Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cricut Design Studio or Gypsy?

Hi
I just found a Design Studio at my local Walmart for $29 (in Canada), and I would like some advice please! Is it worth getting or is the Gypsy (cheapest I can now find this is about $100US + shipping) a better tool? I know that Cricut has the new Craft Room, and I have read through the Cricut FAQ thread, but I'm still not sure! What are the differences between the two? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

It's a slow night on the Forum cuz of the Super Bowl. Sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, and I don't own a cricut just wanted to explain why your question remains unanswered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I don't have gypsy but I do have design studio. I do like it but it will never be updated again. All efforts are going into CCR. With design studio you don't need the internet, you do need the internet with CCR. You use to be able to download a trial version of DS. Check and see if you can. That way you could play with it and see how you like it. You can also play with CCR on line and see if you like it. I never got the hang of CCR and use DS most of the time. I like DS it has a bit of a learning curve at first.

Hopefully others will answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

As dbrpuppets said Design Studio will no longer be updated. Font Cartridge packs will still be updated but I think that might stop soon since ProvoCraft is going for more digital content on Cricut Craft Room. I have abandoned my Design Studio with all the new updates. I did love it when I used it. Sure, there were a lot of bugs, glitches and annoyances. It was a simple program and did what it was supposed to do. My biggest complaint was the slow loading time.

Gypsy- It's one of those you can take it or leave it apps. Some love it. Some hate it. Some put up with it. I put up with mine. I do think the screen is too small. Can be hard to update and has many problems. The Cricut Message Board has really good threads on the problems that do have solutions. Even the top Gypsy experts will state that it's a problematic piece of equipment.

I got my Gypsy when it first came out. I honestly have not had the problems. I am pretty versed on the Gypsy so I knew what to avoid when I was updating. I think that is the biggest tip about the Gypsy you need to be versed on it.

Also, the Gypsy halfway works with the Cricut Imagine. Does not work on the Cricut Mini and some have reported it does not work on the new E2 especially the new batch of E2'sthat came out this month.

Cricut Craft Room is free. It also has glitches. I know this is just crazy? I think the same thing too. Some users have luck with it, some don't. Just don't even try the Imagine with the CCR. It's either or or not at all with that machine. It has reset the firmware on some of the original Expression and Create machines where the machines were unusable. You have to be online to use it. I do think CCR will be something if they can fix all the bugs and give their customers an offline version.

I know this was probably not the answers you needed. Hopefully with the restructuring of ProvoCraft going on all of this will be fixed in the couple of months. I am not on the Cricut Hater bandwagon. I actually do like my machine and cartridges. I have been using the Cricut since it first came out. I just wanted you to get some honest reviews. I know your in Canada and if something should go wrong with your machines I know how hard tech support and sending the machine back would be.

Right now I am using a combination of my Cricut Expression, Gypsy, Cartridges and Imagine. I only use Cricut Craft Room to look up a shape.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I really love my Gypsy! Mine works GREAT with my E2 but I have an E2 from the first batch. I have the 5th anniversary edition.

I think it really depends on what you want. Do you want to be able to take something with you to crops? If so, are you going to take your laptop with you to work with Design Studio? Do you mind if you work with multiple carts having to change them out? With the Gypsy all your carts are linked and ready to go. Also, with the Gypsy I like to just take it when we are going somewhere to just play around in the car while my husband is driving.

Cricut Craft Room (which is really taking the place of Design studio) you have to be online and right now if you carts are linked to the gypsy they can't be linked with CCR. They are working on it but have been saying that for some time now. So I guess like Design Studio you can just change them out when told to. I haven't done much with CCR but I do like some things about it. For one thing it is FREE!

They are still updating Design Studio when new cartridges are released but I don't see any program changes. I think it's been left behind! But still probably worth $29.

Also, do some more checking I have seen Gypsy's for as low as 65.00!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks everyone for your responses! I think I will keep my eye out for a good deal on the Gypsy, but may try the Design Studio for now, especially since it was a great price and I don't have to wait to get it. My laptop and my Expression can be close together, so that isn't really an issue either, but I do like the idea of not having to insert the cart when I am ready to cut. I am just getting into this (just got my Expression after Christmas) and so far it has been lots of fun!
Reply With Quote Likes