Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cricut need your opinion

Hello ladies,

I'm really out of the loop with the cricut so i need some help. I have the original cricut for a few years with a bunch of carts. I really want to be able to do more with the vinyl lettering. I really want to be able to do the sayings that you can put on a wall with the different fonts. I have a friend that got SCAL and uses that with fonts from the internet. I know that SCAL is no longer available for the cricut. Is there anything else out there on the market that will let me weld letters together and download svg files from the internet? I've really been thinking about getting an expression (just the original expression since everyone is trying toget rid of theirs) soi can do the 12X12 but really want to be able to do the welding. Any ideas?

thanks,
Robin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Lightbulb Cricut welding letters

I'm pretty new at this ... but doesn't Design Studio allow us to weld letters together???

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinView Post
Hello ladies,

I'm really out of the loop with the cricut so i need some help. I have the original cricut for a few years with a bunch of carts. I really want to be able to do more with the vinyl lettering. I really want to be able to do the sayings that you can put on a wall with the different fonts. I have a friend that got SCAL and uses that with fonts from the internet. I know that SCAL is no longer available for the cricut. Is there anything else out there on the market that will let me weld letters together and download svg files from the internet? I've really been thinking about getting an expression (just the original expression since everyone is trying toget rid of theirs) soi can do the 12X12 but really want to be able to do the welding. Any ideas?

thanks,
Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

There are lots of other machines that are non-Cricut that will work with SCAL/SVG files and MTC files. Here's a good link to start your research. When my Cricut dies, I'll be switching over to something different, anything non-Provocraft!

Die Cutting Machines Review 2012 | Best Personal Die Cutters | Compare Electronic Cutter and Digital Cutting Tools - TopTenREVIEWS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think you'll be able to use SVG files with the Cricut since you can't use SCAL or MTC. Not sure how much you plan on spending for the expression...but I'd look into purchasing a different cutter. They may be within the same price range (new and used) and with a lot more options (i.e., SVG, AI, embossing)

Paperthreads has a comparison chart
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I have a cricut and SCAL. I am thakful that I puchased the CD of the SCAL so I have it in the future if I need it.

If I had to do it all over again, I would not buy a cricut. I would save my money and purchase a machine that the company is outwardly willing to let you use any design from any place/creator.

I just see in the long run that my cricut is going to be more and more limited to what I can do with it. I have heard (could be incorrect) that new cartridges will have software that wont allow you to use SCAL once you have used the new cartridge. This could be totally bogus....but I feel now that I will never know, so I wont risk buying and putting a new cartridge in my machine. Seems like the company is pretty dead set to do what ever they have to, to make sure no other files can be used with their machine.

Thanks for the great links to the comparisons!! Can't wait to check them out and learn more about the other machines out on the market!

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to Cricut.com website. There is the new Cricut craftroom software you can download for free. You can weld letters using this free software. It is pretty cool. I believe the cricut craftroom software is available for most Cricuts--but I am not sure about the first little Cricut.
I have the Cricut Imagine and I have been able to weld letters using the Cricut Craftroom. I am a novice however, and have not had time available to investigate it further. What I tried with my Cricut was very simple, and I needed to edit it a little more. I was excited about the possibilites. If your Cricut came with it's own computer usb cord, you will need to sync your Cricut first, then try the Cricut Craftroom. More talk of Cricut craftroom software in the Tools and Product Talk thread.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2011, 04:55 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvaCView Post
I have a cricut and SCAL. I am thakful that I puchased the CD of the SCAL so I have it in the future if I need it.

If I had to do it all over again, I would not buy a cricut. I would save my money and purchase a machine that the company is outwardly willing to let you use any design from any place/creator.
You expressed my thoughts perfectly. Lawsuits and lack of SVG usage on the Cricut aside, it is/was a reasonably priced machine, a good "starter" machine. Mine certainly does not do as intricate and nice cuts as the samples I see from others using other machines. For example, mine does not cut a perfect circle and that is a common complaint about the Cricut from what I've read. It is still a good entry level machine if you're just using cartridges and don't care about the ability to import SVG or other file types.

Best advice is to research it to death and decide what will work for you within your budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2011, 05:45 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

It's early :-) The line in my previous post "Best advice is to research it to death and decide what will work for you within your budget." was directed at the originator of the thread, not EvaC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

thansk for all your advice. I think i want a cameo! lol...

I'm going to try out the cricut craftroom first and see if that does what i want to do.

thanks again!
Robin
Reply With Quote Likes