Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Pinterest

I have been using Pinterest for a few months now for my own personal use. It's much easier to manage Pinterest boards rather than long lists of bookmarked URLs.

Recently I received a nasty message from a very well-known card designer telling me to stop 'stealing' from her blog.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Is pinning on Pinterest "stealing"?

I have been using Pinterest for a while now for my own personal use. It's much easier to use Pinterest boards than to try to find something in a long list of bookmarked URLs.

Recently I received a nasty message from a very well-known card designer telling me to stop 'stealing' from her blog.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. I thought the idea of putting stuff on Pinterest was so that others would pin the stuff you upload.

Did you tell the designer that you weren't stealing, but pinning her items so that others can see her beautiful work?

I haven't figured out how to use Pinterest. For instance, I see a food item that I'd love to make, but it's been pinned so many times that I can't find the original source with the recipe.

I've not spent much time with my Pinterest account. Is there a "how to" section?

added ...
Oh wait ... I bet the designer is upset that you took photos from her blog and put them on Pinterest. Hmmm... I can see where she should be thrilled but can also understand why she might not. She may think that your pinning is passing on her item, but not redirecting back to her blog and giving her credit.

Last edited by melissa59; 01-27-2012 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: added something after the fact
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Repinning stinks because you have to go back pretty far to find teh original source. When it comes to artwork, you may want to pin directly from the original source, just to keep the flow of traffic back to the artist's blog.
I am sure that was a big part of where she was coming from...if people can just scan through pictures of her work elsewhere, they won't come through her blog.
That may be a big issue for many people who are on DTs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi!

People pin pictures to their own Pinterest 'boards'. The boards are used to keep track of your own 'pins'. But 'pins' and 'boards' are also accessible to anyone using Pinterst to 'like' or 're-pin' onto their own 'boards' and so on and son. ;-)

The source of the 'pinned' picture is always provided/available in the pin. Everyone always knows where the 'pin' originated.

When you click on a 'pinned' picture on Pinterest, the 'pinned' picture entry displays on your screen. Just click on the picture itself and you will be taken to the original blog post.

Pinterest also provides help for new users. Hope this helps. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

That's sad that this person is accusing you of stealing. I'm guessing she doesn't understand the point of Pinterest (no pun intended).
Pinterest is a bulletin board- a place that we "pin" pages that we like and want to share with other people. I liken it to tearing out the pages of magazines and putting them in a folder so that I can refer to them later.

I would just message her back and let her know that if that's the way she feels then you from now on refrain from sharing links to her blog via Pinterest or any other social media outlet.

Melissa- I've come across the issue of not being able to find a specific recipe because the person that pinned it didn't post the direct link to the recipe but the general blog link instead. If it's a recipe I REALLY, REALLY want then I'll go on a treasure hunt to find it. Some blogs though will have a search function for the blog and if it does you can attempt to search that way.
If you come across a recipe or any other item for that matter that you would like to share then just remember to link to the specific post :-) before you Pin it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

To get to the original post for a 'pin', just click on the pin you want in order to go to the record for that original 'pin' and then click on the picture itself.

This will take you directly to the original blog post - assuming that the original pinner pinned from a specific blog post.

If the pinner was looking at a blog (and not a specific post) and pinned from a picture while scrolling through the blog, then clicking on the picture in the 'pin' record will just take you to the blog itself and not to the blog post with that picture.

I'm not a techie, so I hope this makes sense. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated!

I was quite upset at her accusation at first. But the source of a pin is always acknowledged on Pinterest!. And I always pin from the specific blog post - rather than from a blog itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #9  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmts1View Post
I have been using Pinterest for a while now for my own personal use. It's much easier to use Pinterest boards than to try to find something in a long list of bookmarked URLs.

I'm not on pinterest yet but I wonder if it has to do with how the link is made back to the picture? I remember seeing a thread a while ago about how, depending on how a link was made, it was 'stealing' the owners bandwidth (not stealing the picture).

ETA: I was thinking about hotlinking.

You would think that if hotlinking was an issue it would be an issue for everything on pinterest.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery

Last edited by purpleflowers; 01-27-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Wow, Pinterest isn't stealing, it is not copyright infringement or anything - THAT IS THE ENTIRE POINT OF IT. You have somewhere to "keep" pics you find on the 'net, you have a direct link to the website it came from, so that it can be properly acknowledged - this person does not know how it works, properly and is just trying to throw her weight around.
She is just "full of it"...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Pinning on Pinterest isn't stealing. The picture you pin is ALWAYS linked back to the original owner. I am guessing the woman just didn't understand the concept of Pinterest. There are no copywrite infringements on it. You are just linking to it for others to see. So sorry you got a nasty e-mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? LOL. All this is like Greek to me. I am so lost. I'm just now getting some of the different aspects of SCS down pat. I have yet to figure out Challenges and how they function, let alone trying to attempt something like Pinterest. My DD showed it to me last week and it just overwhelmed me. I did like one of the comments above that it was like tearing pages out of magazines and putting them into a folder. I think we all must have done this at one time or another. Still, it overwhelms me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Totally agree that "pinning isn't stealing". If anything its hard to forget where the original post was because Pinterest keeps track of it for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenwhiteView Post
Wow, Pinterest isn't stealing, it is not copyright infringement or anything - THAT IS THE ENTIRE POINT OF IT. You have somewhere to "keep" pics you find on the 'net, you have a direct link to the website it came from, so that it can be properly acknowledged - this person does not know how it works, properly and is just trying to throw her weight around.
She is just "full of it"...
Karen, you always make me laugh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Hmmm, I always think it's a high compliment when someone pins my cards to Pinterest. Can't imagine getting peeved about it at all. I agree that the complainer just doesn't get the point of pinning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Karen, you always make me laugh!
You are sweet...:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Hmmm, I always think it's a high compliment when someone pins my cards to Pinterest. Can't imagine getting peeved about it at all. I agree that the complainer just doesn't get the point of pinning.
100% absolutely agree... its like wow being picked as featured stamper or something when someone you dont even know is pinning your projects...

perhaps you should send the gal a link to this thread so it will help her understand where other people are coming from... and or an invite so she can start her own memory board...

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have come across pins that are not linked to the original blog but to a blog that one of those collection of stuff blogs (not sure that makes sense) Some bloggers just put pictures and links to other blogs and then the pinner pins that picture instead of taking the time to go to original blog to pic. I also have seen cards from flickr and google instead of the original blog. When I see these and want to repin (I always check the source if possible) I find the original blog post; repin and then edit the pin to put correct information. Also if I am pinning I will (not always cause I forget) add it is from so and so 's blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

@dmts1 - maybe you should send an invite to Pinterest to the blogger hopefully she will join and when she sees how many likes and repins images from her blog have got, she won't think of it as stealing anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Another thing, is that it will bring her work to a wider audience, and also an audience that is not necessarily a card making audience, but more than likely a BUYING audience.... $$$
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Wow! My mouth dropped open. Does this woman not know the concept of Pinterest? She must because she cussed you out about it. Pinterest is an online favorite's folder. Instead of URL's we can have pics.

I do understand if you just started copying all the pictures off your hard drive and added them to folders giving no credit. For gosh sakes your directing people to her web site. Who can get insulted over Pinterest?

I pinned something the other day. Then I wrote something quite clever about it. This other woman saw my pin and repinned. She took all my wording like it was hers. I was so PO'd. I almost gave her a cussing out. Then I thought I would be the stupid one. Maybe she's not clever in real life and she needed help, ROFL! I know we all have done it but not to that scale. I have been tired and repinned something with the original wording but it's usually a title or a quote.

My point to all my blabbering, lol, is that Pinterest is still so new it's still in the phases of what is considered good etiquette and you need to be slapped etiquette. To accuse somebody of stealing is just outright crazy Your leading people to her blog! Well, maybe she is just having a bad day and her brains went out the window or something. You know how us women get. I am having a month like that, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
...I pinned something the other day. Then I wrote something quite clever about it. This other woman saw my pin and repinned. She took all my wording like it was hers. I was so PO'd. I almost gave her a cussing out. Then I thought I would be the stupid one. Maybe she's not clever in real life and she needed help, ROFL! I know we all have done it but not to that scale. I have been tired and repinned something with the original wording but it's usually a title or a quote.....
Okay, I'm a cyber-idiot and it took me forever to realize I even COULD type my own caption onto things I repinned. I was literally just using it as a pin board without personalizing anything at all. Now, I'm in the habit and often forget...pinning is just so quick!

I also had no idea what following and all that meant...just blythely pinned whatever appealed to me without even looking at people's names. I'm still a bit bewildered by it all.

Point being, your clever thief could have been me or someone equally ignorant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

I have looked briefly at Pinterest, and I just don't get it. I saw something that looked interesting in my first visit and I tried clicking on it to see the recipe, but no luck.

What do you go there for, what do you put on their yourself mostly. Love to hear what you get out of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

If it was stealing they would call it "stealtrest". Blogger needs to get a grip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Okay, I'm a cyber-idiot and it took me forever to realize I even COULD type my own caption onto things I repinned. I was literally just using it as a pin board without personalizing anything at all. Now, I'm in the habit and often forget...pinning is just so quick!

I also had no idea what following and all that meant...just blythely pinned whatever appealed to me without even looking at people's names. I'm still a bit bewildered by it all.

Point being, your clever thief could have been me or someone equally ignorant.
Susan this just made me laugh! I just recently got on Pinterest and also had no idea you could type your own caption Like you, I was just blythely pinning away......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

These are the threads are the reason I stopped participating here on SCS.

Not because of the Original Poster, in fact I am feeling kinda upset for her there is no reason for that blogger to send her such an nasty email.

