Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cricut lite carts?

does anyone have any thoughts, comments, or opinions on the cricut lite carts? The Wal-mart near my work is putting alot of them on Clearance and I wasn't sure if they are worth the money or not. Has anyone used them? How many layers does each image have? Do you actually have ability to make the image look like it does on the back pictures? Thanks!

Last edited by Beate; 06-26-2011 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Last color hard on the eyes
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2011, 05:03 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have wondered alot of the same questions you have but since I can purchase Full size carts for less then 40.00 each it seems crazy to spend 40.00 on a small limited size cart. I also noticed Wal-Mart have 2 on-sale(clearance) last week for 20.00 I almost purchased the Zoo one becasue we take our Son to the Zoo every year and thought it would come in handy but in the end, I didn't purchase it.

Sheena

Would love to hear something good about the small lite size carts wal-mart sells.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

I only bought the Cat one because they will not do a regular cat cart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes, you can make the images like those shown on the cover. I think the cart was so over-priced that no one wanted to spend $40 for 50 images. If you can find them for much lower and really like the images then I say go for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

As others have said, yes the images will look like those on the box. But remember that you will not have the 6 features you would have on the full size cartridges.

I have about 12 of the Lite cartridges and love those I have. With some imagination, you can do all kinds of things with the images. I don't use the other programs some people have. I just have the Design Studio to work with but that suits me just fine. I can provide the imagination to do the rest.

If you can get the Lite cartridges cheaper than the $39 I paid for mine......all the better.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love the few Lite cartridges that I do have and count them as some of my favorites.

The Lacy Labels is a must have IMO because it's similar to Nestabilities. So, if you don't have another die cutter or third party software then Lacy Labels is one to be interested in. Several of us over here really love that cartridge. I do have other die cut machines but Lacy Labels is a must in my die cutting toolbox.

The lite cartridges do have more images than portrayed on front. You can alter them. Even standalone without the aid of Gypsy or Design Studio you can make new shapes and images. Some of the members over at the Cricut Message Board are pro's at this. Yes, you can make them look like what is on the cover too.

I would never pay $40 for the cartridges. I won't even pay $40 for a full cartridge, lol. I am really frugal. My price I pay for cartridges is around $25. When the carts first came out I didn't think they were worth the money. When Michael's a few months back had their $10 cartridge sale two of my WalMarts were kind enough to let me price match and I was able to snag up some Lite cartridges. Also I bought two on Black Friday because I fell in love with them. I bought two of the Seasonal cartridges last Summer for around $25 since I wanted them so bad and knew they would be a gazillion dollars on Ebay. I was right about that.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I paid the full price for the Lite's through Wal Mart, not willingly, but when it's the only way to get the images, it's what I chose to do.

I purchased Handyman (for the tools), Wildlife (for the animals and hunting), Carousel (for the images), Meow (for the cats), Lovely Labels (for the labels since I don't have any Nestabilities), Varsity (the lettering is perfect for school layouts), I picked these cartridges up when they first came out and haven't bought any since, except during the Black Friday Sales I picked up 3 of those cartridges.

It's funny now, 2 years later, all 24 Lite's are finally at my local Wal Mart, and at $29.95 they still aren't selling. I haven't bought any more, not at that price, not for what is offered.

In all my time purchasing regular cartridges I've only paid full price for 2, one DH bought as a gift not knowing to wait for sales (he knows now), and one I was commissioned to do some work and needed Quarter Note and couldn't wait for a sale. Sometimes I make the choice to buy the Seasonal's at the $29.95 instead of waiting for a sale, because they're usually sell out at that price. I don't buy many of the Seasonal's

Are they worth buying, even at the price, to me, yes, because it's the only way to get those images since they're not on other cartridges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I've just recently entered this crazy Cricut world, and am learning a lot about cartridges rather quickly. I too saw the sale at WalMart and did take advantage of it, getting a few that I thought I would enjoy or use for my grandchildren. I know the "lite" ones don't have all the features of the regular ones, but they do make the pictures on the outside. And you can still use them with the Gypsy.

I too love Lacey Labels, and just got Love You a Latte, and am getting attached to that one as well!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 03:26 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Many of the images on the Lite cartridges can be used as stand alone. You don't have to layer them as shown on the instruction card.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 04:36 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2View Post
Hi!
I purchased Handyman (for the tools), Wildlife (for the animals and hunting), Carousel (for the images), Meow (for the cats), Lovely Labels (for the labels since I don't have any Nestabilities), Varsity (the lettering is perfect for school layouts), I picked these cartridges up when they first came out and haven't bought any since, except during the Black Friday Sales I picked up 3 of those cartridges.
Meow I held off a long time buying because I kept waiting for ProvoCraft to release a full size cat cartridge. Then I found out that ProvoCraft uses the Lite cartridges to see what interest there might be in those kind of images before they release a full cartridge. I snagged up Meow. I am still mad about the dogs getting a full cartridge and the poor cats get a Lite cartridge, lol. I use to say over at the old Cricut MB that PC are cat haters, lol. We used to have fun threads about that.

I absolutely adore Splish Splash. That is a good Lite cartridge. Other ones I have are Bloom & Live Simply. Of course I have Lacey Labels. I would like Billionaire & Carousel.

The Black Friday lite cartridges I have are Four Legged Friends and Twinkle Toes. I have a lot of critters so Four Legged was a must for me. I know this is geeky but I loved that dancing flamingo on Twinkle Toes, lol. I also bought it because I love dance.

I do not have the Inspirational religious cartridge that was also a Black Friday cartridge. It is a very beautiful versatile cartridge. I have seen some incredible creations made from it that were not religious in theme. Also as a religious cartridge it's a good one. There is a girl over at the Cricut MB that does some gorgeous Rockabilly themes with that cartridge. I have seen some incredible Goth creations too.

I do have the Aqua Black Friday Cricut. My DH bought it for me as a gift recently. I love the Playtime cartridge and the basic font one that came with the machine. If you have a working Cricut you can snag up a Black Friday Cricut cheap those two cartridge are worth the price alone and you can sale the Cricut. I heard some stores are clearancing the Black Friday Cricut for $50-$75.

The cartridges are on clearance because there are new cartridges coming in. I hope I enabled. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

I agree with you on the cat one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

I have a couple of Black Friday carts-Inspiration and Four Legged Friends. I use both quite a bit. I got them for $10 each on sale though.

I did buy Botanicals for full price. Something rare for me, as I usually never spend above $25 on any cart. I love it though. I also have Lacy Labels & use it a lot. On Walmart.com, they have where you can pair 2 carts for $60. That is what I would do now if I really, really 'needed' one that never went on sale (like most don't). Anyway, there are a number of Lites I really like. Just too high of a price.

Last edited by Heather16; 06-29-2011 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: type faster than I think!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the all the info ladies! I think I will pick up.a couple. I saw a few I liked at Walmart on clearance for 20 bucks each. Lacy labels appears to be popular, so maybe ill pick up that one and a couple others
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Snatch up a bunch for me!

I'd heard about the clearance pricing of the Cricut Lite carts at Walmart and checked a couple stores near me and they didn't have any on clearance:_( Enjoy shopping!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

The Walmart near me had a TON on clearance all at $29. Which still isn't any great bargain. I wish I could find them for $20. Then I'd scoop up one of each
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #16  
spv
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredeErinView Post
I'd heard about the clearance pricing of the Cricut Lite carts at Walmart and checked a couple stores near me and they didn't have any on clearance:_( Enjoy shopping!!!
Make sure to price check them...some of the Walmarts near me have them marked clearance and one that I go to most does not. So I took one to scan it and it was $29...so check first. From the ones I have seen, the carts released at Christmas that were $25 are clearanced at $19 and the old ones for $39 are now $29...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You get more images than the seasonal cartridges, and they have some content the full size carts do not. Lacy Labels is one of the best carts I own, not only for the labels, but all the flower shapes that are a part of this cart. The Wildlife one has some of the most life-like animal images on any Cricut cart. I love the ones I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think they are overpriced for what you get on the cartridges. I'd say get them if you can find them on clearance, but they are definitely not worth full price. I had gotten some of them for Christmas last year when the new lites were CHEAP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

The lites have just recently been marked down at my local WalMart...but still $30. I think they have nearly as many as when they first put them out months ago! No one was interested at $40 and it doesn't appear they are interested at $30...I know I'm not!
Reply With Quote Likes