Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2012, 03:57 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glossy Accents Help, Please

Hi!
I'm pretty new to stamping, but I'm enjoying some simple projects. I'm learning so much now that I've discovered this forum. Thanks so much to everyone who helps and shares!

I just can't seem to get the hang of Glossy Accents. I would appreciate any hints. How thick do you put it on? Do you "flow" it on or "dab" it on? How do you get the finished piece to be even? How do you get rid of or minimize bubbles?

I love the dimensional look, but I'm not getting an even finished look.

Thanks,
Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glossy Accents definitely takes practice. My first attempt looked like crap! What I do is examine my image that I am wanting to put the GA on...hopefully it will be in sections (like a flower or a shoe). I then take a section...carefully outline my image with the GA squeezing gently. I then fill in the image...again gently squeezing for a bit of a flow and I use the nozzle as sort of a paint brush as I carefully fill in the image. It will self-level as it dries.

Glossy Accents shouldn't be put on too thick or it does become a mess. Once a layer is dry you can go back over to build up if you want it thicker....I never have though.

It will be milky at first but, it does dry clear. I take a very sharp needle and pop any air bubbles.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Hi there.

AS suggested, don't dab on. Just pour it and sort of color in the area with the nozzle.
Try to keep a steady flow. This prevents bubbles forming up as you apply. Also, don't shake the bottle. This causes lots of bubbles in the actual liquid inside the bottle. If you don't want to pop the bubbles, drag them with a pin. As in, stab them and then move towards the outside area of the treated part.

I love love love glossy accents. Really cute effect.
I suggest you stamp a very small image and practice with it. It's better to practice on a scrap than mess up a project!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I do the same thing as the others. Begin with an outline and slowly fill in the rest. If you get an air bubble after you are done take a pin or toothpick to the bubble and gently move the bubble toward the side edge to get rid of it. I'm not sure I am explaining this so it is clear. I don't know how else to describe it. This is what I learned at my LSS. As already mentioned, don't shake the bottle. I turn the bottle upside down for a little while before I am going to use it. All the liquid needs flow onto your image continuously or you will most likely get bubbles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I use the Glossy Accents and Matte Accents much more as an adhesive to attach rhinestones and pearls. I don't have much faith in the tape that comes with the rhinestones.

Another medium you might want to try for a raised effect is Mod Podge Dimensional Magic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Cathy, Thanks for answering. Using a pin to get rid of the bubbles is a great idea. I'll give it a try and keep trying.
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Dear pixxiewacorgi, Thanks for replying. I love the effect too, so I guess I have a lot of practice to do.
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 03:03 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi June, Thanks for the tip. Makes sense to put the bottle upside down for a while. I'll try it when I practice.
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 03:06 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Dear GypsyRoseStamper,
I've never tried the Mod Podge product. Is that easy to apply? Does it dry shiny? Thanks for your help.
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Before I use my Glossy Accents, I tamper it on my work surface first. This helps get most of the bubbles out before I put it on my project.

No matter how I tried to keep the tip clear, it would get clogged between uses so it got too loose to stay on so I now remove the cap and tip and just apply GA with a toothpick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I can never get the bottle opened - I don't want a big hole in the tip but I just can't get it small enough!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorism6220View Post
I can never get the bottle opened - I don't want a big hole in the tip but I just can't get it small enough!
I am not sure what brand you are currently using. The best one is Ranger Inkssentials Glossy Accents which comes with a small hole in the tip making it extremely easy to put glossy accents on the smallest image or even large images. I put the bottle upside down before I use it and then start squeezing a bit of it on to scratch paper before I begin. This product is so much better than the Stampin Up product that I first started out with years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier that my favorite is Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer. They have these bottle tops you can put on the tip of the bottle and the lacquer flows out slowly and you have control.

See: 3D Crystal Lacquer - Clear

They do sell the contraption separately. I don't know if they fit other brand bottles -- they might as many of the bottles look the same although not Glassy Accents. What I like best about the Sakura brand whether or not I use this contraption is that their bottle is much easier to squeeze because the plastic is softer. That makes 100% difference to me because I have arthritis in my hands. With the other brands because the plastic was sifter I could never get through without stopping a second or so and that created a bubble.

Disclaimer: I've had my bottle of Sakura for 2 to 3 years so I don't know if they have changed their plastic bottle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenda sView Post
I am not sure what brand you are currently using. The best one is Ranger Inkssentials Glossy Accents which comes with a small hole in the tip making it extremely easy to put glossy accents on the smallest image or even large images. I put the bottle upside down before I use it and then start squeezing a bit of it on to scratch paper before I begin. This product is so much better than the Stampin Up product that I first started out with years ago.
I totally agree! This is the stuff I use too. I love the fine tip nozzle, really easy to control. I had big problems with the nozzle clogging all the time, but somebody told me to start storing my Glossy Accents upside down. Well, miracle or miracles! I've not had one clog since I started doing that. Works like a charm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Wow! Thanks!

Hi!
Thanks so much to everyone who replied to my questions. I'm ready to try again. And practice! And store my Glossy Accents upside down!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I love the Stickle size botttles of Glossy Accents. More control. Give them a try. I use it for Bling...it works great.
Reply With Quote Likes