Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ranger Distress Inks question

some of my ink pads are very juicy. others are not.

I am trying to figure out whether this is just luck or a characteristic of certain colors.

For example, my Milled Lavendar is pretty dry.

Would appreciate your experience!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found the same thing with some of my distress pads.

Sheena
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that too. Not sure what it's about. I have been slowly buying the refills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

I can't answer any of the questions, but maybe you guys can answer mine. What is the difference between distress inks adn dye inks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all ink pads are as wet as others. It really depends on the type of ink. You don't want to have the pad be soggy so be careful with how often you use a reinker.

Also remember that the pads don't last forever. You do need to replace the pad itself from time to time. At least every few years.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks patti!! My pads are actually relatively new. But some of them are more dry than others, that's why I've been trying to buy some reinkers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mine are brand new. I'll be back later to respond to the question on the difference between distress and regular dye ink. iin short, distress stay wet longer and therefore blend much better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had to use ink refresher on ALL my paler colors of Distress Ink. At first I thought they weren't inked well at the factory, but I found when I used refresher they came back to life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

well i'm not happy. these ink pads are $5!!! ok, I'll get off my high horse and be happy with the fact that i love these.

to respond to the question about how they differ, check out this blog and look at this woman's work. Inspired by... she colors backgrounds and images with distress inks and i drool!!

You can also go on you tube and search some videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]View Post
I can't answer any of the questions, but maybe you guys can answer mine. What is the difference between distress inks adn dye inks?
Distress inks stay wet longer, giving them wonderful blending qualities. They are water based dye inks, which means they will react with water for some great techniques.

Here is Tim Holtz's video on Distress Ink techniques

Video Demo of Distress Inks by Tim Holtz

Glenda is another FABULOUS creator who uses disterss inks to color her images
MagPie's Corner
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
some of my ink pads are very juicy. others are not.

I am trying to figure out whether this is just luck or a characteristic of certain colors.

For example, my Milled Lavendar is pretty dry.

Would appreciate your experience!
To be honest, I think this is a characteristic of some colors (like SU's bashful blue...that ink pad was ALWAYS dry for me!!).

I have found that it doesn't take much reinker tho, to get the pad up to par again
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you find an answer to your question? I love how the Ranger Distress inks work for the most part. I find the darker inks are juicier and easier to work with. My favorite Ranger Distress ink color is Walnut Stain. I ended up getting a new one recently not because it was dry but because I wore the pad out! I did a lot of direct to paper distressing. I do find the lighter Ranger Distress ink colors do seem to be drier so I don't use them as much, and try to find something else that will work a little better. Is the refresher just a spritz? Does each color ink pad have it's own spritz refresher?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 03:23 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Spun Sugar has been on the dry side since the day I bought it, which wasn't long ago. I ended up having to buy the re-inker, and it's a little better, but not one of the really wet colors. Very disappointing. My Bashful Blue is also like that. I constantly have to re-ink it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
Did you find an answer to your question? I love how the Ranger Distress inks work for the most part. I find the darker inks are juicier and easier to work with. My favorite Ranger Distress ink color is Walnut Stain. I ended up getting a new one recently not because it was dry but because I wore the pad out! I did a lot of direct to paper distressing. I do find the lighter Ranger Distress ink colors do seem to be drier so I don't use them as much, and try to find something else that will work a little better. Is the refresher just a spritz? Does each color ink pad have it's own spritz refresher?
I used Ranger's Perfect Ink Refresher, which rehydrates ink pads and water base markers
It comes in a 4 oz spray and is acid free. You can buy it at Joann.com and many other places. Scrapbookexpress.com has it on sale for $3.99, but I think I paid even less for it. I can't remember where I got it because I bought a lot of it at one time quite awhile ago. You may think you need more ink when you just need to refresh the pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
I used Ranger's Perfect Ink Refresher, which rehydrates ink pads and water base markers
It comes in a 4 oz spray and is acid free. You can buy it at Joann.com and many other places. Scrapbookexpress.com has it on sale for $3.99, but I think I paid even less for it. I can't remember where I got it because I bought a lot of it at one time quite awhile ago. You may think you need more ink when you just need to refresh the pad.
Hi Louisa May, I was wondering if you could please tell me whether you found that the ranger ink refresher affected the way the distress inks work? I want to try it out (since yup my milled lavender & lighter colours seem dry) but I'm concerned that the inks won't react to water the same way or blend as nicely. What do you find? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

My Shabby Shutters was really dry. It was also coming loose from the base (not sure if the two were related). It is probably the lightest of the colours I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Now that you mention it, my milled lavender was coming loose as well. Maybe that is related...
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKatView Post
My Shabby Shutters was really dry. It was also coming loose from the base (not sure if the two were related). It is probably the lightest of the colours I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampztoomuchView Post
Hi Louisa May, I was wondering if you could please tell me whether you found that the ranger ink refresher affected the way the distress inks work? I want to try it out (since yup my milled lavender & lighter colours seem dry) but I'm concerned that the inks won't react to water the same way or blend as nicely. What do you find? Thanks in advance.
Yes, the Ink Refresher worked well. I had to use it on the lighter colors, and it really helped. It refreshes the ink and makes it work much better. It doesn't make the colors darker (I didn't want that anyway), but it makes the ink flow. In my post I made a mistake when I said it refreshed "water based markers." I don't know where I got that. I meant other dye based inks! The refresher will help the ink blend better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I haven't had any trouble with mine. Perhaps you just got one from a bad batch? Why not contact Ranger? I've had all of the distress inks for a long time and they get a lot of use. I've only added reinker to the ones I use daily.

