Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copic storage

I just ordered a lot of Copic Sketch Markers to add to my collection, and I'm looking for an inexpensive way to store my Copics. I would rather spend my money on the markers than expensive storage solutions. Anyone know of a system that makes the markers visible and organized - but inexpensive?

dolores
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

This is the set up I and several others use.
Ultimate storage case by DeVine at Splitcoaststampers

I see you are new here and this site is so massive it can be overwhelming to navigate in the beginning. A tip is there is a wonderful "search " feature. It is under " In the Forums" located in the blue/grey box on the left of this page . It is the last in the column and has an arrow. Hit the arrow and you will get a drop down box to type a couple of words to describe what you are seeking.

Everyone is more than willing to answer questions, but sometime you need an answer before some one has time to respond.
Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am glad that we are revisiting this subject again. I have 75 or 80 Copics and I keep them in a mini craft tote. It's okay, but I have room for only four or five more markers.

The modified Artbin is really nice for someone with 300 or more markers, but it's really overkill for someone with less than 100. I have a 3L Really Useful Box that I hoped to repurpose, but the box is about 1/4" too shallow. I'd like to go with the half-size Artbin that Cathy bought, but did not see it on the JoAnn's Website. Did I miss it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I am glad that we are revisiting this subject again. I have 75 or 80 Copics and I keep them in a mini craft tote. It's okay, but I have room for only four or five more markers.

The modified Artbin is really nice for someone with 300 or more markers, but it's really overkill for someone with less than 100. I have a 3L Really Useful Box that I hoped to repurpose, but the box is about 1/4" too shallow. I'd like to go with the half-size Artbin that Cathy bought, but did not see it on the JoAnn's Website. Did I miss it?
Well here is my logic for what it is worth.
The larger ArtBin satchel may be over kill now. However, I love using Copics and I am sure I will continue to add to my collection. In time I will outgrow the smaller ArtBin and need to spend more money to assemble the larger one. Plus in a couple of years I may need to search high and low to find the larger one. You know how these things come and go. So I went ahead and assembled the larger one.

Before I had the ArtBin I repurposed small mailing boxes as dividers and kept them in a cheap plastic sweater box that I had . The Copics were taller than the sweater box, but it was just a temporary storage system. My first 15-20 markers were stored in a couple of ceramic mugs LOL

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 12-29-2011 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Well here is my logic for what it is worth.
The larger ArtBin satchel may be over kill now. However, I love using Copics and I am sure I will continue to add to my collection. In time I will outgrow the smaller ArtBin and need to spend more money to assemble the larger one.
I'm going to give this some serious thought. I have experienced not having the "right" red, rose and blue shades, which resulted in another Copic order. And I'm sure that will happen again. On the other hand, I don't want to be overwhelmed by all the color choices and I fear that a box 2/3 empty will start to whisper, "Fill me, fill me full!" LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

You could use your Really Useful box with some cardboard dividers until you have collected enough markers for the larger box. This is what I used before I assembled the ArtBin box although I just used a plastic box I had.
Watch for the large ArtBin to go on sale and buy it and set it aside. You will always be able to buy the grating and the carriage bolts and nuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I was going to use the Really Useful box, but it's about 1/4" too short. I can't get the lid to snap on with the Copics in an upright position.

The ArtBin is on sale at JoAnn's for about $24. I also found it at my favorite online store, Scrapbooking-Warehouse with an everyday price of about $23: ArtBin Double Deep Super Satchel - Translucent

I'm still waffling back and forth about the smaller version. I like the idea of easier storage and not having to fight with a larger lid. It's $10 at Scrapbooking-Warehouse: ArtBin Super SEMI Satchel If anyone has made a box from one of these smaller ones I'd love to see it.

Right now, this is how I'm storing my Copic markers. In the center, I have my clear refill and my black and brown Memento ink pads and color chart. I have a second mini tote that I can use if I get more markers, but I'd rather have a container with a lid so they don't spill while traveling. I'll probably stick with this until I make up my mind about what I want:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Can anyone tell me how many Copics can fit into a ArtBin Super SEMI Satchel?

dolores
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Dolores, I have no clue. The semi is half the size of its big sister, which holds 350+ markers. Logic would say it holds half the number of markers, about 175. BUT . . . I would guess that the construction process (ie: fitting the grid inside) could end up in it holding half, minus one or two rows. Still, I'd think it would easily hold 150 Copics.

As I said in an above post, if anyone has converted the SEMI into a Copics box, I'd love to see it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Instead of the Art-Bin satchel, I purchased a container from Lock n Lock that has a lid with a handle. My collection is small -- but growing -- and I think this container will hold around 150 markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I've been dying to share this...

If anyone in your family, or you, drinks bottled beer....buy 2-3 six pack bottles,we prefer Yeungling, duct tape the side that joins to the bottom closed so it stays closed, and you have perfect, cheap, handled, copic storage. Two six packs did great for me. If you feel so inclined, cover the carton with pretty paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm curious why the really useful box did not work for melissa59. I have mine and it works great, I even have room to put my projects on top of the markers. Did you use the 17L?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Tammy, no I didn't use the 17-Litre. I was hoping to use my 3-Litre boxes. The interior of the box is about 1/2" too short to fit my Copics in an upright position.

I might take a look at other boxes available. I'd prefer not to use a really big one--especially since I have only 80 Copics. I'd rather go with something about 1/2 the size of the Artbin Double Deep. One thing I like about the Really Useful Box is that I won't have a large swinging lid to deal with in my cramped crafting space or while I'm at a crop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I should add that I just looked up the measurements on Office Depot. There is one 3-Liter (blue, even though mine is clear) that measures 6 1/2"h x 7 1/4"w x 9 1/2"d. And there is another 3-Liter box (clear, like mine, though taller) that measures 7"h x 6 1/4"w x 9"d.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I have made several of these storage boxes for friends and we all have various sized collections. One of the boxes that is a popular size was a box i picked up from Meijer in the Rubbermaid section. This is not a Rubbermaid container but is found in that kind of section of the store. The container is designed for dry good storage, has a lid with handle that can be removed totally, and was selling perfect size both in capacity and height. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #16  
neglecting the kids and housework

SHeesh talk about cheap...we dumped our old dishwasher but I grabbed the utensil basket before hand...it is aqua, I love aqua. Didn't know what I'd use it for until I started my Copic collection. I love it. It's slender, four compartments in a row and holds them all upright so it doesnt' take up too much space on my small desk. Best part is it was FREE! I'm contemplating asking on freecycle for another one because the collection is growing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

budlight

I don't have many but they do fit in a 6 pack cardboard carrier pretty nicely. Tape up the bottom edges so they don't fall out. FREE cant get cheaper than that with an attached handle!

Well, now I have noticed that StampinChrissylea mentioned the same idea. i hope you like the picture.

Last edited by momma_hollis; 02-11-2012 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: posted duplicate idea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I store mine in acrylic boxes from Michaels. I lay them on their side and stack them as tower. The boxes are around $3 each so the investment is low. If I add more markers I can buy easily buy more boxes. Michaels doesn't have a picture but they look like these. Size is 2 1/4 x 2 1/2 by about 5". total cost under $25.

I made labels for the Ciao in Word. I print on cardstock, punch with 1/4" punch, and attach to the cap with Tombow Mono glue.

Before you ask, my stamp pad racks were made for me by my son using acrylic. The empty markers cases I buy at Marker Supply and pencil cups at IKEA in the coffee cup section (they don't have handles).
Attached Thumbnails
Copic storage-pb-stamp-room-furniture-043.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still on the hunt for the "perfect" storage/tote solution... I have a mix of sketch and originals. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

My neighbor made some Copic cases and I bought two off of her. I have a mix of Ciaos and Sketches. I love this solution:

Sonya's Paper Trail: A bit of a slump....and how I plan to break out of it! (and my new Copic Case)

There is a link in my post to her blog, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

This is a cute and inexpensive idea ... Bobbkat's Hobby Blog: Copic Marker Storage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

WOW Stamphappy1650! Your Desk is a dream come true for me. I actually gasped when I opened up your photo. I think it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! (wink-wink) I have to stack container in the corner of my dining room and use my dining table "to play" and then pack it all away every time a meal comes!

How do your keep all those containers from shifting? Do you adhere then somehow?

Blessings,
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Oh by the way...I started with one the the Artbin Super cases...However...I have outgrown it. If your have or plan on having the entire collection...the release of the latest 12 officially out did me. I no longer have enough squares for all the markers.

In case some one is not particular about storing their markers vertically or horizontally I have seen some ladies use the Iris Case with the hard photo cases in side. There are 16 cases in the larger one and each case hold about 16-20 (not sure) or each case for a different color family. So if your collection is not that large...this might be an affordable option.

Also I have seen ladies use the "Snapware" cases... One section for each color. Since twelve sections snapped together is a bit too tall. Most ladies have it in two sections. Carry one in each hand. Or just stack in a corner nicely.

Hope this helps.
Blessings,
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

My biggest challenge is that I have Copic Ciaos - as they're cheaper than the Sketches. Of course they're perfectly great markers except the ends of them aren't labeled...

Any tips on ciaos?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Cloud Weaver....I have mostly Ciao's too. Our local Copic instructor sent around a document with all the "numbers" on them. They fit inside a 1/4" circle punch. I printed it out twice, then put a small glue dot on each end and that works brilliantly for me. They have stayed put for over a year going in and out of my case, so I'm happy! I'll try to find a link to that document and post it if I can find it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post
Cloud Weaver....I have mostly Ciao's too. Our local Copic instructor sent around a document with all the "numbers" on them. They fit inside a 1/4" circle punch. I printed it out twice, then put a small glue dot on each end and that works brilliantly for me. They have stayed put for over a year going in and out of my case, so I'm happy! I'll try to find a link to that document and post it if I can find it.
That would be brilliant! ^-^
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Let's see if this works...I'm attempting to attach lid labels for Ciao markers. It is "sort of current", meaning it doesn't have the ones that have come out this year.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ciao Lid Numbers with set E.pdf (27.6 KB, 251 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

Got it! Thank you so much! ^-^ I'm off to print them out and stick them on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud_weaverView Post
Got it! Thank you so much! ^-^ I'm off to print them out and stick them on.
No problem....stock up on glue dots!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

This looks like the perfect size! Do you know if she used the Artbin Super Semi Satchel? I think that's what I'm going to make. I don't need the giant box and even if I did, I think I'd rather use two smaller one. That size looks like it will fit my 80 Copics and still give me room to grow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
This looks like the perfect size! Do you know if she used the Artbin Super Semi Satchel? I think that's what I'm going to make. I don't need the giant box and even if I did, I think I'd rather use two smaller one. That size looks like it will fit my 80 Copics and still give me room to grow.
I believe so. I know they are Art Bin, and she had one that was twice as large. I ended up buying two off of her, I'm only using one right now. I wanted one to "grow" and I wanted it to match the first one I got (they are both purple in color).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you Pedal Power for the link, I hope it was alright to print it off to use. I have some but most of mine are sketch's.
I made my bin using the 17L just right and I had 80 extra slots over the art bin. I still have enough room for another 6/7 groups of 12 they may come out with. My bin dosen't have all of the colors but I made it anyways figuring I could put the colors in as I got them (I'm in a club that gets a certain amount a month). She's still selling the sketch's at $4.75, she went up $.50. Still the cheapest around so I can't beat the price. She ships too if you are interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnvalView Post
WOW Stamphappy1650! Your Desk is a dream come true for me. I actually gasped when I opened up your photo. I think it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! (wink-wink) I have to stack container in the corner of my dining room and use my dining table "to play" and then pack it all away every time a meal comes!

How do your keep all those containers from shifting? Do you adhere then somehow?

Blessings,
Valerie
Valerie - so glad you like there are more picture in my gallery in the "redo" album.

Each unit has 3 compartments and once filled they are heavy so no shifting occurs.

I can't imagine how I would stamp if I had to pack everything away each time. I know I'm really lucky to have a great stamp room so I'll think of you the next time I stamp and send you a virtual hug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Marker Storage by XcessStamps - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

This is what my husband helped me build for my Copics. Since I don't travel with mine this is my perfect solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Oh my goodness!
I actually bought that drain spout and had it cut...but hey cut it w/a regular dull say and my edges are all rough and VERY UNEVEN! I don't know how I can get it to work out know. How and what did you use to get your cut SO straight and smooth? An elderly gentleman at Home Depot did it for me and he worked so hard for over 2 hours...I did not have the heart to tell him I was not happy so I just paid for it and left.

Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Jeffnval. This might sound like a lot of work for you but you can sand the rough edges down. Either use a file or a block of wood with sand paper wrapped around it, don't try to use the sponge sanders because they won't work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought the original Cubbies but sadly the people stopped making them. I found this set of directions for making a cubbie out of foam board which is great if you don't want to travel with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've used the enamel bins from A Muse for years. If you don't have too many, you can use one or two of the compartments for them and use the others for scissors, other markers, tools, etc.

I actually use two bins - one for my Copics and one for all of my other pens, pencils, scissors, etc.

And they look nice, too ;) .
Attached Thumbnails
Copic storage-copic-bin.png  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnvalView Post
Oh my goodness!
I actually bought that drain spout and had it cut...but hey cut it w/a regular dull say and my edges are all rough and VERY UNEVEN! I don't know how I can get it to work out know. How and what did you use to get your cut SO straight and smooth? An elderly gentleman at Home Depot did it for me and he worked so hard for over 2 hours...I did not have the heart to tell him I was not happy so I just paid for it and left.

Valerie
Oh Valerie, I'm so sorry that your pieces turned out so rough. :(
My husband used a Hacksaw (it has a very fine blade) to cut my pieces and I did sand them with fine sandpaper - but very little sanding was needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

helps if I include the link huh...

Cubbies out of foam board..
Syzygy of Me: Foam Board Copic Storage
Reply With Quote Likes