Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you wash your acrylic blocks/stamps?

I just dug out my acrylic mounts and they looked a bit worse for wear. I took them to the sink to clean them and STOPPED dead in my tracks. I thought I better ask you all if you wash/clean your blocks and with what? Do you clean your acrylic stamps with anything other than typical stamp cleaner. Also, I have unmounted stamps on "acrylic cling" that don't seem to want to stick to my blocks. I've given away almost 30 stamps on "acrylic cling" and I sure hope those people aren't having the same problem! Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

RavioliGirl
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've washed my photopolymer stamps with soap and water to help them cling to acrylic mounts. (MFT and Verve recommend you wash gently with soap and water if they're not clinging anymore.)

I have washed my acrylic mounts off, but I also do a rub on my Stamp Scrub as well to make sure there's no soap residue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I clean my stamps after every use, and this isn't a problem. I just place them back onto the acrylic sheet they are attached to in their folder. I have Tack n Peel on my acrylic blocks and wipe this off with a baby wipe after every use as well. The TNP is a bit discoloured from black inks but still see through and usable.

I use normal stamp cleaner on all my stamps. I occassionally use my stamp pad when I have large numbers of stamps that I am using for a project but it annoys me having to wash it so frequently so for individual uses, I just use the stamp cleaner. This is for all my acrylic, polymer and rubber stamps. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I never thought of wiping off the Tack n peel - thanks for the idea

My TacknPeel looks awful but it still works just fine!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Thanks, Sara and Karen! I, too, have one of those scrubber thingies...wet on one side and dry on the other. I have to rinse it out and then use soap on it all the time. They do get dirty quickly when you're using black ink alot. This "acrylic cling" that I'm talking about is a "flimsy" clear sheet that I purchased over 13 years ago when I started buying unmounted stamps. I would buy the adhesive cushion to mount and then attach it to the acrylic cling sheet. I don't know if being in storage all those years did something to it or what. I tried rubbing both the mount and the stamp on my head like we used to do to make balloons stick to the wall for the kids, but it didn't do anything except mat my hair all up! I'll do as you both suggested and wash them and see how they do. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

What IS Tack and Peel?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I clean my acrylic blocks all the time and don't have any trouble. Little bit of soap and water does the trick when they get really bad.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am lazier than most. When my clear stamps don't stick anymore, I rub them under running water (hardly considered "washing") - I don't even use any soap. When I can't see through my acrylic blocks anymore, I clean them with stamp cleaner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blot off the excess ink on a baby wipe before your using your stamp scrubber and it will save a lot of washing it out! I wipe my acrylic bocks off with a baby wipe before I put them away...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I use soap & water, baby wipes- just don't EVER use Staz-on cleaner on the acrylic blocks. It makes them look all crackled & cloudy. It took me ages to find out what was causing my blocks to go like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

RavioliGirl...am I understanding you right...You have rubber stamps, foam cushion, and vinyl cling (which is a "flimsy" but thickish vinyl meant to cling to windows, etc).

My experience with the vinyl cling wasn't great, but you do have to keep it scrupulously clean. So wash with soap and water often. Your blocks can and should be washed with soap and water as well.

I ended up changing all my rubber to EZMount because of my frustrations with the vinyl cling. But if you have gotten it to work for you for 13 years you are very fortunate! Washing may take it back to where you were.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I use soap & water, baby wipes- just don't EVER use Staz-on cleaner on the acrylic blocks. It makes them look all crackled & cloudy. It took me ages to find out what was causing my blocks to go like that.
I was wondering why one of my blocks was cracking! I heard not use StazOn cleaner on clear stamps due to yellowing but I did not know about the blocks. Thanks!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2011, 03:48 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Glad to help- I finally read about it on one of the threads on here somewhere! Like you, I couldn't figure out what was causing it. I had to buy a new stamp positioner because the acrylic plate had gone almost completely opaque.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
RavioliGirl...am I understanding you right...You have rubber stamps, foam cushion, and vinyl cling (which is a "flimsy" but thickish vinyl meant to cling to windows, etc).

My experience with the vinyl cling wasn't great, but you do have to keep it scrupulously clean. So wash with soap and water often. Your blocks can and should be washed with soap and water as well.

I ended up changing all my rubber to EZMount because of my frustrations with the vinyl cling. But if you have gotten it to work for you for 13 years you are very fortunate! Washing may take it back to where you were.

Diane,

Oh, no...I had them stored away for 13 years and now I'm trying to get them out and play with them again. I'll try the washing thing. I may have to try to pull them apart and get some of that other product you talked about. Oh, dear...I have a nice little supply of unmounted rubber on that stuff. Thanks so much for alerting me to the failings of the cling. At the time, that was all that was available for unmounted. [Been stamping a long time.]

Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I just read my original post and I did present that poorly. I've had them stored for 13 years...have no idea how old that cling mount is.

shazsilverwolf!!! Thank you so much for that info. I sure would have reached for that. Cleaner is cleaner to me. The only reason I bought it was because I understood that you had to have it to clean stamps used with StazOn ink pad. You saved me a headache for sure. See...we learn so much from each other. LOVE it here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

RAVIOLIGIRL Tack and Peel is a product you use on acrylic blocks to adhere your stamps. Here's a video of how to use it.
How to Use Unmounted Rubber Stamps - YouTube

Joann's carries it and I usually use a coupon. It's really good and lasts a long time.

Tack 'n Peel Reusable 4X6.5 Cling Sheets : mounting tape & dispensers : scrapbooking adhesives : scrapbooking : Shop | Joann.com

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LorraineBKView Post
RAVIOLIGIRL Tack and Peel is a product you use on acrylic blocks to adhere your stamps. Here's a video of how to use it.
How to Use Unmounted Rubber Stamps - YouTube

Joann's carries it and I usually use a coupon. It's really good and lasts a long time.

Tack 'n Peel Reusable 4X6.5 Cling Sheets*: mounting tape & dispensers*: scrapbooking adhesives*: scrapbooking*: Shop | Joann.com
Lorraine, thank you so much for the links. The tutorial was great. I'm going to stop at JoAnn's and check it out. I can see why you would want to use a coupon. I really appreciate your help. I'm hoping my "acrylic cling" isn't stubborn to get off. Thanks again!

Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I just use a small bit of ultraclean and voila! they look fab! I have been known to just rinse after with water and towel wipe dry after the uc to make sure it's all off also. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

To clean my acrylic blocks I rub them down with rubbing alcohol and they're like new again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I clean my acrylic blocks with dish soap, rinse and air dry!

I also have tack-n-peel on my blocks and washing them hasn't made a difference in the way the tack-n-peel works!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Many thanks to everyone for their input. I definitely want to get some Tack 'N Peel! Haven't had a chance to look at my acrylic cling to see if it will peel off easily, but I'll make it work.

Thanks again all!
Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Beverly...If you decide to go with the tack n peel, I don't think you would need to do anything with the stamps you have on the cling. I could be wrong...the cling might stick too well to the tack n peel...but the whole thing about using it on your blocks is that you don't need to have any mounting 'stuff' on the stamp itself. People usually use bare rubber with the tack n peel.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Beverly...If you decide to go with the tack n peel, I don't think you would need to do anything with the stamps you have on the cling. I could be wrong...the cling might stick too well to the tack n peel...but the whole thing about using it on your blocks is that you don't need to have any mounting 'stuff' on the stamp itself. People usually use bare rubber with the tack n peel.
Duh...I AM SUCH AN IDIOT! Thank you so much for pointing that out to me, Diane. NOT that you pointed out that I'm an idiot, but that I wouldn't have to peel off the acrylic cling. Sometimes it takes us oldtimers longer than it used to to figure out stuff.

Thanks for coming to my rescue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I also use my regular stamp cleaner to wash my blocks. It is a home made knock off of SU! Cleaner. Baby wash, glycerine and water. I use a pink faux car washing chamois from Walmart in the automotive dept instead of a scrubber. Jody Morrow recommended it and I'm in love! No residue even if it is pretty dirty. The chamois and cleaner work most of the time but when they get grungy, I use alcohol to get them really clean. I hear Green brand cleaner works well too though I've not tried it.

Be sure not to use Staz on for any clear stamps either. It will destroy them over time according to Nichole Heady of PTI. Love those podcasts.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 04:29 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I use two different homemade cleaners for my stamps, for rubber stamps I use a mix of 1 part simple green to 9 parts water and for clear stamps I use a mix of baby shampoo, glycern and water. They both work great! I spray it on an old towel and clean my stamps with that, when the towel is filthy I toss it in the wash and it is good as new. My stamps get cleaner that way. Before I used a scrubber but I stamp a lot and I was washing my scrubber all the time and it did not seem to clean it as well. Old towlels are cheap and work great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 04:54 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Question for y'all who make your own cleaner--where do you get the glycern/glycerine? I've read about homemade cleaners alot, but can never find the glyerine that everyone talks about?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

I buy glycerine at WalMart in the pharmacy section. Have also bought at CVS Drugs. If you don't see it ask at the pharmacy window. Usually comes in clear 6 oz. plastic bottles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I found after a lot of uses the stamp cleaner spotted up the block. I had tried putting dish soap directly onto the block and washing but it still left a sticky residue. So then I tried some Dawn dishwashing liquid and soaked my blocks in the soap/water. Rinsed them off and dried them and they were perfectly clean.

I also use a window cloth from Norwex for drying them so it cleans them as well.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

I have a question for those who use a towel for cleaning your stamps...I have a supply of cloth diapers that I had used for "spit up" when my girls were babies...I used them for dusting and cleaning around the house and I put then in the wash with clothes...If I start to use them for INK...they will be all BLACK with ink...if you was with clothes will the ink transfer...or should I wash them by themselves...I hate to wast water of SMALL loads if I don't have to.
Blessings,
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

Wow! I had seen peel n tack in the store but I didn't realize how sweet it would be for my unmounted rubber!

Thanks so much for the links!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

I clean my acrylic blocks from time to time by throwing them in the dishwasher! I take them out before the dry cycle (if I remember) and they are sparkly clean. I've left them in to heat dry and they also came out fine. Anyone know of any problems with that method?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnvalView Post
I have a question for those who use a towel for cleaning your stamps...I have a supply of cloth diapers that I had used for "spit up" when my girls were babies...I used them for dusting and cleaning around the house and I put then in the wash with clothes...If I start to use them for INK...they will be all BLACK with ink...if you was with clothes will the ink transfer...or should I wash them by themselves...I hate to wast water of SMALL loads if I don't have to.
Blessings,
Valerie
I use old towels (diapers would work super, but my baby is 3 and just toss them in when I get a load of rags (for cleaning/scrubbing). I have enough to last until I get a load as I probably wouldn't put them in with clothes unless they were my really grubby outdoor work clothes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

What are the proportions for the homemade glycerine cleaner? It said above not to use Tack and Peel on your cling stamps but what about the cling stamps that won't "cling" anymore despite using all the recommended cleaning methods for them? Will it cause them to have unremovable residue on them? I use baby wipes also to take off the major part of the ink and then spray and use my SU stamp cleaner to get in all the nooks and crannies. Thanks for any advice...

"She who lives with the most JOY wins!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2011, 05:58 AM   #34  
Inking Addict

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to know the proportions for the baby shampoo/glycerine too.

TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I use towels/face flannels for cleaning mine all the time- I just chuck them in with wok jeans/black tshirts to wash & never had any problems. re the stamp cleaner, there are a few threads, I think in the Tools & Products threads, with quite a few different recipes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
Blot off the excess ink on a baby wipe before your using your stamp scrubber and it will save a lot of washing it out! I wipe my acrylic bocks off with a baby wipe before I put them away...
I used baby wipes to clean my rubber stamps and they turned into hard rubber.is there a difference in baby wipes?
Thanks,
Jogrybali
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have cleaned my acrylic blocks in the dishwasher, too. I just put them in the top rack when I was washing a load of dishes and they came out sparkling clean!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jogrybaliView Post
I used baby wipes to clean my rubber stamps and they turned into hard rubber.is there a difference in baby wipes?
Thanks,
Jogrybali
I believe there are alcohol based, and non-alcohol based baby wipes. I also believe that it is the cheapest babywipes that tend to have alcohol in them. It is the alcohol that will damage the stamps.
A lot of stamp cleaners contain Glycerine to condition the stamp- it may be worth trying that on your hard stamps. You should be able to get it either in the bakery section (its used to help keep icing soft) or at a pharmacy.
If you check out over on Tools & Products, I think it is, you will find a few threads about creating your own stamp cleaner, and almost all contain glycerine. One or two also use baby bath lotion.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading this thread makes me realize how little I really stamp. I have never used any of my blocks enough to need to soak or wash in the dishwasher, or whathaveyou. I just wipe it on my stamp cleaner/scrubby and dry it off before putting it away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile Recipe for stamp cleaner

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCAP99View Post
I'd like to know the proportions for the baby shampoo/glycerine too.

TIA
Stamp Cleaner

3 Tablespoons of glycerin
8 ounces distilled water
1 teaspoon of baby wash

Put in bottle and shake well. It makes 8 ounces of cleaner. I keep a small spray bottle filled to clean my stamps. Works great!
Reply With Quote Likes