Good luck!

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Louisa May,

Thanks so much for your reply! Where I bought mine the write said it's good for markers too: *Ranger PERFECT INK REFRESHER Refresh Pad Marker Condition

Here are the instructions for the marker refreshing (though I haven't tried it myself since my bottle hasn't arrived in the mail yet)

"For Water Based Markers: Remove the end plug from the marker or gently pull the nib out. Use an eyedropper to apply Ink Refresher to pen reservoir. Return the plug or nib. Allow a few minutes for the moisture to saturate the ink core before using"

I do find that I do have to re-ink a lot of my pads often and some of the lids are loose (According to Ranger, new pads have more ink & are deeper pads). I have noticed quite a difference between ones I bought recently. The new pads are much more inky & lids are tighter. I've been thinking about storing them in an air-tight container because I think they evaporate in my climate.

Gotta love em!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
Yes, the Ink Refresher worked well. I had to use it on the lighter colors, and it really helped. It refreshes the ink and makes it work much better. It doesn't make the colors darker (I didn't want that anyway), but it makes the ink flow. In my post I made a mistake when I said it refreshed "water based markers." I don't know where I got that. I meant other dye based inks! The refresher will help the ink blend better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I HAVE WORKED IN THE BIG BOX PAINT SECTION AND AFTER ADDING THE PIGMENT WHICH IS PURE COLOR, TO THE PAINT DISPENSER MACHINE, HAVE NOTICED THE HEAVINESS TO DARKER COLORS. THIS IS BECAUSE THE PIGMENT IS HEAVIER AND KEEPS OUT LIGHT. DARKER COLORS HOLD THE MOISTURE LONGER THAN LIGHTER ONES. JUST LOOK THROUGH YOUR ACRYLIC OR OIL PAINTS YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN. SO WHEN IT COMES TO INKS THE SAME IDEA APPLIES JUST A THINNED OUT VERSION. JUST LIKE OIL AND ACRYLIC PAINTS, INK PADS WILL DRY OUT DIFFERENTLY DEPENDING ON COLOR AND WHETHER IT IS ALCOHOL OR WATER BASED. I HOPE THIS HELPS. (NO I WASN'T YELLING AT YOU.....JUST TOO LAZY TO TYPE CORRECTLY. NOW OFF TO STAMPING/CREATING
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Now that is fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KERRSKREATIONSView Post
I HAVE WORKED IN THE BIG BOX PAINT SECTION AND AFTER ADDING THE PIGMENT WHICH IS PURE COLOR, TO THE PAINT DISPENSER MACHINE, HAVE NOTICED THE HEAVINESS TO DARKER COLORS. THIS IS BECAUSE THE PIGMENT IS HEAVIER AND KEEPS OUT LIGHT. DARKER COLORS HOLD THE MOISTURE LONGER THAN LIGHTER ONES. JUST LOOK THROUGH YOUR ACRYLIC OR OIL PAINTS YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN. SO WHEN IT COMES TO INKS THE SAME IDEA APPLIES JUST A THINNED OUT VERSION. JUST LIKE OIL AND ACRYLIC PAINTS, INK PADS WILL DRY OUT DIFFERENTLY DEPENDING ON COLOR AND WHETHER IT IS ALCOHOL OR WATER BASED. I HOPE THIS HELPS. (NO I WASN'T YELLING AT YOU.....JUST TOO LAZY TO TYPE CORRECTLY. NOW OFF TO STAMPING/CREATING
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampztoomuchView Post
Hi Louisa May,

Thanks so much for your reply! Where I bought mine the write said it's good for markers too: *Ranger PERFECT INK REFRESHER Refresh Pad Marker Condition

Here are the instructions for the marker refreshing (though I haven't tried it myself since my bottle hasn't arrived in the mail yet)

"For Water Based Markers: Remove the end plug from the marker or gently pull the nib out. Use an eyedropper to apply Ink Refresher to pen reservoir. Return the plug or nib. Allow a few minutes for the moisture to saturate the ink core before using"

I do find that I do have to re-ink a lot of my pads often and some of the lids are loose (According to Ranger, new pads have more ink & are deeper pads). I have noticed quite a difference between ones I bought recently. The new pads are much more inky & lids are tighter. I've been thinking about storing them in an air-tight container because I think they evaporate in my climate.

Gotta love em!
The instructions on refreshing the markers are great! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes