Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you a messy or neat

Crafter that is LOL. I was blog lurking tonight and saw an older post of the bloggers craft room..then she challenged her readers to post theirs. A lot did and wow..those were some busy women!!! This made me wonder if every ones craft studio/room/corner.....etc...Looks like someone has picked it up and shaken it. I tend to be a painfully organized individual (I think from having all these small people in my house? I am a very detailed oriented person as well (that comes from that art degree HOWEVER...as soon and the rubber hits the ink, it is all over. I do have to admit to stopping what I am doing once in a while and cleaning and reorganizing so I can work because I get so flustered I can't do anything. When I ahve to look for my knife or glue more than 4 times.( OR if I spill the embossing powder. I alwyas seem to get it everywhere...IDK how or why...But once I open it...it is like using flour...it is everywhere...it is time to clean of the work space. Oh and I always clean up my studio when I am finished for the day. I don�t necessarily put my ink and stamps away if I am going to use them the next day...but as far as for straightening the desk and sweeping...Those are MUSTS for me.

Anyway...What kind of crafter are you
?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you! I am OCD and everything is in it's place all the time! I could not function in a room full of chaos! LOL

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #3  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

messy, but then I have to straighten it all up in order to be productive. I can't keep it neat no matter what I do. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Messy but I like a clean space to start. A messy start sucks all creativity out of me but my creativity makes a mess, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #5  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Messy, definitely. If I'm doing several projects, by the time I get to the last one, I have about a 6" x 6" area of clean space in which to work!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Messy, very messy! I often lose the things I'm using on my project and then spend about 10 minutes looking for it. This is not a great system for me as you can tell lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to say (sorry girls) I am a tidy, neat, precise crafter. I keep all my supplies in a spare room in bookshelves and in various containers. I bring out what I need when I make cards, and set up on a round game-type table in my living room. Everything goes right back in the spare room when I'm done with my project.

I also keep my work area pretty tidy and organized as I am making my cards, since I have limited space on my table. When I'm through stamping my images, I clean the stamp and put it back on its sheet or in its container. I generally do multiples when I make cards, so I have nice little stacks and piles of all the elements of the card design I'm working on, ready to assemble.

I haven't always been an organized person, but being married over 40 years, raising 5 kids and having 17 grandkids makes you realize life goes so much more smoothly when you have some organization going.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to have my space clear and tidy to start. But once I start, it all hits the fan! It looks like a tornado has blown through my craft room after I finish a project. I don't always clean up after I'm done, but I definitely have to clean it up before I can start another project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm working on neat. I'm trying to find the right storage so I can find everything. Things that have a home go back to them however, some of my things are still waiting for a home - wish it was as easy as that sounds!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very, very messy! I have a small space to work in a room that is office, craft room, storage room. And I have piles of stuff on my craft table that spills over to my desk. My son always makes silly remarks like, "Don't get lost in there or I'll have to send Indiana Jones in to find you."

BTW ... my son is a neatnik. I have NO clue where he got that from!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Oh my goodness, I'm overly nea much to the detriment of my productivity! Sometimes I find myself cleaning my stamps, putting them away then realizing I still need to use them. My scraps from the current project get out sorted and put away immediatley but then I have to pull them out again for a punch or tiny mat. I've tried so many times to "let it go" but it causes way too much anxiety for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Can look like a tornado went through while I am making cards, however, I always put everything away at night so I have a clean slate to mess up the next day..then repeat.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I am an organized messy scrapper, but as soon as I am done with my project I ALWAYS clean up immediately! A messy space is irritating, confusing and uninspiring to me. Plus I only have an 18x24 inch space to scrap at, so it can get overwhelming very quickly.

I look at some of the places I have been to and seen, and when I see all of the mess I get hinky, but I LOOOVE a nice and organized space!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am a mess paper crafter. By the time I get done it looks like a storm hit. I have to clean up and maintain all my tools after I am done crafting. I am a zealot about that. I am a neatnick by nature.

When I do needlework I am so finicky and neat. Nothing gets near my needlework. It is completely the opposite of my paper crafting.

I have Dr. Jeckyll/Mr Hyde craftig syndrome.

Bugga- I am the same too. I have all my crafting supplies in a spare room. I go to my crafting room and shop. Bring out all my supplies to the living room and put it all back when I am done. Everything in my room is stored in beautiful designer boxes stored on shelves and organized by themes.

My work area is immaculate. I do keep my most used tools out at my work area. Everything is in decorator boxes and neat.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Messy - right now my work desk looks like a tornado hit it and I'm finishing my Thanksgiving cards in a space about a foot wide since the rest of my 6 ft desk is covered with paper, stamps, ribbon, etc. that needs to be put away. I'm going to make a New Year's Resolution to try and become a neat paper crafter. [husband is rolling his eyes at this!]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Messy desk, tidy-ish room. I tidy the desk every day, but there are always piles of paper at the sides. I try each night to put all my tools, brushes, knives, stamps and ink pads away. But my Wizard is on the floor and the dies tend to spread themselves around .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 03:28 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Fairly neat but not OCD.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 04:15 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Messy, very messy. I'd like to be a neat crafter but my crafting and my other endeavors tend to look the same (stuff everywhere) so I think messy is in my nature. I do put things away when I'm done, but while working on something, my stuff is EVERYWHERE! I don't have a dedicated space for crafting, so my things are already stored in numerous places, maybe that's the problem. I envy the neat, organized crafting spaces I see. That's a goal I have and I have ideas organized for my future space, but in the mean time, my stuff is a mess and my while-I'm-working style is a mess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 04:26 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't do anything neatly, just ask my husband. Gardening, needle art, paper crafting, it's all the same. I'm a piler, not a filer. I may have a system to my piles, but I'm still a piler, none the less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm a neat freak, so I stay up and put everything away after crafting even if it's 2 a.m! I don't, however, care if I make a mess WHILE I'm stamping/scrapping. I know where everything is and that's the key

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm so thankful to have a stamping room at last (at least it is an area in our unfinished basement that is set up as a room!) I worked hard to develop a good storage system. Now my desk does get VERY MESSY as I work...a lot of us showed pictures of what our rooms looked like after doing the many challenges in October for the Hope You Can Cling To card drive and I wasn't the only one! The joy for me is knowing that I have a place to put it all....even if it hasn't gotten there right away! I home school and have other activities outside the house so I have to squeeze stamping in in the middle of other stuff so I run down, make a card "quickly" and run back up to make sure the kids are still on track or to run out the door to a sports activity etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
a lot of us showed pictures of what our rooms looked like after doing the many challenges in October for the Hope You Can Cling To card drive
This challenge, which I completed during a 1-week period, is a big part of my mess ... partly because I had to stack the already messy stuff to make room to work. :-0

But it was so worth it! I'm already looking to take part again next year. It give me (mother of two adult sons, no grands) an excuse to buy PINK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am messy and I end up moving from surface to surface. My hubby is always commenting that is can find a horizontal surface anywhere to put more of my crap on. LOL.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian StamperView Post
I'm a neat freak, so I stay up and put everything away after crafting even if it's 2 a.m! I don't, however, care if I make a mess WHILE I'm stamping/scrapping. I know where everything is and that's the key
Oh how I wish I was more like you!
My mother is "A Place for Everything, and Everything in it's Place" type of person. So is my 24-year-old son.

Me, I'm an "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" person, which *might* be fine if I had plenty of room and a way to store and label lesser-used items neatly. I tend to leave out "stuff" as a reminder to work on it ... bills, clothes that need mending, unfinished craft projects, to-do lists, etc. I HATE IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #25  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I like to be a neat stamper and clean up as I go along otherwise I can't find anything. Plus I have my scrapbox that I like to close up once I am finished and that sort of forces me to be a neater stamper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I'm a neat freak when it comes to my space. You're not alone, I also have to stop and tidy up in the middle of projects. The Whats on Your Workspace Wednesday posts where there is only 5 inches of space left to craft make me feel claustrophobic, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

I'm messy but want to be neat. I don't put everything away right away but do try to get it all put away within 24-48 hours of finishing. The problem is, I don't know where to put it all. I'm trying to get rid of some of the extras and streamline what I use so it's not so overwhelming. I've gotten better as I've done this longer by not feeling the need to have everything but actually just getting and using the things I know I love.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
I like to be a neat stamper and clean up as I go along otherwise I can't find anything. Plus I have my scrapbox that I like to close up once I am finished and that sort of forces me to be a neater stamper.
Patty, I remember when you were the Scrapbox winner! We were all so happy for you!

This thread inspired me to clean my craft studio today. I went through piles, did a little filing, and got it all neat again. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it was, and it just took a few minutes.

Maybe I should get my camera and take some photos for posterity!

Thanks, everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

Messy, very messy! I think my mother really tried, but I must have revolted. Anyone want to volunteer to come and get me organized
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #30  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
Crafter that is LOL. I was blog lurking tonight and saw an older post of the bloggers craft room..then she challenged her readers to post theirs. A lot did and wow..those were some busy women!!! This made me wonder if every ones craft studio/room/corner.....etc...Looks like someone has picked it up and shaken it. I tend to be a painfully organized individual (I think from having all these small people in my house? I am a very detailed oriented person as well (that comes from that art degree HOWEVER...as soon and the rubber hits the ink, it is all over. I do have to admit to stopping what I am doing once in a while and cleaning and reorganizing so I can work because I get so flustered I can't do anything. When I ahve to look for my knife or glue more than 4 times.( OR if I spill the embossing powder. I alwyas seem to get it everywhere...IDK how or why...But once I open it...it is like using flour...it is everywhere...it is time to clean of the work space. Oh and I always clean up my studio when I am finished for the day. I don’t necessarily put my ink and stamps away if I am going to use them the next day...but as far as for straightening the desk and sweeping...Those are MUSTS for me.

Anyway...What kind of crafter are you
?
OMG Not only are we both from small towns in SC, but I think we may be twins! lol You just described my crafting style right down to a T. Except I no longer have any small people in the house. {Mine went to Clemson (comp. science) and got a job in Denver last month.} I have a few OCD tendencies when it comes to staying organized. Otherwise, I'd never find anything! I can sure make a mess while in the middle of a project though. I kind of get into the zone.

Last edited by sc magnolia; 12-05-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

HA! I cracked up when I read "Looks like someone has picked it up and shaken it.". My craft room definitely looks like someone picked it up and gave it a big ol shake, lol! I am MESSY! I do like a clean space, though. It just doesn't last very long when I have one.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 04:42 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I tend to be messy, but try VERY HARD to clean at least my desk top off after each crafting session. My husband uses my desk when he works from home a few days each week, but mostly I do it because I enjoy starting from clean so much more.

Right now the floor and stuff is a mess. I need to clean all my other craft stuff, there are remnants of various sewing projects, stacks of random craft supplies I should likely throw away and other junk on the floor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #33  
Glitter Queen

i'm messy but trying hard to be clean.. I don't know but no matter how I tried I always ended up being messy. even if I cleaned up I'll just get frustrated cause after a while it's back to its old messy look again..how I wish I'm like those people who are always neat and organize..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

I wish I had taken a picture of my desk yesterday! HAHAHA...I had to make tags for a friend for some homemade wine she made for Christmas gifts..and I had about 4 ideas going, and yk, I HAD to work them all to a certain point to see if they worked...This place looked like..well like I said before it had been picked up and shaken. When I finally decided on what I actually wanted to do, then I cleaned everythign up and started fresh. Sounds insane I know but I must work in a cleanish environment. I get too distracted and overwhelemd. I marvel at the women that can create in chaos LOL..I can't.

SC Magnolia..yes, I do beleive we are twins..we could so craft together. Wonder how far apart we are??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

My crafting area starts out neat and ends up neat, but what happens during is anyone's guess. I'm amazed at how big of a mess can happen quickly with just one card!! It looks like my desk blew everything out onto my table in one quick motion! My DH will just come in and stand there looking at the mess, shake his head and laugh. He calls it my crap room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #36  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I have to have my space clear and tidy to start. But once I start, it all hits the fan! It looks like a tornado has blown through my craft room after I finish a project. I don't always clean up after I'm done, but I definitely have to clean it up before I can start another project.
Ditto what she said :p

Except that tornado blows through my dining room since I craft at my dining room table. DH never says a word - bless his heart!

I have a tendency to have several projects going on at the same time. I work on one, then move to another while ink/stickles/glue dries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely neat but not obsessive. I like to be organized..otherwise I would never be able to find all the items I need to create. My tools are in little caddies and tins within arms reach so putting it back after I use it is easy....maybe that is obsessive? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

I am neatly messy lol. I have organized piles of stuff everywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #39  
Inking Addict

I have to start with a neat and clean room, by the time I have completed my project that I am woking on my room is a mess. Sometimes you have to enter at your own risk.
Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

I'm a very clean crafter. I NEED a clean area to work in. When I'm done creating my "scene" with my stamps everything goes back in the package and is put away before I start to colour. I might have the paper I'm going to use out, to get examples of the colours I want to use, but mostly I have my desk clear. When I'm done I clean up as well. The only time my desk is left in a mess is when I'm in the middle of a long project. I will work on it until it is finished so things may sit out for a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes