Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Perfect Pearls/Pearl Ex?

Are they the same thing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They basically are the same product except Perfect Pearls has a binding agent in it so that you can use it like water paint powder. Pearl Ex would need to have a binding agent (like gum arabic or watered down white glue) added or sealed with something so that it doesn't rub off.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Good info here: Ink Stains: Why use.... Perfect Pearls vs. Pearl Ex?

She has lots of projects.

Vic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Roni Johnson, on her blog "Ink Stains" did a comparison test of the two earlier this month here: Ink Stains: Perfect Pearl & Pearl Ex - Dusted Images
with some surprising results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I haven't stamped in a couple of years. So at a LSS I saw Perfect Pearls, I purchased the Ranger (versamark like pad) and have been doing the brush technique then misting with water.

Well-- just the other day I was digging through my old craft stuff and found this huge 12 pack of Pearl Ex!! Beautiful colors. Not sure if I ever did anything with them? Do I do the same thing, brush them on the Ranger ink impression? Then mist with water? I have 12 beautiful colors and am drawing a complete blank as to what to do with them??

While I gather they are similar pigment mica's I still am not sure what is best for each product in terms of color, shimmer and technique???

I think I have lost a few brain cells since I did my last stamping! I found things I don't even remember purchasing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemamaView Post
Do I do the same thing, brush them on the Ranger ink impression? Then mist with water?
Water won't fix Pearl Ex, it only works with Perfect Pearls because there is a resin built in to them and Pearl Ex doesn't have that. You can brush Pearl Ex over an impression that you've stamped with Versamark or the Ranger equivalent but then you'll need to seal it to stop it rubbing off. Something like art artist sealant spray (sold for sealing chalk or charcoal drawings) is good or you can try cheap hairspray, that usually works fine.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Water won't fix Pearl Ex, it only works with Perfect Pearls because there is a resin built in to them and Pearl Ex doesn't have that. You can brush Pearl Ex over an impression that you've stamped with Versamark or the Ranger equivalent but then you'll need to seal it to stop it rubbing off. Something like art artist sealant spray (sold for sealing chalk or charcoal drawings) is good or you can try cheap hairspray, that usually works fine.
Thank you! I appreciate all of the responses!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is also a pre-made Perfect Pearls spray.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

According to Roni Johnson's test above (see link in my previous response), Perfect Pearls don't last well with water either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
According to Roni Johnson's test above (see link in my previous response), Perfect Pearls don't last well with water either.
Interesting - I've only ever used water to fix them and have never had a problem.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I've also only ever used Perfect Pearls with water. But I don't know how well it lasted because I used it on cards I sent out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I've found perfect pearls will brush off some if using water as a fixative but you won't lose your design, a bit just gets on everything it touches. I use workable fixativ (Krylon I think) for better sealing. I hear some use cheap (cheaper the better) hairspray. I think cheap hairspray contains less moisturizers, herbs, extra shine stuff etc when you don't want those things on your card, just pure spray glue!

Pearl ex definitely doesn't work with Versamark. Learned that the hard way but at least before I made 180 wedding favours using it! I found that perfect pearls doesn't work with Versamark either unless you seal it. I was surprised at that. I guess there isn't enough moisture in VM to activate the Gum in the perfect pearls.

You can buy powdered gum Arabic to add to pearl ex but it isn't cheap. Neither is liquid gum Arabic. In Canada, in Michaels they want like $20 for a bottle maybe 150 ml (5 oz). Online I've seen it cheaper but since it's a glass bottle they want a fortune to ship! My local art store doesn't and won't carry it.

I'd love to know if anyone has a source for cheap powdered gum arabic.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Last edited by Rebecca Ednie; 07-27-2011 at 03:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I've found perfect pearls will brush off some if using water as a fixative but you won't lose your design, it just gets on everything it touches. I use workable fixativ (Krylon I think) for better sealing.

Pearl ex definitely doesn't work with Versamark. Learned that the hard way but at least before I made 180 wedding favours using it!

You can buy powdered gum Arabic to add to pearl ex but it isn't cheap. Neither is liquid gum Arabic. In Canada, in Michaels they want like $20 for a bottle maybe 150 ml (5 oz). Online I've filings it cheaper but since it's a glass bottle they want a fortune to ship!

I'd love to know if anyone has a source for cheap powdered gum arabic.
I've used gel medium successfully with both Pearl-Ex and Perfect Pearls. Just use a little of the medium, as you would the gum arabic. Also, a tip from an artist I know: any white glue works with either Pearl-Ex or Perfect Pearls in the same low ratio of fixative to pigment. I haven't tried the while glue yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 03:56 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

The great thing about Pearl Ex is you can mix it with virtually any medium and achieve great results ~ glues, collage mediums, Accents, paints, wax, etc. It brings a beautiful shimmer to most any project.

I haven't tried Perfect Pearls in a vast array of mediums but it works well with the other products that they were designed to be paired with.

In my experience it is best if both are sealed with some sort of fixative or sealer. I have tried the water with PP and it still rubs off to some extent on other things it comes in contact with. As a result I just use a sealer on both now.

Ink Stains
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

You can also 'paint' with Pear-Ex using Future Floor Wax instead of water. It is the binder and the results are stunning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I've used Perfect Pearls mixed with water in a mini-sprayer for a little glimmer effect which worked well. I'm wondering if you can mix Adirondac Color Wash with water and Perfect Pearls with success? Kind of making a custom color "glimmer mist" as a cost cutting effort and not having a lot of product sitting around forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendatooView Post
I've used Perfect Pearls mixed with water in a mini-sprayer for a little glimmer effect which worked well. I'm wondering if you can mix Adirondac Color Wash with water and Perfect Pearls with success? Kind of making a custom color "glimmer mist" as a cost cutting effort and not having a lot of product sitting around forever.
You could do this with reinkers, water & perfect pearls - I've seen Tim Holtz and Jennifer McGuire do this, as well as a number of other people in YouTube videos (sorry, can't give names as I lose track when I get sucked into the 'Tube!) - so I don't see why the color wash wouldn't work.

Last edited by meeyore151; 07-27-2011 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: forgot to add something
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tina van-eickView Post
You can also 'paint' with Pear-Ex using Future Floor Wax instead of water. It is the binder and the results are stunning.
Wow, that Future Floor Wax idea is great! I have some, and I'm going to try it. I want to see if you can make the mixture yellowish and encaustic looking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Dove blender pen will work with pearl ex. The blender pen has a binder in it that allows it to set. I did it in a class I was in and it turned out ok. You pick up a small amount of the powder on the end of the pen and "paint" with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by from the heartView Post
Dove blender pen will work with pearl ex. The blender pen has a binder in it that allows it to set. I did it in a class I was in and it turned out ok. You pick up a small amount of the powder on the end of the pen and "paint" with it.
I wondered if the Dove Blending pen would work. I'm glad to hear it will. I have a brand new one not even open yet I purchased for use with chalks, but now I will try to use it with all my Pearl Ex pigments..

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I would like to see a pearl ex gallery of cards. Would anyone like to post some in this thread? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemamaView Post
I haven't stamped in a couple of years. So at a LSS I saw Perfect Pearls, I purchased the Ranger (versamark like pad) and have been doing the brush technique then misting with water.

Well-- just the other day I was digging through my old craft stuff and found this huge 12 pack of Pearl Ex!! Beautiful colors. Not sure if I ever did anything with them? Do I do the same thing, brush them on the Ranger ink impression? Then mist with water? I have 12 beautiful colors and am drawing a complete blank as to what to do with them??

While I gather they are similar pigment mica's I still am not sure what is best for each product in terms of color, shimmer and technique???

I think I have lost a few brain cells since I did my last stamping! I found things I don't even remember purchasing!

This has been a wonderful question and great answers. hedgiemama, you and I could be twins separated at birth! I just found a box a few weeks ago of 24 PearlEx powders a dear friend bought me over 15 years ago! I wondered if they were still good to use? They've been through the wringer so to speak in the last 15 years.

My box has 16 beautiful colors and 8 white-looking powders that say things like "Interference" Red, Green, Gold, Blue, Violet etc. And then some that say "Micropearl" something or other. The print is so tiny I can hardly see it. I'm assuming these all turn colors when you use them???

Thanks for all the great suggestions and MANY THANKS to hedgiemama for posting this question.

Does your name mean that you like "hedgehog" stamp images? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
My box has 16 beautiful colors and 8 white-looking powders that say things like "Interference" Red, Green, Gold, Blue, Violet etc.
Interference colours work well on dark cardstock and they appear to change as you move the piece, kind of like oil-on-a-puddle colours. The named color (red, violet etc) will be the dominant tone.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Interference colours work well on dark cardstock and they appear to change as you move the piece, kind of like oil-on-a-puddle colours. The named color (red, violet etc) will be the dominant tone.
Cool...sounds pretty.

Would one of you talented stampers be willing to just BRIEFLY walk me through the proper use of the Pearl Ex? I've read here about "binding agents" and floor wax and glue, etc. I DO remember hearing about gum arabic years ago and, like hedgie, have forgotten so much while I was away from stamping. Lets say we use the wax...do we put a little puddle of wax in a container then add the Pearl Ex and paint with it or how does that work? Then, we have to spray it with something to seal it on...right? I suppose there are different techniques that apply.

You are ALL AMAZING about sharing your knowledge and experience with all of us! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
Lets say we use the wax...do we put a little puddle of wax in a container then add the Pearl Ex and paint with it or how does that work? Then, we have to spray it with something to seal it on...right?
If you use it with floor wax (like Future) the wax does the sealing for you, no need to add anything else. There's a "painting with Pearl Ex" tutorial in the resources section (here) - Beate uses a waterbrush with the floor wax in it but you could do it the way you describe (small puddle with the powder mixed in to make paint).

I always use Perfect Pearls so I'm afraid I don't know the proportion of gum arabic you'd need as a fixative but somebody will most likely come along with that info. Again, the gum will act as your sealant, no need for a spray fixative - you basically need that kind of spray if you've used the powder loose over something like an image stamped with Versamark. Cheap hairspray fixes most things, by the way! (the cheaper the better, no "conditioning" agents in there).

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #26  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,034 Likes on 476 Posts

I put Future Floor wax into one of my Aquapainters back when SU first started selling them. You just dip it into your pearl ex container, and "color!" Anyway, about a year later I wanted to use both my brushes for something, and removed the FFW and replace it with water. No damage to the brush at all after a year, and the inside washed out nicely for the water. So I got a second set to keep FFW and Bleach in, they held up great.

Here's a sample - VERY old one, of coloring with FFW and PE: Future Sunny Seasons by NavyWyf - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

(There are much nicer ones out there!) You can also use it like Poppin Pastels and then spray aerosol hairspray over it afterwards. You need the hairspray! You brush off the excess PE with a swiffer wipe, just like you do for Poppin Pastels.
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Angelnorth and NavyWyf...you two are so HELPFUL. Thank you very much for all the info. Went to the tutorial from Beate and checked out the sample from NavyWyf. Love the whole idea of this. Can't believe I've had these for YEARS and never did anything with them. I must have heard that you needed a "fixative" and that discouraged me. Then so much time passed and life happend and I forgot what I had to do to use them. I'm going to buy some Future Floor Wax and I already have Swiffers...so now if anyone calls and I'm doing this technique, I can say that I'm "housecleaning!" Well...it's kinda, sorta true...wax and dust cloths??? Thanks again. RavioliGirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #28  
Inking Addict

here's where I bought mine for $2.99:
gum arabic : Shop | Joann.com
Reply With Quote Likes