Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Chatter please! SU Cases vs CD Cases vs Clear Pages

I cannot decide which storage option I want to use for my stamps. Right now they are all in the original packaging, which is kind of a pain to see them, take them out and put them away.

1. Pages look like the easiest solution. But they look like they might be kind of floppy stored in a binder?

2. CD Cases are rigid, can be stacked on end or flat. Easier to find a CD holder to hold them?

3. SU Cases - These are made for stamps, but they look a bit flimsy from the pictures, and I wonder if they are easy open? And how well do they stack?

*pours coffee*

Discuss!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't used the page system. The CD's are OK but can lose small stamps (they fall out). The SU DVD cases are not flimsy! I love them. But they can be a bit expensive if you have tons (like I do) stamp sets. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Hi Magmoss,

I'm truly sorry about using the word flimsy in my description. What I meant was, the SU ones look soft and pliable in comparison to CD jewelcases that are very hard plastic.

I meant no offense to anyone, nor the SU company. :oops:

Star
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

The real advantage in using the DVD-style cases are that you can put multiple sets in one case and they snap shut so if a stamp falls off of the case, it doesn't get lost. I unmounted all of my stamps, put 2-in-1 Sailor Glue on the backs and stored them in the DVD cases. I managed to get 12 background stamps, 16 jumbo wheels, 26 standard wheels and 141 stamp sets into 27 DVD cases! You can read about it HERE on my blog, if you're interested.

I no longer use this system - I decided to organize by category of stamp (hearts, snowflakes, butterflies, etc.), have one system for ALL of my stamps (clear/cling/rubber), and have a "grab-and-go" system instead. I use the Iris photo storage cases with laminated folders cut into 4" x 6" cards to hold the stamps. Each case will hold 7-8 cards, and 20 cases came in the carrying case I bought. I've attached a couple of pics to illustrate...
Attached Thumbnails
Chatter please!  SU Cases vs CD Cases vs Clear Pages-cards-stamps.jpg   Chatter please!  SU Cases vs CD Cases vs Clear Pages-photo-keeper-open.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had bought a whole bunch of DVD sized cases, just before SU came out with their cases. I wish I had known they were coming and waited. Going forward I'll get the SU cases.

The plastic that DVD/CD cases are made out of is not very stamp friendly; I have clear stamps that don't want to come off, and my cling mounted stamps leave a residue on the case that make me think they will lose clingy-ness after a while. There are little clips on the inside of the cover that can be used to hold a printout of the stamps, but that means that side can't be used to hold stamps. Labelling the spines isn't quick and easy, at least not for me. I use adhesive labels but they tend to bubble up. I've also cracked the cases or broken the hinges. And there's a gap that small stamps can fall out of.

I like the SU cases because they seem to be a much stamp-friendlier material, no gap, and a sleeve on the outside that wraps around the spine to easily label and index the stamps. Plus, with thinner clear stamps, I can put them on both sides, and fit twice as much as I can in the DVD case.

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going with the page system as it is the least expensive. And the pages are in a box, not in notebooks. I just flip through the pages - so far I think it will work but I have to say that the system that Sue is using (post 4) sounds interesting. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

i love the SU DVD cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Just to let you know that Amuse Studio also sells DVD cases, and they are a dollar cheaper than SU. Four DVD cases for 4.95. I plan on ordering a boatload of them soon. I LOVE the DVD cases. They take up very little room, easy to label, and they snap shut with no gap like the CD cases. I'm selling off a TON of wood mounted stamps, unmounting the ones I want to keep, and I'm buying clear and unmounted rubber cling mount from now on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 04:52 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

I think my decision has been made.

I visited with our CD/DVD collection for a bit. We have two large binders with pages that hold 8 discs (4 each front & back).

They binders are incredibly heavy and hard to handle. I was in a car accident 10 years ago which left me with nerve damage, and chronic pain. I just know I would develop an aversion to touching big heavy binders that make me hurt.

Also storing binders on my desk or nearby surroundings doesn't seem like a good solution for me. I want to be able to rifle through things, at my fingertips.

So now I am exploring the DVD storage systems. Not sure if I will go with SU, or some other brand. Sadly I am unable to find the SU ones on their website, nor the Amuse version. I've been researching a bit on the internet trying to find retailers that carry them, as there are lots on companies on the internet who supply nothing but Media storage items.

It looks like the SU cases do not have an actual DVD holder thingy in them, is that correct? So far I've not been able to ascertain if there are removable insert thingys in the DVD cases available from media storage vendors. (thingys is a technical term by the way)

I found one other item which is probably more than I want to pay. They are called mill cases, used by comic book collectors. Thin, 7.5 x 10.5, and look perfect for our purpose. However the price is prohibitive. $20.00 + outrageous shipping for only 6 of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarlytteView Post
I think my decision has been made.

I visited with our CD/DVD collection for a bit. We have two large binders with pages that hold 8 discs (4 each front & back).

They binders are incredibly heavy and hard to handle. I was in a car accident 10 years ago which left me with nerve damage, and chronic pain. I just know I would develop an aversion to touching big heavy binders that make me hurt.

Also storing binders on my desk or nearby surroundings doesn't seem like a good solution for me. I want to be able to rifle through things, at my fingertips.

So now I am exploring the DVD storage systems. Not sure if I will go with SU, or some other brand. Sadly I am unable to find the SU ones on their website, nor the Amuse version. I've been researching a bit on the internet trying to find retailers that carry them, as there are lots on companies on the internet who supply nothing but Media storage items.

It looks like the SU cases do not have an actual DVD holder thingy in them, is that correct? So far I've not been able to ascertain if there are removable insert thingys in the DVD cases available from media storage vendors. (thingys is a technical term by the way)

I found one other item which is probably more than I want to pay. They are called mill cases, used by comic book collectors. Thin, 7.5 x 10.5, and look perfect for our purpose. However the price is prohibitive. $20.00 + outrageous shipping for only 6 of them.
The item number for the SU cases is 119105..$5.95 for a set of 4 (plus shipping and handling). And no, SU's do NOT have the DVD center holder...they are flat on both sides. And if you are interested, there's another post that has alot of the covers for some of the SU sets (that you would put in the clear holder that wraps around the case.

I did the CD cases for awhile...found that, like the others said, small stamps would sometimes fall out thru the opening and the cases were more apt to crack. I haven't had ANY problems with SU DVD cases and I just bought a DVD holder that rotates (only takes up about a square foot of floor space) and holds a ton of DVD cases!! (although I am already wishing I had gone for a taller one! LOL )

Last edited by Jeanne S; 10-29-2011 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: spr
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 178 Likes on 119 Posts

[QUOTE=Starlytte;18844822]So now I am exploring the DVD storage systems. Not sure if I will go with SU, or some other brand. Sadly I am unable to find the SU ones on their website, QUOTE]

First off, Take Care Starlytte, hopefully stamping can be somewhat therapeutic for you.

Here you are; from the Stampin' Up! Website,(Stampin' Up!) go to STORE, then CLEAR MOUNT STAMPS, then CLEAR MOUNT BASICS< on the canadian site it is the first item.
Bulk Clear Mount Stamp Cases item # 119105

IF anyone is converting there SU stamp sets to fit in the cases, be sure to check out the thread by Badger53186, SU! DVD case inserts by Badger53186 at Splitcoaststampers Shannon and others made up several inserts to fit inside the DVD cases

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I love the DVD cases from SU...and I bought racks from Ikea and mounted on the wall. I even offered some of my DVD case templates to Badger's post.
Attached Thumbnails
Chatter please!  SU Cases vs CD Cases vs Clear Pages-ikea%2520004.jpg   Chatter please!  SU Cases vs CD Cases vs Clear Pages-my-craft-room-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

No, there are no inserts in the SU DVD cases - they are just the same dimensions as regular DVD cases.

The mill cases are too thin (thinner than CD cases) to allow enough room for stamps, especially if you have foam on them. They're great for Nestabilities, though, if you put magnet strips in them! Not pretty, but very serviceable... The SU DVD cases work well for Nestabilities, too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Heart

Doris - Thank you! I am constantly looking for things that distract me from the pain so I don't have to lean on narcotics quite so much. Crafting is great for that, I can get lost for hours! I also do quite a bit of online gaming with my hubby and friends.

Thank you all for the links pointing me to the right spot on Stampin Up's website. I think because the picture is light/bright(?) that I just skipped right past it. Those do look perfect for my needs, and the printable inserts are genius. You guys are awesome

I admit that I have done some research online trying to find these elsewhere at a lower price point, or with a lower shipping cost. Apparently they must be made special for SU without the disk insert, or hub. So I guess I will be placing an order with SU for them soon.

Thanks again everybody!

PS: Anyone have tips on how to entice reluctant husbands into going to IKEA? I've promised meatballs and lingonberry soda pop, but so far he's not taking the bait!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
AmpleStamper (11-18-2023)
Old 10-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

entice your husband w/ a store he would enjoy. hardwrae,golf,fishing,hunting?
dinner out?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

If you visit Amuse Studio online, the DVD cases are listed under accessories, and then click on storage. Or if you browse through the catalog online, they are on page 108 (Stamp Cases 4 pack for 4.95). Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

So both brands are the exact same item? I'm having a hard time parting with the shipping fees both sites charge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

So both brands are the exact same item? I'm having a hard time parting with the shipping fees both sites charge.
Yes, the cases from SU and Amuse are identical. I have some of both.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

For me one soloution does not fit my needs, most of my UM stamps are in binders with divided sheet protectors and they work very well for me because I flip through like a cataloge. My SU cling mounts are in their DVD cases and I sneek other UM stamps that go well with them right in the case with them. my PTI stamps are in the CD cases they came in so if I want a pti set I go strait to the CD cases. I have odds and ends in the cases that came with my see-d stamps, they had great cases that were the size of CD cases but no gap, it was a top and a bottom that fit together. All of my see-d stampes are in binders and I used the old cases to hold stamps from companies I don't have enough to fill a binder of or don't fit a catagory. All of my woodmounts are on a shelf and all of my wheel stamps are on a rack I made. My small sentiments ad alphas are in printers trays. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by magmossView Post
I love the DVD cases from SU...and I bought racks from Ikea and mounted on the wall. I even offered some of my DVD case templates to Badger's post.
Oh my that does look tempting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I read about storage binders here but the company wanted an arm and leg to ship to Canada. I ended up purchasing mine from Gina K and I have to say I am thrilled with them. I have them all nicely packaged and sitting on a one shelf!

I really would like to sit down one day and organize them by category instead of stamp company. For each stamp I purchased I have the picture from a website and I will be able to put them together in my graphics program and organize them per page for each binder.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I cannot decide which storage option I want to use for my stamps. Right now they are all in the original packaging, which is kind of a pain to see them, take them out and put them away.

1. Pages look like the easiest solution. But they look like they might be kind of floppy stored in a binder?

2. CD Cases are rigid, can be stacked on end or flat. Easier to find a CD holder to hold them?

3. SU Cases - These are made for stamps, but they look a bit flimsy from the pictures, and I wonder if they are easy open? And how well do they stack?

*pours coffee*

Discuss!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I've used all 3 of the storage containers.

I started out with CD cases. and liked them for awhile. Some of them got dropped and broke. I replace them with new ones.

Then I went to the Single White Plastic Storage sheets and a Binder. I still keep some of my stamps in them. Mostly retired stamps or stamps from companies that are no longer around.

For current stamps. and Ippity stamps by Unity I store them in the DVD cases. That SU and AMuse Studio's sells.

I really like these. they are easy to use and they stack nicely! I also have been adding labels to the Spline.

I try to combine stamp set's into 1 case. That way I can store more stamps.

I think storage is a personal thing. Whatever works for me might not work for you.

For me it's the cost and Less storage space.

The Binders are fine. but you do need a place to store them.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

Quote:

oh WOW I am loving the looks of your storage system for stamp sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Do you know what they are called at IKEA?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
The real advantage in using the DVD-style cases are that you can put multiple sets in one case and they snap shut so if a stamp falls off of the case, it doesn't get lost. I unmounted all of my stamps, put 2-in-1 Sailor Glue on the backs and stored them in the DVD cases. I managed to get 12 background stamps, 16 jumbo wheels, 26 standard wheels and 141 stamp sets into 27 DVD cases! You can read about it HERE on my blog, if you're interested. . . .
OMG, after viewing your blog post, I’ve decided we must be related! I’ve every stamp since beginning my stamping hobby. I, too, have changed my system too many times to count! I now store my uncounted rubber stamps and unmounted SU wheel stamps on laminated sheets kept in wood mount file storage boxes. They were designed by the lady, can’t think of her name, who came up with an elaborate craft storage system. Although her system is totally unworkable for me the wood boxes hold 8 laminated sheets, and I store them on edge like books. I keep my SU sets in their original dvd holder, and I’m out of shelf room for those now!!! My other stamps are kept in olfa drawers using Jennifer McGuires system. All are filed by manufacturer, then either stamp number or alphabetically when it comes to SU. My entire collection is in Evernote and tagged, multiple tags for each entry where appropriate. I’m thinking downsizing my older and less used stamps is something I really need to consider!!! After my self rant I just remembered I’ve an order arriving Friday, more stamps!!! I’m exhausted just thinking about storage solutions!:confused:
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 10-03-2018 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 05:41 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Update to Anne's post above and my own (even farther above): I was curious how she was able to read my blog post, since my blog is currently inactive and the link in my original post goes nowhere. She did some excellent sleuthing and tracked down a link that does work: random.on purpose.: Stamp Storage

Some things referenced in that post have changed (again), but it gives a pretty good outline of the evolution of my system. Thanks so much, Anne!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CD cases can be found for free or for cheap at garage sales. DVD cases cost money and need a shelf to hold them. CD cases can be stored in CD racks and found for cheap at garage sales. Cheap equals frugal. I have not tried the envelope method.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm going to toss in my two cents for storage.

You didn't mention the option of storing your stamps like this:

The advantage to this method is that it takes up much less space than dvd cases.

If you are a "flipper" this is perfect.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
AmpleStamper (11-18-2023)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I've tried all three ways. The clear brittle plastic CD cases crack easily, their hinges snap and they are so slippery they were constantly crashing to the floor. When put in binders in sheet protectors, the pages tend to sag down (I don't know how to describe it). I have DVD cases that perfectly match Stampin' Up cases that I got online from a place called TapeOnline. Cost was $70. for 100 w/ free shipping. The cheapo Sauders DVD cabinets hold 85 of these cases and I see them at garage sales for $3 - $4 each. I have 5 cabinets full already. (Yes I have that many stamps).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

After trying so many times to use dvd cases and the SU cases, they still took up too much real estate and it was difficult to find what I was looking for. I have started using the clear pages. I love the Scrap Rack Idea, but for now, I am keeping them in a 4" D ring binder. It will take me a while to get all my wood mounted rubber stamps organized, but for the little room this method uses, it is well worth it. I don't have them categorized, but I can flip through all and decide what I need at a glance. Once they are all organized, I will use Evernote to catalog them all. The good thing with Evernote is that you can grab a picture of the set online and add to your post. You can even use tags, i.e. birthday, flowers, etc, so when you need a stamp, just use that search word and brings up all the sets with that tag.
Reply With Quote Likes