Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Posting a cased card - pros and cons

I love casing cards - the creativity/originality of so many stampers here is overwhelming and I so thank you all! However, I rarely post a cased card because they are literal knock-offs or they are so similar that it seems redundant. Truthfully, I'm just not good at putting together an original design, but I am a great copier! I count on finding the perfect card for whatever I need already created and posted, and needless to say I love the "search" option.
I also want to say that I'm not refering to the challenges of going through a members gallery and picking a card to recreate - in my opinion, those cards tend to be quite different and unique from the original chosen card.
All that being said - what are your thoughts on posting cards that are a carbon copy of another member.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I post a lot of cards that were inspired by other stampers' work. But I never, ever make carbon copies. I always change stuff (stamps, colors, theme) and I usually simplify because my style is CAS but I get inspiration from all sorts of styles.

I always acknowledge the source of inspiration, though. Not to do so would feel (and be!) dishonest.

I'm always flattered when someone gets inspiration from my work, and I hope those who inspire me feel flattered in return.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you should post your cards, but also note that it is a cased card and mention the person who you cased it from. I rarely case cards, but I do have a few cards that I cased in my gallery and that's how I handle it. Unfortunately, sometimes you know you cased the card and can't find the link to the card again:oops:. In that case I say that its cased but don't have the link anymore or the original poster's name and if anyone looking at the card knows who its from to let me know so I can add the info to the description. At least that way I'm not claiming the design as my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 368 Likes on 205 Posts

I agree with (Late Blossom) totally. Everyone is so generous with their creations. A mention is only appropriate. This is just my opinion and what I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Me too! I often case cards, but always give credit to the person who inspired me. The more samples the better! So post them! Happy Stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I CASE a lot of cards. Like you, Bernie, I don't have a lot of original ideas. I like to post my cards in my gallery as a way of keeping a "file" of the cards I've made not so much for other people to see. But I do not post them unless I can give credit to the person I've CASED them from. For this reason, I have about 50 cards that I would like to put in the gallery but just have not had the time to go back and figure out who I copied them from. I just told myself yesterday that I am going to start writing down the name of the person I'm CASING from on a sticky note before I start to make a card. When the card is finished, I can put the sticky in it and post the info when I'm ready.

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change a girl's life!

The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by demodarlaView Post
I CASE a lot of cards. Like you, Bernie, I don't have a lot of original ideas. I like to post my cards in my gallery as a way of keeping a "file" of the cards I've made not so much for other people to see. But I do not post them unless I can give credit to the person I've CASED them from. For this reason, I have about 50 cards that I would like to put in the gallery but just have not had the time to go back and figure out who I copied them from. I just told myself yesterday that I am going to start writing down the name of the person I'm CASING from on a sticky note before I start to make a card. When the card is finished, I can put the sticky in it and post the info when I'm ready.
That is a great idea. That is the reason i don't have
alot of my cards in my gallery. I don't always remember to write
down whos card i cased.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I think it's probably difficult to CASE a project right down to every single detail, so there are a lot of small variations (different ink, sentiment, ribbon, etc). Sometimes it's those small differences and innovations you make in trying to replicate a project that are the most inspiring to others. And sometimes seeing multiple people attempt a similar project makes it more accessible, inspiring others to give it a go.

So I say post your CASEd projects, and if you can't remember exactly what inspired it, just say so in your description.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I tend to think differently about my gallery than some...but I was inspired by some here on SCS to think this way.

My gallery is my portfolio. I am not trying to show off, to gain comments, to make sure that others see my work. I could keep that portfolio on my computer, and I do, but computers crash and valuable pictures are lost as a result.

For that reason, it is to my advantage to post what I have created...all of it. (Unless it is a total dud and ends up in the "dud file".) I post my CASE and almost-CASE projects. I acknowledge who inspired me. I may not always post a link to their project, but I give them credit.

For that reason it is definitely a good thing to post your CASE projects. You made it. You may want to make it again. Your gallery is a permanent record of what you have made. You're posting in your gallery for YOU as much as (or more) for yourself as others.

So, post away!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

i like to CASE too...and am inspired by the creativity and art of others...go for it and it should flatter whomever you "copy" so post your take on their design

sometimes i have to CASE to get the mojo going
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

CASE-ing is my number 1 mojo salvager truth be told. I have yet to do a direct point by point copy (just haven't been successful at it oddly enough ;) ) but really enjoy the spin-off card that nearly always results. I dare say that most creations are spin-offs of someone else's...spin-off. We can't reinvent the wheel so to speak and this wonderful talented community is one big joyously inspired melting pot. The cross fertilizing and generous sharing, and supportive elements are part of why I love our crafting community so. All that to say is that I am grateful to all our fellow crazy creative crafter's for sharing their work with us all and I sort of feel that by also sharing my work too, albeit it of a lesser standard most times, is how I can give back and hopefully inspire someone in some small way. Wishful thinking maybe but I just enjoy papercrafts so much I just want to share the love so to speak in hopes that it inspires folks to get crafty in their own way in turn having their own fun in the process...and the joy continues on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I also find it is a great creative spark. I may start out to CASE a card, but it usually just becomes a springboard for my own ideas. I see nothing wrong with posting it because, unless it's a carbon copy, it is still your own work. Giving credit where due if appropriate, of course.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I case and give credit to the one I saw, I will print off the card and always write down either their blog or their name to give credit. I even do this with cards that have inspired one of my cards, I try really hard to give credit where credit is due.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes