Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cardstock has frayed edges on fold

My cardstock sometimes (not always) looks frayed on the fold. A few days ago, I actually broke a scored cardstock into two pieces when I folded it! I know it was DCWV because I remember tearing that one out of the pad.

I recently bought an older style Scor-Pal thinking it would solve the problem. It works really well with some cardstock, but not with all. And since my cardstock is a mish-mash of brands, I'm not sure what's good and what's not.

BTW ... I score top of the cardstock twice then fold, putting the scored bead on the inside of the card. (I recall reading somewhere that this was the right way.) Then I take the flat side of my score tool and gently give the folded edge a slight rub to make a nice crease.

I think the problem is my cardstock. I have various kinds ... CTMH, DCWV, open stock from Michael's, JoAnn's and a couple scrapbook stores, etc.

I know a lot of people buy Papertrey Ink cardstock as a base and maybe I can do that down the road. For now I've got to live with what I have. Is there any way to tell what cardstock will be good or bad before cutting, scoring and folding? Or maybe a better scoring and folding technique?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paper has a definite grain direction so depending on how you cut it, some papers will still have problems folding even after you score it. Ideally the grain should run in the same direction that the fold does.
Lets see if I can confuse it even more.......
To check grain direction you hold the paper lightly on 2 opposite sides and gently roll slightly. Then try the opposite 2 sides. You will see that one direction will have a greater resistance than the opposite 2 sides.......clear as mud? The easier sides are in the grain direction. Paper will fold easier in the proper grain direction.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Dee's spot on - it's likely to do with the grain direction rather than wholly the cardstock itself. I think an even easier way to check the direction is to hold one edge of your flat piece and watch the "flop" of the card. Turn to hold an adjacent edge and again, watch the "flop" - it will be much more pronounced in one direction which is the grain direction for the piece. Score with the grain direction and you should be good to go with just about any cardstock.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't worry about grain anymore, if I get a frayed crease I just smooth it down with a bit of matte medium on my finger tip. It 'glues' the scraggly parts down and dries insvisible. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any kind of cardstock with a white core will not give a smooth clean crease no matter what kind of scoring tool is used or even if folded by hand. The paper will crack and look ugly. All Die Cuts with A View paper is one example.

Same is true with paper that is ultra smooth on one side and smooth or textured on the other side. Glossy paper or some varieties of heavy cardstock will also not fold smooth and crisp without flaking, tearing or cracking when folded.

Going with the grain is a good way to avoid problems but only usable with the right kind of paper. Above mentioned types of paper won't make a difference in this case.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Wow! You ladies are brilliant!
I never even considered grain.

With the exception of some CTMH cardstock that came with my paper packs, most of my cardstock is DCWV or textured with a color core. I'm just about out of white cardstock. Maybe I should break down and buy some good base paper in white and then use a layer of colored cardstock on the front when I want color.

Haven't heard of matte medium. I'll have to look into that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had this problem in the past too, so now I stick with smooth card stock and avoid certain brands of paper such as DCWV. Will have to look into that matte medium though, sounds useful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have found that scoring BOTH sides of the fold eases this problem. I think the 'rule' about mountain & valley folds doesn't always hold true, either. It really does vary from cardstock to cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Wow! You ladies are brilliant!
I never even considered grain.

With the exception of some CTMH cardstock that came with my paper packs, most of my cardstock is DCWV or textured with a color core. I'm just about out of white cardstock. Maybe I should break down and buy some good base paper in white and then use a layer of colored cardstock on the front when I want color.

Haven't heard of matte medium. I'll have to look into that.
I use the Georgia Pacific white cardstock from Walmart, or Wausau brand, bought in large quantity at Office Depot for all card bases, and just put whatever colored cardstock on as a front. Very economical....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

There's a Wal-Mart in town, though I haven't been there in a couple of years. Maybe I'll stop buy and take a look early next week. I need "economical".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up Tks!

Thank God...and you gals, for this thread. I asked about this problem some time ago and people didn't know quite what I was talking about. One responder also said to ink the edges. Thanks for the advice about the medium. Gonna pick some up. Will also check the grain thing. Also, I have almost no problem with SU cardstock. But their designer paper is another story. I tried to do matchbook boxes with disastrous results.
Anyhoooo, thanks you wonderful guys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Another hint is that you can over-score your paper. For me, unless the paper is extra heavy I only score once so as not to break the paper fibers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

That Georgia Pacific cardstock gets my vote for best, cheap cardstock. It is very smooth and takes ink well. I use watercolor wonder crayons and blender pens, as long as you don't rub too much, it will start to pill with too much rubbing. But for the money, you can make close to 4 times the cards compared to SU Whisper White-although I love SU WW, but real life finances interfere. Remember that saying about caviar tastes and a beer budget?
Reply With Quote Likes