Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $99 demo package - should I?

My demo needs one more person to sign up as a downline to reach a goal. She wants me to sign up. I have no intention of selling anything. I just don't see that happening, but discounts are undeniably a good thing. Should I?

Jutta
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

You don't really have anything to lose. You sign up and can't keep up the mins then you just drop. Not like you have to give anything back or anything. It's a good deal. I mainly only sell to myself and have no trouble making my mins (BUT that's another topic, lol). Really there isn't anything to lose. No punishment for dropping...and you never know...you could get some customers!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Default should I.....

I guess I don't want to "cheat" and let the company think that I'm going to really go after customers. Then I think that they KNOW why people sign up for this deal, right? Then I think if I'm going to do it, I should really put my heart into it and TRY to sell, but honestly, I'd be a lousy salesperson! I want to help my demo out, but I also don't want to blow my budget.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been a demo for almost three years and meet my minimums by my own orders--ugh! As long as you can afford to meet the minimum that's all you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #5  

Yes, they are well aware that the majority will not make a business out of it. They treat you just the same though! There is no difference in the eyes of SU. Again, no penalty either if you drop. I was making the minimums anyway so it just made sense for me to sign up. Signing and dropping isn't really cheating and like I said, you never know what might happen. There have been a lot of demos who just "signed up for the discount" and who now are in the top 100!!!! Talk it over with your demo!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 263 Likes on 109 Posts

Out of curiosity -- I really like my current demo, who doesn't have anyone under her yet. Am I "worth" more to her as a customer or as a downline/demo?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
Out of curiosity -- I really like my current demo, who doesn't have anyone under her yet. Am I "worth" more to her as a customer or as a downline/demo?
that is worth talking over w/ your demo. i signed up more than 4 years ago. i have never and will never sell to others. i'm in it just for me.
but 2 yrs ago i had a friend sign up under me. the 3 of us(me,friend & demo) talked this over for a couple of weeks. my demo/upline told my friend (& actually her own family) to sign under me. while now is "hurts" my upline. she makes nothing off my friend. due to the fact "friend" out sells us both. i would need to meet "friend's" sells for me to get beenies for her sales. and because i don't my upline is out also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
My demo needs one more person to sign up as a downline to reach a goal. She wants me to sign up. I have no intention of selling anything. I just don't see that happening, but discounts are undeniably a good thing. Should I?

Jutta
i say if you love the products and can join. do it!
when i signed i knew i would be a hobby dem of 1.
if by chance you decide to sell. try and host your events in the 1st month of each quarter. this way you have the rest of the quarter to make up what you are short. if you held events in the last month of the quarter you have no time to reach your minimums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I guess I don't want to "cheat" and let the company think that I'm going to really go after customers. Then I think that they KNOW why people sign up for this deal, right? Then I think if I'm going to do it, I should really put my heart into it and TRY to sell, but honestly, I'd be a lousy salesperson! I want to help my demo out, but I also don't want to blow my budget.

Jutta
I signed up for the discount without any intentions of selling. I am fairly shy and so not a public speaker. Here I am 6 years later with a small but fantastic group of ladies! I primarily do stamp camps. That way I can give one on one, which is great. I never thought I would be doing this for this long but I love it. Plus, I figured if I am going to buy it, I might as well get the discount!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Default Taking the plunge.....

I will probably cave in and do it, just for now. I have been stamping a shockingly looooog time and so have a huge amount of stamping stuff. I will get my discount and fade into the woodwork. My demo showed me the mini last night and it's the best ever! I went to sleep dreaming of Christmas stockings! I also buy a lot from other companies. Too many stamps, not enough time- especially after spending so much time on SCS!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jutta, you would definitely NOT be cheating SU or your upline. Stampin Up and your demo will be thrilled to have you join, even if you don't last forever. If you have the $99 do it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I will probably cave in and do it, just for now. I have been stamping a shockingly looooog time and so have a huge amount of stamping stuff. I will get my discount and fade into the woodwork. My demo showed me the mini last night and it's the best ever! I went to sleep dreaming of Christmas stockings! I also buy a lot from other companies. Too many stamps, not enough time- especially after spending so much time on SCS!

Jutta
LOL...if I stopped spending so much time on SCS and other forums and reading blogs I could get in so much more stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

NYstamper: I had to switch last year b/c my demo did not make quarterly minimums. She told me my orders had kept her going, but she couldn't justify ordering for herself just to stay in business. I'm signing up today under my new demo. She's convinced me that it's worth a try.

And at $99, what do you have to lose? Plus you get an add'l 10% discount during the first 45 days. I'm looking at peeling back on buying at LSS, ebay, overstock.com, and of course--the BST thread here. If I add those additional stamping addictions up and spend my $ on SU, I know I can make the minimums. Plus, I already have a lady wanting to purchase from me. YAY!!

And good luck, jutta, in making your decision!! I have a whole slug of questions to ask before I sign up today. I want to be sure I understand their social media guidelines. And I look forward to the support the demo provides--monthly card share, quarterly uplines, etc.

I think the key is to sign up with someone that is enthused about their business. In my basket business, I sell more than my upline does--so they are not interested in growing your business. I "plan" on SU being my hobby line; but if I make a few customers along the way, that is good for me!

Order 24/7 for my site, http://www.longaberger.com/pattitus[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Companies offer promos like this because they know full well that if you throw enough people against a "wall" as demos a few just might stick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Go for it!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I don't believe I have ever seen this question addressed before, but what are the end of year tax implications with this? Do you get a W-2 or 1099 or how do you account for the free and discounted products you buy as a hobby demo?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

I signed up 8 years ago just to get a one-time discount because it was such a great deal. I never had any intention to 'sell' anything. However, I loved the product and the company so much I decided to actually give it a try and now I've got a successful business and downline and love being a demonstrator. I guess my point is, the $99 special starter kit that Stampin' Up! is offering now through the end of July is at such a great 'try me' price why not see if you would like to being a demonstrator. You would have until the end of December to meet your minimum and if you don't, you just drop. SU doesn't hassle you. I think they're counting on people like me who change their mind and actually stay in. I'm not sure why everyone isn't signing up this month! Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

also i sold the business items, catalogs,order forms etc to a sideline of mine. that went for 30.00. brings that 99.00 right down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Do you know if you can substitute the hostess sets for your sets? i really want a couple of the hostess sets
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I don't believe I have ever seen this question addressed before, but what are the end of year tax implications with this? Do you get a W-2 or 1099 or how do you account for the free and discounted products you buy as a hobby demo?
Great question. I'm also curious about this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #22  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyt99View Post
Do you know if you can substitute the hostess sets for your sets? i really want a couple of the hostess sets
I highly doubt it. The only way to get hostess sets outright is to buy them during the new catty pre order (which is a perk of being a demo of course:-))

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #23  

Quote:

If you don't make a certain amount from SU then you don't get one and you just have to keep track of your expenses and turn it in yourself. I'm a hobby demo and have never gotten a 1099 or anything. ANd if you're a hobby demo who only sells to yourself I don't think you get penalized...your instant income isn't really income, just a discount. It's best to ask a tax expert though:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by angel1971View Post
Great question. I'm also curious about this.
As I recall, SU does not issue 1099 unless you sell over a certain dollar amount. Keeping track of payments, taxes, commissions, etc. is the responsibility of the demo. You are operating as an independent contractor.

When weighing the pros and cons, you should know a few things:

*The discount is twenty percent. Take into consideration that with your orders, you'll still be paying ten percent shipping.

*Read the Independent Demonstrator Agreement carefully and understand their terms of service. This could impact you for purposes of blogging, selling, etc.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #25  

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
As I recall, SU does not issue 1099 unless you sell over a certain dollar amount. Keeping track of payments, taxes, commissions, etc. is the responsibility of the demo. You are operating as an independent contractor.

When weighing the pros and cons, you should know a few things:

*The discount is twenty percent. Take into consideration that with your orders, you'll still be paying ten percent shipping.

*Read the Independent Demonstrator Agreement carefully and understand their terms of service. This could impact you for purposes of blogging, selling, etc.

Good luck!
Basically for me and where I live with the tax rate we have, I look at my discount as my tax and shipping off since that is usually close to 20%. Again, any discount is better than no discount though!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

You do actually get a 1099 for the free stuff that you earn with Great Rewards points (if any). I'm not a tax adviser! But my BIL used to work for the IRS. He told me that if I'm not trying to write anything off (take a loss) then all I have to do is report what's on my 1099 as income. For me that's a really small amount. Again, I'm not a tax adviser, so check with one if you're not sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I signed up tonight!! A great time to sign up, as you can preorder out of the mini...plus I have my eye on the Big Shot as a half price item...I love my Cuttlebug, but I look forward to playing with the Big Shot...

Order 24/7 for my site, http://www.longaberger.com/pattitus[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 04:14 AM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyemmertView Post
You do actually get a 1099 for the free stuff that you earn with Great Rewards points (if any). I'm not a tax adviser! But my BIL used to work for the IRS. He told me that if I'm not trying to write anything off (take a loss) then all I have to do is report what's on my 1099 as income. For me that's a really small amount. Again, I'm not a tax adviser, so check with one if you're not sure!
This is how I thought it might work. But how do you know how much will be on that at the end of the year? I guess I'm just trying to figure out how you keep track of it all since what you sell would not all be considered income.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

This is how I thought it might work. But how do you know how much will be on that at the end of the year? I guess I'm just trying to figure out how you keep track of it all since what you sell would not all be considered income.
SU gives you activity statements online for each month so you can track everything. And a 1099 only if you are over a certain amount at the end of the year ($600?? NOT including instant income). And if you are just making minimums, you would not be getting any downline overides, volume rebates or great rewards to report anyways. When you order for yourself, the instant income is really a discount, not income. The only thing you really need to keep track of, is incidental expenses like postage, advertising, gas for making deliveries, going to workshops - and only if you are reporting on Schedule C as a business. Otherwise, you don't need to bother with tracking expenses, if you don't have any income. You can take a loss 2 years out of every 5 before the IRS considers you a hobby, so it's worth considering if you can use some tax deductions.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

My mom and I are considering having one of us do this and share the discount amongst ourselves. For Canadians, the sign-up deal is $119. Can a demo confirm whether these assumptions are correct?

1. Usual discount is 20% off regular book price. After signing up, the demo can place one order within 45 days at 30% off? Or are all orders placed within that 45 days at 30% off?

2. Someone mentioned a half price item in one of the other posts? Just how does that work?

3. When a demo places an order, does all the money at full price have to be paid up front and then you get reimbursed? Or do you pay the amount with the 20% already taken off?

That's all for now. I've only ordered a few things from my existing demo and she won't lose much with me ordering on my own and not through her. We're going to chat more later but I thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Default another question

When I was talking with my demo the other day, she was giving me a peek at the mini while giving me her pitch. I was kind of like Charlie Brown. In the distance, I heard "Wah wah wah wah, wah wah wah wah" I'll buy the catalogs from you "wah wah wah wah". I was just captivated by the stocking stuff. Dies, punches, stamps..... What did you say??? Do demos do this? As I will be my only customer, I would be happy to unload the catalogs and business supplies. What is the correct amount for this? She's been a sweetie to me, so I want tobe sure to treat her right.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
My mom and I are considering having one of us do this and share the discount amongst ourselves. For Canadians, the sign-up deal is $119. Can a demo confirm whether these assumptions are correct?

1. Usual discount is 20% off regular book price. After signing up, the demo can place one order within 45 days at 30% off? Or are all orders placed within that 45 days at 30% off?

2. Someone mentioned a half price item in one of the other posts? Just how does that work?

3. When a demo places an order, does all the money at full price have to be paid up front and then you get reimbursed? Or do you pay the amount with the 20% already taken off?

That's all for now. I've only ordered a few things from my existing demo and she won't lose much with me ordering on my own and not through her. We're going to chat more later but I thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

Thanks!
1.) Yes, a demo does get 30% off their first order. I kinda forgot about that. That's the best incentive right there, especially when you can combine that with orders from the SU holiday mini!

2.) The half price item they were referring to is probably the benefit from being hostess of a workshop over the $4oo level.

3.) When a demo places an order, the total gets charged to the demo's credit card, with the demo discount already applied. If you are placing orders for customers, then the "instant income" applies when you are getting paid by them full price but being charged to your credit card at demo price (20% off).

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you, Mary Rose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #34  

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
1.) Yes, a demo does get 30% off their first order. I kinda forgot about that. That's the best incentive right there, especially when you can combine that with orders from the SU holiday mini!

2.) The half price item they were referring to is probably the benefit from being hostess of a workshop over the $4oo level.

3.) When a demo places an order, the total gets charged to the demo's credit card, with the demo discount already applied. If you are placing orders for customers, then the "instant income" applies when you are getting paid by them full price but being charged to your credit card at demo price (20% off).

Hope that helps!

1. In addition, the 30% order is only good with in the first 45 days of signing AND must be at a workshop level so at least $150 US. And it's just one order. You can put in lesser orders in the time frame but you just get your 20%

3. Your instant income IS instant if customers pay with checks or cash. You deposit them in your account and SU will just deduct their share if you have it set up to your bank account/debit card. You only have to wait if they use a CC.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #35  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks everyone for the info. I've been debating whether or not to become a demo. I don't think I can afford to make the quotas myself, but the $99 is a good deal.

Another question--if I don't have a demo right now in my local area but want to sign up, what do I need to do? I'd like to sign up with someone in the area to have some support if I do decide to give it a go--I'd like the ideas exchange, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Anna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #36  

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna in TXView Post
Thanks everyone for the info. I've been debating whether or not to become a demo. I don't think I can afford to make the quotas myself, but the $99 is a good deal.

Another question--if I don't have a demo right now in my local area but want to sign up, what do I need to do? I'd like to sign up with someone in the area to have some support if I do decide to give it a go--I'd like the ideas exchange, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Anna
Anna,

There is a demo locator on the SU website where you can put in your address and find the demonstrators that are close to you. If they have a demonstrator website, you can go there and sign up any time you want! If there are a few in your area, you can always contact them and see which one fits best with you and then talk to them about signing up. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

What part of Texas are you in?

My blog: http://www.cindyscreativecorner-cindy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinman1964View Post
What part of Texas are you in?
I'm in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

I'm in Texarkana and haven't had very much luck finding other Stampin Up users. I would love to have stamp camps, but the only participants are friends that come as a favor and are not interested in crafting other than at my house.

My blog: http://www.cindyscreativecorner-cindy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Received 263 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Non-local demonstrators

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna in TXView Post
Another question--if I don't have a demo right now in my local area but want to sign up, what do I need to do? I'd like to sign up with someone in the area to have some support if I do decide to give it a go--I'd like the ideas exchange, etc. Anna
Many demonstrators have blogs and many write about their out-of-town downlines whom they have never met in person or have just met at convention. Somehow they make their relationship work, and somehow many of those demos provide support to their downlines. I'm sure it takes some extra effort, but people can do it. I would think a creative, sharing demo at a long distance would beat a non-creative non-sharer any day.
Reply With Quote Likes