Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cameo and dies

Okay ---have figured out how to do the diecuts and also the Print and Cut. But am confused -----the diecuts they show in color ----but if you cut them out on colored cardstock --they are going to be one color. If they are not a print and cut ---then do you have to cut on several cardstock colors and piece them together to get them to look like that? Not sure if my brain is not working --but do not get that?? Any help is deeply appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

I have the original Silhouette but I would assume that the die cuts would work in a similar way. Yes, you have to cut them out of different colored cardstock and assemble it if you want all the different colors. I think you can ungroup and delete the part of the image that you don't want to cut in that color to save you some paper and cutting if you want to. You can on mine, so I would assume you could on the Cameo as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I wondered the same thing. I've had my machine for 2 weeks. I was starting to get the hang of it somewhat but have not had time to play with it lately. I see some of the things the machine can do but I am still in the learning process. Print and cut is next on my list of things to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

So, KatyLynn, do you drag the part off the original part? Need to try that today! Crappy out today so may just be a play day!! Print and cut is great ---now that I got the hang of it! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have played around with mine and you can ungroup them. Then drag the ones you don't need off the mat or delete them. This is what I figured out so far!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I have been wanting to get back down and play today but did not get there. So if you delete them are they deleted forever or just for that one project?? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridiculously ObsessedView Post
I have been wanting to get back down and play today but did not get there. So if you delete them are they deleted forever or just for that one project?? Thanks!!
When you go to close a page it should ask if you want to change any changes you mad to the original document (just like changes in a MS Word document). Just click "no" and you should be fine.

I never delete anything.... I ungroup the shapes, highlight the one I want, then copy and paste the shape I want onto a new page the cut the pages out. If you need to resize any shapes be sure you do it on the original page before you do this. I also save the separate shape pages if they are something I plan on using a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Those are great ideas, ladies, Thank you!! I did not some playing around with moving things today but did not save any of it. If you do that---copy and paste ---and save ---where do you save it to? Everytime I go and try to save something it seems to want to save it somewhere else in the computer and no in the Silhoutte site. Thanks in advance for the help ---and also for the good ideas. Love the idea of printing the pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

When I make a page I want to use again I save it to my applications folder (I have a Mac) I would assume you could save it anywhere you wanted to on your computer. Wherever you find it best for you. I always try to name them something simple so I can recognize them I could be wrong because I am a computer and software novice but I don't think you can actually save it in the silhouette software/site? Someone with way more knowledge than me could verify that for you I shall leave all of this to the "pros" since I am not one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Those are great ideas, ladies, Thank you!! I did not some playing around with moving things today but did not save any of it. If you do that---copy and paste ---and save ---where do you save it to? Everytime I go and try to save something it seems to want to save it somewhere else in the computer and no in the Silhoutte site. Thanks in advance for the help ---and also for the good ideas. Love the idea of printing the pages.
I just make a new folder on my desktop and save the files there... I put the pages for each shape in a sub folder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Thanks! But then when you go to use them again...do you cut them in another program or do you use the Cameo program. Guess, that is what is confusing me. How I access them again to cut. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Open the silhouette software.

Select the shapre from your library

Once you alter the shapes to what you are wanting to cut, if you save the file and give it a unique name you'll be able to use it again by clicking on file and open in the silhouette software.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

So, KatyLynn, do you drag the part off the original part? Need to try that today! Crappy out today so may just be a play day!! Print and cut is great ---now that I got the hang of it! Thanks!!
I love the print and cut feature as well! Glad you are enjoying it and figuring it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Thanks! But then when you go to use them again...do you cut them in another program or do you use the Cameo program. Guess, that is what is confusing me. How I access them again to cut. Thanks!
I just open the folder I created on my desktop, double click on the file I want to cut, and it opens the file in the Silhouette program.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the silhouette SD. I just ungroup the image "release" cut and past the ones I want in a different color on a new page, move shapes around to avoid wasting paper and go from there .... as for saving you can also save your work in you library under my designs ( or something )

Also if you go onto the silhouette blog there are great ways to learn different techniques with the silhouette I found this very useful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Thanks! That helped alot! I saved them to my desktop and put in a folder ---but not until I printed one last night ---and no matter what I did could not duplicate the size!! Learned the hard way!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

So glad I am reading this. I didn't realize you could remove some of the "group". I've been playing all day with my cameo. Finally gotten the hang of it! I was pretty frustrated with it when I first got it. This is my first time paper crafting so I am very confused! Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Default Cameo; Cricut SCAL 2

Hi Ladies,

I have a question. I'm fairly new to the Cameo and I'm loving it! I understand that the Cameo doesn't cut chipboard so what if there's a Silhouette store shape that I really want to cut on Chipboard can I sent the shape to be cut on my Expression? Can I send any of my Silhouette shapes to my SCAL? I hope someone understands what I'm saying. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Default Cameo; Cricut SCAL 2

Hi Ladies,

I have a question. I'm fairly new to the Cameo and I'm loving it! I understand that the Cameo doesn't cut chipboard so what if there's a Silhouette store shape that I really want to cut on Chipboard can I sent the shape to be cut on my Expression? Can I send any of my Silhouette shapes to my SCAL? I hope someone understands what I'm saying. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

bmp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Don't forget that you don't have to drag things off of the shape... once ungrouped there's an option to select a shape and set it to not cut (it's one of those symbols along the top of the toolbar, it allows you to select what type of cut... I'm not at the right computer, but I think it's called "Cut Style".)

Hope this saves a lot of unnecessary clicking and dragging. So if there are two shapes you need to cut one at a time, select one, set it to not cut, and the cut the other. Then switch papers and do the opposite.

Hope this helps!
-Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

I'm fairly new to the Cameo and I'm loving it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Oh love that, Heatherbee! Did not know that! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherbeeView Post
Don't forget that you don't have to drag things off of the shape... once ungrouped there's an option to select a shape and set it to not cut (it's one of those symbols along the top of the toolbar, it allows you to select what type of cut... I'm not at the right computer, but I think it's called "Cut Style".)

Hope this saves a lot of unnecessary clicking and dragging. So if there are two shapes you need to cut one at a time, select one, set it to not cut, and the cut the other. Then switch papers and do the opposite.

Hope this helps!
-Heather
Thanks Heather for all these tidbits as well.....can't wait to get my new toy....already downloaded over 100 designs....pathetic isn't it? haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORMOUTHView Post
Thanks Heather for all these tidbits as well.....can't wait to get my new toy....already downloaded over 100 designs....pathetic isn't it? haha
Hi "Motormouth"...OMG it sounds awful to be calling you that, but I don't know what else to call you...!LOL

I have had my Cameo since around the 9th of December and I LOVE it! I also own a CraftRobo (since 2007) and a Pazzles Inspiration (since 200. The Cameo...........which I named "Sophie" is by far my favorite!!!! I just wanted to invite you to visit my blog where I have posted a number of my projects that have been made using my Cameo and just today I started sharing FREE files, my first one is a "Tulip Frame"...so please stop by for a visit!

Let me know if I can be of help to you!

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 04:13 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by love2bugView Post
Hi Ladies,

Yes, you can. I have been buying images at the Silhouette store for my other cutters since the store came out a few years ago. I do own a Cameo. Before that I owned a Silhouette SD. I also need to cut heavier materials quite often.

You will need to save the file as a PDF. I use doPDF (freeware) but another popular alternative is CutePDF.

You will want to ungroup all the pieces, lay them on your mat, then Print. When the printer box comes up, choose doPdf or CutePdf, print, save to where you want. Now you have a Pdf of that file.

A couple of notes.

I make my cut line black instead of the red.

Choose line style. On the line thickness box make your line 1.00 pt.

The reason to do these two things is when you import the file to Inkscape, Illustrator, SCAL or your other choice cutter software it will trace better.

I can't remember if SCAL 2.0 has a PDF import feature. You can open your file in Inkscape and save as SVG.

Another note Silhouette Studio should save as a Vector PDF. You might not have to trace and be able to open the file as is. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I am sorry it was so long. Any questions don't be afraid to ask. I was trying to keep it short. Oh, most important all of this is legal. Silhouette won't bark at you. You bought the file it's yours to work with.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

What file type is used for the Cameo? I know for Cricut it's SVG, but I'm unsure about the Cameo.

I know I can purchase a software update to convert my current SVG's, but if I want to purchase or download free ones I'm lost.

TIA!
Melanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Silhouette uses there own type of file called "studio" but a "gsd" file will cut as well. I buy a lot from Lettering Delights and they offer most of their cut files in gsd and they work great in the Silhouette.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks Heather!

Also, does anyone know if I can import a PDF file to the Cameo software and cut?

Meaning, if I have a template in PDF format, can I cut it using the Cameo instead of printing and manually cutting?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkieMomaView Post
Hi "Motormouth"...OMG it sounds awful to be calling you that, but I don't know what else to call you...!LOL

I have had my Cameo since around the 9th of December and I LOVE it! I also own a CraftRobo (since 2007) and a Pazzles Inspiration (since 200. The Cameo...........which I named "Sophie" is by far my favorite!!!! I just wanted to invite you to visit my blog where I have posted a number of my projects that have been made using my Cameo and just today I started sharing FREE files, my first one is a "Tulip Frame"...so please stop by for a visit!

Let me know if I can be of help to you!

Pam
Hi, it's Joan, aka 'MOTORMOUTH" LOL, YA HAVE TO KNOW ME
yours was actually the first blog I saw about the Cameo, and have been stalking since then! I can hardly wait....will letmyou know when it arrives
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORMOUTHView Post
Hi, it's Joan, aka 'MOTORMOUTH" LOL, YA HAVE TO KNOW ME
yours was actually the first blog I saw about the Cameo, and have been stalking since then! I can hardly wait....will letmyou know when it arrives
Hee Hee...Joan, I guess in reality you could call me "motormouth" too!

Yes, be sure and let me know when it arrives and have you joined any of the Silhouette Groups yet? Silhouette Plus is a good one!

Be sure and go by blog and download the "free" files that I'm posting...I just introduced a new designer and her "freebie" is gorgeous!!!

Hugs, Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymelView Post
What file type is used for the Cameo? I know for Cricut it's SVG, but I'm unsure about the Cameo.

I know I can purchase a software update to convert my current SVG's, but if I want to purchase or download free ones I'm lost.

TIA!
Melanie
Silhouette Studio free version can open DXF, GSD & Studio.

DXF is free. Use Inkscape (freeware) save the file as DXF. Open in Silhouette Studio. You might have to tweak the file, resize before you can cut.

Here's a good tutorial: Michelle's Adventures with Digital Creations: Converting SVG files to Use with Silhouette Studio Software

I always save my files as PNG in Inkscape. Then I convert again in Inkscape. I like to do this so I can fix the nodes in my files. That is a bit of an advanced user technique. The above tutorial is great for all users from new to advanced.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

I went into your page YorkieMoma and absolutely loved it! Thanks for the freebies also! Hope I saved them right --as they are beautiful!!
Reply With Quote Likes