pics I've seen of whole rooms full of crafty goodies, but even so the mess seems to creep up very easily!

Will be back to share the pics with you

Also, not to be an enabler, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Copics! I have around 300 of them and "need" the new colors and also a few others which I'm missing. Also want to get the Spica pens.

You said you need more paper. What did you mean? Card stock or patterned paper?
If it's patterned paper, I suggest buying the 6x6 pads. I have hundreds of 12x12 loose sheets and it's a pain in the behind trying to coordinate them. Also, most of these sheets have bigger patterns which are hard to show off on smaller cards.
Card stock? I have all sorts of different companies. I have Papertrey Ink, Bazzil, old Stampin' Up!, Colorbok, etc. I love having all those colors. I never have a problem finding some coordinating card stock for any of the hundreds of different patterned papers by all sorts of companies that I have. So many will tell you to stick with a company, but I prefer to get my card stock from different ones. I plan to add Gina K card stock to my collection when I've used up more of mine. And when I'm done using up my patterned paper a few years from now (sigh) I will stick to my own advice and only get the 6x6 pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Oooh, wanted to add- if you use Ebay, look out for Copic lots. I purchased one lot of 100 Copics for about $325 and then another lot shows up: 298 Copics for $750! This was a crafter selling off her collection. I debated it for a few hours and took the plunge. Since the 100 Copics I bought first were brand new, I sold them off here except for 2 of them which the huge used lot did not include. No point in having repeated markers since these you can refill and they will last a lifetime. If you divide the cost, each of the Copics cost me about $2.50! Granted, they were used, but the listing said they had been used sparingly and I do believe she was honest about it because so far none of them have run out. So if you do want to invest in these, have a careful look around Ebay. Or visit the Buy/sell threads here. But be sure to price shop, ok? No impulse buys! Look carefully around for the bestest price out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Welcome lets_get_crafty!! How fun to be a beginner again!! I have been scrap/stamping for about 12 yrs now and still adore it!! But the excitement of a "NEW" stamper is so much fun!! I'm so happy you found SCS, what a great asset all of these wonderful ladies are.

The one thing I wish my first demo would have shared with me was that I didn't have to purchase a boat load of stamp pads, that if you stamp off you can get a lighter shade of the same color you're working with. Also, I have recently "fell in love" with the Versa Fine Black Onyx pad. Whenever I'm trying to get a nice "Dark" crisp image or fine image, that works amazingly well!! I just purchased mine not too long ago and Love~LOVE~Love it!!!

Enjoy!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Hello Gizelabella and thanks for your advice. I have a black versa mark coming in one of the next two deliveries. :-)

Pixxie, I think when it comes to supplies I have gone heavy on the punches and the embossing folders... I love the precise edges the punches create and the embossing folders speak for themselves. When I talk card stock I'm thinking basic coloured card. I wish it was a little less expensive, as that is something that I seem to be using a lot of. Considering I don't have much card and have only made a few cards probably speaks for itself why I have placed 3 orders in the one week. :-) Originally I only ordered packets of multiple colours. Problem here is, great to trial, but once I have made a card half of it is used. So any ideas where to buy paper from? But I'm guessing it's the same cost no matter who the supplier is.

Here I am, on the photo.... Thanks Lydia for fixing the glitch. I thought it was me. :-) Not the greatest shot but it will do. As you can see I have a very tall husband. I'm not short! Hahaha No really I'm not, I just look it. Actually he just likes hogging the shots. I had to crop him out..... a lot! hehehe

So have a great day everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lets_get_craftyView Post
When I talk card stock I'm thinking basic coloured card. I wish it was a little less expensive, as that is something that I seem to be using a lot of. Considering I don't have much card and have only made a few cards probably speaks for itself why I have placed 3 orders in the one week. :-) Originally I only ordered packets of multiple colours. Problem here is, great to trial, but once I have made a card half of it is used. So any ideas where to buy paper from? But I'm guessing it's the same cost no matter who the supplier is.
I had the same problem of using up a lot of coloured card. What I do now is I use cheaper basic white card from a stationers at at weight of around 200-250gsm (grams per square metre) and make the folded card out of that, then I adhere a cut piece of coloured card to the front. That way I can get four cards out of one A4 piece of coloured card. Hope this makes sense!
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Well, I like the quality of Stampin' Up and Papertrey Ink. Bazzil are sold at local stores and I like those too, though they are thinner card stock. Gina K card stock is also heavy, but I have not tried it out personally yet. I love the colors on the website, though.
Yes, I would say plain card as you call it is a basic. I'm not sure I could get by just on white card stock! Unless I stuck to a particular style, Clean and Simple.
I don't know anything about where to get things in Australia, though. You might want to try online shopping for it, although the shipping is bound to get heavy unless you manage to buy enough to qualify for free shipping. I stocked up on Papertrey Ink card stock because I wanted the card stock anyway and by purchasing over $100, I qualified for free shipping.

I am attaching a few pics of my craft area. There's a few more where those came from.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi! :wink: New n Need Friends-p3060653.jpg   Hi! :wink: New n Need Friends-p3060664.jpg   Hi! :wink: New n Need Friends-p3060658.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkesView Post
I had the same problem of using up a lot of coloured card. What I do now is I use cheaper basic white card from a stationers at at weight of around 200-250gsm (grams per square metre) and make the folded card out of that, then I adhere a cut piece of coloured card to the front. That way I can get four cards out of one A4 piece of coloured card. Hope this makes sense!
Stephanie
Oh yeah, that's a great idea to cut down on card stock usage! I make card fronts and adhere them to a white card base for the most part. Instead of using half a sheet on a card, I get 4 A2 pieces of colored card stock per sheet of paper. You don't know how much paper I have wasted when I try making one layer cards. So I just work with a quarter sheet and then adhere to a card base of cheaper white card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes