Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you consider before buying...

..... New stamps? I have a ton that I have never even inked..but I "just LOVED them" I do need some new things right now (I LOVE to color) and have been lurking around but find myself a bit hindered by the past.

Do you have certain projects in mind before you buy in order to figure out if the cost is worth it? Do you just buy versatile stamps that can be used more than once?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 359 Likes on 185 Posts

I just buy what I love. I'm often surprised that what I choose isn't a favorite of others in my group. Sometimes they rave about a set that does nothing for me. After 5 years of stamping I know my style so I just try not to be swayed by others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Same here- I buy what I like, but I am not into SU, so don't get into the sets thing. I usually buy u/m 'arty' style stamps, ou u.m sheets- like non sequiteur, Chocolate Baroque, Paper Artsy, Crafty Individuals and Stamp Francisco.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I buy what I like too..and lots of it...unfortunately I sometimes dont remember to get them out and use them. I have so many stamps just calling my name to come use them. I need to quit buying and use..lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too buy what I love. And I love Stamp set's. But I also mix and match with other stamp companies.

I love to color too.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I started out, I bought stamps that represented things I love -- water, nature, books, animals (realistic). I'm still drawn to those but they have to be really special for me to buy them.

I expect all of my stamps to be used more than once and don't think I've ever bought something for a specific project.

Now, if I look for anything, I want something different. I'm going to check out some of silverwolf's links that I haven't been to before!

I'd keep an eye on this company b/c it' s a style I've never really done: Shop
but the price for a non-member is high for a 4 x 6 set, so that's always a consideration, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yikes, I could go b-roke at Chocolate Baroque!!!! Although some of them are similar to things I'm working on myself -- there are many I would buy if I could only decide, LOL!!

Thanks (I think) Silverwolf!! :^)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Yikes, I could go b-roke at Chocolate Baroque!!!! Although some of them are similar to things I'm working on myself -- there are many I would buy if I could only decide, LOL!!

Thanks (I think) Silverwolf!! :^)
Me too! There were several full sheets I could love.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I buy what I like, and I like alot. I also do buy for a given project and can usually find several other stamps that need to come along also!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My first consideration is if I really like what I see, and the second is price. If I can't bring myself to pay what they want for it, no matter how much, I don't buy it. Luckily, things go on sale, clearance, etc. and I most often end up with it anyway. Lately, I've been trying not to buy (and have been fairly successful with it) since I have so much stuff that I haven't used yet. Plus, I'm starting a new job and won't have as much time to do my crafts, so I don't want to stress myself out anymore than I already will be by thinking about all the stuff I bought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I've bought a few sets that were just so cool looking to me only to find out they were hard to use. One example is SU's bar codes set. I still think it's so witty and fun, but boy is that set hard to use. Not tons of examples in the gallery either. I still love it though.

I now cruise the gallery and if there are at least two or three really great ideas with a set I love I do order it. I do have a few sets that have not met up with any ink yet but I know they will! I got SU's Sew Suite last winter and have not used it. I just love that pin cushion and tape measure. I don't even sew. One thing is if they would add some sentiments to these specialty sets that would help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd say that about 75% of the stamps I purchase, I buy because I can envision different techniques with them, which to me makes them versatile. I like sets that have elements in them so I can create my own scene/picture with them. I see lots of nice images but I don't buy them coz I doubt I'll use them. I do have sets that I've rarely used despite thinking that they would be versatile. Maybe like a previous poster mentioned, they look good but are 'hard' to use.

The last set I ordered barely met my 'versatility' criteria. I bought it purely and simply because it was called Audrey (by Unity), which is also the name of my DD. As soon as I saw it on prerelease I rang a stamp shop in my country and asked them to get it in for me. I didn't even ask the price. Didn't matter. Luckily it does have some stamps in the set that I'll definitely get some good use out of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 130 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad you asked that - the question sure made me think. I joined an SU group, primarily for 'girl time', not because of any overwhelming interest in stamping. Initially, I bought flower stamps, because I love flowers. I sure haven't used them! Mostly, I use birthday, get well, sympathy greetings, and I like sets that include appropriate illustrations to go with the saying.

I bought my last few sets with specific ideas in mind - Beware Pirates for 'cruise gifts' for my Disney cruise - already made 100 sets of them - and the doilies set - which I used to make background paper for a gift scrapbook - again probably 100 impressions of the entire set. Then there's the ornaments for my holiday cards . . .

But don't hold your breath waiting for me to sell my unused flowers ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #14  

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm....... Chocolate (Baroque)!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I buy what I like and think I'll use. Since I've been stamping for almost 20 years, I have a lot of stamps. I'm careful of what I buy because there are so many stamps and sets that are similar to what I have. I bought a few SU wood stamp sets because I used to go to a demo's house for card making and we had to buy $15 worth of stuff, but I found I really didn't care for the sets - too many of the stamps in a set were not what I liked or I had something like it already. I do buy clear stamp sets when I know I'll use most of the stamps. Price matters - I wouldn't spend tons of money on a stamp or set unless I felt I would use it over and over again. I don't buy stamps for specific projects but will buy mostly for holidays and birthdays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I tend to buy what I like and then figure out a project afterwards.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Love my stamps

I have bought stamps for a variety of reasons. Usually because I love it, but have bought them before for a specific technique (which usually turned out to be really cool and it made me try something different) or I have bought some because they were such a good deal I couldn't pass them up (like at used rubber stamping sales for 25 cents, etc.) Unfortunately, I do have stamps that I haven't inked yet or made a card but I still love them...I'm just waiting for more time in my life to devote to my hobby (like retirement!). I will say that I could stop buying and get along just fine with what I have. Sometimes I think the smart thing to do is to not buy stamps but focus more on inks, paper and techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

I think if I buy what I like I'll find enough ways to use it for it to be worth it. Very occasionally I've bought something for a specific purpose, but as I tend to get less use from that type of purchase, I'd mostly rather improvise for those occasions. I did buy a Penny Black baseball stamp when my nephew was younger, but I had to work hard to produce several different cards for him with the same stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I buy what I love and what calls to me. I do try to buy versatile. In all my years of stamping I can say I hardly have any rubber stamp purchases that I regret. I do ink every single stamp I buy. I know sometimes the stamp looks prettier on the block than it does on paper.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 03:45 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I buy stamps to add to my collection.

When I started stamping, I bought a ton of stuff (just like so many of us!). Most of it has never been used. I find that if I buy a set for a specific reason, I have better luck actually using the stamps. I do still belong to a club where I get a stamp each month, and I hope to one day actually use some of these too - LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I almost never make any projects - I mostly make only cards. Once in a while I'll make a calendar, for my own personal use 'cause I'm too lazy to buy one, but I won't decorate it nicely or anything. Usually when I see stamps I love, I start envisioning cards I could make with them. Then I have to stop and see if the stamps are clear or not. Sometimes if they are not, I'll pass, especially if they are those 2-step stamps, or scenery stamps (where it would be helpful to see EXACTLY where the image would go). I sometimes buy stamps I don't like all that much, but that is because I have two nephews, and I get sick of stamping the same cars, trucks and planes over and over and over and over. If I didn't buy new stamp sets of cars, I'd be forced to DRAW new cars, which is even worse!! As they develop new interests, I'll buy new sets according to what they are interested in, even if I'm not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh Sophie, if we could all draw like you do who would need stamps?

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

*grin*Thanks Jean! But it takes SO LONG to draw something. Why draw when one can stamp instead? *grin*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I buy random things. Sometimes for one use. I just bought the Cheery Lynn screen door die and screens just to send a card to my niece, who is 2, and spent time this summer hanging out between the house door and the screen door. She fits perfectly. She can open the house door but not the screen, so she would go watch her older brother playing outside. I have no idea what else I will use if for... Kinda spendy for one specific card, lol.

As for stamps- I am trying not to buy stuff similar to what I already have.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Sophie, you are so welcome. I love your creations, I personally don't draw. :( Anne I too am trying to stay away from the similar stuff. Some companies things all resemble each other.

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I tend to buy random things that take my fancy and hope to try something new or images I like that I was wowed/ inspired by in other crafty folks's creations. That is a biggie for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
Do you have certain projects in mind before you buy in order to figure out if the cost is worth it? Do you just buy versatile stamps that can be used more than once?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I will say that I buy more than I use. Whatever looks cute to me, I buy. I have certain collections that I do not use at all. I have shelves that I display them on that are my "special" stamps. I tend to buy themes that I know I will use a lot. I have a lot of patriotic stamps, birthdays, holidays, and lots of sentiments. I also look for stamps with images that are good for coloring with my copic markers. My DH would not agree, but I say "buy what makes you happy and within your budget."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

I totally agree with DeeAnn about versatility. When I first started stamping, I looked through the SU catalog to see what sets I could get the most mileage from. Over time, I've added some sets that I had one or two people/occasions in mind for, but there is always something that will serve multiple purposes. I also try not to duplicate things I already have - I really do not *need* more flowers. I've got ones that will work when I feel floral.

Another thing I do is look at the galleries for a potential set here on SCS to see what others have done with it. That's helped me make up my mind on several sets that i was on the fence about - either I see amazing things and have to have it or my lukewarm sentiment turns even cooler when I haven't seen other people doing great things with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

For me, it's about two things mostly: if I like them ('cause some images I just love, love) and how versatile they are.

I often think of how many stamps I get in the set, too, and how it breaks down cost wise per stamp in the set.

Retired Paper Craft & Scrapbooking magazine Go-to Gal & Contributing Editor
Retired Moxie Fab World Hostess
All-around lucky girl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Partial hijack here, but relevant anyway...for those of you who buy more than you use, I recommend making a resolution to use every image stamp you own. I did this and it was AMAZING. It also took over 2 years, LOL! But I learned so much about what I really like to use, what stamp styles work for me and what styles don't. It was incredibly valuable and changed the way I buy...which gets me back on topic with the OP...

I buy what I think will fit into my style. If I have old stamps that are similar to the new stamps I want, I pull those stamps out and see if they'll do as a substitute. If not, I buy the new ones.

For instance, I love the new Gratitude Journal from Papertrey, but I'm going to try to use stamps I already have for the same effect. If it works, I'll gloat about it on my blog, and if it doesn't, I'll order the new set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Partial hijack here, but relevant anyway...for those of you who buy more than you use, I recommend making a resolution to use every image stamp you own. I did this and it was AMAZING. It also took over 2 years, LOL! But I learned so much about what I really like to use, what stamp styles work for me and what styles don't. It was incredibly valuable and changed the way I buy...which gets me back on topic with the OP...

I buy what I think will fit into my style. If I have old stamps that are similar to the new stamps I want, I pull those stamps out and see if they'll do as a substitute. If not, I buy the new ones.

For instance, I love the new Gratitude Journal from Papertrey, but I'm going to try to use stamps I already have for the same effect. If it works, I'll gloat about it on my blog, and if it doesn't, I'll order the new set.
I did this and I agree with you 100%. Using every single stamp really teaches your style. You can also see which stamps are huge fails and huge success. I also pull out my old stamps and revamp them for new trends. One of the things I loved about stamping was how you could use one stamp in so many different ways. Stamps are pricey so I want the most bang for my buck. Even though it's tempting to buy newer stamps in similar styles I know I have something in my collection that is even better. If I don't then I can buy that new stamp. Doing this gives me more money to buy more stamps for my collection that are different and unique styles.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 04:53 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I ordered some Heart Felt Creations exclusive Spellbinders dies from Cut At Home. I was only going to order the beautiful lace die, but saw the Bella Rose leaves and went nuts...well worth it. However, now I have the rose dies and no stamps to go with them. Since there are already stamp sets for these I've decided to save up and buy the stamps instead of carving some. But normally, if I can help it lately, I try to carve what I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

it's usually not a case of wanting them but NEEDING them!!!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

I make around 40 to 50 cards a month for church members in a card ministry, so I need versitile stamps so it doesn't feel like the "same old" card. I find myself looking for stamps that would work on cards for men or stamps that could be used in a variety of ways. I really liked the suggestion to look at the gallery to see how a stamp was used to help decide if I wanted to buy it. Thanks for all the ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I know the style of theme I want of stamps and only purchase those. Unfortunately, I've gotten stamps scene stamps that looked pretty on the card on the wall for display and didn't look at the actual stamp. The stamp was not very deeply etched so the stamping I did was unuseable. My stamping technique is not the problem....I use a proper stamping pad.

I've learned to turn the stamp over to check the depth of the etching before purchasing.

A tree or leaf stamp can be used for any theme of card I'm creating by changing the color ink for outline and pencil coloring. Color changes makes a huge difference.

I only purchase stamps I can hold in my hand first. I could never purchase stamps over the internet.

I do feel etching of the stamp is very important. You have to look at each stamp.

Patti

p.s. To the poster below who does draw instead of stamping at times. I envy you. I only wish I could draw a symetric square.

I met a 97 year old man in the park one day who I showed a card I had created. He said I cheated since I didn't draw the image. I understood his point but realize he didn't understand modern technology. Then I learned the main was an artist. So he had a right to say what he did, I felt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #36  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
...I met a 97 year old man in the park one day who I showed a card I had created. He said I cheated since I didn't draw the image. I understood his point but realize he didn't understand modern technology. Then I learned the main was an artist. So he had a right to say what he did, I felt.
My mom feels the same way. "Why don't you just draw what you want?" she asked when I showed her my stamps the first time. Sorry, Mom. You kept that drawing gene for yourself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Are we really supposed to think before we buy?! I guess that's why my retirement account is not as full as it could be! Oh well, I indulge because I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #38  
Compulsive Stamper

I was buying stamps right and left when I first started stamping. Then space became an issue. Now, I try to make sure it is something I really love and that it is versatile. I lean toward things in nature, flowers, butterflies, birds. I personally prefer a single stamp over a set. Then you can build from those single stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

I buy what I like, but have been trying to use more of what I have but this month for some reason to many good stamps out there hahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

If something really catches my eye, and the price is right, I might buy it.

I usually only buy a new stamp if it's for a specific project/card I have on my "to do" list.

Otherwise, I make do with what I have and I use my twin's stamps too because we are COMPLETE opposites with the stamping styles we use ;) Go figure..........
Reply With Quote Likes