Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion

Since the first thread - started in 2004 - reached 5,000 posts, it was time for a new thread. Here we go, everyone!

Let's continue the fun discussion here and share our ideas
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 02:33 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
Since the first thread - started in 2004 - reached 5,000 posts, it was time for a new thread. Here we go, everyone!

subbing...just in case
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 03:56 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Canadian ladies be wary about ordering stuff from the States. I ordered from Specialty Bottle (the nugget tins) and because my order was over $20 (21.00 to be exact) I am being charged a brokerage fee! I did not realize this as I don't order on-line very often. So keep it under $20 and you will be ok! Those nugget tins are turning out to be more expensive every day!

My Facebook page Live Love Stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

I had asked this on the last thread but only had one response so I'm trying again on the new thread

I need ideas on how to attach velcro to the mini portfolios made from file folders (or of another way to keep them closed). The velcro pieces end up detaching when the folder is opened, and I'm not sure which adhesive would be best to make sure they stay down.

The velcro is self-adhesive, but I've also tried Scor Tape (that completely covers the velcro) and hot glue. Both end up not sticking after awhile. Maybe I need to do something like magnetic closures, but I'm afraid that I'll have the same problem with them not staying attached.

Would really appreciate any help because these are really cute, and I have about 15 made but can't sell them if they keep coming undone. Thanks!!

(Also...did you know that you can subscribe to the thread by clicking on "Thread Tools" at the top? That way you don't have to post to subscribe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 04:06 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by am2106View Post
I had asked this on the last thread but only had one response so I'm trying again on the new thread

I need ideas on how to attach velcro to the mini portfolios made from file folders (or of another way to keep them closed). The velcro pieces end up detaching when the folder is opened, and I'm not sure which adhesive would be best to make sure they stay down.

The velcro is self-adhesive, but I've also tried Scor Tape (that completely covers the velcro) and hot glue. Both end up not sticking after awhile. Maybe I need to do something like magnetic closures, but I'm afraid that I'll have the same problem with them not staying attached.

Would really appreciate any help because these are really cute, and I have about 15 made but can't sell them if they keep coming undone. Thanks!!

(Also...did you know that you can subscribe to the thread by clicking on "Thread Tools" at the top? That way you don't have to post to subscribe

I answered your question on the last thread. Did my solution not work? What about sanding the folder a bit where you are going to put the velcro dot? That might help it grab.

My Facebook page Live Love Stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I've never had any issues with my velcro sticking to cardstock. I do splurge a bit on the velcro though. I only use the 3M brand. I did try an off brand from the dollar store once but it did have the issue where it wouldn't really stick. I don't use the dots. I buy the pack that has a bunch of feet in it on a strip and I cut off little squares. Since you don't see it when it's closed anyway it really hasn't been an issue. Also, just another little suggestion, I always put the fuzzy side on the flap and the scratchy part on the cover so that when its opened and someone who is right handed is writing on the notepad their hand isn't getting all scratched up by that velcro piece.

I'm on vacation as of 5pm tomorrow afternoon and I can't wait! It's going to be a stormy, rainy weekend so I plan on bunkering down and tackling my craft sale item list. I've made a list of items I'd like to make and desired quantities so I'm hoping to make a huge dent in that list! Assembly line ahoy! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Re-posting this question on the new thread:

I think these B&B hand sanitizer holders are toooo cute! (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ccY8AiJs4r...0/IMG_2904.JPG) Mine would not be stamped and then hand cut - I have the Mini Monsters Cricut cart and would use that to save time. If the hand sanitizer itself costs $1 or $1.50 (depending on if it is on sale) how much would you charge?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

One other thing that you might try is to cut off some of the fabric off on the fuzzy/non-looped side. That way there isn't as much for the velcro piece to try to grab and it will make your project stay closed but not pull off.

Hope that makes sense?
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Subbing for the future. I really need to stop writing down these ideas and start making things. My biggest show is Mid-October.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Looking for cute Monster papers and stamps. Where can I get them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Starbucks Via Coffee

Ok, I never got a response to my previous post so trying again

I need a suggestion from you ladies - I've seen people here mention that they package the cocoa mix sachets and sell them; but I've never seen anybody mention coffee sachets. I was thinking that it would be nice to package Starbucks Via coffee sachets and sell them just like cocoa with some poem, etc. Especially because I've seen more people who're coffee lovers than cocoa lovers. But I wasn't sure if it was a no-no because of it's caffeine or something else. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I am also interested in hearing about this. I have sold teas, but not coffees yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Default Enablers Alert: Staples post it notes

Hi, I was at Staples yesterday and this week in my area (western WA) Staples brand 3x3 post its 12 pack are only $1!!! You save over $10 per pack and at both the stores I went to, there were no limits! So between the 2 stores I bought 18 packs for my upcoming shows If you make the post it notepads, you know this is the best deal and can greatly increase your profit.

Carla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I think the problem here is that.

1) tea was meant to be steeped - whether that is loose (in a teaball) or in tea bag, it does not matter. The taste does not change.
2) Coco Mix is the standard for making coco now-a-days. Since no one melts chocolate, adds sugar & cream and stirs for the next 1/2 hour - people don't mind buying instant coco
3) Coffee on the other hand tastes very different when it is brewed, as compared to instant.

I'm just not sure if real coffee drinkers are willing to spend the money on instant coffee. That said, if you package something cute enough - people will buy almost anything. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't know about the coffee thing either - I don't drink it. but if they sell packets that make a full pot, then maybe doing up something with that could work. Target in their dollar spot usually has various coffees, not instant, and I buy those for my sisters once in a while. But I don't do anything cute with them, I throw them in with gifts. Maybe even jars done up so people could buy and put their coffee in - our dollar store had a bunch for, um well a $1!, so I'm going to get some and try to do something fun with them.

and those post its at Staples was a super good deal. We don't have one where I live but I sent my daughter to their Staples and she got me a few packs. She was freaking out at the checkout though, because it was either going to be $4 or $50 and she was hoping that the sign and I were right, that they were $1 each. Crazy deal on them.

Stampdoc (a SU demo) has a website and she is giving out craft fair advice/ideas. I subscribe to her blog but you should be able to find it by just googling Stampdoc. I believe this is the link (if it will work for me by posting it here) The Stamp Doc

My new SU stuff came in the mail today! Yahoo! I'm going to be playing with that new owl punch and doing up some of those little post it key chains that Becky Roberts (Inkin' Idaho) had on her blog a while back. Super cute. And using some on my brand new giant paper clips that I got (thanks Stacey!)

Off to WalMart to look for the black sheet. Hope I can find one. And just sent in my two payments for sales - forgot to do it! Wouldn't that be funny if I actually had projects done and didn't get the payments in for the sale! Ha ha, not really.

MY GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsrussView Post
I've never had any issues with my velcro sticking to cardstock. I do splurge a bit on the velcro though. I only use the 3M brand. I did try an off brand from the dollar store once but it did have the issue where it wouldn't really stick. I don't use the dots. I buy the pack that has a bunch of feet in it on a strip and I cut off little squares. Since you don't see it when it's closed anyway it really hasn't been an issue. Also, just another little suggestion, I always put the fuzzy side on the flap and the scratchy part on the cover so that when its opened and someone who is right handed is writing on the notepad their hand isn't getting all scratched up by that velcro piece.

I'm on vacation as of 5pm tomorrow afternoon and I can't wait! It's going to be a stormy, rainy weekend so I plan on bunkering down and tackling my craft sale item list. I've made a list of items I'd like to make and desired quantities so I'm hoping to make a huge dent in that list! Assembly line ahoy! lol
I agree with the above advice about using velcro for closing paper items. Also, be sure you do not have the "super strength" industrial type velcro. I accidentally got a package of that kind and found that it stuck together so firmly that it pulled the velcro right off the card when you tried to open it. It was made for uses like holding the remote to the side of the TV and was waaaay overkill for holding paper together.

I bought the name brand self-stick regular velcro at Walmart in strips and then cut squares about 1" x 1". Then I cut these into 4 pieces. You really only need a tiny bit to hold something together.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

subbing for now...I love this thread!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Quote:

I actually emailed Beate the same question, but for a different project. She told me about the magnetic snaps. I haven't ordered some yet, but they look like they would do the trick. Here's the website:

Magnetic Snaps Small
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fletch95View Post
I actually emailed Beate the same question, but for a different project. She told me about the magnetic snaps. I haven't ordered some yet, but they look like they would do the trick. Here's the website:

Magnetic Snaps Small
I checked those out last year. They look great, but are too pricey for me at $5.49 plus shipping for only 10 sets.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I'm subbing too just in case, it doesn't carry over from the other one, so many good ideas on here!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I figure most people who buy the cocoa or coffee packets are buying them for gifts. I think the cocoa would go over better in the colder months. (Although I personally LOVE coffee and would be delighted if someone were to give me a cute packet!) However, I think most people associate winter with hot cocoa and they seem to sell well close to Christmas. Here is one I made:
Hot Chocolate Packet by delightfuldaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Inside:
Inside hot chocolate packet by delightfuldaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by delightfuldaisyView Post
I figure most people who buy the cocoa or coffee packets are buying them for gifts. I think the cocoa would go over better in the colder months. (Although I personally LOVE coffee and would be delighted if someone were to give me a cute packet!) However, I think most people associate winter with hot cocoa and they seem to sell well close to Christmas. Here is one I made:
Hot Chocolate Packet by delightfuldaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Inside:
Inside hot chocolate packet by delightfuldaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Your idea is very cute. I might try something like that....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Your coco holder is cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I heard a great idea from someone to put a dish of sweets on the table.
The children come for a sweet and the Adults looked to buy.
Yes it worked, sold twice as much as before, as the Adults felt guilty of the free sweets and bought something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Can any one direct me to where I may find cheap easals? The dollar tree just told me that they will no longer be carrying them...please help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Gently sanding the area first to erase the plastic coating might help. To give you some rough fibers for the glue to adhere to. (sorry if someone else suggested this, i don't have time to read all the posts so i might be repeating someone).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
Ok, I never got a response to my previous post so trying again

I need a suggestion from you ladies - I've seen people here mention that they package the cocoa mix sachets and sell them; but I've never seen anybody mention coffee sachets. I was thinking that it would be nice to package Starbucks Via coffee sachets and sell them just like cocoa with some poem, etc. Especially because I've seen more people who're coffee lovers than cocoa lovers. But I wasn't sure if it was a no-no because of it's caffeine or something else. Any opinions?
Cocoa, tea, or coffee sound great to me. All you can do is try and if no one buys them, use them for family stocking stuffers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krafty*KateView Post
Re-posting this question on the new thread:

I think these B&B hand sanitizer holders are toooo cute! (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ccY8AiJs4r...0/IMG_2904.JPG) Mine would not be stamped and then hand cut - I have the Mini Monsters Cricut cart and would use that to save time. If the hand sanitizer itself costs $1 or $1.50 (depending on if it is on sale) how much would you charge?
I would think around $3 or so, for the market here in Phoenix. But our market is a little slower than other places so you might be able to charge more where you are. I'd start them out at $3.50 and see if they sell, if not, drop the price to $3.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #30  
Inking Addict

Thanks so much, everyone! Sandra, I did get your response (thanks twice!); but after reading through the answers here, I think that I might have the industrial strength. I didn't think about that before, but the stuff I have is REALLY strong. Too strong. I'm going to buy some of the lesser strength kind tomorrow - that hadn't even dawned on me. Thanks again, everyone!

As for the coffee packets, I am going to make some of these as well as cocoa - maybe even some together and they can be mocha. I think they'd make really cute, practical stocking stuffers; and I'll probably charge $3.00 or 2/$5 for them. We'll see how they go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by grammieTView Post
Can any one direct me to where I may find cheap easals? The dollar tree just told me that they will no longer be carrying them...please help.
What do you use them for? They had some at my Dollar Tree and I thought I might "need" them for something, but passed since I didn't have an immediate use for them.

BTW, my Dollar Tree also had some 5-pack mini gel pens in that I hadn't seen before. They are an assorted pack of bright colors - purple, yellow, aqua, pink and lime green - in a zipper bag. Sorry I don't have a pic - my computer is being wonky with my SD card. Just opened one of the bags - won't be able to use the yellow one w/ post-it note holders as the ink is also yellow...They're cute, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Maybe you should add "Round #2" to the title so we can keep track of the threads. I know there was a lot of information in the old thread for people just finding us...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by grammieTView Post
I look for easels year-round at thrift stores, yard sales, or Goodwill. If Dollar Tree is no longer carrying them, you could check other discount stores such as Big Lots, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Fred's (may be a regional store), or buy them with a coupon at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I would think around $3 or so, for the market here in Phoenix. But our market is a little slower than other places so you might be able to charge more where you are. I'd start them out at $3.50 and see if they sell, if not, drop the price to $3.
Hi Nikki, thanks for the response! I was thinking about $3.00 or $3.50 too, so at least I am on track - I always struggling with pricing. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #35  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krafty*KateView Post
Hi Nikki, thanks for the response! I was thinking about $3.00 or $3.50 too, so at least I am on track - I always struggling with pricing. Thanks again!
Kate - I think I'd try $3.50 or maybe $3.50 or 2/$6. They'd make really cute stocking stuffers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

How close to th edge are you putting the velcro dot and how big are the dots? I'm using the 5/8" dots and have not had any problems with them pulling off. Is the adhesive super sticky when you first put it on? If not, I'm wondering if it's old and has lost some of it's stickiness. The back of my package does have a warning about direct sunlight and high heat. I also put my dots about 3/4" in from the edge of the flap. I attach both pieces together on the flap and then press the flap closed so that they match up better. Does that make sense?
I would personally buy a new package of velcro dots before buying the magnetic closure due to the cost factor. just my opinion. HTH

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAstamperView Post
Maybe you should add "Round #2" to the title so we can keep track of the threads. I know there was a lot of information in the old thread for people just finding us...
Sorry - I wish I had! I can't edit the thread title
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #38  
Embossing Fanatic

Is there a template or instructions for the hand sanitizer holders? Those are so cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Subbing to this one, too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by dderbiniView Post
Is there a template or instructions for the hand sanitizer holders? Those are so cute.
Here you go: Pink Buckaroo Designs: Halloween Soap Holder Tutorial
Reply With Quote Likes