Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost ready to cave in

I never thought I would say this, but I am almost ready to cave in and go digital for "some" stamps
The space I have to store regular stamps is at a premium. Too often I see one image that I like in a set and can't justify spending $20 + on a set for one stamp.
I don't sell my cards I only make them for family and a few friends. A $20 stamp for one card is too much for me to spend. I have seen digitals for around $4 and that would be fine.
I know my HP printer will print on Neenah Classic Crest so I can color them with my Copics
Do these digitals come in Vector formate so I can resize them?
What else do I need to know to start down this digi path?
Is there a thread for basic info on digi's ?
Thanks
Barbara Jay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most digis come in either jpg or png file formats, but they are large enough scale & resolution that they can be resized. Other than printing out on your cardstock and how to resize is all you really need to know. If you're comfortable using a graphics program you can mask stamps and create collages to make scenes as well. There are a lot of thread in this topic here. A search of the forum will bring up just about anything you need to know. I haven't bookmarked any of them since I've been doing digi for about 10 years, but the information is easy enough to find.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts
Smile

Here are some videos on youtube that might be helpful.
YouTube - ‪How To Download, Re-size, and Print Digital Stamps‬‏
YouTube - ‪How to Download, Open and Print Digital Stamps‬‏

I usually save my images in "My Pictures", and I print them onto white cardstock. I took the advice of one of the posters here, and when I get ready to print, I change the paper description to "photo paper" in the properties link before I print. I don't use photo paper, but regular cardstock, but it prints it perfect, and the black printing ink doesn't smear when I get ready to color them with markers etc...
I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Ooooo, take the plunge! I was reluctant at first too. I finally jumped in with both feet and I only very rarely buy rubber anymore! I love the price, the flexibility, and the storage! Make sure you back up your purchases! Also, I have an inkjet printer and Copic Markers. You may want to try heat setting your images before you colour them (with your heat tool). Or I often take my printed images to Staples to photocopy them onto my cardstock. That way I don't have to worry about a spot I may have missed with my heat tool. Good luck!
Digital Scrapbooking Challenges are back! Digi Scrapping Challenge Team

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working." Pablo Picasso
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Missed this, I love them do it Barbara. I felt the same way and now am thinking of selling wood mounted stamps. I love digitals!

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I hope it's ok for me to add on. Can you still do Stampscape type scenes with digi's? I have looked and looked for this info. I am either wording it wrong or it's not possible. Is masking still possible so we can do our ink techniques? Last but not least what can you not do with digi's that you can with rubber. I am about ready to go completely digital too but I still have a few things I am hesitant about.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #7  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I hope it's ok for me to add on. Can you still do Stampscape type scenes with digi's? I have looked and looked for this info. I am either wording it wrong or it's not possible. Is masking still possible so we can do our ink techniques? Last but not least what can you not do with digi's that you can with rubber. I am about ready to go completely digital too but I still have a few things I am hesitant about.
You can do scenery with digis. You just need to learn how to do it on your computer so that it's all done before you print it out. This is something that I'm still learning.

What kind of masking are you thinking? You can print out an image, cut it out and then use it as a mask to ink around it. Is that what you are thinking? I know there is a way to combine digis on your computer so that one covers part of another (rather than having them both show through) before you print them out.

What can you not do? I'm not sure. I've paper pieced with digis (it's just a slightly different process than with stamping), I've seen embossing, people print the images out in different colours like you've stamped it with a coloured ink pad. What are you wanting to do? We can figure out if it can be done!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 01:37 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarhanView Post
You can do scenery with digis. You just need to learn how to do it on your computer so that it's all done before you print it out. This is something that I'm still learning.

What kind of masking are you thinking? You can print out an image, cut it out and then use it as a mask to ink around it. Is that what you are thinking? I know there is a way to combine digis on your computer so that one covers part of another (rather than having them both show through) before you print them out.

What can you not do? I'm not sure. I've paper pieced with digis (it's just a slightly different process than with stamping), I've seen embossing, people print the images out in different colours like you've stamped it with a coloured ink pad. What are you wanting to do? We can figure out if it can be done!
Thank you for the help. I love to do Stampscapes so this is good news. Digital tutorials are hard to find. I did read in this current issue of RubberStampMadness that they are going to start taking digital work. Hopefully, there will be tutorials.

