Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good quality cardstock question

On many SCS swaps and on other sites requesting cards, I've seen the phrase, "Please use good quality cardstock only" or something similar. Does that mean SU, PTI and Gina K only, or are there others that would fall into that category? I used to use SU cardstock almost exclusively, but now that I'm a stay-at-home mom on a budget I usually use Georgia Pacific or Wassau cardstock, at least for my base layers. Are these considered "good quality" or would I need to purchase more expensive cardstock? I would love to participate in swaps and/or donating cards, but I'm not sure if the cardstock I have on hand would be acceptable in most cases or if I need to buy from one of these companies instead.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would ask the hostess of the swap you are interested in to be sure. Everyone has different expectations. I, for one, think the SU/PTI/GinaK are a different quality than Georgia Pacific, but would not care about it being used as a base layer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I would ask the hostess just to be sure (since not all the swaps are the same). I almost always put in my swaps to use good quality card stock so that I don't have people sending me cards made with construction paper, copy paper, etc. (That's never happened to me, but I like to make sure my swappers are using card stock). Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

There are many companies that have excellent cardstock slong with the ones the OP mentioned. AMuse, CTMH, Marco's, etc. all have beautiful cardstock. I would think as long as it was reasonably heavy it would be okay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

AC Cardstock is really nice as well, and I think it really deepends on what "you" think is good... DCWV is not bad, but I don't like it because most of it is white core... It would be a good idea to ask the person involved what they want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A few years ago I purchase the card stock in a package at Mike's and thought it would be good, but once I opened the package I realized that it would not hold up with anything it had adhered to it, very flimsy, lesson learned. Spend a little bit more and buy sturdy card stock. I use to join in on recipe swaps and card swaps and the hostess would always state, "good quality card stock" and I would receive swaps back with card stock that was closer to construction paper than card stock, so no more swaps for me, tired of sending in good stuff and getting not so good stuff back.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the responses! I am a die-hard bargain shopper but I guess I should probably suck it up and buy some of the nicer stuff now and then!! Thanks again.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairsingerView Post
Thanks for the responses! I am a die-hard bargain shopper but I guess I should probably suck it up and buy some of the nicer stuff now and then!! Thanks again.
ME TOO.... I had a friend that would hand pick solid cardstock from Michaels or where ever and she would spend .69 cents a sheet and I would tell her "YOU ARE CRAZY" and I would never do it, but would have to admit that her stuff look really good... I started hand picking solids when they would go on sell.... and really liked it but I didn't like the cost, or the fact that you could never find the color you need, I had the hardest time finding red and brown... they would only 1 sheet of the red I needed...

And this is really the honest truth... I then found Stampin' Up and that was my answer... I still use other cardstock and there are times I find a good deal on stuff, AC cardstock is really good and Bazzil is good, but I have found even with shipping cost Buying Stampin' Up Cardstock is not only a good price but its amazing cardstock and I can always get the same color as I need it.

I've started using it for all my stuff!!!!!!! Its worth looking into and there are really great SU demos out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I would have to agree that generally when this is stated in a swap description, it is because some people will send cards, etc. made on kids' construction paper or copy paper. But that being said, most people who are doing swaps do prefer higher quality paper than even what Michael's sells in the packs. Some individual sheets there are of good quality and nice but yes, you are paying just as much for those as if you ordered a pack from SU, or A Muse, or GinaK, or Papertrey, etc. If you have a scrapbooking or paper store near you, even they will have Bazill or other quality cardstocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
I would have to agree that generally when this is stated in a swap description, it is because some people will send cards, etc. made on kids' construction paper or copy paper. But that being said, most people who are doing swaps do prefer higher quality paper than even what Michael's sells in the packs. Some individual sheets there are of good quality and nice but yes, you are paying just as much for those as if you ordered a pack from SU, or A Muse, or GinaK, or Papertrey, etc. If you have a scrapbooking or paper store near you, even they will have Bazill or other quality cardstocks.
Ummm I don't agree with all this ... first when you buy packs at Walmart they are NOT ALWAYS just as good as say SU or PTI ... Some DCWV is white core and I know some people who think that white core cards stock is crap. (I don't mind it for some things and it doesn't really make a difference to me with some stuff) However I know a few people have been down right angry to recieve swap card done on white core paper, they feel like it makes it look cheep. (not good quality)

And some paper packs come with "solid card stock" and it is as strudy as other card stocks

With SU when you brake it down its cheeper to buy a pack from them then it is to hand pick paper from Micheals/joanns/hobby lobby/ac moore .... I don't know about PTI because I haven't bought from them.

There is no comparing some of the paper you can get in the store to say SU or PTI card stock .....

This has alot to do with how some one feel about cardstock or what they like and don't like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I think most people mean "heavier" when they say "better quality cardstock." Knowing the weight of the cardstock you want is helpful. Currently, Michael's heaviest weight cardstock is 110 pound. It helps to know Gina K's luxury is 120 pound. Lighter cardstock may be good quality too but for different uses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

And I do mean yes you can get good stuff at the store, you just have to be careful what you are getting, I only meant that just because its in the store doesn't mean its great, and there are some places online that you can great stuff without it costing alot as one might think its going to cost more becuase its online...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairsingerView Post
I had to smile when I read your post. I do have to say though, I have a friend who always uses very flimsy cardstock. When ever I receive a card from her, I am so sad at the work she put into it, and the quality of the cardstock isn't the greatest. To me, it takes away from the card. Her Christmas cards are always so pretty, but when I hold them, they literally tilt this way and that, because of the flimsy base. Please don't flame me, this is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And you need to remember that just because the package say it is #110, does not mean much either! There are so many different grades and weights on paper, you need shop with your hands! Feel the paper, the grain, the texture and the weight!

There is good paper everywhere, you just need to shop for it and you will get what you pay for! Coredinations Smooth and Bazzill Basic both are good grade and weight paper and can be purchased on sale for affordable prices!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamp'n In The Light

Received 276 Likes on 189 Posts

sub
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
There is good paper everywhere, you just need to shop for it and you will get what you pay for! Coredinations Smooth and Bazzill Basic both are good grade and weight paper and can be purchased on sale for affordable prices!
I have used Bazzill but I'm not sure if I've purchased Coredinations before. Thanks for the recommendations!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought two packs of Georgia Pacific cardstock because I heard such good things about it. It's a nice bright, 110 lb. cardstock, but not very sturdy. I'll probably end up using it for playing, experimenting, stamping & punching out sentiments, etc. But I think I'm going to have to get something heavier for a card base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

99% of my cs is SU, PTI and Gina K's super heavy weight white. There is also an independent craft store in town that carries a good selection of Bazzil in both sizes. Haven't tried Coredinations yet, I want to get the Distress colors pack! Michael's and Joann's cardstock is lighter in weight-65lb-so I use that in white and cream the inside of a card.

My personal idea of "good quality" is heavier weight. And it's true, you really have to feel it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Yes, I think some good cardstock can be found at stores and I agree with someone who said about receiving cards made on a thinner cardstock....especially if you like to embellish or layer. It just doesn't quite hold up to that kind of weight!

Last edited by kspiv; 02-29-2012 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually use PTI for my card bases, but Hobby Lobby has a 80 lb white that is pretty good for card bases. They also have a Coredinations pad of 80 lb cardstock that is good quality and goes on sale often for 50% off. (80 sheets for 10$ I think...) AND they have a great Kraft cardstock. I'd try that!
Reply With Quote Likes