Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever?

Had anyone want to purchase cards and not pay you for them? I had a girl that I work with order 20 baby shower invitations, she wanted elephants and the colors are brown, orange and blue (they are on my blog) I gave her the price and she loved the cards, it was exactly what she wanted. She told me she would be in on Friday to pick them up and pay. Friday came and went, so I figured she ment payday Friday, and that day came and went.
I guess I am wondering of you would say something to her or not. I went out and purchased the stamp (one I wanted anyway), and the paper.
I had found out this is not the first time she has done something like this. :???:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

That's terrible! I would be mad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they printed with her specific information, or are they generic enough that you may be able to resell?

I've sold some things in the past, and am looking to do so again for the upcoming holiday season. I think this is an unfortunate reminder that sometimes it may be worth asking for a deposit ahead of time for completely customized orders.

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by turkiView Post
Are they printed with her specific information, or are they generic enough that you may be able to resell?

I've sold some things in the past, and am looking to do so again for the upcoming holiday season. I think this is an unfortunate reminder that sometimes it may be worth asking for a deposit ahead of time for completely customized orders.
There is nothing personal printed inside. It was just the colors, they are not baby colors. I am planning on selling them at a craft show this fall. Worst case if they do not sell I will cut the elephant out and use on other projects. my husband has mentioned a deposit also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocbdrbView Post
That's terrible! I would be mad!
I am mad; but also looking at this as a lesson learned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #6  
Bunny's SunnyChick

I am so sorry! It stinks when people act so ugly. I agree with your hubby from now on a substantial deposit would be a great idea. Not too high but enough that people will not want to lose it and walk away with nothing.
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm... probably a deposit on that large an order would be a good idea. I haven't been stiffed yet, once I wondered if the person had forgotten and I mentioned and they apologized for it slipping my mind.

It is a good reminder for the rest of us, and I hope you can make good of it somehow. Do you think if you gave her a call, she would come for them? Say they are made, as per her wishes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

It is very sad that she did this to you..especially if you see her and work in the same place...shame on her. I think it is her loss...I wonder though if something is going on in her personal life that perhaps you do not know about. I wish she would communicate with you though...amazing what a difference a bit of communication will do for any situation. I hope you are able to get a good price when you sell in the fall.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I did have something similar happen, but it was family. My cousin was getting married, and I told her I would do her invites as her gift. It took months to get her to tell me what she wanted, then about six weeks before the wedding, she got back to me. I spent an entire weekend cutting, stamping, embossing and assembling, and she didn't even send them out! I also made thank you cards that went unused. She handed out the invites as favours for the wedding. I was so, so mad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysheroView Post
I did have something similar happen, but it was family. My cousin was getting married, and I told her I would do her invites as her gift. It took months to get her to tell me what she wanted, then about six weeks before the wedding, she got back to me. I spent an entire weekend cutting, stamping, embossing and assembling, and she didn't even send them out! I also made thank you cards that went unused. She handed out the invites as favours for the wedding. I was so, so mad.

That is so sad. Did she even thank you or used the thank you cards?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Yes I have. It was a girl I work with. She gave me some photo booth pics of her and he boyfriend and asked me to make them into a birthday card for him. OK there was no colouring so it was quite an easy job but i left it in work for her as we were working different days and apart from a message saying thanks, there was no mention of how much? Her mum also works for me and also didn't ask how much and has she paid me. I think it was assumed I'd do it for a favour as she's only 17 and on low wages. Never again peeps. If it had been 20 cards I'd have been gutted. Nobody likes having to ask for money but nobody should have to. End of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I would definitely say something, or send a quick e-mail, just something like "Hey, I got your cards all finished, let me know when you'd like to pick them up/they are waiting for you at work, btw cost is $xx" Just keep is simple and nice but I wouldn't let it go with out at least giving her a chance to come through.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

One of the reason why I don't do customisation is that design can be too specific. For large orders always ask for a deposit or advance full payment. Just say that u need the $$ to get the materials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I like Heather's idea. It's nonconfrontational and just a reminder, then if she doesn't respond, at least you know you did what you could. I think people don't mean to be disrespectful, they just have no idea of the amt of time and work and money involved. I have learned only to give my "good stuff" to those that appreciate it, the others get 50 cent cards from the dollar tree. LOL Your hubby's idea for a deposit is a good idea, that makes it a more "professional" relationship. Hoping she'll do the right thing.
Kathy T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I would say something to her. I am glad you can sell them if she does not want them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookView Post
I would definitely say something, or send a quick e-mail, just something like "Hey, I got your cards all finished, let me know when you'd like to pick them up/they are waiting for you at work, btw cost is $xx" Just keep is simple and nice but I wouldn't let it go with out at least giving her a chance to come through.
I would do exactly this. Either a nice simple email reminder, or a phone call. There's nothing wrong with calling her and asking in the same way heather said, "hey, i have your baby cards here - did i misunderstand the date you were going to pick them up?" then let her take over the conversation from there. If something did come up and she can't pay for them, I would be disappointed of course; but I would be nice. Of course your time and materials are important; but kindness and understanding will get you further in life than your cards will.

You can call me a sucker, but I would actually give them to her and say - just pay me when you get a chance. Then I would walk away and forget about them forever. If she pays me - great. If she doesn't - what's the big deal really? Unless they are made of gold.

Set of cards - $20.00
Kindness - Priceless
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

Thanks for all the great ideas, they all are great. I know in the future, I will charge the deposit 1/2 up front. I will give her a call and see what is going on.
I will say I do like the "cards 20.00 "kindness priceless". However I would not apply this to this sale. I have alot of girls at work that buy and pay for my cards all the time, and I would not like to upset them.
Thank you again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Jan, I hope this issue gets resolved...it has to be frustrating!

I had something similar happen, although it wasn't a special order. I had a basket of cards that I showed to a woman at church, who I taught Sunday School with. She picked out and took a lot of cards and told me she'd pay me later. I finally collected payment, but I had to ask her many times for the money. As I'm thinking about this, I remember now that after this incident she asked me to make some special cards for her daughter's friend who was moving. Silly me, I did it and have never gotten paid! Boy do I feel like a dope...I had forgotten all about this! The kicker to me is that I knew her through church....

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I guess I'm not as forgiving as I should be but I would definitely mention the cards to her. If she didn't take them and pay for them I would do whatever with them. Then when miss amnesia asked about them I would tell her I don't have them anymore. I wouldn't make her any other cards either. Snooze you lose.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearycreativeView Post
That is so sad. Did she even thank you or used the thank you cards?
Sadly, Jan, she hasn't. Lesson learned, though. I hope your coworker comes through and gets the cards. I saw them on your blog, and they are gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 04:12 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

I really beleive people do know understand how much work and time we put into our cards. when she looked at the cards she was amazed that I colored all the elephants. What is sad is I think people think that because the card is handmade that it is not worth that much, but the truth is they are worth more than anything you can purchase in the store, pur cards are unique. I know this was a vaulable lessoned learned, and it will not happen again. I will collect a deposit.

Angela
How long has it been since you have made the cards for her daughter? I would just let this one go and next time she ask I would collect payment up front.

Last edited by bearycreative; 08-22-2011 at 04:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Jan, it has been a looong time since delivering the cards. I had completely forgotten about it until I was posting here. We switched churches, so we don't have to drive to a different town; I don't see this woman anymore. I hope her daughter enjoyed sending the cards to her friend...it certainly isn't her fault her Mom is a flake! I get the feeling her Mom has pulled this kind of thing before...her annoyance when I asked for payment, telling me the check was in the mail, etc. Sad to see that this teacher, both by profession and volunteer, isn't a good role model for kids. Good grief!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

***** UPDATE***** I had called her today before leaving for work and left a message, just asking if she still wanted the invitions. She had called me back within the hour and said that she was going to see me today to pay for them. She came to my office while on her break, paid and picked up the cards. She was thrilled with the cards and kept apologizing about the delay. She also wants to order more cards.
Thank you all for all the great tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Glad it got resolved! Get a depost from her for the next order though ;)

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good news!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I made baby cards that our nephew's daughter could use for thank you cards for her twins. She loved them at the shower but no one has seen one nor has anyone received a thank you from her!! UGH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Catlay, that's terrible and very rude.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I just finished 150 shower invitation cards, and these are my gift to the expectant mother. And I am showing up for the shower emptyhanded, gonna eat some cake, and look at the gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLORView Post
I just finished 150 shower invitation cards, and these are my gift to the expectant mother. And I am showing up for the shower emptyhanded, gonna eat some cake, and look at the gifts.
I wouldn't consider that "emptyhanded"!!!! 150 - that makes me exhausted just thinking about making that many! The cost of materials and the cost of your time is a very generous gift. Did you post the pics here?
Reply With Quote Likes