Yes, that is the masking that I am thinking of.

I guess the only limitations to digital I can think of are stamping on a variety of materials that do not go through your printer well such as acetate.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #9  

I'm pretty sure that you can photocopy onto acetate, or at the very least a printable overhead transparancy, though I've never tried it. I have kept my favourite rubber stamps (and by new ones occasionally) so that I can still do stuff like that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

A lot of people feel they are limited by digis. I say that's entirely not true. I can do just about any technique with my digis that a traditional stamper can. The one thing that most "uninformed" stampers say is "oh but you can't emboss" since its probably THE most used technique. I haven't had any luck with pouring the embossing powder on the image as it comes out of the printer, but I did discover that if I coat my paper with a sealer or transparent gel medium, the ink will sit on top and not be absorbed into the paper when it goes through the printer. I can then put embossing powder on it and emboss just as if I had hand stamped the image. Sometimes, it takes more steps to achieve the same effect, but a lot of times, its easier and has much cleaner results doing techniques in digi. Have fun with your digis and don't be afraid to try any of the old techniques you used with rubber stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
A lot of people feel they are limited by digis. I say that's entirely not true. I can do just about any technique with my digis that a traditional stamper can. The one thing that most "uninformed" stampers say is "oh but you can't emboss" since its probably THE most used technique. I haven't had any luck with pouring the embossing powder on the image as it comes out of the printer, but I did discover that if I coat my paper with a sealer or transparent gel medium, the ink will sit on top and not be absorbed into the paper when it goes through the printer. I can then put embossing powder on it and emboss just as if I had hand stamped the image. Sometimes, it takes more steps to achieve the same effect, but a lot of times, its easier and has much cleaner results doing techniques in digi. Have fun with your digis and don't be afraid to try any of the old techniques you used with rubber stamps.
Really?? Wow Thanks! I love gold or silver embossing for holiday cards and thought I could not do that with digi's
What type of sealer or transparent gel medium do you use??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Thank you for the help. I love to do Stampscapes so this is good news. Digital tutorials are hard to find. I did read in this current issue of RubberStampMadness that they are going to start taking digital work. Hopefully, there will be tutorials.

Yes, that is the masking that I am thinking of.

I guess the only limitations to digital I can think of are stamping on a variety of materials that do not go through your printer well such as acetate.
I have a transparency setting on my HP printer that will print on vellum or acetate . Check your "paper type" setting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I have a transparency setting on my HP printer that will print on vellum or acetate . Check your "paper type" setting.
I do have that setting. I forgot I can use it with acetate. Thank you for the reminder.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Really?? Wow Thanks! I love gold or silver embossing for holiday cards and thought I could not do that with digi's
What type of sealer or transparent gel medium do you use??
I can't find my gel medium right now, but I bought mine at Michaels in the art supply section. I think the brand is Liquitex and I bought matte because I didn't want it to be shiny like my embossing. Basically, its like acrylic paint without any pigment. I just brush it on the paper, let it dry and then run it through my printer. Its somewhat flexible, so it won't crack when going through the printer. The spray sealant I use is Prismacolor brand and I bought that at Michaels in the art supply section also. Spray it on the paper, let it dry and then run it through your printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use digis all the time, havent much lately but, my regular stamps have been neglected too lol
Just need to get myself to start creating again. Sometimes orders take over that I lose my mojo after making a lot of one thing.
But I say go for it ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I posted this in another thread earlier, but thought it also fit here:

I would just like to add that it's important to plan and implement a system for keeping track of the digital images you acquire. More than once I've purchased a digi I already own a SECOND time because I'd forgotten I already purchased it! (If it was cute the first time, it was still cute the second time!)

For my system, I created several Word documents, each with a theme, and placed a copy of each digi in the appropriate document along with the name of the artist/company from where I got it. For example, I have a Word document called Aliens, Robots, and Monsters. Any digi that falls into this category goes there with the artist/company information. I have also set up files on a separate storage unit for each artist/company I purchase from and store the original digis there for future access.

I did not start this process in the beginning and, as a result, have lost many of the images I first purchased. If you start out your digital stamp journey with a system, you'll be much happier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been doing digi's for the last year; and use my paint program to resize the images, though it doesn't layer like the expense softwares.( I don't have a current word software for my windows 7). I can resize any image and it works for me. I have gone to saving my images by company name on a USB memory stick, which are so available in any discount store on sale now. Then I make a copy of each image and catorgorize in a three ring binder by alphabet according to company. I wouldn't wait, as I can see where these type of images are getting a little more expensive, then they have been.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampencamperView Post
I have been doing digi's for the last year; and use my paint program to resize the images, though it doesn't layer like the expense softwares.( I don't have a current word software for my windows 7). I can resize any image and it works for me. I have gone to saving my images by company name on a USB memory stick, which are so available in any discount store on sale now. Then I make a copy of each image and categorize in a three ring binder by alphabet according to company. I wouldn't wait, as I can see where these type of images are getting a little more expensive, then they have been.
I totally agree that the time to set up a system is when you begin something! If a person waits it can get overwhelming .

I have only saved things to a CD. I have never saved to a Memory stick. Can you keep adding files to a Memory stick?

If I understand you correcting you have a Memory Stick for each company or artist. Correct?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree that it's imperative to have a storage system for your digi's *before* you start. You should be able to add/subtract files from a memory stick forever - but don't rely on this only! DH had a memory stick that quit working one day, thankfully with stuff that was easily replaced. Remember to back up your computer - just in case!
As for limits, well I am pretty limited by my printer. I can't send very thick c/s through it. So heavy weights of Neenah just won't go. I managed to send a small piece of watercolor paper through once (attached it to a piece of copy paper) but the ink ran pretty much everywhere when I tried to do a 'wet' technique - even after heat setting. Obviously there are some surfaces that you will never be able to do - curved or heavily textured, glass or tile, etc. Color matching can be a real pain (doable, but painful) and there are some colors that you will not be able to print. Light gray? Yes. Silver? Not so much! (unless you decide to emboss)
I *love* that the new digi can be any size! Teeny tiny fairies or one great big one - the flexibility is awesome! And the variety of images and image types is astounding. I think digital stamps don't have to appeal to the masses - they can be appealing to just a small group of people and still be profitable enough to keep around. No more searching ebay for the stamp you missed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

My interest in Digi's is because I only make cards for my family and a few friends. There are many times I see a stamp I like but I can't justify the cost for just one or two cards.
My research as shown that most digis are $3-5 . I can justify that
I downloaded two free digi images to see if they would work for me.

I was pleased my printer ink doesn't smear with Copic and the printer will also accept cardstock. So two questions answered.
When I bought my printer I went through the Pre-Purchase feature at HP. I told them what I needed and they recommended a printer.
I have an HP Officejet 6500

Now I need to learn to use the Photo Shop Elements that my daughter bought for me for Mother's Day (:rolleyes so I can place an image on the paper where I want it and use multiple images on the same sheet.. I don't want to waste paper and print just one image on a full sheet of cardstock. I want to divide the paper in 4 sections ( 4 & 1/4 " x 5 & 1/2" ) and print 4 images on one page.

I think I will always want traditional stamps , but I want to add the digital format too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Youtube has some great tutorials for Photo Shop Express. I have learned a lot there!

I usualy open a 'blank' canvas 8.5 x 11 and arrange the stamp/s I want on there.. I can build a scene or have them seperated to cut out or use nestibilities on. -Another bonus to digis - you can print them to fit into the shape/size nestibility you want to use.

I gave over 60 POUNDS of wooden stamps away to friends.:shock: I just don't have the room! I did keep about 100 of them but I refuse to buy more wood. I also have a spinner rack that has my clear stamps on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #22  
Inking Addict

With a little time you can accumulate a huge quantity of free digital stamps. You just have to search the internet.

I created folders with different categories and that's how I sort my digi prints. My problem is remembering to label them so I can remember who to give the credit to.

I only buy digis now to enter contests since there are just so many freebies out there. I must have hundreds and hundreds of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I am tackling my first digi. My granddaughter asked me to make a Baby Shower card for her best friend. The theme is frogs. I don't have any frog stamps and Lisa gave me short notice so I can't order one and get in time. So-o-o-o- I found a cute Free Digi and I am going to make a card from that.
I resized it in Pages ( the word program for a Mac) and I think it will look nice.
I will post it in the Gallery when i finish it.

I can see great value in digis for images that we need in a hurry or that will only be used once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Well, I am tackling my first digi. My granddaughter asked me to make a Baby Shower card for her best friend. The theme is frogs. I don't have any frog stamps and Lisa gave me short notice so I can't order one and get in time. So-o-o-o- I found a cute Free Digi and I am going to make a card from that.
I resized it in Pages ( the word program for a Mac) and I think it will look nice.
I will post it in the Gallery when i finish it.

I can see great value in digis for images that we need in a hurry or that will only be used once.
Good for you, Barbara! When we introduced digis to our line back in February 09 many of our customers were skeptical....basically because it was a pretty new concept and people didn't truly understand it. Digis have grown tremendously in popularity since then and while digis will never replace true stamping (that would be terrible!!) they are a wonderful addition to a stampers "tool-chest" . They are perfect for those last minute needs like you mentioned!

I hope you enjoy this new adventure!

Korin Sutherland
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

One of the aspects that has encouraged me to try Digis are the prices. Most I have seen are $2.50-4.50 and no shipping costs . When I will only use an image once or twice that is a managable price.

I am happy the stores that sell them also offer some free ones to try. I downloaded two free Digi images to see if my printer ink would smear with Copics and it did not. I also checked to see if my printer would accept card stock and it did.

Then I played with resizing and was succesful. I would have never tried them without the free ones to try.

I will check out your site.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for all the good information. I have used some digis and like them, but am pretty unhandy with using them - I have not purchased any photo programs, so that is one reason.
A couple of issues for me...
Naming the file, so I can locate it easily and also know the origin. Sometimes I can do that when I download it - but sometimes the download just sort of happens, and no options are presented.

I think the above is the reason for issue number 2 - I have won a few digis (through challenges) and, once downloaded, they are never to be found on my computer. ( I must say that owners of the digi sites have been very understanding - I just cannot figure things out on my end!) I will be watching for any suggestions.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsdasView Post
Naming the file, so I can locate it easily and also know the origin. Sometimes I can do that when I download it - but sometimes the download just sort of happens, and no options are presented.
There is a setting on your machine that will always ask where you want to save your file. Different machines/browsers have it in a different area - I use Firefox and had to find it in the browser tools menu.
Otherwise, if you're using a windows machine (I know nothing about Mac) there should be a folder labeled "My Downloads" which is where most things will save automatically. If you right click your mouse over the start icon (lower left - where you shut down) you should get the option to open Windows Explorer. Scroll around and look for it, then look to see if that's where your stuff is saving.
I've personally created a file folder called Stamping with sub-folders for different things. One is called Digis and has two sub-folders: Paid and Freebie (if I ever *win* something I would have to add a folder for that too ;)) In each of those folders I have a bunch of sub-folders with the name of the artist - so I have a Mo Manning folder in both places because I have freebies and images that I bought from Mo. Make sense?
I suppose that I could have just made folders for each person and then divided them into paid and freebie - but I have a *lot* more freebies than anything else.
Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Here are how to handle downloads on a Mac
Set up a file(s) for your Digi's

When the download come it has a little magnifying glass on the lower right side. Click on the magnifying glass and it will "unzip it" and show it in the Downloads folder

The file has a little blue file folder to the left of the name given by the designer. Drag the file out to your desk top . You can rename it there so you will recognize it in the future.

To rename it put your cursor on the name , click once and it will turn blue. Hold your cursor down "again" and it will turn white so you can type over the name.
BESURE to leave the .extension as is . If it is .jpg or .png don't touch the dot or the extension after it.

Then go to Finder and locate and OPEN the file where you want to save it
Drag it from your Desk Top and drop it into the folder

I have one that is named Digis

If you have lost a download there is a file in "Finder" for Downloads and you can retrieve it from there
The finder icon is on the left side of your dock , It looks like a square blue face.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I've just made some quick videos showing how I get digis ready for projects in Microsoft Word if they're of any help

Preparing Digital Stamps for Printing in MS Word

Changing the Colour of Digital Stamps in MS Word

Adding Text to Digital Stamps in MS Word
Reply With Quote Likes