If you don't want your stuff copied or used then don't post them, quit blogging and putting your stuff out on the internet or trade magazines. I never understood that if you share on the internet IT IS PUBLIC, it is no different than putting it out there on the jumbo-tron in Times Square why get upset you were the one that let a piece of your self go. For the most part people really don't care or pay attention. If you put it out there there are no grounds for whining that someone used your thoughts or ideas get over yourself.

I am very tempted to ask the OP her Pinterest name and follow her and repin the upset bloggers cards just because....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

I think we need a stamp that says "Get over your bad self!" ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

And to all of you little people,"Stop stealing from my blog!"

(There, I just wanted to know what it felt like to be a paper crafting diva. It feels pretty idiotic, to tell you the truth!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

I am also another newbie on Pinterst. While it is great and addicting, there seem to be limited instructions on how to use it. I often just repin things, didn't realize I should be adding my own comments. The fact I repinned something means I like it, do I really need to comment more than that?
And to the OP, it is not stealing and the person needs to get over herself. Sorry that someone would be so rude to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

PLEASE steal from my blog. ;) And StampTV. And my facebook page. And my gallery here at Splitcoast...

Pinterest directs people to her blog. I'm wondering why she wouldn't want people to see her beautiful work and read her blog... Hmmm. Oh well. Pin away and have fun.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
And to all of you little people,"Stop stealing from my blog!"

(There, I just wanted to know what it felt like to be a paper crafting diva. It feels pretty idiotic, to tell you the truth!)

maryrose, did you stamp your feet [no pun intended] and have a pout on your face while you were saying this? LOL. I'm pretty sure that would add to the whole experience!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
PLEASE steal from my blog. ;) And StampTV. And my facebook page. And my gallery here at Splitcoast...

Pinterest directs people to her blog. I'm wondering why she wouldn't want people to see her beautiful work and read her blog... Hmmm. Oh well. Pin away and have fun.

Oh, thank you, Gina. So wonderful that you don't mind since we've all probably been doing it right along anyway. You are one amazing gal. Stamp on...kinda like "Rock On!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStampView Post
I am also another newbie on Pinterst. While it is great and addicting, there seem to be limited instructions on how to use it. I often just repin things, didn't realize I should be adding my own comments. The fact I repinned something means I like it, do I really need to comment more than that?
And to the OP, it is not stealing and the person needs to get over herself. Sorry that someone would be so rude to you.

I never erase/add my own comments when I repin. Maybe I should so people don't think I'm "stealing" their comments as my own. But it gets very redundant to add comments to all the things I repin.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use Pinterest a lot. It's a real addiction! I usually do change the description slightly - I don't like the gushy comments that some pinners make and I don't like them attributed to me 'cause I'm not gushy.

You don't have to specify people to follow - if you click on the Pinterest red logo you can look at the entire feed of Home Decor, or Crafts and DIY.

I don't think the big-time designer understand Pinterest. It's not like a gallery of your own work, it's by nature other's work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Glad to see there are so many sound minds responding to this question! Love all of the "doesn't get the point" (nudge, nudge; groan, groan!) puns!!! And Mary Rose, you crack-a me up .

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE when others repin my stuff!! Yowza -- how cool is that?!?!

And there is a "Help" button ... with Pinterest Etiquette and guidelines there.

I usually change the description - unless it's exactly what I would say!

And I have always seen a link to the upper right of the photo with the place the item comes from. Or just click on the photo.

Pinterest is OH SO COOL . . . it's a shame someone is trying to suck the fun out of it! I love the visual bookmarking and the sharing! It's brilliant, I tell you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Quote:

Done :mrgreen:

I ah... even have a GKD stamps I own board... ( helps when there is shopping frenzy of a release going on and I need one more set to bump it to a gift or something to see all mine at a glance kwim?)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Thanks, Gina & everyone, for taking the time to share your thoughts here!

I have to admit to being somewhat concerned at first. This designer [ETA: who sent me the nasty message] refers to herself as a 'tech geek' and I am definitely not one, so I thought I was mis-understanding something about pinning and Pinterest. I hope I don't get blackballed because of her ignorance about Pinterest. ;-(

I have to say that overall since I started following papercrafting blogs, I've 'met' many wonderful creative people and luckily only a few who weren't. ;-)

Last edited by dmts1; 01-28-2012 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethvbView Post
If it was stealing they would call it "stealtrest". Blogger needs to get a grip.
This. She's being ridiculous. Ignore her.

ETA: I will say I do try very hard to put the designer's name in the comments if it is a card I'm pinning (I don't bother with sketches - I figure the link back to the blog is enough)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, oh! I repin all the time without adding or deleting comments so I've probably upset some people without intending to. I thought the whole point of Pinterest was to share??
I am new to the site and I do think it's a little hard to understand the etiquette even once you have read the FAQ's - but I also think it's totally ridiculous to get upset about someone caring enough about what you have created to share it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

If you don't want your stuff copied or used then don't post them, quit blogging and putting your stuff out on the internet. . .
I agree, don't put it there in the first place! It's there for the whole world once it hits cyberspace.
Reply With Quote Likes