Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please.I have had my second vagabond die

It's only me. I dont do any sales or contest or any other heavy use and I have had two Vagabonds break. I am following the correct sandwichs to cut and emboss. Can anyone reccoomend some thing more lasting power that does what that machine is supposed to do?The nearest local stamping store is 40 miles away in another state.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Perhaps a Big Shot Pro unless you need the mechanized die cutter? There are several members who own a Big Shot Pro, including me, and love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

How does it break? I have had one for about a year and had no problem.

I would definitely contact Tim and let him know what is going on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Default Vagabond machine

OMG, how awful. I just received mine and took it out of the box, but have yet a chance to play! If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase from? How long have you had each one before they broke? Did the motor just die or what happened? I would definitely contact Tim Holtz as he maybe able to help you. Go to Tim Holtz and send him a message. If he does not help you I would be really surprised and also disappointed.

Best of luck to you & please let us all know what Tim/ or Sizzix will do for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Sizzix is who you need to contact - not Tim, he's the designer not the manufacturer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

The first one I perchased in El Paso at my local scrapbooking store ( 40 mi. away and in another state). It gradually just started only pressing down on one side so I had to run everything through the machine at least a couple of times after turning what I was cutting or embossing half or quarter turns.I fianlly got tired of that and took it back to the store thinking they had someone there that would adjust it- you know like at a sewing machine place.They told me to contact sizzix & I did. I sent them the receipt & within days a new machine appeared at my door! I was so happy!! On Sat. afternoon I cut out some tattered flowers- they were beautiful! Sun. afternoon I cut out a heart and when I ran it through the machine I heard a loud pop. Now it only makes noise and doesnt do anything. I was so upset I wrote to all the experts here. I guess I should try to get ahold of Szizzix again this week but I just couldn't believe it happened.I loved the die cuts and embossing but I just want something that works. I dont take anything anywhere and it's just me at home playing with my toys- not hard heavy use or abuse.Thank you all for the kind words of advise and encouragment
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

you've had some bad luck! definitely contact sizzix again. how frustrating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Thank-you Victoria, you are 100% correct on that one! :p

I would definitely contact Sizzix, I'm sure they will do right by you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I sent them an E-mail this am. Now we wait....I will let you kind folks know if something happens
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh my, poor you. You are like that "Peanuts" character, little Pigpen, who goes around with the black cloud over his head. So sorry it happened, again.

I hope Sizzix makes it right for you.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Here is a toll free number for sizzix if you are in the US

1 877 355 4766

It might be quicker if you talk to someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleoneView Post
I cut out a heart and when I ran it through the machine I heard a loud pop.
The loud pop makes me wonder if your sandwich may have been too thick. Every machine has a different amount of tautness (I think that is the word?) and you may have needed to adjust your sandwich thickness. Was the sandwich hard to feed into the machine?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Cinnistew- I went out and tried the sandwich that I used on my old one and I'm guessing it was probably too thick altought it didn't seem especilly hard to feed into the machine, but it my first machine it would have been way too thin and I would have had 3 sheet of cardstock in the sandwich. Is there really that much variation in machines?? I wish I would have known that!I couldn't be around the house today so will try calling Szizzix tomorrow.Thank you all for the information. When I save up abunch of money again I will go for something without a motor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I feel ur pain!

Quote:

Cinnistew- I went out and tried the sandwich that I used on my old one and I'm guessing it was probably too thick altought it didn't seem especilly hard to feed into the machine, but it my first machine it would have been way too thin and I would have had 3 sheet of cardstock in the sandwich. Is there really that much variation in machines?? I wish I would have known that!I couldn't be around the house today so will try calling Szizzix tomorrow.Thank you all for the information. When I save up abunch of money again I will go for something without a motor
Hey Girl, When my cuttlebug broke, my heart went with it. It was my first cutting machine and still my best loved. I have a big kick and now, a vagabond. My bug still rules ;) (I was blessed by an angel and recently adopted another bug.) But, I remember that pop! It took my breath away. So, girl...I know how you feel. But, you have good things going for you. Sizzix IS the way to go. Forget about Tim for now. You need to go to Sizzix again.
You also have the advice of wonderful people here on SCS. I might advise you to learn the sandwiches. The best rule is to start off light with those shims and them build up to where it will go thru the machine. That's how my first cuttlebug broke. I had one too many shims. (There's that pop again..ugggh) Have you tried the manual machines at all? Experience with them helps with the electronic ones I think. Best of luck to you.
PS: If Sizzix fails you, then I would email Tim...after all, he put his name on it. And, he seems to take that seriously.

Last edited by Savagetwin; 02-01-2012 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: Add more information
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Dear Savagetwin, Thank you so much for that message.I can still feel and hear that 'pop' in my chest. Our internet service couldn't open hotmail yesterday nearly most of the day and about when everyone is fixing to go home it finally started working. The lady from Szizzix wrote me and asked me what kind of sandwich I used. I wrote her back and hopefully will hear back today.( and hopefully internet service won't let me down!)I'm still not believing that there is all that variation in the depth of the sandwiches need for each machine and like you if I ever get another will I try to start out with that ?!!# embossing folder that I wanted to make that heart I cut out earlier more pleasing and original?I thought with a vagabond I would have one machine that did it all- Would it be better for folks like me to have severel?I don't think but can't be as expensive!) one for embossing, one for nestis, something for szizzix dies...)Oh gee if this was easy I'd already have the answer. Thank you so for your kind words.After reading some of the cuttlebug threads above I now know to aim the ends away from family members and pets in case of explsions! We'll keep livin and learnin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Sizzix wrote me back this morning and said I could send it to the machine dept at Sizzix and they would take a look at it. She also said that the design of the case prohibits the motor from being able to be repaired. It kinda sounded like building a car without a hood to get to the engine, but I am so happy!Maybe there is still hope. It definitely wasn't doing anything sitting on my table.When my youngest daughter who lives at home and has Down's Syndrome starts moving about we will drive to town and get this vagabond to the post office.Please wish us luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Default Vagabond machine

I will keep my fingers crossed for you & the toes too! Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Default Sizzix

No worries. Sizzix will do right by you. I had 3 lemons before I got a good vagabond. You are correct Tim is interested. You can send him a message and he will respond. I was in tears when my last one made that cracking noise and sent him a message immediately. He helped me put it in perspective. It's a machine and sizzix will take care of replacing it. I am not financially able to purchase a new one. They sent a new one and return shipment instructions for old one. I was out nothing and feel great about Tim and Sizzix!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

Default my vagabond

quit working properly and I contacted Sizzix and they sent a pick up for my old machine and replaced it with a brand new one. Going to try it out today. My friends cuttlebug broke and provo craft wouldn't do anything about it so that tells me to buy sizzix from now on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Wow, this is interesting. I've been fortunate and have had my Vagabond for a year now with no problems. I only have used it with the solo platform and shim, the wafer thin adapter, and the regular cutting pads. I've never added extra cardstock for shims since it all is pretty snug and when it's tight, I get the cut marks from my cutting pads embedded in my cardstock :-)

It's good to know that Sizzix will replace it when there's a problem.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been dealing with a lady named Britney- I havent written Tim. Just keeping my fingers crossed but I am encouraged if someone else had to go through 3 of them to get one that was good. I'm with you that it isn't possible to replace these all the time. The post office said it would get there in a week or two so I will let everyone know what happens then.I am so hoping for a good outcome!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

I had my machine "pop" about two weeks ago so I know exactly how you feel! I had tears in my eyes as I was calling Sizzix customer service dept. The first rep I was working with had to forward my email on to another dept. and told me I would get an answer from there. Being the worry wart that I am, I called again the next day, directly to their warranty dept. and that rep was more familiar with my issue and sent me the FEDEX label right away for the RMA.

I sent it off thinking it would take a while since when working with computer parts I would have to wait like 6-12 weeks or more for the RMA to complete.

NOT SO! I received my new Vagabond THE NEXT DAY! All I can say is I will be a Sizzix customer for life! That is what I call customer service!

I just read this post Vagabond owners - check out this video by iamvics at Splitcoaststampers and it looks like they must have a lot of people with the same issue since they're going to release Gauge keys for the all new productions for Vagabond. Meaning if the sandwich doesn't fit into slots between the keys then don't put it into your machine! Ingenious!

Luckily they're not forgetting those of us who already own the Vagabond! Tim said in his video that Sizzix will be sending those keys out for FREE. We just have to wait for Sizzix to post it up on their blog/website once they're ready. I'm already camping to see when the message is up, I've been hearing that pop in my mind over and over and am still nervous when I put in a new sandwich. Once I have that tool I think I'll be die-cutting to a happy tune instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

That is wonderful! I mailed Vagabond number two last week so now I am waiting. Hopefully if they can fix it they will send a set of those keys with it. I can still feel that "pop" in my chest although I was sure I used the right sandwich,it was only the 3rd pass through the new machine.I have felt that I am really missing my best friend without it but I have started unmounting my wooden stamps so I'm still keeping busy-but it's not the same!I am so happy for you!I am so glad your story has a happy ending!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

That is wonderful! I mailed Vagabond number two last week so now I am waiting. Hopefully if they can fix it they will send a set of those keys with it. I can still feel that "pop" in my chest although I was sure I used the right sandwich,it was only the 3rd pass through the new machine.I have felt that I am really missing my best friend without it but I have started unmounting my wooden stamps so I'm still keeping busy-but it's not the same!I am so happy for you!I am so glad your story has a happy ending!
I hope everything turns out well for you too! Too bad I didn't get the new keys but I'm confident now that Sizzix will do their best for their customers.

I know what you mean that sound, that popping sound still haunts me. The thing was, I used a slightly different sandwich than I usually do BUT I had checked all the platforms, manuals, everything before I used it. There was nothing that said I couldn't do so. I'm just glad that Tim and Sizzix decided to solve the problem in such an easy way. A lot of companies might have just been stubborn about it. Everything worked out in the end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Chiming in with a sizzix positive...

I too managed to push a machine to its limits...the sizzix bigshot...I sheared the internal shaft....luckily the CS department at sizzix had a fix kit with instructions (only $5 as my machine was 3yrs old...).....It worked like a charm. I was so impressed with their CS and quality that I recently purchased the Big Boy...the Big Shot Pro.....They will make this right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Heart

In my mind Sizzix's customer service ROCKS!! I have never seen a company so easy to work with - they want satisfied customers! And they surely have one in me! They replaced my defective Big Shot Express with a Vagabond. Talk about a shocked, and very HAPPY customer. Brittany was the rep I spoke with. And then a month later when my friends Express died she also got great customer service. Sizzix is #1!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Cleone did anything come of your Vagabond? I've been wondering....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemarti314uView Post
I too managed to push a machine to its limits...the sizzix bigshot...I sheared the internal shaft....luckily the CS department at sizzix had a fix kit with instructions (only $5 as my machine was 3yrs old...).....It worked like a charm. I was so impressed with their CS and quality that I recently purchased the Big Boy...the Big Shot Pro.....They will make this right!
Another compliment for Sizzix. My machine has always worked. A couple of years ago, I was using a retired alphabet, and one of the letters "broke". The metal part came loose from the actual block and wouldn't work. I emailed, and they sent me a replacement letter (it was even retired!) Great customer service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Does anyone know when the 'Gauge Keys' will be available? I know TH mentioned that they would be free to present Vagabond owners if you send a picture of you and your 'V'. Checked the Sizzix website just now and a search for 'gauge keys' doesn't come up with the ones TH was using in the CHA video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Default Vagabond gauge keys

The gauge keys for the vagabond I believe will be out next month. You can email a pic. of you & your Vagabond to [email protected] and when they come in they will send the keys to you! ( I sent an email in regards to this and she replied back and told me to email the pic. to the above address)

From what I have been reading here, Sizzix seems like they have outstanding customer service. Definitely good to know because I love their products!

Hope this helps all of the Vagabond owners interested in the gauge keys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

The Gauge Keys are a great idea!

I {heart} Sizzix!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Well I haven't herard back from Brittney at Szizzix yet but I have felt so crippled without my Vagabond I ordered a Big Shot to tie me over.I am really enjoying it. To me it almost 'feels' easiier to judge the bulk of the sandwich ( if that makes any sense)I am not making up my own sandwiches, but having played with 3 of them now there sure is alot of variance in them.The USPO said it would take 1-2 weeks to go across the state of Arizona so Szizzix should be getting it any day now.Yesterday my husband's labrador retriever broke his pelvis and the pain medicine isn't doing all that I wish it would.My grandaughter is well enough to go to school today.DH went to Corona so it'll be just Ashley and me waiting, but we're going to have a birthday party here this weekend for the other grandaughter so I think we will start getting ready for that. Keeping our fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Connie-

Thanks for the info regarding the gauge keys. I also think they are a great idea.

After I got my 'V', I decided it needed a neater 'nest' so started to organize my crafting area. It is coming along so now you might be able to see my 'V' in the photo I send! Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

@ crafter 4 life! You are very welcome! Looking forward to receiving the gauge keys myself. So far so good though, I just make the sandwiches according to the directions on the shims/platforms.

Haven't done much lately as that "4 letter" word WORK as been keeping me busier then I would like!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

GREAT NEWS!!! I came in from taking my daughter to a birthday party and there was a new Vagabond sitting on my porch today! You are right. Sizzix ROCKS! I tried the SU butterflys, T. Holtz die and an EF and they all worked wonderfully. I can't believe the fear that grips me when I first intrduce anything into the machine. Maybe someday that will get better. Anyway I will sing from the rooftops that I believe they have me as a customer for life and will seek out their products for purchasing.Thank you all for encouaging me during this time as I felt very low.Again Sizzix is GREAT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

So happy everything worked out for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

more good news!! Britney from Sizzix said the gauge keys should start getting set out next week!( She said she had put me on the list!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

I'm so glad I found this thread tonight. My sweet DH got me a Vagabond for my birthday recently and I've heard the dreaded POP today. I hadn't even gotten it photographed for my gauge keys yet! I'm a bit heartsick that my new machine has POPPED and sits there with extended cutting plates part way through. I'm used to making sandwiches for all kinds of dies for my C-bug and was careful to follow directions for the V, etc. I had just today finally received in the mail the Solo Thin Die Adjuster for my wafer dies from top US companies. It cut beautifully for a couple times but 'popped' when I tried to emboss. Thanks for all the encouraging info here and for posting the Sizzix tel no. Guess we know who I'll be calling Monday! ;( Has anybody learned anythign new? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 AM   #39  
Inking Addict

Default I am on my second vagabond

this one had the dreaded pop. Now my question is what is the keys for and how do they work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

They are guides... if your sandwich doesn't fit in the key slots it is not recommended for the Vagabond.
Reply With Quote Likes