Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rubber, Acrylic or Digital?

Do you have a preference between Rubber, Acrylic or Digital stamps?

I think my preference is for Rubber. Nice to be able to grab and go.
But they can get costly. And I can mess up the inking process.

I jumped on the acrylic bandwagon with CTMH a few years ago. Their stamps are really nice, but I've noticed that acrylic tends to stain. I store the CTMH in their original envelopes, which works very well. But storing other acrylics are a problem. They stuck to my CD cases. I've since transferred them to an EZ Mount album, but not sure if I like that either. Unless stained, it's hard to see the design on the page.

I like the low cost of digital and the crisp image I get from my printer. But it also limits how the stamp is used. I have to plan ahead to print it directly on a card or I have to cut out the printed piece and attach it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have all three formats and I guess it depends on what I want to do. Digital images are great for copicing, pencil crayons etc...basically "dry" techniques. I have a laser printer and that makes a big difference for me. I have tried printing on water color paper to use a digital stamp with my water colors but it never works for me...toner flakes off.

For "wet" techniques use rubber or acrylic stamps.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't jumped on the digital bandwagon yet but don't have a preference between rubber or clear. I have a combination of storage methods that seem to work for me so far--cd cases, dvd cases, and the Little Monkeys storage system -which I think is no longer in business but you can see an example here: Bits and Pieces: Little Monkeys Storage

I'm probably going to migrate over from cd cases to the dvd cases since I like how they line up on my bookshelves.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Rubber first, then photo-polymer. Until we ever get a laser printer digital is just more trouble than I want to go to except on very rare occasions when it's worth the effort. I don't have Copics, my colouring media are all water-based.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,909 Likes on 2,180 Posts

I only use rubber. I have tried the clear acrylics and just don't get a good image when I stamp those. I do like SU's cling mount rubber stamps too, but if I had the space, I would have all rubber wood mounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't do digital, and rubber is my least favorite. I have some rubber stamps I still use once in a while that I got when I first started cardmaking.

I haven't bought any rubber stamps in a year or so, except for a few of the $1 wood mount rubber stamps they have at Michaels from time to time. They had some cute sentiments recently, and I got quite a few of them.

I much, much prefer the clear acrylic, both for how easy they are to store and also how easy it is to line them up and stamp exactly where you want to. I use Versafine Onyx ink and always get a crisp clear image with my clear stamps.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I don't do digital, and rubber is my least favorite. I have some rubber stamps I still use once in a while that I got when I first started cardmaking.

I haven't bought any rubber stamps in a year or so, except for a few of the $1 wood mount rubber stamps they have at Michaels from time to time. They had some cute sentiments recently, and I got quite a few of them.

I much, much prefer the clear acrylic, both for how easy they are to store and also how easy it is to line them up and stamp exactly where you want to. I use Versafine Onyx ink and always get a crisp clear image with my clear stamps.
Do yours stamp okay? The clear acrylics I have bought never give a good image. Maybe I'm just not buying the right ones or is there a secret to using them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Do yours stamp okay? The clear acrylics I have bought never give a good image. Maybe I'm just not buying the right ones or is there a secret to using them?
Muscrat, I get really nice images with my clear stamps. I have a lot of clear stamps from Papertrey, and recently some other companies - There She Goes, and My Cute Stamps. I have quite a few Hero Arts clear stamps, too.

Here is a link to a recent card in my gallery with a clear stamp so you can judge for yourself. I think they stamp great:

Girl and Pup by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I use Versafine Onyx pigment ink, and don't press down too hard with the stamp, or the edges will get kind of blurry. I think the ink makes the most difference when using clear stamps, and using a lighter touch than with rubber.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use them all and I love them all! These days I'm using more digis than anything else, just because they are cheaper and way easier to store. I would have to say that unless I absolutely love the image and can't get it in either bare rubber, clear, or digital, then I'll buy a wood mounted stamp. But it comes off the wood as soon as I can get it done. I just don't like using wood blocks at all anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I use Versafine Onyx pigment ink, and don't press down too hard with the stamp, or the edges will get kind of blurry. I think the ink makes the most difference when using clear stamps, and using a lighter touch than with rubber.
I think I need to try the VersaFine ink. And you are right about the lighter touch ... but I never think about it until I've stamped hard and smooshed the stamp.

Like muscrat, my preference is for wood mount rubber ... but unmounted rubber comes in second so long as it's clingy.

Oh, and I never even consider the digital / wet problem. I have an inkjet and was told to let dry overnight or use a heat gun before using my Copics. I never thought about what would happen if I used something waterbased.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Rubber first, then photo-polymer. Until we ever get a laser printer digital is just more trouble than I want to go to except on very rare occasions when it's worth the effort. I don't have Copics, my colouring media are all water-based.
Why do you need a laser printer for digi stamps? I use my HP deskjet all the time. I just give the image a quick shot of cheap hairspray before I color it in. No smearing at all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Muscrat, I get really nice images with my clear stamps. I have a lot of clear stamps from Papertrey, and recently some other companies - There She Goes, and My Cute Stamps. I have quite a few Hero Arts clear stamps, too.

Here is a link to a recent card in my gallery with a clear stamp so you can judge for yourself. I think they stamp great:

Girl and Pup by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

That one was very good and clear! I am thinking it has to be the ink. I use all SU and I love it for my SU stuff, but it just doesn't do well with acrylic. Also, good point about not pressing down so hard...I'm a heavy stamper and need to remember that. I have an acrylic somewhere around here and am going to try it with a lighter touch....I will also try one of my pigment inks and see if this changes my shopping habits! Thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer Unmounted Rubber stamps. And I use the wood mounted ones too.

I don't care for the Clear stamps as much. and digi's are ok. But using a printer verse Ink pads. I will get more for my money if I use Stamps.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Haven't joined the digital club yet!

I've always preferred anything unmounted because it takes up less space and recently I realized that I'm so used to clear stamps that I don't like it when I can't see through my stamps to what I'm stamping

Long story short - clear stamps take the first place and then cling rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Wood mounted rubber. i have a few (VERY few) clear stamps, but don't ever use them. I'm not even sure where they are, to be honest. I haven't ever used digital art for cardmaking. I like the act of stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I use them all and I love them all! These days I'm using more digis than anything else, just because they are cheaper and way easier to store. I would have to say that unless I absolutely love the image and can't get it in either bare rubber, clear, or digital, then I'll buy a wood mounted stamp. But it comes off the wood as soon as I can get it done. I just don't like using wood blocks at all anymore.
Same here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

I just tried one of the few acrylics I have and it came out very well! I used a pigment ink and didn't press as hard. I may like this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I just tried one of the few acrylics I have and it came out very well! I used a pigment ink and didn't press as hard. I may like this!
Hooray! I'm glad it worked for you. If you want to branch out and get some nice quality acrylic stamps and not break the budget, you might look at Hero Arts. They have all kinds, images, sentiments, etc. They stamp great and they're reasonably priced (compared to some of the what I call "designer stamps", lol.)

To enable you, here is a link to a great all purpose sentiment set that's on sale today at Overstock. I have this set and find lots of uses for it:

Hero Arts 'Everyday Messages' Clear Stamps | Overstock.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #19  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
Why do you need a laser printer for digi stamps? I use my HP deskjet all the time. I just give the image a quick shot of cheap hairspray before I color it in. No smearing at all!
I have tried this, but with watercolours you just don't get the same effect. I have watercolour paper thin enough to go through the printer, but if you coat it with spray, you can't blend your colours the same way because of the coating on the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
So, Gram, what are you coloring with? I only have an inkjet. Once I tried spraying a printout with acrylic sealer to see if I could color it with water-based markers. I put on several coats to make sure it was really good and sealed, and the markers still made the printer ink bleed. Tried with Bics and Sharpies (didn't have any Copics at the time) and it made the marker ink gum up, it wouldn't color smoothly. Nasty. (They work just fine on regular un-sprayed printouts, though, and don't bleed the ink.) Then I tried my Prismacolor pencils on the sprayed printout, both with and without OMS, and my goodness they went down so smooth and creamy! It was a dream to color.

And to answer the original question: to me, my first consideration is the image. If I like it, I don't care whether the format is rubber or clear or digi. But I too have grown to hate wood mounts and all of my rubber gets stripped down as well, to bare nekkid! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I prefer good old fashioned red rubber. I find that the acrylics often don't give a crisp impression and some of them have problems, tearing or getting sticky. I am NOT a fan of digital stamps, in my book it is not stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Hooray! I'm glad it worked for you. If you want to branch out and get some nice quality acrylic stamps and not break the budget, you might look at Hero Arts. They have all kinds, images, sentiments, etc. They stamp great and they're reasonably priced (compared to some of the what I call "designer stamps", lol.)

To enable you, here is a link to a great all purpose sentiment set that's on sale today at Overstock. I have this set and find lots of uses for it:

Hero Arts 'Everyday Messages' Clear Stamps | Overstock.com
I will have to check on some of those when I go out. I am thinking I saw some Hero Arts at either Michaels or ACMoore last time I was out. I could use more sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #23  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Two sets of Hero clear sentiment stamps live in the drawer under my PC monitor so I can grab them any time - they're great! I'm glad you've cracked the technique for stamping with clear stamps.
Love your little kitty running through the grass .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I prefer rubber. I think it's more traditional stamping. I also like Polymer but I always think of it as a different kind of stamping technique if that makes sense. Then third would be digital. I started off with digital before it was popular and then went to rubber when digital became popular. I was a newbie. I always think of digital stamps as PaintShop Pro Brushes, lol. I was a big PSP girl back then.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Two sets of Hero clear sentiment stamps live in the drawer under my PC monitor so I can grab them any time - they're great! I'm glad you've cracked the technique for stamping with clear stamps.
Love your little kitty running through the grass .
Thanks....he's not really my kitty. I found him when I was looking for avatars for another website. He's sooo cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I started off with digital before it was popular and then went to rubber when digital became popular. I was a newbie.
Before digital stamps were popular, they were called Clip Art ... and they were free! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Before digital stamps were popular, they were called Clip Art ... and they were free! LOL
I didn't think about that but you're right. Although not as artistic as today's digitals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

I didn't think about that but you're right. Although not as artistic as today's digitals.
My overflowing hard drive screams in protest. I collected so many beautiful pieces of clip art several years ago. I think a lot of things back before "hybrid" came in was prettier. I can't even remember the last collection I bought. I think it was the Gorjuss line a couple of years ago.

I was making digital scrapbooking layouts before it was popular. I couldn't bare making a big old book to set around and nobody would look at it. That's what would happen in our home. I did teach my son to traditional scrapbook.

I understand what you mean. It seemed only at one time the "clip art" that was on the market was Microsoft Office look. You really had to dig for quality pieces or design your own. There were a few companies that had good quality art for crafting. PcCrafter was the biggest one.

For Black & White "digital stamps" those were really hard to find. I call digital stamps line art. I used to teach pixeling back when that was popular and a lot of us who taught pixeling used line art and designed it. I can't get my head around the term digital stamping, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes