Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question does it bother anyone else....

To know sometimes that the cards or papercrafted projects you make for people go unappreciated? *sigh* I'm trying to get going here making some Christmas cards to hand out at work, but the thought of them going unnoticed is really holding me back. I know which people will appreciate them and may even display them at Christmas time, but in actuality its probably only a couple people. I know my family keeps my cards and is always happy to receive them, and they tell me so, which makes me feel good. I work at a preschool, so I have co workers and parents to hand cards out to this year. But every time I start thinking about getting cards done for them, that nagging thought is in the back of my head and it halts my creativity. What do I do? Does this happen to anyone else? It's almost like I don't want to make cards for them, I'd rather just buy a cute set of cards at the store, maybe just make a few handmade for those that I know will appreciate them. Any advice or food for thought? I love making cards, but if I know that they will just get tossed and never even thought about, I have a hard time getting passed that.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I hear you! I have two Christmas card lists. One for those whom I think will appreciate a handmade card, and one for those whom I know won't appreciate or care about one. They get purchased cards. Then I make special cards for my grandchildren. Their mothers keep all the cards I've ever sent them! My husband and I joke that some people think cardmakers make cards because it's cheaper than buying them. Ha! We all know better! I'd suggest you give your handmade cards only to those you know will appreciate them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oddly enough, it doesn't really bother me.
The thing about this hobby is that it's for OUR enjoyment. If someone else doesn't appreciate it, that's their problem

A couple months ago, my sister and her kids helped me with something. I made each of them a card. A week later, I was talking to my sister about my new stamping hobby and mentioned the card I gave her, which I colored with my newly acquired Copic markers. She said she didn't even realize that it was handmade. As a newbie to cardmaking, I took that as a compliment. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I only make cards for those who appreciate hand-made. The others will get store bought.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I don't save any cards. I realized I have stacks of old birthday cards and such I have received and was tired of having them cluttering up my stuff. So I took off any thing I could reuse and threw the rest out. I think of cards as joy for a while... then trash.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Really interesting replies! They all are a little different...I understand that that this hobby is for our enjoyment and don't get me wrong I enjoy every minute of it lol....but I like to give my handmade things to people I know I put a smile in their day with it you know? Cardmaking can be very internally rewarding that way. I think I may make some CAS cards using old Christmas paper scraps, and old Christmas stickers and what not. Maybe this way, I use up stuff that's been gathering dust and still get to papercraft. Think I'll stick with the really nice handmade ones given to family and close friends : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Or maybe I'll buy some store bought lol....still not quite sure yet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I was surprised at work when one of the girls that I have given handmade cards to, told me she couldn't wait to see this years card. I had no idea that she even liked them!! She then told me she has every single one I've given her and does a little display with them on her mantle. I was completely shocked!!! and it reminded me why I love to make them even if I don't know what happens to them afterwards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Well that is encouraging to hear : ) I guess we shouldn't assume what happens to our cards after we five them away huh? Makes me think twice about some of the people I had pegged for not really caring if they get a handmade card or not....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by almightyhopeView Post
Well that is encouraging to hear : ) I guess we shouldn't assume what happens to our cards after we five them away huh? Makes me think twice about some of the people I had pegged for not really caring if they get a handmade card or not....
I have several Wendy Vecchi (Studio 490) stamps sets and I like to stamp the envelope flap with one of her sayings about I made this. Subtle (not) hint for people to take a closer look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

It doesn't bother me if they throw it away once they've read it, but if they just flip it open without even looking at it, that bothers me a little. I sometimes buy cards from the store to give to those who aren't close family/friends, and then put more energy into making cards for those I'm close to.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I enjoy making the cards and that's enough. Heck, with as much as I have invested in my stash, I have no business buying any cards. LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley QueenView Post
I enjoy making the cards and that's enough. Heck, with as much as I have invested in my stash, I have no business buying any cards. LOL.
Lol, funny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by almightyhopeView Post
I was actually debating whether or not to make cards for co-workers this year. Glad she told me all this before it was too late to make them! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have long since stopped caring if someone "appreciates" my card.

I enjoy making them, I enjoy giving them. That's what matters. If the recipient doesn't appreciate it, that's on them, not me.

I also don't care if my card gets tossed. Well, hopefully recycled and not just trashed. Cards are ephemeral. Coming from a borderline hoarder household, I certainly never want to give something that someone feels obligated to keep.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I really think that sometimes people don't even realize we've made the cards. I never look at the back to see what company made the cards I'm given, at least I never used to. Unless you're accustomed to checking the back of cards, you might not even know it's been handmade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

It doesn't bother me either.
When I give anything to anyone I really give it to them and let go of it. This includes a card or any other gift that I made or bought . What they decided to do with my gift is up to them.
I know I had the right intentions when I gave it to them . Some people really like cards , but don't save any cards including mine. That is OK with me. They are special enough to me for me to spend time making a custom made card for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been completley surprised by the people who appreciate my cards. Almost all the people in my department have kept all my cards - even the ones I made when I just started this hobby. Believe me, they're awful. Not just the women, but the guys, too. Sure, there are a couple who I can tell don't get it, but most of them really appreciate that someone made a card just for them.

For the ones that don't get it, I usually make a quick and easy card. They don't know the difference and I don't get upset if it gets tossed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Just make the cards you want to. I make a lot of them for family and friends and coworkers and sell some as well. I must say that I save cards from those very close to me, and am so glad that I do. I have a stack of cards from my late hubby that I love to look at and treasure them. He saved mine as well and it made me happy to see 18 years worth of cards... I hope you do what makes you happy....i don't think you should stress over it... Just enjoy the creative process if you can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I gave one of my birthday cards to a co-worker that had a turtle stamp on it that I used. I wasn't sure what kind of card she would like, but I picked it out of my stash because I used yellow and green paper, colors I know she likes. Then she tells me a little later that turtles are one of her favorite animals. So I never know if they'll be appreciated, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #21  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I make & enjoy the making, and I give out handmade to everyone.
That said however, when I have had situations where I am fairly sure there are some who will appreciate and some who will not, I make different cards. I make a simpler, one or two layer card with limited embellishments, and a more involved card. The simpler ones went to those who might not appreciate and the more involved to those I know will appreciate it.
That way, everyone gets a handmade card, so if someone you think won't appreciate it actually does, they aren't offended that they didn't get one.

Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnemoneView Post
I make & enjoy the making, and I give out handmade to everyone.
That said however, when I have had situations where I am fairly sure there are some who will appreciate and some who will not, I make different cards. I make a simpler, one or two layer card with limited embellishments, and a more involved card. The simpler ones went to those who might not appreciate and the more involved to those I know will appreciate it.
That way, everyone gets a handmade card, so if someone you think won't appreciate it actually does, they aren't offended that they didn't get one.

Does that make sense?
Yeah, this makes sense. This is what I've decided to do. I'm going to make simple cards and a set of more detailed cards. Thanks for all the input though! I do love cardmaking and all these different thoughts will help me next time I come to this hurdle, because I'm sure it'll take me awhile to not let it bother me haha! I keep all my special cards, and the other day I got my first handmade card from a fellow crafter I recently met, and I will be keeping that one too : ) I enjoy looking back on things like that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Nope. Doesn't bother me. I made it, it's now theirs to do with as they wish. I too have way too much money in my stamp stash to justify buying any card from the store. Some I make are more involved, others fall more into clean and simple (well, they start out that way at least).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

It doesn't bother me. My list has gotten much smaller, and I only send out about 20 cards. What people do with them is out of my hands. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff! Especially this time of the year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

My extended family is large - and they talk. Eventhough I know that many of them won't even look at the card I made for them, if they get a store bought card and they're talking to one of the other relatives who got a handmade card, then I'll end up hearing back about it from my mom. So, aunts, uncles, etc. relatives get handmade cards. A few special cousins get handmade cards (but they don't talk to the others anyway). Special friends get handmade cards. All others get store bought if they get one at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I send out about 18/19 Christmas cards to the same people I sent them to when I was buying store bought. I get maybe 6 sent to me. I don't worry about it. My cards are fairly simple so I need only one stamp.
I would make more 3d accessories for the holidays-treat boxes, etc- but I know those would get tossed out right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Default Cards with gifts

For my family, including 5 grandchildren, I give them cards with money for birthdays and Christmas.

I am pretty sure, some (not all) of the grandchildren could care less about handmade cards. If I put the $$$ in a used recycled envelope, they would be just as pleased.

As for feedback about the cash, they ALL appreciate it. Fine with me. Saves me shopping for unsuitable stuff and they have money after Christmas to do with what they please.

Many people who get hand made cards do complement me on them. Others probably do not notice. That is the way it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I really don't worry about it. I enjoy making them. I let it end there. There will always be someone with a snarky or other hurtful comment, I simply choose to not give it a thought. That being said, I was surprised when about 6 coworkers complained that they hadn't gotten anything handmade in a while!
Kathy T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

While I generally do not worry about people appreciating the "homemade" factor and never expect people to keep them (I don't want them being burdened with a card and if they are not the kind of people who keep things, they're just not). On the other hand I have taught preschool and kindergarten and I also owned a child care center. If I was thinking of making cards for everyone I WOULD FREAK OUT. I know many would not care about the card. Go get a really cute box of cards and don't feel bad about it!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

My mother alsways said, " Once the gift leaves your hand, it does not belong to you anymore." Granted there are many people who do not apprecate what you have created especially for them, & you truly know the thought and work that went into the project. If you enjoy making cards send them and let it go. You are still enjoying the hobby, and that is what counts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

If you enjoy making them, that is all that matters. It's how we feel that's important and if you want to give hand made cards, then do so. Those who truly appreciate it will be very happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Here's my card making mantra:

I make them as much for me as the recipient..it's so much cheaper than therapy! (Maybe)
Attached Thumbnails
does it bother anyone else....-makebeautifulthings.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love to make cards! Like the poster above that said, she has enough money invested in her stash, she has no business buying store bought cards! I just like home made better. I love, love, love to receive home-made cards. I don't get many unless I participate in swaps or RAK's. I know what it takes to make a home made card, so to receive one is always delightful. I keep and have kept most of the cards I have received, whether store-bought or hand made. I love the cards my DH gives me, because they just mean a lot to me. I am so sentimental! The cards my 3 DS have given me I treasure. My 3 DS's have made me several home made cards, and I treasure those the most! When I give others hand made cards, many keep them, and some throw theirs away. It doesn't bother me, as that's how people are. I too make cards for my co-workers. They all know they are hand made. They seem to appreciate them upon receiving them. If they throw away afterwards, well, that's just what they do. It doesn't bother me as long as I don't see them doing it anyway--lol!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

It has been great reading everyone's posts. I really make cards for myself also. I love to make a card that looks great, and that I enjoy. This year I am doing something I haven't ever done before, and kept working at the concept until it finally was something I could be proud of. Then my husband walks up behind me and says ... "those look professional". I said they are! That was after the third step. Now that I have some completely done he said that is the best card I have ever made. Just knowing he is proud of my work makes my day.

Stamping is my stress relief. As someone else mentioned it is cheaper than therapy.

I have made up to 400 cards per year, three years that my husband was a commander in the Air Force we sent them to everyone in the squadron. That was a lot of fun trying to design something that was fairly easy, but looked great too. Glad I only made 54 this year. I have a list around 34 that I am sending too and actually thought about putting on my facebook status to ask friends who would like to get a hand made card for the last 20.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Like PaperManipulator I have two card lists. I love to make cards but do not waste my creativity on anyone who treats them the same way they would treat a $tore card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #36  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

I am learning to stay up all night working on cards ....I send to those I love and this year for first time bought a box of cards for those who I am not close to if I get in a bind. I love my hobby and wouldnt trade it for anything...do what makes you happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

i am another one who does not care whatsoever what happens to my cards after i give them. i make them because i enjoy making them. once they are made i am all done with them. ihave boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of cards. i send them in stacks to my mom, step mom and aunt to give. they enjoy giving them and i have no idea who they give them to i just like when they are no longer taking up space at MY house! and no, i do not expect people to keep them. i AM considering giving out some sets of handmade cards and tags to a few people for xmas and am wondering if they will like that but then that is kinda a different story....however i am doing it mostly because i have a cricut cartridge with some really neat card cuts that i want to play with but i do not need any more cards for myself :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Wow, lots of interesting responses and things to think about. I do enjoy making cards, but I don't enjoy assembly line making (i.e. when I have to do about 40-50 of the same design). Esp at a time like christmas when I do know that most will be tossing them out. I guess one time I was at a FAMILY christmas event and saw my handmade card in the trash right there. After that I made a few handmade christmas cards for some select people--other crafters, personal friends who I know love handmade items, special friends,...but for christmas time, I generally use store bought cards. Now for a special day like their birthday or other, I may give that person (the same one whom I gave a store bought christmas card to) a handmade birthday card, but not at christmas.

Just my 2 cents on the subject

Cheers, Holley

a new project posted everyday!
Holley's Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolleyTXView Post
Wow, lots of interesting responses and things to think about. I do enjoy making cards, but I don't enjoy assembly line making (i.e. when I have to do about 40-50 of the same design). Esp at a time like christmas when I do know that most will be tossing them out. I guess one time I was at a FAMILY christmas event and saw my handmade card in the trash right there. After that I made a few handmade christmas cards for some select people--other crafters, personal friends who I know love handmade items, special friends,...but for christmas time, I generally use store bought cards. Now for a special day like their birthday or other, I may give that person (the same one whom I gave a store bought christmas card to) a handmade birthday card, but not at christmas.

Just my 2 cents on the subject

Cheers, Holley

a new project posted everyday!
Holley's Blog
OUCH!:mad: That would be painful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #40  
Watercolor Wizard

Now that I have been stamping for a few years, everyone who gets a card from me gets a card I made. Problem is, I miss opportunities to send my cards and am accumulating too many. My bad! I need to pack them up and send them to a good cause, although I often wonder how a "stranger" feels sending a card hand-made by someone unknown to them . . .

Sadly, the number of cards I receive each December is fewer than the year before. It seems to be a custom in jeopardy of extinction! Too bad, really, but with all the ways to instantly send a thought or sentiment, it isn't a huge surprise. :(

I do intend to make and use tags for all of my gifts this year. They are really just tiny cards, right?
Reply With Quote Likes