Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Success with SU

I am considering rejoining SU and would like to know how you maintain success. I was my only customer. Finding a customer base is hard.

Thanks,
Rhonda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I am very interest in this thread and I understand your concern as I am an SU consultant too and pretty mucb my own customer. I had a few customers and they moved onto other crafts such as quilting. Anyway I would like to hear especially if you have a full time job aditionally. I cant find folks interested in stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

my only advice is to sign up under a local demonstrator who is very successful as she will be able to walk you through steps to take to build a customer base. Be sure to let her know you are interested in making this a BUSINESS that at least pays for itself if not profiting much. Do not sign under someone who is just in it for the personal discount and doesn't need customers but can afford to buy enough to meet her minimums each quarter.

I was a demo when I lived in Ohio and signed under a demo who made a profit, had a team of demos under her etc. I took it seriously, she took me seriously and she was very helpful. Can't say I ever made a huge success of it though. Sometimes it's just the area you live in; and now, the economy could be keeping people from having much "fun money" to spend on a hobby. When we moved to another state I dropped as a demo because I just couldn't continue to be my own best customer. Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I was a demo for a few years and loved the stamping budget it gave me! I wasn't a higher seller that broke records or anything but I was just happy to pay for my own hobby! I do miss the large budget it gave me, if I were to spend that amount out of our household account my DH would keel over, lol!

The first thing you need to have is some serious drive! Join any demo forums you can like the one here or SU's Stampin' Connection. I moved to an area where I knew no one, so I set up tables at craft shows, flea markets and I even had a table set up at my garage sale which resulted in a few workshops and a recruit! At these shows I had class sign up sheets and from there it just continued to flourish.

One thing that brought me customers was that I didn't do the super simple that a lot of SU demos are known for. I often heard my customers say that they liked coming to my classes because I wasn't afraid to go all out. I made some great friends that I miss dearly and I miss the fun we had at club nights or class nights! (we moved away)

Don't under sell youself! I see it all the time where demos have classes for $5 with a million cards to make (slight over estimate, lol). Factor in all your time including prep time, your time at the class and any other small costs.

Don't be afraid to think outside the box! I was at an art show one time and a woman approached me about teaching a class in Winnipeg on just making paper flowers and then incorperate them onto a simple card. She loved the look of handmade flowers and was sure her friends would love them too. It was going to be a class of about 15-30 people and they were willing to pay more than I would ever be able to charge at a SU! class. Unfortunately it just didn't work out with us packing and moving. That class would have earned me as much as a month of SU classes and club!

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm the flip side of your coin! I've been a demo for over 4 years. I really, really tried to make it a business, but for me, it didn't happen. I had some stamp camps at various places, got only one person to sign up to host, and at that party, there were few orders. Even the hostess did not order! I tried to find new customers, but they didn't materialize. Little by little, the few people who came to stamp camps in my home lost interest, and I now find myself my only customer. I am now in pending, and I plan to let my demo-ship go at the end of this month.

I honestly think it will be a good thing for me. First of all, I'll probably spend less total on my "habit" since I won't need to hit a certain quarterly minimum ($300). Second, I'm finding I really love products from other companies--Copic markers, Nestabilities, etc., and I will feel freer about buying them and using them on my cards that I send to friends and post on my blog.

I still love SU's products--their cardstock can't be beat--and will continue to use them, but all in all, I think I'll be happier NOT a demo.

If you do decide to rejoin, you should have a definite plan for your business--how you will find customers, where and when you will have workshops and stamp camps, whether you want to invest $$$ each month on a DBWS (it never helped me the few months I had it), etc. I do agree with the recommendation that you should sign up under a local demo who has a good-sized downline and actively supports her downline. In my case, I signed up under the gal who had been my demo when I was "just" a customer. She had been wonderful to me when I was a customer and she encouraged me to sign up. As soon as I did, she dropped me like a hot potato. No support, no contact, nothing. I know some demos can be very successful on their own, but when I think about her, I get really resentful about the way she treated me.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck. It's hard work to become a successful demo, but it can also be a lot of fun!
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to say this but I think it is rather telling that there have been over 300 "looks" on a seemingly very busy chat site and very few responses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, a lot of the "bigger" demos are on their way to the Leadership convention, so not necessarily available to be cruising forums...

I think if you want to sign up again, you should go for it. It might help if you actually interviewed some local demos to find out where they stand on business building. Check their websites to see if they have much activity, find out if they have a sizable downline or a structured support system for training.

I just think it helps if you have an environment to become involved in that will help you be accountable to setting and meeting goals, kwim? People who will be both cheering section and a bit of competition, too, to give you a kick in the pants to push yourself.

I'll be right up front and say that I am NOT a business building demo. I don't really have the physical stamina to put a lot of energy into it, unfortunately. I do have a handful of customers, though, enough to keep me afloat and have some fun with.

If you're serious about it, wait another week or so and join during Saleabration. BIG savings on the kit! Just make sure and look for a solid, supportive demo to sign up with.

I wish you luck with your decision, and with your career if that's what you decide! As long as you're having fun, what could go wrong, anyway?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
I hate to say this but I think it is rather telling that there have been over 300 "looks" on a seemingly very busy chat site and very few responses.
Telling of what? I read this post-- the subject is a little vague so I didn't know that it was asking a question of demos before I read it-- but I'm not a demo, so I can't actually help the OP. I'm guessing most of the 300 people who've read the thread aren't demos, either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Telling of what? .
Meaning it looks like there are a lot of people who are curious as well but not many are sharing. I know I am curious...that is why I read the post. Maybe demos will return from their convention with some helpful hints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Default becoming a demo

I was a demo for 4 years. Got injured at work so can't really do outside workshops so I do them in my home now. I started really small. I got a stamp from vista print with my info on it and stamped it on everything, you never know who could call from that. I dont do just stampin up stuff- there are so many great things out there and my customers appreciate that. I would do some craft fairs in your area- that is where I have met some of my best customers/friends. Some shows were super slow but thats when I could chat with customers, fellow crafters etc. and spread the word. I do card nights now 4 per month fri night sat am sat pm and fri night as I can only fit 5 people in my room at a time. It has grown from year to year as they bring friends etc. I have my own business name so I have cards printed and hand them out all the time too. I didnt have any luck doing vendor fairs as a demo so I dont do that anymore- just sell my items and that gets people interested in what you do. Give lots of cards to teachers, clergy, friends, etc anyone you can think of with your info on the back. I made little treats every holiday for my ciropractors office - they all loved the stuff (didnt get customers out of it) but you never know.
I hope this helps a little. I was never one for a busy upline- I like to be alone and can find all I need here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Just an FYI, the top earners of SU rarely visit these forums. They are way too busy to browse. And trust me, they probably put in more hours to get where they are than your standard 9-5 jobs. Contacting downlines, making newsletters, setting up classes, collecting class fees, cutting for projects, working trade shows and hauling stuff all around town. Lots of paperwork, and lots of busy work, and some of it may prove fruitful and some of it may not.

You may find a local demo with a downline, but that does not mean she is successful. If I were you, I'd google the Rising Stars of SU last year(I know that Mary Fish is one of them). I'd sign under one of them, mimic what they do, and be prepared to put more than 40 hours a week into it. If you've done this before, then you are not a newbie and you don't need an upline to hold your hand. what you do need is a business model.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

To the OP- Yes, I agree with you. Finding customers is hard and I think some of us are forgetting that having a customer base has a lot has to do with the area in which we live and the economy. For example, I live about 10 miles away from a town here in PA that has the highest unemployment rate in the state.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 281 Likes on 101 Posts

First of all, most of the people I know who joined Stampin' Up! did so when they really needed this type of experience. Myself included, many ladies (sorry guys!) had been through divorces, miscarriages (my own experience), difficult jobs, and other various difficulties. Becoming a demo helps you focus on things that are beautiful, creative, and intended for encouraging relationships (occasions, friendship, thank you, birthday, etc.). I found that during my severe depression following being laid off and then losing a baby, I really NEEDED something beautiful in my life to keep my mind and hands busy instead of slipping farther down into an emotional hole. Sending thoughtful cards and growing relationships with friends, family, stamper customers, and other demos was a key component in my healing from my difficulties. This period lasted about 2 years. Then things changed . . .

Second, I got back on my feet and my needs were now different. I had a new baby and I had less time to put into detailed make-n-takes for several parties a month. I realized now that my expenses (supplies, time, babysitters, gas, etc) were FAR outweighing my income. For the time when my emotional needs were overwhelming, the benefits outweighed the costs. But when that changed, I realized that I had to do something different to make this work for my family. So I built a downline and started to earn income from that. I won a few recruiting awards at convention and felt good about coming up in the company. Things were working out until . . .

Third, SU made a change in their payment and advancement system. Before, I did not have to reach any sales minimums to reap the financial rewards from my downline. They changed that to me needing to keep up a hefty minimum to get anything from that. This was NOT going to work for my family at all. There was no way I could do so much in sales a month to meet that. Also . . .

Fourth, I was seeing some patterns emerge that I was not aware of when I started. SU would retire a set of something and then we would all get rid of it. Then they would bring it back with a tiny change/new name/jacked up price and then we would all buy it again. I felt like I was on a merry-go-round of wasted money and frustration. I realize they need to keep things competitive and "fresh" feeling. They had to compete or go out of business, and THAT would leave all of us hung out to dry. But the patterns continued: certain things were only offered in the in-colors and many customers were saying that they have piles of things that are retired and old and "out." Less and less of the catalog items were things that they could continue to see ways to use or buy accessories to go with. Also, with so much coming "in" and then going "out" just as quickly, I felt pressured to keep buying, buying, buying to keep current and have the "latest" things for my group or they would go where they had the "in" thing.

Finally, I decided to end my time as a demo. I had a room full of scrappin' stuff--what a dream! And I had friends and skills I never would have developed without SU in my journey. I am still a customer! I am still a fan! Since then I have started my own company (not a craft company) and I make somewhere between $800 and $1000 a week. My family is very happy and we are reaching many goals for our lives. My husband and I laugh now and say, "Wow! Babe, you would have had to sell $5,000 of SU to make that income this week. Crazy!" That's a lot of ink pads.

Bottom line, when it is the right TIME in your life and the right thing for your family, it is GREAT. When it is NOT the right time or not the right thing, you will know something is not right. It has to be the best thing or you and your family at the time.

Just my .02. More like $20. Ha!
Best of luck!

Kirsten
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

well I'm a new demo, I'd surfing the net to see how i can make this work. One thing i must say off the bat the demo i sigh up under is an amazing demo and successful, i buy from her every month i spend an average $100 a month then the kit went on sale for sale-a-bration and well i figure i be my own best customer to start, before i join i was already making cards for everyone i know including the staff at my kids school, the teachers love it. For now no advice from me im still figuring out and demo is very inspiring. I'm thinking of doing a workshop in my house for myself and invite every1 i know hoping this will help me kick off my business, has far were i live, the economy in lexington Kentucky is ok its been stable, good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I was a Hobby Demo. Until Jan 31,2012 I noticed I was short $19.48 so I thought I better order something to keep my Status. This was at 10:00 PM on the 31st and I already was cut off from ordering. Doesn't this come from UT and it would have been
8:00 there,and I am in IA. They said I could join again, but why do I want to join again
the way they treated me. I love the SU products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by litesView Post
I was a Hobby Demo. Until Jan 31,2012 I noticed I was short $19.48 so I thought I better order something to keep my Status. This was at 10:00 PM on the 31st and I already was cut off from ordering. Doesn't this come from UT and it would have been
8:00 there,and I am in IA. They said I could join again, but why do I want to join again
You can just call Demo Support, I'm sure they'll do an exception for you and you can just place your $19.48 order to keep in active status. I have found Demo Support just wonderful to work with, as the rest of the company. I'm very glad I signed up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

To Rhonda (OP): what do you consider "success" with SU? If you want to be a top demo, you must work extremely hard and dedicate more than full-time hours to it. I found that I have probably spent less this past year (after my initial giant order to take advantage of the 30% discount) than I did before. And I have gotten sooooo much more products, and have met some new people. Every penny I've earned so far has gone back to feed my addiction. But at least it's helping that I'm not digging into my pocket as much. Anyways, like everyone else, I struggle with finding new customers, getting friends to host workshops. But I actually enjoy this kind of a challenge. I'm trying to think outside of the box, outside of the traditional way of home parties. Small successes measured one tiny baby step at a time for me. Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

If by successful, you mean actually earning an income, I think you will find that it is unrealistic.

Everyone who has said that the very successful demos probably put in more than 40hr weeks, are absolutely correct. I would be very interested to know what their earings work out to be per hour.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Default One other important part (the most important)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeechelleView Post
If by successful, you mean actually earning an income, I think you will find that it is unrealistic.

Everyone who has said that the very successful demos probably put in more than 40hr weeks, are absolutely correct. I would be very interested to know what their earings work out to be per hour.
You are right as far as the hours needed, but IMHO, the most important part is having a downline. You will not be successful in any MLM organization without a deadline. You have to look past all of the koolaid to see the true picture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by litesView Post
Sorry - I am confused. Why did you have a deadline of January 31st? I thought the quarter ended on December 31st and now you have until the end of March to meet your minimums?

Maybe it is worth the call to Demo Support. Maybe the site was down for maintenance right then... I see to recall them doing some updating for SAB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbutlerView Post
You are right as far as the hours needed, but IMHO, the most important part is having a downline. You will not be successful in any MLM organization without a deadline. You have to look past all of the koolaid to see the true picture.
This is so true. Given the hours to pay ratio, you'd probably make more money as a barista for Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #22  

Received 844 Likes on 278 Posts

Every demo has their own definition of success. I've made my own minimums by myself for the most part until last fall and the Booking Blitz. I booked 3 workshops. One just barely qualified, one was totally bust, and 1 was the second biggest workshop I'd ever had in my 5 years as a demo.
The booking blitz helped me to get motivated to drum up some business.Well the blitz and the fact that our rent increased by several hundred dollars a month and took away a serious percentage of my stamping/beading money.
My goal for now is for customers to make my minimums and then some for me. If I can pay for all of my supplies with the Instant Income form customer orders then I will consider myself successful. Right now I can't invest 40+ hours a week into being uber successful (my kids have too many church/school activities) with dozens in my downline and that's okay with me.
In economically depressed areas a person just needs to work a little harder and figure out creative ways to make money. Maybe you (general you need to be willing to travel a little further) Or maybe you need to figure out how to create very inexpensive but appealing projects.

Once I stopped being selective about who I gave my handmade cards and giftable items to and started giving them to everybody I knew over a period of time I saw an increase in interest/sales.

Making your business successful isn't necessarily an easy endeavor but neither is it impossible.
Figure out what success means to you. Once you have done that then you can more easily figure out what you will have to do to make it happen. Set goals. If you don't reach them by the deadline you set for yourself then reset the goals. If you need an active upline that will help you and motivate you as needed, find one. If you can work well on your own and are a self-motivator then sign up under whoever. Patience and persistence pay off- just not as fast as you might want them to sometimes. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #23  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGoddessView Post
Sorry - I am confused. Why did you have a deadline of January 31st? I thought the quarter ended on December 31st and now you have until the end of March to meet your minimums?

Maybe it is worth the call to Demo Support. Maybe the site was down for maintenance right then... I see to recall them doing some updating for SAB.
She was probably in pending, in which case she would have had until Jan 31st to make her minimum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

The demos that seem to do well in my area (I am not a demo) have "Stamp a Stacks" where they charge appropriately for the amt of cards made and/or a percent off of a purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes