Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What do you do with the INSIDE of your cards?

While gazing and drooling over all the wonderful creations in the Gallery, I've noticed that you can see just the mere glimpse of the insides of some of the cards. They look almost as lovely as the outside! Would some of you weigh in on this topic and give your opinion about decorating the inside of your card...other than adding a sentiment if there isn't one on the outside already.

Also, I would LOVE to see some pictures added here in this thread as attachments so that we could see some of the wonderful "workings" going on inside the cards.

Comments? Photos?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually add an insert to my cards using good quality printing paper and I use a small stamp to echo the front of the card or punch the edge of the insert as well as adding a stamped sentiment.

What do you do with the INSIDE of your cards?-013.jpg

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

rusticus, wish you could have been here when I clicked on your picture. It popped up and I said out loud, "Oh, isn't that sweet?"

I have to admit that I have stamped either the same image on the inside or one that coordinates as you have mentioned. I like the idea that you punched decorative corners as well.

If I run across one of the pictures that prompted this question, I'll post a link to it. It's not all the time and I haven't paid any attention to see if it's just one or two particular stampers. I saw one yesterday and that got me to wondering.

Thank you so much! I love your little tree stamp with the birds!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sometimes I will completely finish the inside to match the front. When the front has a lot of layers, the weight balances out better that way. I typically don't upload the inside photos to the gallery, but here's an example on my blog: Angels Landing Digi-Stamps Blog � Nature Babies Lamb and Chick Card.

More often, I'll run a strip of dp across the bottom of the inside, finished with a border punch. You can see the inside border's edge in this photo: Chipmunk & Vinca Card by Crafts - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers . It extends the full width of the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Heart Some samples

Ok...went looking in "My Favorites" and the Gallery. I hope these lovely ladies don't mind me using their cards for examples. I wish I could stamp like ALL of you, so I am not being negative in any way. Some of these are more detailed inside than others. I love that look. I guess I'm just wondering if more people do it than not. Or, do you have any other ideas? When I look at pictures in the Gallery, I REALLY look at pictures. You have to study these to see how the outside theme is being carried over onto the inside. Some are more elaborate than others. And, really, I can't find the card that prompted this thread. It was prettier on the inside than my cards are on the outside. ***sigh***

There are lots of layers on the inside as well. I do realize when you use a dark cardstock, you are going to have to line it with something lighter. But, these artists take that idea to an entirely new level.

Sure hope you have time to look at these lovely cards. [I'm amazed by how many "Forum" people don't go to the Gallery and by how many "Gallery" people don't go to the "Forum." Strange....

SC368 ~ Snow Happy For You ~ by Toy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

MMTPT169, QFTD82, SC353, Silly little Monkey Toes by kokirose - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

IC159 -- So Glad by MakiJ - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Cris....CC363 by Bailmac - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

CC359, Embrace Life (PR) by kokirose - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

FS259, CT0112, Thank you SEW Much by kokirose - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

FS258, CT0112, You're Tweet! by kokirose - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Judi,

Yes, that is what I'm talking about. You must have posted while I was typing my long soliloquy on "inside card trimming." LOL. I'm more likely to finish mine like "rusticus" and your second example shows. I may try to "amp up" my inside. I guess I should try to "amp up" my fronts first. LOL. Oh, well...some of us are slow learners. Thanks so much, Judi. I appreciate the links to your blog!

Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW! I am so happy to have come across this post!! Rusticus, I love the inside of your card! I have not ever decorated the inside but sometimes will stamp the envelope with a coordinating stamp. I think I have some work to do on my existing stash!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Be aware that it's a slippery slope, Beverly. Once you start decorating the insides of a few cards, things will look unfinished to you unless you do it on all of them. ;)

At least, that's been my experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Usually, the only time I finish the inside of a card is if its one I'm making "just because" I'm playing around in my room or for a swap. Otherwise, I'm trying to get the darn thing finished in time to get it in the mail so I don't have time to finish the inside...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Nowadays I always decorate the inside of my cards - and the envelope as well! Judi is so right - once you start doing it you'll have to carry on with it 'cos cards won't look finished to you otherwise!

I always decorated my envelopes but only did the insides for really special cards. Then I just started doing it more often and now it's for EVERY card. The people who receive your cards love it, I get so many comments about how nice it was to get a fancy inside.

I don't upload pics of the insides and envelopes here to the SCS gallery but there are always pics on my blog. The last card I blogged (haven't uploaded it to SCS yet) is here if you'd like to check it out.
Flower Sparkle: Brickwork, Bunting & Butterfly Window Congratulations Card
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Fubsyruth where did u get the brick and window dies / embossing folders ???!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I almost always use a top note die cut on the inside and usually a strip of coordinating paper- great way to use the scraps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by amberfiteView Post
Fubsyruth where did u get the brick and window dies / embossing folders ???!!!
I know - fab aren't they?! I've had the brick embossing folder for quite a while but the window die is a new purchase and I just love using the two items together! The window is a Poppystamps 'Grand Madison Window' die - there is a smaller sized one too.
View the [815] DIES- Grand Madison Window at http://www.poppystamps.com

The embossing folder is called 'Brick' and it's made by Creative Expressions.
Embossing Folder - Brick Creative Expressions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually forget to stamp inside, but I do like the look. The design team at MFT always makes the inside of their cards look just as cute as the outside. I made a card last week and remembered to stamp inside. Here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
What do you do with the INSIDE of your cards?-img_3546.jpg   What do you do with the INSIDE of your cards?-img_3545.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I always leave the insides of my cards blank, boring I know....LOL

I'm almost positive that there was a splitcoast challenge awhile back in which we were to stamp/decorate the inside of our cards. I tried to find it because I thought it might be fun to look through that gallery, but I can't find it. Does anyone remember that challenge?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Most of my cards are blank on the inside, too--unless the card is specific to an occasion. for example, if the card is obviously a birthday card, I'll go ahead and stamp the inside. If it's just a "fun/all occasion" type of card, I often leave it blank and add the sentiment for a specific reason when I'm ready to send that card out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
I always leave the insides of my cards blank, boring I know....LOL

I'm almost positive that there was a splitcoast challenge awhile back in which we were to stamp/decorate the inside of our cards. I tried to find it because I thought it might be fun to look through that gallery, but I can't find it. Does anyone remember that challenge?
Maybe this one? TLC266 ~ Inside Out ~ (03/29/10) by Toy at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Wow! Quite the response going on here. I don't have time right now to read everything and will come back later...but, several things stood out as I skimmed quickly through the responses. I guess I'll start at the end and go to the beginning. Judi found the challenge that Patty [your cards are always lovely] was talking about. I raced through that challenge and two funny things. "Toy" was the giver of the challenge and one of her cards was my first sample card above. "Kokirose" stated in the challenge that she never does the insides and we all know that she changed after that because three of her cards were my last samples. Too funny.

Mary Rose's cards are ALWAYS adorable in every way. Loved "FubsyRuth's" example.

I am like "Scrappy_Carla," I tend to use a die cut and a strip of coordinating paper on the inside. I do decorate my envelopes to match. Love doing that. And, last night as I fell asleep I did think that finishing off the inside would balance out the weight of the card better...if you are a stamper who like layers, it would be heavier on the front and tend to "flop" when you open it and hold it by the backside.

Love all the talk this is generating. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
Sometimes I will completely finish the inside to match the front. When the front has a lot of layers, the weight balances out better that way. I typically don't upload the inside photos to the gallery, but here's an example on my blog: Angels Landing Digi-Stamps Blog � Nature Babies Lamb and Chick Card.

More often, I'll run a strip of dp across the bottom of the inside, finished with a border punch. You can see the inside border's edge in this photo: Chipmunk & Vinca Card by Crafts - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers . It extends the full width of the card.
Both cards are just beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Judi "Crafts",

Sarah's praise of your card sent me looking. I thought I had mentioned how beautiful your card was and when I went back and checked I noticed that I didn't. I must have thought it to myself when I was looking on your blog and by the time I got back to type a comment...it was out of my brain. I am SO sorry, because it is the sweetest card with a lovely inside. And, yes...I imagine it is a slippery slope. I wonder how many people were inspired to finish off their cards on the inside once that Challenge ended? I'll wager to say it was "bunches!"

Thanks, Judi.
Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #21  

Quote:

That's it! Thanks for posting the link for us
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

While we're on the subject of the inside of cards, I wanted to show an adorable envelope that was stamped. It was so stinkin' cute that I've saved it! This came from our very own Beverly, aka Ravioli Girl! Love you, Beverly!
Attached Thumbnails
What do you do with the INSIDE of your cards?-img_3549.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #23  

LOL.....I like the upside-down image under the stamp...too cute! Great idea Beverly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sarah and Beverly, thanks so much for your nice comments on my cards. So sweet of you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
... And, last night as I fell asleep I did think that finishing off the inside would balance out the weight of the card better...if you are a stamper who like layers, it would be heavier on the front and tend to "flop" when you open it and hold it by the backside. ...
Exactly. That's what I was referring to in post #4. When the front has multiple layers and embellishments, adding a layer or two to the inside helps to balance the weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Sarah and Beverly, thanks so much for your nice comments on my cards. So sweet of you.

Exactly. That's what I was referring to in post #4. When the front has multiple layers and embellishments, adding a layer or two to the inside helps to balance the weight.
Yep...I was thinking about your comment, Judi. Love that chipmunk image...I put a comment on your Gallery posting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
While we're on the subject of the inside of cards, I wanted to show an adorable envelope that was stamped. It was so stinkin' cute that I've saved it! This came from our very own Beverly, aka Ravioli Girl! Love you, Beverly!
Mary Rose...you're so funny. I can't believe you kept that, but I'm glad that you did. It reminds me that I would like to brag on the lady that makes that "Little Ladies" line. I have a nice little bunch of those sweet gals, unmounted, just bare rubber. Also, have one that is wood mounted. I bought those over 15 years ago at a convention. Somehow I ran into the lady that does those designs when I was "window shopping" on Etsy. I've never bought anything there, but I sure love to look. She had a few of her images listed and I went to look at the wood one I had and sure enough, same gal. I emailed her and turns out she had gotten out of the rubber business when her hubby turned ill. She is trying to find her way back again.

I just now went to find her and am having trouble. If I do, I'll provide a link. That little one under the stamp was designed just for that. It has the outline of a postage stamp over top of her little body. Too funny.

Wouldn't it be neat if we could get her going again with some business from the SCS community? That is...if you like her type of images.

Thanks, Mary Rose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much for your lovely comments That stamp is only a small one but so useful and it gets used a lot!

Quote:

rusticus, wish you could have been here when I clicked on your picture. It popped up and I said out loud, "Oh, isn't that sweet?"

I have to admit that I have stamped either the same image on the inside or one that coordinates as you have mentioned. I like the idea that you punched decorative corners as well.

If I run across one of the pictures that prompted this question, I'll post a link to it. It's not all the time and I haven't paid any attention to see if it's just one or two particular stampers. I saw one yesterday and that got me to wondering.

Thank you so much! I love your little tree stamp with the birds!

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

What beautiful creations you have all done to the insides of your cards. Quite makes mine look like Plain Jane
Mary Rose thank you for showing us Beverly's envelope..I, too, would have kept that! Love it.

Judi you are quite right that now a card isn't completed until it has either an insert or decorated in some way.

Great thread Beverly

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusticusView Post
What beautiful creations you have all done to the insides of your cards. Quite makes mine look like Plain Jane
Mary Rose thank you for showing us Beverly's envelope..I, too, would have kept that! Love it.

Judi you are quite right that now a card isn't completed until it has either an insert or decorated in some way.

Great thread Beverly
rusticus,
This thread IS fun, isn't it? I'm so tickled that you were the first to respond and you are from, how do they say it, "across the pond." This will give all of us an opportunity to see and hear new things. That's what I love about this site. I'll bet that you have access to all kinds of different stamps than we do here. I remember seeing a line of stamps from somewhere that are all sold in a "tin." Such an adorable way to sell stamps instead of a plastic container. Wish I could remember where I saw those. Hmmm...I'm going to have to go hunting again..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I sometimes just take my Top Note die and run off a few different light colored papers and then affix one to the inside of a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by FubsyRuthView Post
I know - fab aren't they?! I've had the brick embossing folder for quite a while but the window die is a new purchase and I just love using the two items together! The window is a Poppystamps 'Grand Madison Window' die - there is a smaller sized one too.
View the [815] DIES- Grand Madison Window at http://www.poppystamps.com

The embossing folder is called 'Brick' and it's made by Creative Expressions.
Embossing Folder - Brick Creative Expressions
Thank u
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

rusticus,
This thread IS fun, isn't it? I'm so tickled that you were the first to respond and you are from, how do they say it, "across the pond." This will give all of us an opportunity to see and hear new things. That's what I love about this site. I'll bet that you have access to all kinds of different stamps than we do here. I remember seeing a line of stamps from somewhere that are all sold in a "tin." Such an adorable way to sell stamps instead of a plastic container. Wish I could remember where I saw those. Hmmm...I'm going to have to go hunting again..
Gel-a-tins are clear stamps that used to be sold in tins. All the recent ones I have seen are like other clear stamps on a sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

I do think it's a good idea to decorate the inside of the card. It's so funny because some time last week I discovered a lovely lady on youtube (PrariePaperandInk) and she decorated the inside of her card and it was the first time I'd actually seen that and now there is a thread with lots of decorated insides. These cards are very lovely. I do hope to one day become as skilled as all of you ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Kristen, these were wood mounted rubber stamps and they were in darling tins. I just CANNOT remember where I saw them. I was thinking there were a company outside the U.S. I'm going to have to sleep on it and hope my brain solves that problem while I'm dreaming.

Hi, TyMyra! Nice to see you on this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by liptonteeView Post
I do think it's a good idea to decorate the inside of the card. It's so funny because some time last week I discovered a lovely lady on youtube (PrariePaperandInk) and she decorated the inside of her card and it was the first time I'd actually seen that and now there is a thread with lots of decorated insides. These cards are very lovely. I do hope to one day become as skilled as all of you ladies.
LOL that's me! I was just going to post that I *always* decorate the inside of my cards - been doing it for years now. My cards don't feel complete 'till the inside is done. I always show the inside too when I post them on my blog or post card making videos.

Like other's have said once you start it's hard to NOT finish the inside
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Smile

The stamps in tins: This might have been it...they have Paper Tape too and tons of other beautiful paper items.

Oh...the country? San Francisco!

Cavallini Tags, Tape, Stamps

Cavallini & Co. - New Products
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

I don't decorate the inside of my card. Don't even want to start it in case I get hooked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyceLView Post
I don't decorate the inside of my card. Don't even want to start it in case I get hooked.
Joyce,

I'm thinking that IS indeed going to be the problem. What do you have available to you in Singapore that you can't find anywhere else, in the way of stamping supplies? Just wondering???????

Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

rusticus,
Yes Beverly I am from 'across the pond'. Please don't hold it against me
There are quite a few UK based stamp manufacturers but many of these now sell internationally and, of course, we get plenty of US based companies stamps over here although there are some stamps I see on US sites that I long for. The phrase 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence' springs to mind here!
Couldn't recall seeing any stamps in a tin over here and then you finally solved the problem I would want to empty the tin so I could 'alter' it !!

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you for the wonderful ideas and your beautiful cards! I also usually put a sentiment on the inside - computer generated most often allowing room for a written note. Sometimes will add a border, part of the stamped image, or die cut, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes