Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-11-2006, 05:28 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close to My Heart

Ok ladies, I've been out of the stamping loop for quite a while now. Back in October or so, I had to sell all my SU stuff and I really got back into scrapbooking instead. I've been having a ball with that. My mom had a CTMH workshop last night and this was the very first time using acrylic stamps. Just wondering how everyone else felt about them. I know most people on here are SU, but I do know some are CTMH and some people who have both. I have to say though, that I truly enjoyed working with the acrylics. I'm sure it might be a pain switching out the stamps from the blocks and all, but I was truly amazed by the storage. AMAZED I say. Even though I truly love SU, I think that if I were ever to get back into stamping, CTMH might be the route that I go. I do like most of the stamps but I do truly love the alphabet sets. But anyhow, I'm just wondering how other people felt about CTMH and acrylics. Your opinions please.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 05:41 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Love, love, love them! But, I am biased<G> Truly tho, when we made the switch from wood to the acrylics, I did reserve judgment until I had a chance to play with them. As for the switching back and forth on blocks, that doesn't bother me. And, if I'm doing something where I'm using the same stamps over and over, I use both sides of the block and keep them mounted until I finish. If I have a small stamp, I might even mount it on an end

Suz
CTMH Director
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 05:43 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Location: In Utah, in a daydream about what new stamps could be coming!

I've worked with both and prefer Stampin' Up!'s hands down. I've had several customers who have said they've lost the tiny images because of the "stick-on-pull-off" that comes with that system. Also, I don't like mounting my set every time I want to use it! With SU! you do it once, the way you like it and it's done, ready to use anytime. I pray SU will never go acrylic. I will say, that seeing through the block is an obvious advantage. Maybe if there was a way to have all clear blocks to mount on and be done - no switching. The cons far outweigh the pros for the storage to be a benefit. Plus - there's no better company than SU! and CTMH customers who also use SU have said the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 07:05 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Loading up all my B's and headed to the best gathering evah!

I buy both.... and there are great and not so great things about the acrylic stamps. I like that when I am 2 step stampin' I can see EXACTLY where I am putting my image down. It really BUGS me when things aren't lined up properly. Makes stamping look messy. So that is a MAJOR plus. They also store very well. I have 15 sets and all my acrylic blocks in one shoe box sized container. I could never do that with wood mount. There are also other companies that are doing acrylic. I have heard about, but not yet used the acrylic CUBES. Might be something to look into. I also like the prices. Alot more affordable.

I don't like switching out that much. So I bought some extra blocks in the sizes I use most. The acrylic are a little harder to clean. They keep a stain from reds and some darker pigments. They also pick up lint, so I have to be careful when using wetwipes to clean.

I do like wood mount for the convenience and ease of cleaning. I wish I didn't have to cut SU!'s stamps. I never get them on the wood straight enough. But, they are certainly affordable. So I will deal with it. Plus, how can I resist such CUTE designs???

<---------equal opportunity stamp customer (not a consultant)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I used CTMH at the beginning when it was DOTS but switched to SU many years ago. I just recently bought a set of the CTMH alphabets and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I love that I can personalize a saying/name, put it on the acrylic block and make an entire set of cards or project with them without having to stamp each letter. I have had 6 sets of SU alphabets and I am just too lazy to use them. I use the CTMH all the time. I also like that they are small and store well.

BUT...I only use the alphabets from CTMH and really love the ease of the block sets from SU. Much easier to clean, you don't have to "place it on the wood" each time and they are more durable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

BsmtScrapper,

LOL! I love the equal opportunity customer! Too funny!

A suggestion on cleaning...what I do is keep a wet paper towel sitting on a paper plate in my stamp area. I just stamp off the ink onto the wet towel when I finish using the stamp. Then, when finished with all the stamping, I take all of my stamps to the kitchen sink. I put a colander in the sink to catch them should they drop, and then just wash with dish liquid and lay to dry. This keeps any fuzzies from wetwipes off of the stamps.

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 07:50 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I buy from both companies as well. It is really hard to compare the two. The companies are so different. I love CTMHs scrapbooking papers! Great quality. CTMH's and SU's style is very different to me. Sometimes they sets that are identical almost, and I will buy CTMH because its always cheaper. However, I find that SU is very much on top of crafting trends. ie.- Big Letter stamps, modern ink colors, modern font types, tag punches, hardware etc. They seem to be really be good at coming out with these things when they are trendy. CTMH not to much. SU is also much more artsy to me. CTMH is more 'cutesy' or maybe 'country'? I don't buy both companies ink pads just because they are so expensive to have all of them. I just buy SU ink. I have compared the companies prices on accesories though, and they are usually exactly the same. For example- both of thier stamp scrubber are $14.95.

I don't mind switching out on acrylic blocks either. For the cheaper price I am willing to do that. SUs are expensive and you still have to mount them. But I love SUs designs.

I hope that this helps you out. Happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 07:51 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Clean Stamps!

Great idea. Never thought about a collander. Hmmmm....for those "hot and heavy" stampin' days. I will try the dish soap next time. TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my CTMH stamps! Especially my alphabet stamps. I have SU! stamps that I really like and will never sell. And I have SU! alphabet stamp sets that I can't give away because they are such a pain in the behind to use and get something that looks decent when you're finished.

Anyway. CTMH has lots of great products, but if you want to see me get really excited, ask me about CTMH alphabet sets.

Life is Better in the Village!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 08:26 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Word of CAUTION

When rinsing your acylic stamps with soap and water...do NOT use soap with lotion (or similar) in it. I know someone who did and it ruined the set. Wouldn't ever stick again. Just use a basic dish detergent with no additives and it should be fine. I do like the collander idea.

I have both (as well as TAC) and I like them all for different reasons. I think it's really hard to compare because they are apples and oranges so to say. As a customer I just buy what I like designwise...sometimes that's a CTMH set and sometimes it's a SU set (or other company).

I do think CTMH is more up to date (and focuses more) on scrapbooking. I love their kits. I also love their color palatte (and since I used to be a consultant I had most of their inks). I also love their cardstock with the white core. It's great for distressing.

Basically, I guess I'm saying there is definately room for both companies...you can get the best of both worlds by picking and choosing.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I am biased too - I love My Acrylix! I have a hard time using wood mounted stamps now. I love the way they are stored and also the fact that you can go back and restamp an image if you missed a spot of want the image darker.

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't used very many CTMH stamps...but I wasn't that impressed. I was working with some VERY accomplished stampers and they had the same feeling. We had a hard time getting a consistent impression and found the lines of the images were too thick for out tastes. I sell nothing and buy freely from many sources, but based on my albeit limited exposure I prefer SU, Penny Black, etc... I may need to look at their alphabets based on this thread, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

I really like their scrapbooking paper and some of their accessories, but I am not a huge fan of the My Acrylix stuff. I think it would be nice to make a title with an alphabet set and stamp it, but other than that, I don't want to have to constantly peel and mount, etc.
I had a small set that I won as a doorprize. One of the smaller images fell of the sheet, and I couldn't find it. I was so worried that my one year old would find it and choke on it. That is one thing I don't have to worry about with SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

The CTMH alphabets are great. It is so nice to line up the letters all at once and stamp. Now is a great time to check out those alphabet stamps!

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by roo613
I think it would be nice to make a title with an alphabet set and stamp it, but other than that, I don't want to have to constantly peel and mount, etc.
That's on of the reasons I really like the My Acrylix stamps. The stamp sets take up so little space, I can store all of my stamps right next to me and not have to go looking for the right stamp mounted on wooden blocks and stored in a cabinet in another room. Even with the peeling and remounting, I save time and can the images just where I want them the first time. I don't have to restamp the image near as often as I do with the wood-mounted stamps. Anyway. Not trying to convince anyone, just letting you see my perspective.

Life is Better in the Village!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

Default What about resale value?

Nobody talks about that..... One of my friends is about to
switch all her Stampin' Up stamps sets (100 sets) to use
with the acrylic blocks, but one thing I told her though
was that the resale value would be a lot less once the
stamps are off the woods.

I'm sure for many of you, your stamps are a keeper and
probably never think of selling them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I joined CTMH when we had the wood stamps and now that I have the acrylix I'll never go back to wood. Nothing like being able to know that you are doing your 2 step stamping correctly every time because you can actually see through the block for perfect placement and also knowing that your stamped is evenly inked before you press down. I also love how the alphabets are lined up on the block PERFECTLY straight, no more "OOPS, I wasn't going for that off center look but I guess I'll deal with it now". I also have many customers who love the SU designs but wish they were acrylic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

After cutting and mounting 2 1/2 sets of alphas for my DD's kindergarten teacher, I refuse to do that again. It about killed my hand and I took 2 days to do it. I had to handle each one 3x. Once to cut and trim the labels to fit, then cut the rubber, then mount it. --I had to give one unfinished alpha set and loan scissors to the teacher and told her I was sorry, but I just could not finish doing them all.

I just got my 1st set of CTMH alphas and was so thrilled to just open the slim package and start stamping right away! As much as I love SU! I will not invest in the alphas, not after my experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by InknLink
Nobody talks about that..... One of my friends is about to

I'm sure for many of you, your stamps are a keeper and
probably never think of selling them.
Funny you should say that -- Even though I have drawers of SU stamp sets and now am a CTMH consultant I balk at the mere thought of selling off my SU stamps or any other nonCTMH stamps -- so I guess for each person it is different -- there are a lot of SU demos that would use sets for a while and then sell them off but I can't remember maybe one set that I got rid of, the brushstroke alpha that I never used -- other than that I never buy for resale value!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrslevite
That's on of the reasons I really like the My Acrylix stamps. The stamp sets take up so little space, I can store all of my stamps right next to me and not have to go looking for the right stamp mounted on wooden blocks and stored in a cabinet in another room. Even with the peeling and remounting, I save time and can the images just where I want them the first time. I don't have to restamp the image near as often as I do with the wood-mounted stamps. Anyway. Not trying to convince anyone, just letting you see my perspective.
Also, not to jump in here and agree (LOL) but I just got through doing thank you notes for my niece and used the CTMH Elegant Script alpha -- and because they were the My Acrylix I was able to set up "Thank You" on the block and stamp it repeatedly for 25 cards. --plus set up things like their names and other things for her wedding album -- Can't say I could have done the same with any of the rubber mounted alphas -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigfingers
Funny you should say that -- Even though I have drawers of SU stamp sets and now am a CTMH consultant I balk at the mere thought of selling off my SU stamps or any other nonCTMH stamps -- so I guess for each person it is different -- there are a lot of SU demos that would use sets for a while and then sell them off but I can't remember maybe one set that I got rid of, the brushstroke alpha that I never used -- other than that I never buy for resale value!
I too still use some SU stamps - they have some great designs - but, after using acrylix for two years now I feel nervous when I stamp with wood mounted stamps (as funny as that is)

I do like to trade for stamp sets - as sometimes you look at something and its "a great idea at the time" but, in looking back its not.

At least on SCS you can trade your once loved for someone else's once loved

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I too love SU however, storage of all of my sets had become a problem. I had a choice to make, convert to unmounted or never buy another stamp set again. Well, not buying another stamp set was NOT an option for me, so I went unmounted. I love, love, love it. When I receive my new SU sets I mount them on static cling. I store them in CD cases and now I no longer have a space issue. Using the acrylic blocks are great because I can see where I am placing my stamp. So, I can continue to buy SU which is my favorite stamp company. I also prefer using rubber as opposed to acrylic as I feel the stamped image is much crisper. I would never go back to mounting on wood. As for resale, I would never part with any of my stamps but I did see an unmounted SU set for sale on the e store and it sold at a very good price.

Just MHO.

http://mysweetcards.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2006, 02:33 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Something to remember with the acrylic stamps...I keep seeing people say the images aren't crisp...one does not need to push down as hard with the acrylics as you do with the rubber. By pushing down as hard as rubber, you are actually squishing the acrylic stamp and that's why your image is not as crisp and clean.

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2006, 03:06 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I tried the my acrylix stamps and am not too crazy about them. I do however love love love all the close to my heart scrapbooking stuff. Almost all my albums are close to my heart and I have several of there kits which I can say enough about. Love them! As far as my stamps go I have to say I like the wood mounted ones much better.
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2006, 03:11 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

This is just me thoughts:
Since I scrapbook more than I stamp I usually only do my stamping at my SU demo's workshops. I enjoy stamping however, I never felt real confident in how the image would turn out until of coarse I would lift the stamp off the paper.
When CTMH introduced the My Acrylics Stamps I purchased the starter kit with some basic designs and blocks. I was amazed at how I could see what I was doing and love how the images look. The removing of images does not bother me at all, in fact I like that aspect.
The issue of not very clear images, one thing to remember is to use the foam pad that comes with the stamps that makes a huge difference.
I would have to say I prefer My Acrylics over SU, however I have not been stamping as long as many of you have here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2006, 03:16 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I like the acrylics and love the fact that you can store 3 times as many in area than su's although I have had 2 ctmh demo's back out on me when I wanted to have a party.not sure what's up with that I know one of them was an hour away.but demos shouldn't tell people they will do parties for you then not do it.So needless to say as much as I love the thier stamps and the acrylics I will be sticking to su.I am also into Heros stamps they have some awesome stamps.Outlines is another company that has some very unusal stamps for a 3 d effect on cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Wow - I am sorry that you all have had trouble with CTMH consultants - I assure you we are not all like that - I wish I lived in your areas - I love doing workshops and gatherings!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I love both types of stamps. CTMH and SU. I buy both of them. I do like the acyrlic stamps but it seems that SU has more of a stamp selection, I would love for them to go acyrlic !!!

Kristie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

I've recently (just last week) been pondering about switching to an unmounted method of storage because of the space issue. I'm going to do a trial run of an unmounted system with SU stamps (cushion attached) with Tackitoverand over glue on an acrylic block. I dont own any CTMH sets, but wanted the storage for the SU sets that I already own. I'm making an index, so figured I'd find out in a hurry if placing them on the acrylic, cleaning, etc. is too much of a pain to justify the storage issue. Send me a pm and I'll reply to you in a week or so after I try it out a bit.
Here's the thread where I was asking some questions about the different UM methods:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Here's another great thread to learn about UM methods:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatty
This is just me thoughts:
Since I scrapbook more than I stamp I usually only do my stamping at my SU demo's workshops. I enjoy stamping however, I never felt real confident in how the image would turn out until of coarse I would lift the stamp off the paper.
When CTMH introduced the My Acrylics Stamps I purchased the starter kit with some basic designs and blocks. I was amazed at how I could see what I was doing and love how the images look. The removing of images does not bother me at all, in fact I like that aspect.
The issue of not very clear images, one thing to remember is to use the foam pad that comes with the stamps that makes a huge difference.
I would have to say I prefer My Acrylics over SU, however I have not been stamping as long as many of you have here.
You would be a great CTMH demo! -

And what Scatty says about the foam pad is true it really does help!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Question HUH? Confused

Quote:

Originally Posted by InknLink
One of my friends is about to
What would be the advantage of switching SU! stamps onto acrylic blocks? You wouldn't be able to see through the rubber...and wouldn't they also be permanantly adhered to the acrylic? Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2006, 06:52 PM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUVAD111
I pray SU will never go acrylic.

think how much our wood mounted sets would be worth on ebay if they did!

I use both - Nothing is better than CTMH alphabet stamps - I wouldn't use anything else and I love their kits as well.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2006, 03:46 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Tracy,
The reason many are unmounting their SU stamps is mainly a storage space issue. You are correct, they still wouldn't be able to see through the rubber, although they would be able to see the edges of the rubber for better placement. But, by unmounting them and then using the acrylic block, they will take up less room. They aren't permanently mounted to the acrylic. There are a number of ways to temporarily mount them...using EZ Mount system, double sided tape, Aileen's Tack it Over.

Suz
CTMH Director
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2006, 05:37 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink I get it now

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzastampin
Tracy,
The reason many are unmounting their SU stamps is mainly a storage space issue. You are correct, they still wouldn't be able to see through the rubber, although they would be able to see the edges of the rubber for better placement. But, by unmounting them and then using the acrylic block, they will take up less room. They aren't permanently mounted to the acrylic. There are a number of ways to temporarily mount them...using EZ Mount system, double sided tape, Aileen's Tack it Over.

Suz
CTMH Director
OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ok. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2006, 06:56 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Acrylic vs rubber

LOVE my CTMH and other see-through stamps. Really get frustrated when I use my older rubber stamps and can't see where they're getting placed.

I don't need to use as much pressure with my acrylics to get an impression; plus you can almost tell if the impression is good or not looking through the acrylic. Then if it's not dark enough, you can simply reink and restamp in the same spot without it looking like a 2nd stamp.

I wish SU would switch, but they say "never." And the storage space - another big seller for me. I can actually take lots with me someplace to crop or stamp vs deciding beforehand on my SU stamps due to the size and space limitations.
Reply With Quote Likes