Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help getting started making cards

Hello everyone! I am new here and glad I found this forum. I really want to get started stamping and making cards. I've been to a few card parties and loved it! My husband agreed to buy me a "starter kit" for my birthday. I just need some direction on what to get!
What would you recommend as the essentials for getting started? Any certain tools, specific types of ink, paper, etc. Also, though I know this is probably more a matter of preference, is one brand really better than another? I have used SU at the parties. I love the product but am wondering if there are any cheaper quality alternatives? Or is it better to go w/SU? What about Inkadinkado? Are they good, and does it really end up being cheaper? Are there others out there?
I am anxious to get started, so any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I'm a bit prejudiced (sp) as I am an SU demo, however, I do own stamps from other companies. Quality wise, SU can't be beat. What I recommend for my newbie stampers is to purchase a sentiment set, an outline set (line art vs solid images), a coloring medium (markers, chalks, etc.), an assorted pack of card stock, a neutral pack of card stock (white, vanilla, etc.), and a black ink pad. Until you get started, you won't know what your preferences are, so start small and build. If you have any more questions, this is the place for answers. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi there! Some things you will need: cardstock, a paper trimmer, ink, stamps, some kind of adhesive. I don't use SU myself so I am not much help with that. I mostly use clear stamps from a few different companies (I like: waltzingmouse, shady tree studio, papertrey ink, hero arts... to name a few) If you are using clear or unmounted stamps you will need a few acrylic blocks. For adhesive I like my ATG gun, but prior to that I used a tombow tape runner. Also love glue dots. Another thing you might really want is a score board so you can score the cards before you fold them. I would start small and as you make more things you will find your style and start to really see what you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Not sure just how big a kit you have in mind, but it'd hard to beat Stampin' Up!'s current promotion -- purchase the starter kit at $175 (value ~$345) and get a Big Shot (or $100 in catalog merchandise) FREE!

The offer is good until the end of the month and you don't have to buy anything else ever again if you don't want to. But who has that much will power?!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Stamnpin' Up is good, but there are tons of high quality alternatives to SU! Yes, Inkadinkado is a fine brand. Check out Papertrey Ink, Lawn Fawn, Magnolias, Stampin Bella, Unity, A Muse, CTMH, Hero Arts....the list goes on. Understand, I am just rattling off a few. There are tons of wonderful stamp companies.

Check your local Michael's, JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, or whatever craft stores you have around. They are always running specials, usually 40% off stamps, tools, papers, whatever they decide for that week. You can also print their weekly coupons from their websites.

For basic tools, I would say:

Paper Trimmer
Cardstock - Staples are White, Black, Kraft. After that, pick colors you like/want to use.
Black Ink Pad - Memento Tuxedo Black is great.
Something to color with - Markers, Colored Pencils, whatever you choose.
Clear Acrylic Blocks if you buy any unmounted stamps.
Adhesive - I use the Scotch Double Sided Tape.

That will get you started, then build from there. Definitely browse the galleries online here and other places. Also, check out blogs and stamp company websites. These are all great places to see what is out there.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you fo the ideas! Keep them coming

I was wondering about the SU starter kit. Is it more geared towards someone looking to start selling/demonstrating or to someone looking to get started stamping? And just what is the big shot? Do you need to buy expensive supplies to go with it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

The SU kit is what you get when you sign up to be a demonstrator.

The Big Shot is a Die Cut Machine. You can use it with dies, for cutting shapes or you can use embossing folders in it to emboss designs in paper. The price for what you buy to go with it varies. Embossing folders can be picked up for around $5, and some die sets (like Nestabilities) are around $25. But, if you shop the big stores with coupons, you can get them cheaper.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The above suggestions are very good.

One other tool you must have is a GOOD paper trimmer/cutter. I know Tonic brand might be a little more expensive but you can find it on sale at JoAnn website often. Tonic has various sizes to fit your crafting space. It is better to get a good trimmer from the start-less frustration, less disappointment because of bad/fuzzy cuts, etc. (An acquaintance just this past Friday, said she was tired of saving money on the paper trimmers she has bought over the years only to waste paper with bad cuts so just purchased the large Tonic guillotine. She is so happy with this trimmer.) I would also suggest getting one that cuts 12" x 12" paper because you might get a good deal on this size paper. Who knows, you might want to make a project needing the larger size paper. Tonic has a trimmer that has a pull-out arm to accomodate the larger paper but takes up less space on your crafting area when the arm is pushed in.

I know people use the self-healing mats (quilters mats), a metal edge ruler and a craft knife but I am too impatient so would probaly cur myself.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 10-24-2011 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: Correct spelling s/b cut myself
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Check out A Muse also! They have a program similar to SU if you are intersted in the consultant end of it.

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

The a muse|studio starter kits are also great values right now. Here are the two different options:

Starter Kit $99.00

Take advantage of our special introductory price!

The regular price of the Basic Starter Kit is $175

Basic starter kit includes everything you need to start your own business!
* four 2011 studio sampler stamp sets
* set of six clear blocks, one of each size
* ten a|s pigment ink pads {cranberry, currant, fern, french roast, grass, ocean, orange, papaya, bubblegum and sky}
* memento tuxedo black ink pad
* six copic markers {begonia pink, cool shadow, golden yellow, lipstick red, new leaf, sand}
* copic colorless blender
* double scrubber
* squeakly clean stamp cleaner
* adhesive runner
* glue pen
* diamond glitter
* solid paper starter kit - twenty sheets
* swatch ring
* twinkle stickers - clear
* pearl stickers - vanilla
* paper flowers - meadow mis
* three spools grosgrain stitch ribbon {slate, papaya, ocean}
* 4 catalogs, essential business supplies

Deluxe Starter Kit $149.00
Upgrade to the Deluxe Starter Kit today for an even greater value and take advantage of our special introductory price!

The regular price of the Deluxe Starter Kit is $225.

The Deluxe starter kit includes all of the products in the Basic Starter Kit PLUS:
* 6 additional a|s pigment ink pads {shell, lichen, lemon whip, slate, blackberry, latte}
* essential sentiments stamp set
* harlequin background stamp set
* gingham paper assorted pack
* polka dot paper assorted pack
* 3 spools satin ribbons {cherry, bubblegum, orange}
* 4 additional catalogs and additional business supplies

Even though the kits are geared towards those who want to become consultants, there's no penalty for dropping and you get to keep your kits. The only thing you'd need to get started would be a good paper cutter/trimmer. You get a good variety of stamps plus the acrylic blocks, inks, paper, and a variety of ribbon and embellishments.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't use SU! any more but I got the starter kit a few years ago to get a bunch of supplies at a discounted price.

I guess you have to decide what you want in a "starter kit." Do you want to gather all of your essential supplies (paper trimmer, adhesives, stamp cleaners, clear blocks some basic black ink) and slowly add other stuff like a selection of papers and stamps, or do you want to do it the opposite way and get a big starter kit with lots of stamps, inks and papers?

Speaking from personal experience I still have MOST of the cardstock from my SU! starter kit and most of the inks are in near-new condition. The stamps I chose went relatively unused until I sold them at a garage sale. WHY? Because I quickly found out that my style was more patterned-paper and colouring with Copics rather than stamping in solid colours and using lots of solid cardstock.

Even if you go the starter-kit route you will still have some supplies to purchase so I think it would be best to price out want you need to get started, look at the prices of the various starter kits and see which is the best route for you.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Ahh. So I'm at Joann's right now getting a feel for what's out here. Debating trying here or going through somewhere like SU. Anyway, looking at clear stamps they have Fiskars, TPC Studio, and Inkadinkado. Thoughts on quality? Is one better than the other? As far as ink I see Memento, Colorbox, StazOn, and VersaMark. Stamp supplies are 30% off this week. AC Moore is right down the street also, so I'm going to check them out next. Opinions or thought?s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I would say go with what you can purchase in the craft stores in your area. You money will go a lot farther since you're just starting out. No need to go with the expensive companies that you have to go through a demonstrator to purchase. You're just starting out. Go small to start with till you establish your particular likes and dislikes and style.

Sorry I am not in agreement with many others but starting out I don't advocate spending $25 plus on one set of stamps. Use coupons in the stores.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Inkadinkado is fine quality. I don't own any Fiskars stamps, but they are a trusted brand, and I wouldn't hesitate to give their stamps a try.

I would say focus more on what images you are seeing that you like. Find a cute set that you like the images, and go for it!

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

When I just started out, I went crazy buying things from Michael's and JoAnn's. I eventually decided to become a SU demo to help my build up my supplies and also to help me not just keep buying and trying a variety of things out. As I became more experienced, I dropped the demoship and bought from a variety of places again. Now, I've once again decided to simplify which is why I'm primarily going with a muse|studio.

In hindsight, I wish I hadn't spent all the money I did in the beginning as I was learning and just stick with one complany because it can be really overwhelming as a newbie--this is why my advice is to try to stick to one company at first, especially when there are coordinating inks, paper, and embellishments.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

My advise is to get in with a monthly group. SU demo's do monthly workshops. Other direct sales demo's must also. There just aren't any in my area. Amuse, Close to MY Heart or take in some classes at a local stamp store or HObby Lobby or Michael's. I learned a lot from going to one or two SU workshops. I also learn a lot from K Werner's weekly videos..Make a Card Monday and Finally Friday.

Also, Studio G from Michael's and now Wal-Mart has a really high quality rubber/wood mount selection for $1.00 each. I love, adore and use my Studio G stamps a lot!

Besides SU I also love Papertrey Ink stamps and supplies and Hero Arts stamps.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 10-24-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I would say go with what you can purchase in the craft stores in your area. You money will go a lot farther since you're just starting out. No need to go with the expensive companies that you have to go through a demonstrator to purchase. You're just starting out. Go small to start with till you establish your particular likes and dislikes and style.

Sorry I am not in agreement with many others but starting out I don't advocate spending $25 plus on one set of stamps. Use coupons in the stores.

Patti
I tend to disagree with this. I would caution spending money in the stores to get started. I wasted so much money on stuff I thought was necessary. After attending a few monthly card classes, I began to see what I liked and didn't. I would say find a card club of some kind and go a while and get a feel for it without spending. I bought clear stamps in the stores and ended up giving them all away. Yeah, $25 is a bit much for a stamp set, but it you are choosy and get ones that are suitable to many things, it won't be a waste in the long run. I have given away more things from local store purchases than I care to say! You aren't really saving money if it turns out to be something you aren't happy with...oh I think of the paper packs I ended up giving away! I guess you will have to read these all and do what's best for you!:p Most of all, have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Default clear vs wooden stamps

If I had it do do over again....I would buy mostly Papertrey Ink clear stamps. I have about 80 sets of SU which are quality and come at a good price but clear stamps are so much easier to work with in the end. Thanks to nestabilities I can cut images AFTER stamping with SU but if I want to be able to see my work, the clear stamps are so much easier! I have found Papertrey Ink to be very good quality. Inkadinkado works well too. Some other clear stamps seems to "pool" the ink instead of a nice crisp stamped image like the Papertrey ink. If I could magically change all my SU into PTI, I would do so in a minute. Also, clear stamps are so portable! I travel back and forth from PA to FLA and I can pack all of my 20 sets of PTI easily. And....Papertrey Ink has many metal dies that coordinate with their stamped images which is so helpful. Check out their website!

I love SU for my colored paper but use Papertrey Ink for my white, in my opinion, it is the best....so white and thick and luxurious and a great price!

I would not like to be without my Paper trimmer, my Cuttlebug die machine, my Cutterbee tweezers, my Scotch Adhesive Tape Gun (ATG), and my Scorpal.

Blessings,
cindybee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindybeeView Post
If I had it do do over again....I would buy mostly Papertrey Ink clear stamps. I have about 80 sets of SU which are quality and come at a good price but clear stamps are so much easier to work with in the end. Thanks to nestabilities I can cut images AFTER stamping with SU but if I want to be able to see my work, the clear stamps are so much easier! I have found Papertrey Ink to be very good quality. Inkadinkado works well too. Some other clear stamps seems to "pool" the ink instead of a nice crisp stamped image like the Papertrey ink. If I could magically change all my SU into PTI, I would do so in a minute. Also, clear stamps are so portable! I travel back and forth from PA to FLA and I can pack all of my 20 sets of PTI easily. And....Papertrey Ink has many metal dies that coordinate with their stamped images which is so helpful. Check out their website!

I love SU for my colored paper but use Papertrey Ink for my white, in my opinion, it is the best....so white and thick and luxurious and a great price!

I would not like to be without my Paper trimmer, my Cuttlebug die machine, my Cutterbee tweezers, my Scotch Adhesive Tape Gun (ATG), and my Scorpal.

Blessings,
cindybee
Are you talking clear acrylic or clear cling mount? I could never get a good image stamped from clear acrylic no matter what ink I used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you ladies. Definitely a lot to think about!! I am going to a SU card club on Wednesday. Hopefully that will help me figure some things out. I wish you ladies lived here to go shopping with me LOL!
What is a good paper cutter you would recommend? How about scorer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

I think local stores are a great place to pick up a few things, provided you use a coupon. Same thing for online shopping, most places I use have at the very least a coupon when you first register, and usually a smaller coupon monthly...I can say the ppl here are amazingly talented...kinda makes me sick...lol...but i search the boards here constantly for advice on what to buy and what to do with it once it's home
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachele75View Post
Thank you ladies. Definitely a lot to think about!! I am going to a SU card club on Wednesday. Hopefully that will help me figure some things out. I wish you ladies lived here to go shopping with me LOL!
What is a good paper cutter you would recommend? How about scorer?
This was how I got started. It was a nice way start and get to play with things and learn how to use them. I did have a party early on, too, to get hostess benefits. I poured over the catalog to decide what stamp sets would be most versatile and suit my taste. I also looked at what samples I liked in the catalog (now I'd do that on here) and got the things to emulate them.

Yes, tastes change, but you have to start somewhere. Personally, I still use almost exclusively SU stamps - their quality is great and I have no trouble getting a good image with them. I have continued to go with wood mounted as storage isn't an issue for me and I like the convenience of not having to mess with a block before I use the stamp, but a lot of people like the clear mount.

I have the Fiskars one that SU sells, although I think I bought it at M's or HL. It works fine for me, but there are a lot of people who prefer others. I used my bone folder with it to score for years - just got a MS scoreboard last summer. Sometimes I still don't bother to get it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face Be a hostess

Host a demonstration to take advantage of free or discounted stuff and attend workshops to get an idea of what you like. I too wish I had my money back on paper & ink pads bought at the big box stores. I became a SU hobby demo and have occasionally held a few classes to help meet my minis. The chalks are a great way to get a range of colors for watercoloring at a low price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd like to comment about Fiskars clear stamps; I only bought one set and don't like them at all. They didn't stamp clear images and I felt they weren't worth the money. I only bought them because I've always loved Fiskars scissors. I've been stamping for 20 years and have many, many, many stamps sets but would not recommend this brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
I'd like to comment about Fiskars clear stamps; I only bought one set and don't like them at all. They didn't stamp clear images and I felt they weren't worth the money. I only bought them because I've always loved Fiskars scissors. I've been stamping for 20 years and have many, many, many stamps sets but would not recommend this brand.
Thanks for the info about the Fiskars stamps. I haven't bought any yet, but just like you said I have always loved Fiskars and would have tried them without hesitation. Good info!

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

While I own a lot of SU products, I've also bought a lot at the hobby stores on discount or with coupons and feel that's the best way to stretch my budget. I buy SU paper, inks, stamps and some embellishments, but I get my adhesives and lots of other stamps and embellishments at hobby stores. I don't feel that you have to use one brand over another, although I still tend to prefer wood-mounted stamps to clear because not all of my clear stamps work as well as others. I buy clear stamps from SU now because I think the quality is the same as their wood-mounted stamps. I think that's really a matter of personal preference. I learned from these forums to buy white Georgia Pacific cardstock at Walmart for my card bases, and that has saved me a lot of money. I also stamp on it and usually find it works well, although I still love stamping on SU's cardstock. Personally, I bought way too much background/designer papers when I started, so I'd suggest not buying up too much of that right away.

I suggest signing up for Michaels, Hobby Lobby and Joann coupons online, in addition to cutting coupons from their ads in the newspaper. I often have enough coupons to go shopping every day, which is both a good and a bad thing!!

I agree with those who said SU workshops are helpful...I learned a ton at workshops and still do!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I will add my nickel's worth (inflation, ya know) to this discussion. I made many mistakes in the beginning, but I am very smart & nearly perfect now. NOT! LOL!
At first I thought I needed every color of ink available. Now after stamping for about 15 years, I found out that I love to color my images so I only really need a good black and a good brown. memento Tuxedo Black and Rich Cocoa, also memento, are about the only ones I use. They don't smear or run when I use markers to color. I also like coloring with colored pencils, and sometimes with chalks.
I agree with others who said they use Georgia Pacific white for card bases. It is easy to add a sentiment or write a note on the white. Then a pretty layer of color for your image is nice. I have a ton of patterned paper, and quite a bit of solid colored card stock. In my opinion if you use quality card stock you are half way there. Nothing sadder than making a card on cheap paper and having it not look or feel as nice as you would like.
Most of all, have fun, find some friends to stamp with if you can, and create something fun, or something elegant. That is a joy!
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Last edited by SuzyQue; 10-25-2011 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Adding a word I left out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

I, too, think that the SU Starter Kit is a deal that can't be beat right now. You get over $300 worth of product for only $175 AND you get a FREE Big Shot (or $100 in extra merchandise). But the deal goes away on Nov. 1st! I think it's fantastic for a beginner as it has everything you need -- kind of like one-stop shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

If I were to get the SU starter kit, I can customize the stamps, right? What else would you recommend getting from them? I would probably take the $100 in extra product over the Big Shot. What would I still need to get from a store? I'm assuming tools like a paper cutter would be chaper at a store. Is it really a good value, or would I make out better purchasing eveything elsewhere? Could I get one color family so everything would coordinate?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2011, 04:32 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

First of all - welcome to a crazy and addictive hobby! I started off like you about 18 months ago and learnt so much from SCS. I signed as an SU demo about 6 months ago with the intention of buying ALL my supplies from them to allow me to budget (I was spending $20 here, $30 there and breaking the bank!). I also never intended to hold a workshop or anything but my first one is next Friday and I'm looking forward to it!

Anyway. The SU deal is great right now, plus you have all the way until the end of March to make your first quarter minimum of $300. I think you'll find that easy particularly with Sale-A-Bration coming up. If you don't know what that is, it's where you get a free stamp set (from a specail selection) for every $50 you spend. Pretty awesome - I can't wait!

At this level, you basically save yourself tax and shipping, so the price you see in the catalog is essentially what you pay. Which makes a big difference for me as the T&S used to really put me off.

You can totally customise stamp sets, ink colours, more or less everything bar the business supplies. Choosing a colour family is a great idea, they really do coordinate nicely and it's easy. You can get that look with craft store stuff but it is a lot harder IMHO! Choose the one that appeals to you the most, for me it's the Brights but everyone is different. You get a $20 stack of designer paper in your kit which is fab - very easy to coordinate and make fab stuff. Then with your extra $100 (if you're SURE about the BS!!! It is awesome, but perhaps not essential for a newbie! Give it a year though and I bet you'll have it!) you could buy some coordinating ribbons, embellishments etc.

You'll be thrilled with your kit, but if you don't go that way, enjoy stamping anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2011, 04:32 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Best advice I was ever given when I began stamping was to get a ream of Georgia Pacific cardstock (WalMart), favorite coloring tool & Versafine Onyx black ink. That is a good starter kit.

StampinUp makes great stamps. They are etched very well. I just received a beautiful Stampotique stamp yesterday that was perfection. You need to shop around when buying stamps. I am so glad when I started stamping that I shopped around. I think I would have gotten burnout if I went to a direct company. I have a beautiful library of stamps now that are my style.

Also look for a rubber stamp store in your area that holds classes.

I do want to add that I know how confusing this all can be. I was at JoAnn's online the other day looking at inks. There was so many. I was confused and I know my inks. I can see why SU is very desirable. It does take out a lot of guesswork for building supplies. I have seen so many threads over there of the girls and guys selling their SU inks and going to Memento for example. They also bought all the colors of SU inks too and had regrets. I am just using SU inks as an example of this. Do take time to research your kit. Getting in this hobby is a balancing act.

I am buying all the SU inks right now, slowly. I actually like them and I love the colors. It's more for me as an artist. It took me years to make a decision to do this. I am glad it did.

Supplies:

Paper Trimmer- I use an Xacto knife and metal ruler. I do have a trimmer. I prefer my knife and ruler. Plus, I have more money for stamps and more workspace. I do like the Martha Stewart trimmer.

Ink Pads- Versafine Onyx Black for general coloring. Memento Tuxedo Black for Copics, Bics, Sharpies. I don't like SU's black. I think it looks gray.

Adhesive - Scotch Double Sided Tape, Glue Stick, Red Line Tape, Aleene's Tacky Glue. I also will suggest a Glue Runner. Go for a good quality brand on all these adhesives. You don't need an ATG until your sure cardmaking is what you like. The only way I recommend an ATG to a new stamper is if she did a lot of framing for another craft. My ATG is used for needlework and helping my friends out with their framing needs. I use Diamond Glaze & Aleene's to attach embellishments.

Basic Supplies- Self Healing Mat, Microtip Scissors. I also use two pairs of scissors from Dollar Tree. One is for junky work and the other is for my paper crafting. Both pairs of scissors are excellent and have lasted me for years.

If you choose color pencils as your medium you will need a good sharpener and some HandiTac. HandiTac erases your mistakes. You pounce the Tac on your mistake until it fades.

Watercoloring you might think of a couple of AquaPainters.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the time to discover what YOU like. Don't be distracted by specials, sales, or coupons. Those will always be there. There will always be a new special, a new sale, or new coupons. Don't feel pressured to buy everything NOW. This is the surest way to waste money. Find out if you're the type who prefers sticking with one company, or buying here and there. Find out if you'd prefer wood-mounted stamps, cling stamps (same as SU! "clear-mount" stamps), photopolymer clear stamps, or non-photopolymer clear stamps. Try buying (or using) only one stamp set at a time, extensively. You can then see what you like or dislike about it, and modify future purchases. Would you prefer all sorts of hostess benefits (you can go with SU!, Amuse, or CTMH)? Or would you prefer free shipping and no tax (you can go with Papertrey, or Gina K, or anyone else who offers free shipping over a certain dollar amount)? When you are making a card, you can jot down what you WISH you had, and if there are certain things you wish for over and over, then buy it.

When you are ready to buy, search online for coupons (Michael's, JoAnns, etc.) and wait for deals. Don't forget to check out sites like Overstock.com, which occasionally offers free shipping (just WAIT for it). Whatever you want to buy, google the item, especially if it's expensive.

The Big Shot? You can get it at SU! and get hostess benefits, or for example you can get it at Overstock: Sizzix Big Shot Machine with BONUS Sizzx Sizzlit | Overstock.com. Today it is $59.11, last day for free shipping.

But I would wait on big-ticket items like the Big Shot. What if you decide you don't like card-making THAT MUCH after all? Or what if you find that you prefer clean and simple cards? What if this or that? Again, jot down what you find yourself wishing for. If you keep thinking (for example) "I wish I had a scallopped oval/circle/retangle/some-other-shape" over and over again, then yeah, I'd say a Big Shot with Nestabilities would be a good purchase for you. (Shop around for Nestabilities too - I've gotten them for waaaaaaay less than $25 a set!!).

If your top priority is not to waste money, I'd say start very, very smaaaaaaall and keep writing things down that you wish you had. If you DO have enough money to be okay with a little wastage, and would be okay with giving away things later that you wish you had never bought in the first place, well THEN!!! Have fun and go crazy!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi, you've been given lots of info, but really what you need to start out: A good paper trimmer, a sharp pair of scissors usually with a pretty small blade to cut intricate images, a ruler, an adhesive you like...this can get spendy but it doesn't have to be, I have a friend that does all her paper crafts with plain ol' Elmers glue. You're going to want some decent cardstock. If you plan to stamp then that's a shopping trip unto itself. Several people mentioned card making clubs, this is a really great idea. Close to my heart and Stampin' up are the two that come to mind. There is also creative memories but that's for scrapbookers. The one thing that you should know is we all have stuff we don't know why we ever bought it. Don't fall into that trap, just cuz it's cheap or on sale or being offered at 10 for $1.00 doesn't mean you should buy it. Go slow, focus on the basics (hold off on the Cricut, Big Shot, Nestabilities ect.) find your own style then make some of the larger purchases once you really know what you like. Do an internet search for Stampin Up demo's and Close To My Heart consultants in your area and visit some workshops, play with some products and have fun. Above all else, have fun:-)
One quick tip: every time I see something I like I ask myself how will I use it? It's not enough to love a stamp or another item, I have to know how I would use it. If I can't come up with a project in my head I wait. I've been waiting to almost 2 years to buy a S-U set I just love but have no idea how or when I would use it. It's kept me from spending $27.00 on something that sits and collects dust.

Last edited by GPGAL; 10-28-2011 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes