Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Love PTI stamps, but...

...I hate the CD case storage system.

Has anyone come up with a better way to store your clear stamps? Do you use DVD cases or a binder system? I'm just curious. I'm considering doing away with all of my wood mounted stamps entirely and going to a new format.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the 6x6 clear plastic envelopes that CTMH stamps come in for all my stamps.
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I agree. I bought the SU DVD cases and I plan to put mine in those, but have not yet. Maybe that can be a project for tonight!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree! I disliked the cd storage system pti uses. At first I put all of my pti sets in su DVD cases and I liked it for a while but.... I didn't care for how you couldn't really read all the sentiments etc easily. I wanted to be able to use the index sheets that come with them, so I decided to make my own aceate storage sheets applying the index sheets to them... The I store them in 1/2 size page protectors in jr size binders.. It wrks great. I can flip throgh my binders, see which set I want to use, and just peel it off...easy as pie and cheap too. Hope I explained it ok, can't upload pics as I am on my iPad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

So Jennifer, I had planned to stick the index sheets to the DVD cases...did you not do that for a reason? Just asking because I would love to learn beforehand if that did NOT work! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Gina K has a sort of flip binder system. Does anyone use this for their clear stamps? It does seem a little pricey, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeysView Post
So Jennifer, I had planned to stick the index sheets to the DVD cases...did you not do that for a reason? Just asking because I would love to learn beforehand if that did NOT work! LOL
Well no I didn't want to stick them to the binders ...for a couple of reasons.. One in case I didn't like it and I wanted to selloff my DVD cases, and two.. I would have had to buy about 25 new index sheets or more cause when I first got my pti sets I used the cd cases. I thought I would really like them in the DVD cases but I like just flipping through my sets to see what sentiment I want to use etc.. And it was to cumbersome with so many DVD cases. Lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Gina K has a sort of flip binder system. Does anyone use this for their clear stamps? It does seem a little pricey, though.
LMBO. I tried this system too... Hehehe I didn't like this one either... Cause when you put clear stamps on the storage panels you cant read or see whats on the panel. Lol. I do love the binders though for my cling rubber stamps. You can buy the binders from univenture.com for much cheaper too .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Maryrose. I use clear DVD plastic cases for my PTI stamps. I have 6 of the binders from Gina k with lots of extra inserts but dont really care for that system much. I think it is pretty expensive.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I unmounted all of my wood-mounted stamps, have a ton of photopolymer (used to be a CTMH consultant and have an ongoing love affair with Inkadinkado and a few others) and have tried multiple methods to streamline and have all of them in the same type of storage system. I was using the SU DVD-style cases for a while, but some stamps stuck better than others, etc. I also need a portable system, since DH and I plan to live in an RV in the next few years (yes, as our "home"). I'm currently in the process of revamping.

The "new and improved" method utilizes the Iris Photo Keepers. I also bought a truckload of laminated folders when they were on sale for "back to school" and cut them into 4" x 6" pieces (you can get six per folder). ALL of the stamps stick to the laminated surface beautifully. Seven or eight cards will fit into each photo storage box, and there are sixteen boxes in the keeper. I got mine at Michael's with a 50% off coupon.

I currently have two keepers. One keeper is for holiday/special occasion stamps, the other is for everyday/all occasion stamps. I separated the sentiment stamps from the sets, and they are filed in a 4" x 6" card file by subject/occasion. I kept stamps in sets if it mattered (like Scandinavian Season, where they're all the same style), but put like with like if it didn't (all the Inkadinkado snowmen are together, for example - not in their "sets").

The images are stamped on the back of the carrier cards, and on regular 4" x 6" index cards that I have in binders for reference (which box in which keeper, etc.), so I can find what I want quickly.

I've attached pics of the keeper and some of the cards so it makes more sense...
Attached Thumbnails
I Love PTI stamps, but...-photo-keeper-open.jpg   I Love PTI stamps, but...-cards-stamps.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm anxious to read the follow ups on this thread. I, too, dislike the cd cases and have just left them in the 6 by 6 boxes they get shipped in. That's working "OK", but it's not ideal by any stretch. I put my first set in the CD case and I really don't like that system at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

WOW! sue. great system
but i really love the SU cases(dvd0
also i love the enevolpes from CTMH. i just can never find a source for these
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

These are great ideas, everyone! Thanks so much!

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in my dislike of the CD cases!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oops! Forgot to mention that my unmounted wheels are too long for the photo boxes, and the background stamps are also too large. The background stamps are in clamshell cases (ten will fit - they are bare rubber, so I can stack them), and the "wheels" are still in DVD cases...

I also have a few Stampotique wood-mounted stamps that I can't bring myself to integrate into the system, so they just sit out on a shelf where I can look at them and smile!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I also hate the CD case storage system and keep my clear stamps in binders. I use Avery 4 x 6 mixed format photo pages for the smaller sets and clear binder pockets for full size sheets. I use thin Stufftainers for my cling stamps sorting by categories. These 2 systems have worked very well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I also use the CTMH 6X6 envelopes that Doxiegal (Sally) uses! Just love it! From there I store all of them in the collapsible crates that you can purchase at the Dollar Tree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't like the CD cases either. All my new ones are going into the empty DVDs that Stampin' Up sells. I keep them on their transfer sheets and stick them in the box. I cut a piece of copy paper to fit the DVD case, and then put the stickers on the paper. I can sometimes fit two sets in one DVD case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

How do you get the 6x6 envelopes from CTMH? I did not see them in the catalog. Do you know how much they are?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I use the Tim Holtz binders and love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

The paper CD covers...I stamp an index card to slip in and store the stamps on the sheet they come on or cut up the old clam shell boxes for more sheets...I store them in flip up CD/DVD boxes I bought at Wal-Mart...

Cheap and easy to use...
Attached Thumbnails
I Love PTI stamps, but...-scrapy-stuff-008.jpg  

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, am I glad to hear that others love PTI stamps but hate the CD cases. When the case is closed with so many stamps inside, I cannot clearly read what sentiments are there. And with a few of the sets, you have to put them in closely or they just don't fit all that well. I am glad to hear of the different ways to store them as I have decided I won't be buying anymore PTI stamps, until I figure out a better way to store them....
Thanks everyone for your input...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default CTMH Envelopes

I'm not totally, completely sure, but I think that I've found them in the catalog:
Paper/Stamp Organizer The 8 1/2" x 11" one pictured looks like the same envelope that my "E" size sets came in, so I'm guessing that the 6" x 6" envelopes are the ones that the A through D sets come in...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

I use a file that has pockets. Index label goes on one side, and stamps on the other, so I can see what it is, and if it needed more space, A4 is plenty enough ;) Then, I use the acetate it comes with and stick it to the other side so the stamps don't cling to the next page. Cheap and easy- I get each file for around USD1.40 so it's a plus for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
WOW! sue. great system
but i really love the SU cases(dvd0
also i love the enevolpes from CTMH. i just can never find a source for these
The CTMH clear plastic envelopes are in their catalog so can be ordered from any consultant...
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the storage cases that A Muse Studio sells and have slowly been putting all my sets in them, except the PTI ones! I hate the CD cases too but the sets are in there and it is too time consuming and pricey to move them.

Maybe in the future I will do it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I unmounted all of my wood-mounted stamps, have a ton of photopolymer (used to be a CTMH consultant and have an ongoing love affair with Inkadinkado and a few others) and have tried multiple methods to streamline and have all of them in the same type of storage system. I was using the SU DVD-style cases for a while, but some stamps stuck better than others, etc. I also need a portable system, since DH and I plan to live in an RV in the next few years (yes, as our "home"). I'm currently in the process of revamping.

The "new and improved" method utilizes the Iris Photo Keepers. I also bought a truckload of laminated folders when they were on sale for "back to school" and cut them into 4" x 6" pieces (you can get six per folder). ALL of the stamps stick to the laminated surface beautifully. Seven or eight cards will fit into each photo storage box, and there are sixteen boxes in the keeper. I got mine at Michael's with a 50% off coupon.

I currently have two keepers. One keeper is for holiday/special occasion stamps, the other is for everyday/all occasion stamps. I separated the sentiment stamps from the sets, and they are filed in a 4" x 6" card file by subject/occasion. I kept stamps in sets if it mattered (like Scandinavian Season, where they're all the same style), but put like with like if it didn't (all the Inkadinkado snowmen are together, for example - not in their "sets").

The images are stamped on the back of the carrier cards, and on regular 4" x 6" index cards that I have in binders for reference (which box in which keeper, etc.), so I can find what I want quickly.

I've attached pics of the keeper and some of the cards so it makes more sense...
What a great idea for storage in a small space! Have you found that the 4x6 storage cards are big enough to store even the larger sets (like SU) or do you sometimes use more than 1 card for a set?

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by doxiegalView Post
The CTMH clear plastic envelopes are in their catalog so can be ordered from any consultant...
i think i need a bulk buy or a huge sale!:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 05:21 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

I too hate the CD cases - and I wish PTI would eliminate just about all their packaging - all but the stamps and label gets tossed.
I've converted all my clear sets and a bunch of my unmounted rubber to envelopes and the outside of the envelope is a copy of the label to show what is inside. Here is a link to how I store mine:

Seaside Creativity � Blog Archive � stamp storage – progress is made!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 05:33 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a hard time with the PTI storage cases, too. Now that I am an amuse studio consultant, I prefer their DVD cases. I think I will transfer all of my PTI stamps into them.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow, there are some really creative ideas out there!

I came to a screeching halt in card making this month. I've decided that rather than give up the hobby altogether, I am going to do a major purge and get rid of a LOT of old stamps and replace them with new unmounted, esp. PTI. I figure if I sell off a lot, it may give me some cash to buy what I want! I plan on going unmounted to save storage and keep everything nice and neat. My biggest problem seems to be the clutter that comes with this craft, so I'm trying to get creative with ways to keep a handle on it and stay neat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Wow, there are some really creative ideas out there!

I came to a screeching halt in card making this month. I've decided that rather than give up the hobby altogether, I am going to do a major purge and get rid of a LOT of old stamps and replace them with new unmounted, esp. PTI. I figure if I sell off a lot, it may give me some cash to buy what I want! I plan on going unmounted to save storage and keep everything nice and neat. My biggest problem seems to be the clutter that comes with this craft, so I'm trying to get creative with ways to keep a handle on it and stay neat.
Hi maryrose! I'm happy to see this development in your card-making philosophy. It's good to know that you are strategizing and will return to the hobby .

I went through something similar when I first started stamping and just *had to have* so many old retired stamp sets - it really was a collecting phase. Then I had a change of heart and traded most of them for new sets. Of course, by then I was discovering other companies as well. And was in very early on the unmounting trend.

I have pared down my PTI sets as well. Now the only ones on my DVD (adjustable) shelves that are in CD cases are PTI and retired unmounted SU. One reason the CD cases from PTI didn't bother me so much is that when I unmounted that's how I stored all of my stamps. I still have some in 12 x 12 drawers, like Anna Wight's from Whipper Snapper, some Crafty Secrets.

Now that I have fewer PTI sets, I will probably put them into the DVD cases as well - maybe some doubling up. The PTI system has always irritated me - way too much packaging. To me, the clear boxes are a waste - and don't serve any purpose other than putting the decorative band around them. If they were sold in stores, I'd get it - they look nice - but really, the plastic box, the decorative band, the rolled up paper with the rubber band, and the tissue paper? All unnecessary. At least now, the sticker sheets don't always come rolled up. It will bother me a little bit that I won't have the sticker indexes for my old sets but I'll just stamp out my own index for the DVD cases. It will be nice not having to sqeeeeze some of the stamps into the CD cases!

Good luck with your new system, maryrose! It is the only way I can keep with stamping as well. I have to know what I have and use it or its days are numbered! I'm sending you a PM about my PTI sets headed to the Salvation Army - if you'd like them, maryrose, they're yours!!

Last edited by Phantom; 09-25-2011 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a binder system and it works really well for me. It took me about 6 weeks to get everything organized, but in the end it was really worth it. I unmounted all my stamps and combined all my stamps into binders. I use transparencies in page protectors so that if a stamp comes off the sheet, it stays in the page protector and doesn't fall out of the binder. I stamped and scanned all the stamps and printed off in reverse on the transparency and the put the stamp on the other side (so their the right way when I look at them). That way I can tell where the stamp goes and can tell what the image is. I also put a printed sheet in the page protector to make it easier to see what is on that page. I was also using some report covers that I couldn't print on, so I just used Stazon and stamped the image on those and then scanned and printed another sheet to put in the sleeve with it. I'm ok with living with a little imperfection (I married my husband didn't I? :lol::lol I also used the scanned images to create indices's of all my stamps. One general that is a basic inventory of all my stamps (its in the same order as the stamps are in the binder) and then broken up into categories. I don't keep the actual stamps in categories because I'd end up having to shift things around all the time as I added stamps to my collection. I have a couple pictures of my system on my blog if anyone is interested in taking a look: Cat Scrap Fever: Stamp Storage
ETA: I tried the SU cases and it was going to cost way too much money to fit all the stamps I have, plus I don't like the way they close. The system I use was maybe at the most $70 (I got the binders at the dollar store for $1.25 each) and that includes my paper and ink for my printer.

Last edited by cat_woman; 09-25-2011 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use the Stampin' Up plastic stamp cases. They stay closed...no more lost stamps.

I store the $5 PTI sets in the their envelopes in the CD cases.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

I really don't think there's a great storage solution when you have loads of stamps. Everything has its own pros and cons. I have mine in CD cases because it's what fits in my boxes best (and the boxes are what fit on my shelves best), but I've been pondering a switch to DVD cases too. I tried binders, but I ended up abandoning that because it was too hard for me to find a spot for my binders. CD or DVD cases are much easier for me to store in my not-very spacious craft area.

But in terms of looking for what stamps to use, the best thing I ever did was create a master index binder. I stamped each set in black on a piece of regular letter printer paper, 2 sets per page, and put them in page protectors in a binder. Now when I'm looking for something, I flip through my binder to find it, and then go looking in my boxes. It has really streamlined my process, and still satisfies my need to have everything boxed up and put away. So, while I don't love the CD case storage system, this makes it bearable and doesn't require me to purchase a new storage system, or completely overhaul my space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstampinView Post
What a great idea for storage in a small space! Have you found that the 4x6 storage cards are big enough to store even the larger sets (like SU) or do you sometimes use more than 1 card for a set?
So far I've been able to get even the larger sets on one card, but I do separate the sentiments out...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

Quote:

Mary Rose I use this system. Some binders I've bought from Gina K but mostly from here
Stamp Binder Storage System

The inserts I did buy from Gina K. I really like this system. I feel this is home for my stamps. I have a certain shelf the binders are stored on and I NEVER buy any more binders to go beyond that shelf. "Quantity Control." If I run out of shelf space I purge stamps. Good luck.

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I bought the storage cases that A Muse Studio sells and have slowly been putting all my sets in them, except the PTI ones! I hate the CD cases too but the sets are in there and it is too time consuming and pricey to move them.

Maybe in the future I will do it...

I'm doing this too. I really like these cases much better than I do those CD cases.

I took all my IPPITY stamps and started putting them in the cases. This way I will know Where my IPPITY stamps are.

Other stamps (unmounted) are still stored on White Plastic Storage boards and kept inside a 3-ringed Notebook.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 03:39 AM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not a big fan of the PTI cd cases either because I have had some of the smaller stamps fall out of the cases when they have lost their stickiness (I know if need to wash them to get the stickiness back - just haven't had time). However, I am not a big fan of the CTMH envelopes either. I find that when I want to transport a bunch of the stamps that are in the CTMH envelopes, the envelopes are very slippery and do not stack well. Many times I have picked up a stack only to have all of the envelopes in the middle of the stack fall all over the place. I also haven't found the best way to store the CTMH envelopes. I currently have them in crates from the Dollar Store, however, they stick up above the top about an inch. I can't stack the crates because of this. The CD cases fit better in the crates and are stackable. I have a couple of the CTMH storage boxes for the envelopes, but I don't really care for them either.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugtwinView Post
I'm not a big fan of the PTI cd cases either because I have had some of the smaller stamps fall out of the cases when they have lost their stickiness (I know if need to wash them to get the stickiness back - just haven't had time). However, I am not a big fan of the CTMH envelopes either. I find that when I want to transport a bunch of the stamps that are in the CTMH envelopes, the envelopes are very slippery and do not stack well. Many times I have picked up a stack only to have all of the envelopes in the middle of the stack fall all over the place. I also haven't found the best way to store the CTMH envelopes. I currently have them in crates from the Dollar Store, however, they stick up above the top about an inch. I can't stack the crates because of this. The CD cases fit better in the crates and are stackable. I have a couple of the CTMH storage boxes for the envelopes, but I don't really care for them either.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread too.
These are only two of the reasons I abandoned the CTMH envelopes. I came up with a solution (short-term) in one of the evolutions of my stamp storage system(s). I cut a transparency the same size as the carrier sheet for the stamp set and "hinged" it to the carrier sheet with tape. Then I could just have the whole stack in the crate or box or whatever and flip through them easily. I've attached a pic or two to show you what I mean.

I don't use this system any more, obviously, but it worked well for quite a while...
Attached Thumbnails
I Love PTI stamps, but...-hinged-cover-acrylic-stamp-set-small-_edited.jpg   I Love PTI stamps, but...-acrylic-stamp-organization-small-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I move all my PTI and CTMH stamps onto a two-sheet system. I buy heavy clear cardstock for this purpose (I buy them either from Flourishes.org or PTI). I cut to the same sizes as my Crafty Secrets sets (which already come like this) and store them that way. I use clear packing tape to make a hinge at the top. CTMH already has a sheet on one side, so I just cut a sheet for the other. No bulky CD cases or foam or envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes