Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inskscape and converting SVG to GSD?

Hi all,

My niece's husband bought her a Silhouette Cameo for Christmas, and I have been trying to help them figure out how to cut SVG files. I've read Inkscape can convert them from SVG to GSD, but after they downloaded Inkscape, "GSD" wasn't a Save AS file format option. Her husband had also read that you convert them from an SVG to a PNG in Inskscape, and after doing so we were able to open the file in the Silhouette software, but though it said it was finished cutting, nothing had actually cut.

I am only familiar with Cricut SVG files, so I was no help. So, can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to convert an SVG file to a GSD file without having to trace it or anything like that, and without having to purchase SCAL or MTC?

Additionally, does anyone recommend a website that explains how to cut the different file formats on the Silhouette? I'm afraid I confused them more than they already were and would like to direct them somewhere that explains these things easily.

Thanks so much,
Reva
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2011, 01:46 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

There is a $50 upgrade for Silhouette Studio to import SVG's.

This post is a little long but I hope lots of info. Converting files can be confusing.

You can cut from Inkscape to the Silhouette. You can bypass all of that confusing converting files. Here's a Inkscape/Silhouette forum: Inkscape Cutting Design • Index page

I do not have a Cameo but I was a long time Silhouette/Wishblade user. I used to cut from Inkscape all the time. I actually preferred it.

You can not convert SVG-GSD. GSD is a proprietary format only licensed by Graphtec. You can convert SVG-DXF. Silhouette Studio can open DXF. Just save your file in DXF format from Inkscape. Go to Silhouette Studio and import/open the DXF file.

There are two important things to remember about this conversion.

First DXF has some problems. Either the conversion goes awry and your missing pieces. The file is huge and needs to be resized. When I say huge I mean by 1000%. There are a few other headaches too. Then sometimes you can get perfect files.

Also when you convert a SVG or any vector image to another format your degrading the quality of that image. Your file will now have extra nodes, less nodes or even missing pieces. A lot of times this will not be noticeable. Once this file starts cutting in your machine it can put extra wear and tear on your machine. This will cause damage in the long run.

Converting SVG to PNG. The reason your DD could not cut from PNG is because the file was converted to an Image file. You need a Vector file. The file has to be traced again.

The best way to convert a file is through a virtual printer like doPDF or CutePDF. Both programs are freeware. You use these programs just like a printer. Instead of printing you will have a PDF file instead. You can open this file in your software. If I remember correctly Silhouette Studio does not have PDF import. They might have added it in a recent update. I don't know for sure.

When you virtual print your PDF file the PDF is saved in the original format. For example you save in a vector program the file will open as a vector. You save as JPEG the file will open in another program as a JPEG. That's why SCAL & MTC both have PDF import for their files. That's why those programs lock up when importing some PDF's because people are trying to import a PDF file that was saved in a Graphic program that handles JPEG's. If you "print" PDF from Inkscape, for example, open PDF in MTC it opens perfectly because both those programs are vector base. I hope that was not confusing.

I know a lot of the things I posted are probably confusing. I hope I explained it a bit better and can help your DD with her new X-mas gift.

Last edited by lylacfey; 12-25-2011 at 01:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Try directing them to this site:
UKScrappers. It has everything she will ever need to know about Silhouettes, files etc. She can join up and read posts/tutorials, ask questions etc, and after a month she can download the cutting files that people post on there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love UKScrappers. They taught me everything I ever wanted to know about Graphtec machines.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. You gals are amazing. Thank you so much for all that information. It was more than I could have anticipated and will be extremely helpful to my niece. Now I've just got to figure out a way to invite myself over to her house to "play," and put all that good information to use.

Thanks again,
Reva
Reply With Quote Likes