Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Which Score tool do you prefer?
Scor-Pal: 80 51.28%
Martha Stewart: 37 23.72%
SU Simply Scored: 30 19.23%
Other: 9 5.77%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Scoring tool poll

I want to purchase a scoring tool...I have read the threads and still not sure...so I think a poll will help me...I need to see stats I guess...and if you choose Other could you post what it is?

I also would like reasons why you chose the product

Last edited by pigtail1; 01-10-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hougie Board. I have the crafter companion ultimate pro it is hopless My friend is a demonstrator (Independent) and she raves about the hougie - she has tried loads! I am looking into getting one too!! hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a scor-pal but may switch to MS. The MS board appears to have more notches. I realize the Stampin' Up one does, too, but I can use a coupon for the MS board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I tried my friends Scor-Pal and thought it was the coolest thing until I saw the Martha Stewart one and ended up buying that one because it has more notches. I love it. I haven't tried the Stampin up one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the newest Scor Pal-it has a sturdy tool, is well made, has more markings and the matching mat. I also have the MS one that is handy for envelopes, but it's scoring tool isn't nearly as sturdy or comfortable.
Haven't seen the SU one yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I voted for ScorPal because I have one and like it. But I've been curious about the Score-It board too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the Score Pal first and use it the most. Then I got the Martha Stewart board one day when it was only $10 - 50% off at Mikes.

I only use the Martha Stewart board to make envelopes using the template provided, or to make the paper medallions where you need to score 1/4" all down a strip of paper.

I use the Score Pal for all my cardmaking and to make the scores for boxes of all kinds.

If I try to use the Martha board for those things, I have a tendency to jump out of the groove too easily.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I like my Scor -Pal over the MS scoring board. I also got a MS score board at 50% off because of 1/4" marking grooves. However, I found the grooves are not as deep as the Scor-Pal. Even if I use a ball embosser it can jump the tracks, especially on heavy CS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I was wanting to purchase a scoring tool but didn't know which one to get, this has helped me make my mind up which one to get. I have tried a friend's MS but I too felt like I was always jumping out of the grooves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I voted that I like the Scor-Pal best, but really, I waffle back and forth between the ScorPal and the MS one. Its usually just a matter of which one is handy when I'm making a card and not buried under a pile of stuff left out. I find that with the MS one, I do have to use a different tool with it. I usually use an embossing stylus or the MS bone folder and go really slow when scoring, otherwise I do jump the track.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

My answers wouldn't really help your poll, lol, since I have all of them, including a few "other." It seems the grass is always greener...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

You won't just out of the grooves on the SU! scoring tool! The ball embosser, both little and larger ends, stay in the groove. And since it has grooves every 1/8th inch, there's no math like with my old ScorPal. Did ScorPal ever come out with a new one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #13  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought a scor-pal first, then was given the SU! one for Christmas this year. I prefer the SU! one. I prefer the ball embosser scoring tool, I like the grooves every 1/8th inch, and I like the little marker things which are useful if I am scoring multiples of something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I've rarely "jumped the track" on my MS scoring board. I love mine. I've tried the SP, but I don't like it very much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the "New and Improved" Scor Pal, and even with all my box-making and multi-score cards, I don't need any more grooves than it offers. It's a fantastic tool and I can't be caught without it! I am very happy with it and glad I have it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I voted other. Whether my choice appeals to you will depend on how you envisage using the tool to a certain extent. I absolutely love my Scor-It.

It's different than all the tools you listed though as it's not a board with grooves, it's a single metal ridge with a centering ruler along the top which means you move the paper for multiple scores. You can't beat the crispness of the score you get with this tool and what really swings it for me is that I like to make decorative score lines on a card sometimes. Because of the way this tool works, your card is face up when you do this so you can see exactly where to stop and start with your scores (example attached so you can see what I mean - this would be difficult if you laid the card down on the SP type tools since you wouldn't be able to see the hearts).
Attached Thumbnails
Scoring tool poll-petebeth2011.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've found for me that one tool might work best in one situation, where another is the best for a different application. For instance, in the midst of card making, the small-sized scoring tool is great for doing quick scores to fold a card base. It's handy, doesn't take up much real estate on the desk, etc.

An hour later, though, it might be time to work on 12x12 paper, let's say, or something requiring multiple scores, and I'd probably move to the bigger model. There's just no one-size-fits-all scoring tool, imo. (Or maybe that's just a total justification for being a tool slut; I don't know.....)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #18  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I've found for me that one tool might work best in one situation, where another is the best for a different application. For instance, in the midst of card making, the small-sized scoring tool is great for doing quick scores to fold a card base. It's handy, doesn't take up much real estate on the desk, etc.

An hour later, though, it might be time to work on 12x12 paper, let's say, or something requiring multiple scores, and I'd probably move to the bigger model. There's just no one-size-fits-all scoring tool, imo. (Or maybe that's just a total justification for being a tool slut; I don't know.....)

Thanks for the laugh! I needed that today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Default Score boards

SU! scoreboard ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Have tried them all and prefer the Scor-Pal and Scor-Buddy! Sturdy and easy to use and stay in the tracks. The Scor-Buddy is the handiest to have right on my working table and pack to take with me. The Scor-Pal is also not far from me for bigger things. Envelopes are easy to make too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a MS board at Michael's for 50% off, so that swayed me the most. I had been warned about the included bone folder feeling flimsy, and now use a CTMH ball embossing stylus, which has worked well the few times I've used it. I primarily got it for working on wedding invitations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Scor-it! I love that board. I always think it gets neglected in reviews over the more popular ones. The Scor-it is well constructed. It's made of metal, wood and higher end plastic. It's the only board on the market that can do the professional hinge fold you see on wedding invitations for example. If you are using fine linen papers to do wedding invitations this is the board you want to pick. You can score acetate, chipboard, interfaced fabric (Heat n'Bond), Thin Metals and thin wood. Vellum, thin scrapbook paper and tissue score beautifully with this tool. It's the true art scoring board. I think for a mixed media artist it's the definite pick. I am not affiliated with Scor-it. I did a lot of research on scoring board, had several of them: Creative Companion, Scor-Pal, Martha Stewart. The Scor-it hands down my favorite board.

I do have an MS Score board. I like the 1/8 inch lines. As a frugal girl love the pricing. Bone folder is too flimsy for thin paper. The lines are too shallow so when scoring you skip the track. I have done this with a stylus and bone folders.

Scor-Pal. That's a nice board. So much better than MS. I wish it had more lines. I don't know if the new ones do. I had trouble with it because I am dyslexic with numbers. I could not do the math correctly with that board. I had to get rid of it. My DH is a math whiz and he said the numbering system is better than MS. Like I said I am dyslexic so I will take his word for it, lol. Note- If anybody reading this is dyslexic, please don't let that deter you. You might nail the numbering system.

Creative Companion- Loved it! My Mom ran off with it. I got the MS Scoreboard.

Houghie- Fascinated! Hope to try one some day. I have many UK friends and they just love that board. They shelved their Creative Companion board. I don't know if that helps any for our UK and European girls/guys reading this.

SU Simply Scored- It's the MS Board with place markers. I can see where those place markers could come in handy. I can also see where the place markers would get lost too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
I got a MS board at Michael's for 50% off, so that swayed me the most. I had been warned about the included bone folder feeling flimsy, and now use a CTMH ball embossing stylus, which has worked well the few times I've used it. I primarily got it for working on wedding invitations.
Me too. Love that it has so many grooves and that I could get it for $12.00. I got mine for 40% off. I have not had any trouble with the bone folder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

scor-pal is the best ever..i love my scor-pal metric in cm! it is a lot of fun
kitty from Holland
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post

lol...i've been calling myself a pottery slut for years...i can't pass by a glazed bowl to save my life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have Martha Stewart's Score Board. I LOVE it. I bought MS because I couldn't find the score-pal in any store near me and I refused to pay for having it shipped to me when I could easily pick up MS's and buy it using a 50% coupon at Michaels. And, the full price of MS score board is less expensive anyway than the score-pal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I have three. I have the Scor Pal, the Scor Buddy and MS. MY first choice is Scor Pal. It is sturdy, deep grooves and I like the scoring too. I use it 95% of the time. I use the Buddy to groove my card bases mostly and to take along to classes. MS is pulled out when I need to do some envelopes quickly. I haven't tried the Simply Scored, but I can tell you I hate using the stylus. I get the feeling of nails on a chalkboard when I tried to use it on my scoreboards....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

Scor-pal. Very well made product and I love the blog and website. Great resource.

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

I have the score pal and simply scored. Simply scored is my fav because of the markers, the scores and especially the score tool. I find regular bone folders hard to hold....includong the one w/score pal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 05:19 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Another vote for MS here. It is the only one I have ever used but it works and I like it so I never saw need in buying other scor boards that all basically do the same thing..kwim? I liked the fact that it had the templet for envelopes on the back..and the place to put my scor tool. Also as a pp said..I could use a cupon for it so that was perfect for me. I have had mine for about 3 years now..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #31  
Inking Addict

I get over zealous sometimes with the MS board and the scorer goes thru the cardstock. I do press hard so it doesn't skip over to another line. This gets very frustrating and I am thinking about changing to the Scor-pal. tell me if you have one do you experience the same thing? Also, who has problems scoring linen type papers? Solutions?

Imagination is more important than knowledge. A.E.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I prefer the SU! scoring tool because the little brown tool is made of metal so it doesn't wear away. I like the grooves every 1/8" too because I do alot of boxes and stuff, so it's easier than the others to use for that. I also like the little markers because they make it easier to find commonly used grooves. The little compartment in the back is pretty neat too, because it stores all my scoring stuff so when I travel with it I remember where I put everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SP and the MS. The SP is very sturdy and I love it but bought the original and I hate doing the math it takes, so I only use it for projects without fussy measurements.Love that the scorer has a spot right on the front and "locks" in. MS was bought with a coupon, making it really cheap. Love all the measurements. Agree that you can jump out of the grooves, but I just go slower and it's not a problem. I also use a stylus instead of tool that comes with it. Good Luck with your choice!
Kathy T in SW IN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by misschameleonView Post
I get over zealous sometimes with the MS board and the scorer goes thru the cardstock. I do press hard so it doesn't skip over to another line. This gets very frustrating and I am thinking about changing to the Scor-pal. tell me if you have one do you experience the same thing? Also, who has problems scoring linen type papers? Solutions?

Imagination is more important than knowledge. A.E.
i'm reading this happens a lot too...and i think i've just about eliminated this one from consideration...but i still haven't decided...may have to get 2 just to ck them out...the scor-pal and the scor-it...or the SU SS...won't be a problem to have 2 since the dd's craft with me and can use one while i use the other
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #35  
Inking Addict

is there a way to score a pattern (like a heart) on a piece of paper using a score board...thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by babygirl-is-my-catView Post
is there a way to score a pattern (like a heart) on a piece of paper using a score board...thanks
not that i've ever heard of...usually do dry embossing for that sort of thing
Reply With Quote Likes