Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 800 Likes on 326 Posts
Default If you could have just ONE die cut machine...

Which would you choose and why?

I've very interested in them, I've read some of the threads to try and determine the difference between Cricut, Big Shot, Cuttlebug, Grand Calibur etc. It is SO overwhelming! I don't do a lot of scrapbooking, mostly card making.

I've watched videos on how a couple of them are used. One showed the Grand Calibur I think it was, anyway the handle was a strange jerking back and forth.

Budget is a concern for me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to use every size die out there, the AccuCut GrandeMARK is the machine you need.

If you want to use almost every die out there, the Sizzix Big Shot Pro is for you.

If you want to use the most common die sizes, a Big Kick/Big Shot/Vintaj (same machine, different body/color) is my choice over the Cuttlebug.

The Grande Calibur is only for wafer thin dies (Spellbinders, Quickutz/Leisure Crafts, Bosskut, PTI, Memory Box/Poppystamps, etc.). It cannot accommodate thick dies like the Sizzix Originals, Ellison, and AccuCut dies.

Computer-/Cartridge-driven cutters are a whole 'nother thread!

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 01-15-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are mostly a card maker I would go with the big shot. I started with the big shot and still have it. I also have the cricut and gazelle but I use those most for scrapbooks. I have the cricut but cartridges can get expensive. Dies for the big shot can get expensive too but at Joanns you can use your 40% off coupons. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I am glad you started this thread! I am so confused by the things too. I want one..but I am not so sure I "need" one. KWIM? If I were to get one I probably would get the CB..as it is the least expensive, and has the smallest foot print. BUT, I do love some of things a Big Shot can do too ( like cut thicker materials..not sure I would ever need that feature but I like it LOL)I don't see myself using it enough for a hobby to justify the heafty price tag that comes with a lot of them. I adore the vagabond but I just don't want to pay that much for it. I do LOVE the look I see on a lot of the projects that utilize the die cuts. I personally think they can take a project..be it patterend paper or a stamped image to the next level of looking professional.

Like I said I am still on the fence about which one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #5  

So the Cuttlebug is cheaper than the Big Shot, which would be good because the Spellbinders dies that I like are like 20.00 a piece! Will Spellbinders dies work in the Cuttlebug?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Magnolia: Yes, the Cuttlebug works with Spellbinders. If you go to the Spellbinder website they list the proper plate stack for every machine on the market.

I have several die cut machines. I must admit that I use my Vagabond (Tim Holtz electronic version of the Big Shot) the most. The Cuttlebug is a close second and is what I use when I need to tote it to wherever I'm working.

If I were to purchase one I would buy the Big Shot or Vagabond. You will be able to cut from wafer dies, like Spellbinders, up to Sizzix steel rule dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Big shot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

So call me crazy I started with a Sidekick (Sizzex) Then I bought a Cuttlebug Then I got a Cricut then I thought I would sell my Cricut on e-bay (but didn't) and got Cricut expression and then I got a Bog Shot. So I'm on die cutting overload. I use the Big Shot probably the most b.c it's SU but the Cricut has a lot of cartridges and they are getting more affordable. o hardly ever use my Cuttlebug and necer the Sidekick since I have the bigger machines. I got the bag for the Big Shot so it's not bad toting it around
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

The Cuttlebug is by far the least expensive and is a great all-around machine. Spellbinders work great in it. It's also a nice size if you want to take it to crops.

I had a Big Shot that I didn't use much because I was so used to the Cuttlebug so I sold it. The few times I used it I was happy with it. It was a nice solid machine and is the medium price range.

If you want to go all out then get the Vagabond. It's awesome and very powerful. You will need to get a "Solo Thin Die Adapter" to use with Spellbinders and other thin dies.

Sizzix Accessory - Solo Wafer-Thin Die Adapter | Sizzix.com

It's the priciest of the three machines but well worth it. Also, it is motorized so you don't have to crank the plates through it... really handy for folks with arthritis, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to choose just one and I picked the Big Shot. It is not only the most versatile (can even use some of the narrow grand dies and also the thick Sizzix Tim Holtz dies) but it is one of the most affordable. It is $64 at overstock.com and $60 at ohmycrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my Cuttlebug! It was the first real "tool" that I bought after I started making cards several years ago. I have used it for several years, and it works as good as the day I took it out of the box. I remember being so excited that I had a coupon and could get it at Michaels for not too much money.

I don't have a dedicated craft room, and lug stuff around and back and forth to the table where I work. The small size of the CB makes it ideal for me. I keep it in a sturdy cardboard file box, along with the embossing folders that I use most often. It's very handy to pick it up by the handle from the box, put it on my table to use it, then put it back in the box under my table again.

I use it with all different kinds of dies, Spellbinders, Papertrey, My Favorite Things, etc. I only make cards, so don't feel a need for a bigger platform. I know some like to use different materials like felt, chipboard, grunge, etc. but I don't diecut anything but cardstock, so it suits me.

So far, it's going strong, but if it ever broke, I would probably get another Cuttlebug instead of one of the other machines.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post

I don't have a dedicated craft room, and lug stuff around and back and forth to the table where I work. The small size of the CB makes it ideal for me.
Great point Bugga... the CB is great if you are limited on space. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Love my Bug, and you can use all dies in it, including the Sizzix steel rule dies.

I'm not sure if you can still find the original Cuttlebug now; if you buy version 2, be sure to buy a "C" plate because it's not included with v.2; and you need the "C" plate in order to cut the thin dies like Spellbinders, Quickutz and PTI dies.

I just saw Bugga's post: the Bug will cut felt and chipboard; I haven't cut grungeboard, but I feel sure the Bug would cut it also.

And like Bugga, if mine ever broke, I'd buy another Cuttlebug.

Last edited by uncbballfan; 01-15-2012 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: add'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I dont know if I could live without my cricut or my big shot lol
keep an eye out on cricutmachine.com they have awesome deals and they have the cricut machines and cuttlebug machines .Deals change every 3 - 4 days or so and sometimes tou can get them for next to nothing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I had to choose just one and I picked the Big Shot. It is not only the most versatile (can even use some of the narrow grand dies and also the thick Sizzix Tim Holtz dies) but it is one of the most affordable. It is $64 at overstock.com and $60 at ohmycrafts.com
The cheapest Cuttlebug I could find was $53 on Amazon. (Google shopping search) Not enough price difference to be significant especially if you have to buy some other plate to accommodate the thin dies.

You know Hobby Lobby sells Cuttlebug for $89! So if you use the 40% coupon .. that's still $54. Of course you'd save shipping.

Y'all have been so helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got my CB at Michael's W/ a 50% off coupon. I only do cards and cut foil, cardstock nothing like foam so for me it is great. And when I have to "crank" out a lot of die cut what ever I figure I'm burning calories. I have onlyhad to buy B plates. and use the 40 or 50% off to keep a extra set on hand. Since I don't scrapbook I don't feel the need for anything else. Depends on what or how much you plan to cut.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Overstock.com has the pink BS for $63.99 today ( not including shipping)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #18  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
Overstock.com has the pink BS for $63.99 today ( not including shipping)
Amazon has it for $60
Amazon.com: big shot

I think, I'll save up and get a Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Awesome..I am leaning towards the Big Shot as well..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

CuttleBug
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have: Cuttlebug, Big Shot, Grand Caliber and Slice Elite. I USE: Cuttlebug and Slice.
I really love the Cuttlebug it is my favorite unit...probably because it is smaller and yet mighty.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

Cuttlebug

It cuts funfoam and everything else.

Anything it doesn't cut would be from the die being too thin.

It takes the thick dies like sizzix down to the thin ones like nesties.

I like the winder instead of the lever like the wizzard.

And it takes up very little room on my desk. Ithas even gone to crops with me sometime.

I would only want something bigger for scrapbooking.

Just to put a spanner inthe works, if you are computer savy, an electroniccutter that you can make files for can work out cheper in the long run (I end up using my electonic mostly on scrapping though)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I was a die cutting queen. You can look at my posts over here for proof, lol. I have used, tried, owned every die cutter on the market. I am not exaggerating about that. I am a tech geek and I just found die cutters so interesting when I first saw one in the late 1980's. I was also in charge of the big heavy Accu systems when I was in school. I loved die cutters. I now have die cutter burnout. I just crashed. I went back to paper piecing and die cutting the old fashion way. That's by hand.

I am in the process of packing away many of my cutters. I am doing if I had to choose one which would it be?

Manual- Cuttlebug. Small size, compact, fits my needs. Like Bugga said you can drag it around easy. I have a dedicated craft room but I craft in the living room. I don't like to haul my craft room with me when I want to make something. Cuttlebug fits it for me. Definitely smaller than the other cutters like the Big Shot. I hardly use manual dies anymore. I enjoy embossing. The dies I use are for mixed media so I don't need huge since I work in minature a lot.

Electronic machine- Gazelle. Does everything under the sun. Smallest 12x12 cutter on the market so it doesn't take up a lot of space. That means something to me since I hate huge tools. I can cut everything from acetate to cardstock. That means a lot to me. There is a learning curve when you get in the electronic machines and you definitely have to find the one that fits your personality.

My DH just bought me a Cricut Imagine. Did I say I hate big tools? I do! The machine is huge. I hurt my back picking it up. Bad Imagine. I am mad at you. I do really love that machine. I am very happy with it. I didn't want the machine but he surprised me. It really fits my personality as an artist.

As you can see it's hard to decide on just one. Because they all do so many different things. Those are the ones I narrowed it down too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

If I could have only one (hey, I do only have one!), and money was no limit it would be the Big Shot Pro. Takes 12x12, takes the Bigz dies...
DH likes the idea of some of the electronic cutters - Silhouette, Craft Robo, but personally I don't think we'd use it enough. I'd like it for the lettering, but I quite enjoy detailed hand-cutting. And as they don't dry emboss I'd still need a manual one, so manual wins hands down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
If I could have only one (hey, I do only have one!), and money was no limit it would be the Big Shot Pro. Takes 12x12, takes the Bigz dies...
DH likes the idea of some of the electronic cutters - Silhouette, Craft Robo, but personally I don't think we'd use it enough. I'd like it for the lettering, but I quite enjoy detailed hand-cutting. And as they don't dry emboss I'd still need a manual one, so manual wins hands down.
I love to hand cut too. I think it's so relaxing. I love it so much I debated on selling my machines. I cut out a lot of mixed media. I love to hand cut paper. I don't like to hand cut acetate.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default If you could have just ONE die cut machine

Another vote for the bug as it does everything I need. For the price of $7.19 brand new at Michaels......what more could you ask for.

Well you tell anyone who is asking what to get you for your birthday for a $10 0r $20 gift card to Michaels.If you get a couple or three in these amounts then you wait....for a 50% off coupon. Thats how you get it for $7.19.
Its the best deal I ever got at a Michaels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Have had the Cuttlebug forever, so it's all I know. Have been to a lot of Big Shot classes, but I can't see anything that does that the Cuttlebug can't do.

Spellbinders: Remember your JoAnn or Michael's 40-50% off coupons. They'll take them for Spellbinders and that cuts the price way down! More affordable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Since I am a woman & I can change my mind. I went with the Big Shot over the Cuttlebug. I have a good reason though. My CB needs to go out to the Cuttlebug pasture. She is getting tired and doesn't work as well any more. I loved her very much. After I posted which machine I pick my CB got temperamental with me and doesn't want to play any more. I had to cut felt and she was not happy about it. My BS cut it like a dream.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #29  
Inking Addict

I had the cuttlebug and got the big shot when SU first got it in the catty. I liked the size of the bug, but it moved a lot when I was trying to emboss. I used embossing folders for my wedding programs and was so irritated by the end I wanted to throw it. I had it suctioned to the dining room table and it would still move. I got the big shot and its a bit heavier and the way the handle on top is placed, its easier (for me) to get it to stay put so I would have to say I like the big shot better.

I still want some sort of electric machine but I can't decide between a cricut or a silhouette.

My Blog- A work in progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #30  

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessBaachView Post
I had the cuttlebug and got the big shot when SU first got it in the catty. I liked the size of the bug, but it moved a lot when I was trying to emboss. I used embossing folders for my wedding programs and was so irritated by the end I wanted to throw it. I had it suctioned to the dining room table and it would still move. I got the big shot and its a bit heavier and the way the handle on top is placed, its easier (for me) to get it to stay put so I would have to say I like the big shot better.

I still want some sort of electric machine but I can't decide between a cricut or a silhouette.
This is very helpful thank you. That sounds like something I might have an issue with as well. Especially since my desk and work table are both very smooth surfaces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #31  
Inking Addict

I'm sure other people don't have that problem but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. I still have it, sitting on a shelf, but I use the big shot all the time

My Blog- A work in progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I too favor the big shot. I use it on almost every card. But for scrapping, I use my cricut E a lot. I have an older model that I can use scal on- when it dies I am switching to a gazelle. The big shot to me feels way more stable than the cuttlebug. Yes, it is heavier, and takes up more room- but it stays put when I crank it. If I had to choose- I couldn't I can't A2 emboss with my Cricut, and My big shot isn't as versatile as my E with Scal. HTH

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #33  

If you want a machine that does it all....big shot pro....all dies and folders work in it!!!! But it is BIG and HEAVY!!! But I love my big shot pro!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #34  

Guess What? We just got back from Hobby Lobby. My DH took me to get the Big Shot (Big Kicks) for my birthday! Happy Happy

I bought a textured impressions embossing folder. We each used a coupon, so I got the Big Kicks for $60.00 and the emb. folder for $7.00.

I didn't want to buy more than one, cause then he'd realize how $$ this will be. But he was looking at the computerized cutting things... the Cricut and he said, "how about that one?" I showed him the price and he went, "oh" But I did think it was sweet that he wanted me to have it.. well until he discovered the price lol He's a very practical farm boy, so arts/crafts are a luxury to his way of thinking.

I've been playing and I love it, DH thought it was very cool too!

Thanks so much for all your help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #35  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

I love my big shot, have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

What an awesome b- day gift!! I know you will have fun playing! I hear that embossing folders as well as dies can be found really cheap on e-bay..so check there..My husband wants me to invest in the Vagabond..but it costs SO much..I hate the very thought of it..but since my neck and wrists have been giving me a holy fit for two days now ( been on meds and heat..and rest..and blah blah.. I may just obilge him LOL..
Let us know how you like you machine..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Inkin On -

Check 'Oh My Craft'. They have the Vagabond on sale often and have a coupon code for purchases of specific amounts and sometimes free shipping.

Also, check JoAnn online because, I think, I saw the 'V' on sale on that website.

I got a 'V' for Christmas and have use it a little. I like the 'look' of the machine-old style suitcase. It weighs 14 lbs so is very stable. The motor is not noisy and the sandwich goes through smoothly. That is, unless you goof, like me, and make it too thick. Luckily, I only tore the card stock and didn't jam the sandwich between the rollers! I was using my Big Shot plates and forgot to open the tabs.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #38  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a cuttlebug and I love it!! Its the perfect all rounder for my cards! I don't need it to cut anything thicker as its too heavy for a card. It works with all the dies and folders I have purchased (not just cuttlebug).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

you can use a michaels coupon on the sizzix bigkick machine, some stores even have it in the periwinkle color now!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
What an awesome b- day gift!! I know you will have fun playing! I hear that embossing folders as well as dies can be found really cheap on e-bay..so check there..My husband wants me to invest in the Vagabond..but it costs SO much..I hate the very thought of it..but since my neck and wrists have been giving me a holy fit for two days now ( been on meds and heat..and rest..and blah blah.. I may just obilge him LOL..
Let us know how you like you machine..

@Inkin one ~ You crack me up I cannot believe that you haven't got a machine yet! You are so strong willed, I should have some of your will power! Anyways, I should receive my "Vagabond" in the next few days. "Oh my crafts" still has them on sale. You can also do a google search for a coupon code(that is what I did) and it will take it off of the sale price too. My total came to $151.99 and the shipping was even free. I'm also getting an $10.00 gift card as well. I know it is a lot of money to spend on a machine but I'm sure in the long run you will be much better off. You will be able to craft and not hurt your hands in the process. I think you should oblige your husband, make him happy and yourself too. How nice of your hubby to want you to get it!! I will be waiting to hear what you decide! Take care!
Reply With Quote Likes