Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette or E2

I currently have a Cricut Expression, which I really like but would like to upgrade to an E2. However, I was thinking it would be nice to have a machine with software where I could import svg files and create my own. Also, there is little point, financially, in trying to resell my E, so I will be keeping it.

Love to hear from those of you who have either or both!

Morissa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Cricut Expression and just got a Silhouette SD a few weeks ago. I love it... the software is awesome and the more I learn about it the more I am glad I got the Silhouette. It's nice being able to download exactly the image I want to cut out instead of having to buy a cartridge where I may only use one or two of the images.

Here is some info on the software: Silhouette: Silhouette Studio!!!

I love being able to make my own lacy paper: kerri bradford | studio: silhouette

Being able to resize the images is great and I have already used the Silhouette a lot more than I ever used the Cricut.

Last edited by Cinnistew; 07-18-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the same thing. I figure I will have the Cricut if I have to have one of the carts, but the versatility of the something that I can edit on my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I just got the E2 a week ago and have had my Silhouette for about a year now. I love the Cricut mats much better and am considering getting them and cutting them down for my Silhouette. Small pieces of paper slip sometimes on my Silhouette mat. I think one of the biggest differences I've notices are the Silhouette generally needs two passes to cut heavy cardstock (but it does cut) and the E2 only needs one. The E2 doesn't always make perfect cuts, I cut a scalloped tag and some tiny eyes and they were very "wonky", my Silhouette has never cut anything but perfect shapes. I personally don't like the idea of cartridges, if I need a certain shape I can go on-line and get one from Silhouette right away for only .99. Plus being able to convert svg.'s is a big bonus for me. Also it depends on if you want the 12x12 size and if you mind having to hook up to a computer (I use my laptop for my Silhouette and mostly make cards so those are not issues for me). I think you need to decide which needs are more important to you, they are both really nice machines.
HTH

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I comparison shopped for a long time between the Cricut and the Silhouette before finally deciding on the Silhouette. The biggest selling point for me was that I could buy designs piecemeal at 99 cents a piece instead of a cartridge where I didn't like 2/3 of the designs. Additionally, the Silhouette will cut any font on your computer. Now that Cricut got sue-happy, MTC and SCAL don't work with those machines any longer.

Everything I've read and seen says that the Silhouette makes much cleaner cuts than the Cricuts. I agree with the previous poster about the mats not being sticky enough, though and small pieces slide around sometimes. And, as someone else said, the Silhouette doesn't have as much blade pressure as a Cricut so small, detailed shapes don't come out well on heavier cardstock (think SU and PTI). I've never had much luck using a double cut, but I think that's due to the slippage of paper on the mats.

If you're concerned about being able to cut 12", just hold on till October. Silhouette just announced that they're finally putting out a 12" machine. MSRP is $299 and it should start shipping in October sometime. I'm seriously considering selling my little Silhouette and getting the big one when it comes out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 06:58 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

There is another new machine about to be released, from the Klic N Kut people. It is called the Klic N Kut Zing, comes pre installed with Make the Cut Software, the best cutting software ever...I use MTC with my Gazelle and Silhouette and my old Expression. Wish I would have known about this machine before I ordered my Gaz and Sil. Anyhow, here is a link if you want to check it out.
IntroduZing: The Klic-N-Kut
and another link where the mtc forum talks about this new machine.
PRE-ORDER AVAILABLE NOW - The Klic-N-Kut Zing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, I am very excited about this new Zing machine coming out. I may get rid of my Silhouette and upgrade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Another Idea

The Silhouette people introducted a new machine at CHA this week--it's the Silhouette Cameo. It fits 15" wide vinyl. So just another idea to consider, if you haven't purchased the Silhouette SD yet.

Here is a video regarding it from CHA. ‪Silhouette Cameo - CHA Summer 2011‬‏ - YouTube

Oh, and in addition to the ZING (KnK + MTC) and the Cameo, I heard that Sizzix is going to roll out the eClips using SCAL (Sure Cuts a Lot) software.

So now you have a LOT more options to ponder!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I have been very interested in getting a Silhouette but according to their site they don't support SVG files. How does one use those types of files with the machine. Once I learn that I believe I am sold on the machine and just need to save my money for one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassie_luView Post
I have been very interested in getting a Silhouette but according to their site they don't support SVG files. How does one use those types of files with the machine. Once I learn that I believe I am sold on the machine and just need to save my money for one
From what I've been reading the software that comes with the Silhouette doesn't support SVG import. However, Sure Cuts A Lot site and Make the Cut are both compatible with the Silhouette, and you can use SVGs with those programs. Hope this helps.

I'm eyeing the new 12 inch version as a someday item on my wish list :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for letting me know. I saw the video about the new one and it sounds like it will support SVGs. I do believe that is what I'll be saving my money for now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

There is apparently going to be a "designer" version of Silhouette Studio that will cut svg files. Haven't heard if there will be a charge for it.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by JannaramaView Post
The Silhouette people introducted a new machine at CHA this week--it's the Silhouette Cameo. It fits 15" wide vinyl. So just another idea to consider, if you haven't purchased the Silhouette SD yet.

Here is a video regarding it from CHA. ‪Silhouette Cameo - CHA Summer 2011‬‏ - YouTube

Oh, and in addition to the ZING (KnK + MTC) and the Cameo, I heard that Sizzix is going to roll out the eClips using SCAL (Sure Cuts a Lot) software.

So now you have a LOT more options to ponder!!
I'm so glad that I started this thread so close to CHA. Helps to have the inside track on what is going to be available. Glad I didn't take the plunge for the SD quite yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I gave up cartridge based cutters recently and ordered a Gazelle. I've been using Make the Cut software (Make the Cut!� - Offical Website - Greatest cutter software yet created!) for over a year now and love the flexibility of creating my own and using other's files. There are some terrific comparision charts out there on the various cutters - do your research! Here is a great spot for the comparison chart (an no, I'm not affiliated with the site...;-)

underacherrytree.com

Google around and see what all is available!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

You got some great pointers. I am a Cricut/Silhouette/Gazelle girl. If you need to cut heavier material like chipboard, acetate, etc then the Silhouette is out. Look into some of the mid-level cutters like Gazelle, Pazzles, Black Cat Lynx, or Sizzix Eclips. Since you are already a Cricut user you might like the Pazzles. It was designed by the same people who did the Cricut. The Pazzles came first.

I can say without a doubt the Silhouette cuts more accurately than the Cricut machines. I like to do a lot of tiny work and I am always amazed by the details on the Silhouette. I have to go back to my Cricut/Gazelle for heavier die cutting. The Cricut does cut edges softer if you need a softer look for your designs. I like to cut out nature items with my Cricut since the curves are more rounded. Sometimes that wacky offset comes in handy. I do prefer the Silhouette for accuracy. It's like using a punch.

Silhouette did say at this years CHA they are releasing a Chipboard blade holder. They did not give a date for the release. Silhouette also cuts from Inkscape so you can bypass any of the other paid software. You can also use Illustrator and Corel Draw if you have those programs. I have a friend who can use PaintShopPro to cut with the Silhouette. If you are a Linux user you can also use the Silhouette. You will not have the Print & Cut features. You can work around that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
You got some great pointers. I am a Cricut/Silhouette/Gazelle girl. If you need to cut heavier material like chipboard, acetate, etc then the Silhouette is out. Look into some of the mid-level cutters like Gazelle, Pazzles, Black Cat Lynx, or Sizzix Eclips. Since you are already a Cricut user you might like the Pazzles. It was designed by the same people who did the Cricut. The Pazzles came first.

I can say without a doubt the Silhouette cuts more accurately than the Cricut machines. I like to do a lot of tiny work and I am always amazed by the details on the Silhouette. I have to go back to my Cricut/Gazelle for heavier die cutting. The Cricut does cut edges softer if you need a softer look for your designs. I like to cut out nature items with my Cricut since the curves are more rounded. Sometimes that wacky offset comes in handy. I do prefer the Silhouette for accuracy. It's like using a punch.

Silhouette did say at this years CHA they are releasing a Chipboard blade holder. They did not give a date for the release. Silhouette also cuts from Inkscape so you can bypass any of the other paid software. You can also use Illustrator and Corel Draw if you have those programs. I have a friend who can use PaintShopPro to cut with the Silhouette. If you are a Linux user you can also use the Silhouette. You will not have the Print & Cut features. You can work around that.
Good to know! One of our machines runs Ubuntu.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
There is apparently going to be a "designer" version of Silhouette Studio that will cut svg files. Haven't heard if there will be a charge for it.
It's going to be $60, so comparable to MTC and SCA.

I use Inkscape to convert SVG's and it works well. I'm happy to see places like Lettering Delights offering other files, like gsd. they work in the Silhouette are much quicker than Inkscape.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a E and over 40 carts which I have no intention of giving up, however all the talk about better smaller cuts (I do mostly cards) and the ability to cut what I want has me thinking I might want to add a Silhouette to my craft collection. I did have a quick question, I know I can find files online and buy them individually etc, but can I scan in my own images to cut? Could I stamp something and scan it high resolution and then import that into the Silhouette and have it cut out? I'm really getting into stamping and hate cutting everything out by hand for the cards where I want to pop an image etc. What about cuts made by my E? Could I cut something out with the E from a cartridge and scan that into my computer and then cut it with the Silhouette if I wanted (say for small or detailed cuts that the E isn't doing great on)?

thank you SO MUCH for any info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

If you're only talking about cutting around the outside of the stamped image then yes, you should be able to. I've used clip art jpegs, used the trace function and then made a print and cut out of it. I'd say you could do the same with a high resolution scan saved as a jpeg.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookView Post
If you're only talking about cutting around the outside of the stamped image then yes, you should be able to. I've used clip art jpegs, used the trace function and then made a print and cut out of it. I'd say you could do the same with a high resolution scan saved as a jpeg.
Thank you for the reply, yes with stamped images I'd want basically a shadow cut around where the stamp would be since I'd cut the image and then stamp it with my actual stamp. Do you know if a scanned cricut image would work? I'm thinking I'd cut an image (say in black so it's nice and easy to see for the scan) at a decent/large size and scan it, then could I use the software and the Silhouette to resize and cut as small as I wanted (within the confines of the machine obviously)? IE for a that instance I wouldn't want a shadow cut, I'd want it cut exactly on the exterior line, does it have the ability to basically read a scanned image and cut on the solid lines?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I've never tried anything with a scan but it would probably depend on the quality of your scan. I've taken a solid image (again a jpeg), like a solid black side profile silhouette of someones face and been able to trace it to cut. But if your image was pixelated and not smooth then your cuts would be too, the trace is very sensitive. And yes it traces exactly along the outer edge, no white border.
btw the sizing is extremely easy with the Silhouette and it will cut pretty tiny shapes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

Last question I promise ;)

Is the trace function something you need to manually (using a mouse etc) trace along or does it do it by itself based on color differences? Also for what it's worth, I have photoshop cs4, does the machine work with it as well?

I think I'm definitely leaning towards getting one to compliment my cricut products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

The trace function is automatic. With a solid image it's super simple to use, one click. For a print and cut it's a couple extra steps but still easy. I've not worked with photoshop so I'm afraid I can't answer that. I've used Inkscape to convert svg's into dxf files for the Silhouette but that's about it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you so much for the info. I'm so excited now that I can't wait for the new one to be released, then again the wait will give me time to save up for it and find some things to sell
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

You're very welcome!

Reply With Quote Likes