View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #2889
Inkin One
Crimping Master

I am the opposite. I hate that darn colorless blender pencil..something about the way it scratches the paper sets my teeth on edge LOL. I love the " painterly" look I get with my OMS..I don't mind traveling with it. I have put some in a waterbrush and use it that way..which takes some practice..but will work if you need it too.I have never used baby oil as I was never sure what the oil would do to finished pieces of art work in the long run. I don't really use the colorless blender marker either..never had much luck with that..so I just stick to my stumps and OMS.

I do find that I am experimenting more with paper and haven't find quite the right fit for me yet. I have been using my drawing paper ( mostly Bristol) and that works,but I am not sure how it will die cut since it is so smooth. I don't care for SU whisper white for colored pencils..they don't blend at all, for me anyway. I do like to layer a lot of colors..same with my water colors too. I have tried GP and that mostly works well for me and it isnt that expensive if I trash a piece of it LOL. I also just ordered some Neenah but haven't tried that yet but will some time today.I honestly think that paper is probably the most critical thing for good results.

As far as for what to do with the short pencils..I have never used a pencil extender for my colored pencils. I have a couple around here that I use for my charcoal. Instead I save those short pencils and when my new one get short I super glue the two bottom pieces together. You end up with a pencil sharpend on both ends..but by that time they are really short so it doesn't matter. I personally feel that I lose a bit of control of my pencils when that extender comes between me and it..that is just me though. I say find what works for you and run with it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!