Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anybody having any luck selling their old stuff?

I've given up stamping, and almost given up scrapbooking. I don't want or need all of the stuff I have, and I want to get rid of it, cheap. But, the buy/sell board looks like everybody else is doing the same thing, too.

I'd really like to clear out the space where all of my stamps and stuff sit, but I'm not sure where else to start.
Anybody?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #2  
Glitter Queen

I would list your items on the buy/sell board. I buy items from there all the time because my budget may not allow me to pay full price. I seriously doubt you will regret your decision.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Default selling stuff

try craigslist in your area. I have bought and sold lots of stuff on there.
Just make sure you either meet in a public spot or have someone at your home with you when a person comes over. I have only felt uncomfortable at 1 home, but I told my mom where I was going and the posting and was on the cel with her at the time..all worked out and the other 20 times have been great. Got some wonderful deals on there too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I just did an enormous craft room purge and listed everything on ebay. I did VERY well, I made about double what I thought I would. I did some things in large lots, like my SU! pads, and some things individually like stamp sets.

Of course, the photography and shipping is quite a job, but I found it well worth it!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

You can always try listing on the B/S/T board here first (no fees to pay and people don't usually expect to see a photo although the offer of providing one if required is a good move) and then if there are no takers try eBay, Craigslist or hold a garage sale. I buy stuff here sometimes, even though I'm in the UK - the exchange rate can still make it attractive and for things like Nesties or um stamps the shipping is usually not prohibitive. If you're willing to ship out of the US, mention it in your listing in case you attract extra potential buyers.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

I've sold a few stamp sets here on the B/S/T forum. I have more to add too. Whatever I can't unload here I may put on ebay. Not sure though.

My Blog- A work in progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I love shopping the B/S/T boards and ebay. I have a list of items I'm looking for, so I usually search to see if anyone has posted them...you may find there are stampers who are looking for exactly what you're offering! I recently sold a car on Craigslist and it was quick and easy and fast, so I can also recommend that site.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feel free to send me a list of the stuff you have to sell. I'm always looking for a good deal, and I have a lot of friends who do too. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Erin....even your slice?????? If you are selling that please let me know what cards you are parting with...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftsrlbView Post
try craigslist in your area. I have bought and sold lots of stuff on there.
For stamping/scrapbooking items, I would not suggest craigslist. I check our local list regularly, and the stamping stuff on there just sits and doesn't sell. IME, most people on that list are looking for things cheaply.

To the OP, I have pondered this question too for the stamps I no longer use. However, because I'd get so little money back from them, I'm sitting on them for now. Another option would be to donate to a charity/cause and get a tax write off. Just make sure to photograph and itemize your donations for your tax records.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are just getting rid of things and don't necessary want to sell them, I know that there are a few Ronald McDonald House threads where the people involved will take all good used items for the Ronald McDonald House craft rooms. At least it would be going to a good cause and you would likely be able to get rid of a bunch of stuff in one fell swoop. You might also try any local Children's Hospitals. I know there is one in Phoenix that is happy to take this sort of thing.

ALSO... if you are getting rid of any carts that can be used with either Cuttlebug or Cricuit, I'd be happy to know what you have to see if I'd like some of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold a bunch of TAC stamps. And a few other things last month.

I really needed to sell some things. Cause dh had been laid off work.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in OkcView Post
I've given up stamping, and almost given up scrapbooking. I don't want or need all of the stuff I have, and I want to get rid of it, cheap. But, the buy/sell board looks like everybody else is doing the same thing, too.

I'd really like to clear out the space where all of my stamps and stuff sit, but I'm not sure where else to start.
Anybody?
I agree there's been a lot of talk about purging and clearing out. Frankly, I think there are always going to be a lot of new stampers still craving everything, longer-term stampers who are ready for some kind of change, and every degree of stamper in between. Right now it seems like the 'time for a change' group is predominating a lot of conversations!

I purge on a regular basis -- though less and less of course each time because it's not like I go out and replace everything I sell with something new.

My favorite place to sell is the BST forum here. Except for the restriction of current SU, it's pretty simple and straightforward. And I've made some wonderful friendships here too.

I have a listing right now -- just CHF. I had listed some SU, Papertrey and Artistic Outpost. The AO sold in one fell swoop! Some of the PTI went quickly but I used to consider PTI a guarantee of getting 40% of my cost back . . . no longer true.

Those that didn't sell, I think I'm just going to donate to the Salvation Army store (stamps do not sell in yard sales around here). I've managed to "earn" quite a few SU sets over the years, and have sold some of my free PTI sets, too, so I'm not looking at is as a monetary loss. I feel kind of bad taking them off the post simply because it's always nice to find that perfect match between item and buyer, and know that someone specific is excited to get it! But my padded envelope supply is dwindling, and even though shipping isn't any big deal for small sales, I just don't want to be tied down to it right now - too much else to do. But since the CHF isn't available for retail purchase, I decided to leave those in.

I think I know where you're coming from Erin, that you're willing to sell cheap but it looks like everyone is doing that. I guess it all depends on what you have and luck - that the right person will see your post. There are always a ton of posts here and a lot of people have low prices --- but if you keep your listing bumped up and keep it current, it's a pretty low-maintenance way to sell.

I also often offer a discount for the purchase of multiple items. For example, the person who bought all of my Artistic Outpost stamps -- sure, I lost $ considering the original cost, but I had used the stamps, so I did get some benefit from them. And by letting them go, I made another stamper very happy, and gained $50 and some much-needed space (AO stamp sets are big!).

And I'll share a little secret that used to work great when I had wood-mounted SU sets to sell. I would store them out of the way on a shelf in the closet. Sure enough, the harder they were to get at, the faster they sold, LOL!! And usually I dropped a set or two on my head retrieving them ;^) . Boy, I don't miss wood-mounted stamp sets for lots of reasons!!

If you can pack up your stuff in labeled boxes so it's no longer in your way, listing on BST is a pretty easy way to go.

I'd also recommend keeping a text file for yourself of your post. Sometimes they disappear. I believe they delete them after 30 days, but mine used to stay around a lot longer. Caught me by surprise the last time. So if you keep an updated copy for yourself, you can copy & paste it back in if your post gets deleted.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 04:33 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you, Erin! It seems like an overwhelming task. I've decided to keep my stuff in storage for a while, just to give myself time to decide if I'm really done with it. If I am truly ready to part with it, then I think I'll wait for the big neighborhood garage sale next spring. One tip that has always helped me is to advertise my sale on Craigslist and to post photos and lists of certain items that will be in the sale. That seems to lure them my way.

I have an armoire in my office that I am planning on using as my craft cupboard. While I am not totally giving up crafting, I am giving up card making, so I won't need the enormous amounts of paper associated with this craft. I will hold on to some items for future crafting (ribbons, baker's twine, buttons, some brads, felty flowers, glitter glue, a black ink pad, etc.), and get rid of others (ink pads in every color of the rainbow, too many punches to count, stamp sets, etc.). I think the card making was too limiting for me, and I'm ready to branch out.

I do feel as though the market gets saturated with craft stuff and it becomes harder and harder to sell it. Stamp sets really do have a shelf life, and once they've expired, you have a hard time even giving them away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I had a lot of success selling my older items at a craft garage sale organized by my LSS. If there isn't that opportunity available to you in your area, you could look for other general garage sales to be a part of, or just have your own. There are garage sale-ers of all kinds out there looking for a deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

let me know if you have any Flourishes sets for sale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

I am always cleaning out my stamps and supplies. I do pretty well selling mine at Etsy under supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes