Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SU cattie

I'm getting anxious...I guess you could say impatient! On FB there are some demos who like the new cattie, and others who do not. And of course, my demo said to me "you know, you buy enough from me right now, I could sign you up as a demo and you could do it as a "hobby."

Okay, girls, I already work for a non-competing direct sales company. Outside of getting the "early peeks" and a reduced cost, tell me why you took the SU plunge, and are you glad (in hindsight) that you did?

And am I missing anything that you could tell me, btw?:cool:

Order 24/7 for my site, http://www.longaberger.com/pattitus[/COLOR]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, I am not a demo anymore, but I was until recently for over 8 years.

I did it because I figured there was so much I wanted, it made sense to get it at a discount.

I'm glad I did because I met new people and made lots of stamping friends. I enjoyed teaching others how to make cards and do new stamping techniques. I'd do it again and I might once my car is paid off.

The only thing I don't miss is selling. I am not a sales person. Ha ha. But I sure did make a great customer to myself. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I'd probably sign up if my friend wasn't already a demo! I could be my own best customer! Honestly, it seems like there are a lot of perks as a demo. A big one is that you can have the orders always shipped to you and you get your goodies first! Our card class orders always go to the demo, so she gets to see it all before we do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I signed up 6 years ago as a hobby demo - and love that I get to see the catalog early, get my "instant income" and can order what I want when I want it. I love managing my own orders for the best return (ie hostess stuff). and the discount really helps fund the card ministry I do at my church. But seeing the stuff early - that's the best!

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I admit, I signed up because I knew I would be my own best customer. I have about 4 close friends that I order for about once per month. I feel it was worth it for me as I get everything at a discount and it is shipped directly to me. I really wasn't in it to sell and make money, I just wanted to have fun stamping and order supplies for my friends
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the same boat as Lisa above. I signed up for the discounts, previews/preorders and tons of support and inspiration from other demos. I have a small group of friends whom I order for. I plan classes with them and we just have fun getting together stampin'. They have pledged to keep my demoship alive. So far, though, there has not been any fear in 3 quarters that I would not make the minimum. Of course, I'm my best customer, too. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2011, 02:23 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 114 Likes on 49 Posts

I just quit being a hobby demo this year after 10 years off and on and will probably go back to it. I realize that when I am committed to the minimum with SU I spend less with other companies. Without the SU coming up, I spend more in fact because I keep ordering SU from my demo friends too. If you calculate it, it's only $25 a week and with the discount, freebies, sneak peaks, and demo perks, it's totally worth it if you can afford that amount. I was almost always my only customer though the original plan was to split the minimum with my sister and another friend. I keep telling myself I have enough stamps, paper, etc. but still always want more so might as well get the discount and convenience. SU markets to people like me, or maybe even specifically to me. They always find a way to entice me with something new and wonderful. You know your budget, but as long as I'm employed I just consider it collecting for my retirement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuntwomanView Post
I just quit being a hobby demo this year after 10 years off and on and will probably go back to it. I realize that when I am committed to the minimum with SU I spend less with other companies. Without the SU coming up, I spend more in fact because I keep ordering SU from my demo friends too. If you calculate it, it's only $25 a week and with the discount, freebies, sneak peaks, and demo perks, it's totally worth it if you can afford that amount. I was almost always my only customer though the original plan was to split the minimum with my sister and another friend. I keep telling myself I have enough stamps, paper, etc. but still always want more so might as well get the discount and convenience. SU markets to people like me, or maybe even specifically to me. They always find a way to entice me with something new and wonderful. You know your budget, but as long as I'm employed I just consider it collecting for my retirement.
LOL--I love the "collecting for my retirement" part!! I'm meeting with my demo next week to talk it over. I used to buy from a friend, but she got out of SU last year. She told me if it wasn't for my orders, she would not have been able to meet her quotas (my three children got married the last three years--and I made 2 of the 3 wedding invitations, programs)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

All of the above. My demonstrator moved away, but many of her customers and friends still wanted to hold stamp camps. So I did stamp camps without being a demonstrator for about a year and sent orders over to her. It was a lot of fun, but I figured that since I was doing the work, I should also make some of the money. I love it, plus I get to see everything early and the discount is great. I still do it for fun and a hobby, but I have friends to do it with and they help me meet my minimum .... lol (as if I didn't meet it all on my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

i've been a hobby demo for 3 years. I love it,love the discounts, sneak peeks and the free stuff. I have 2 or 3 people that buy from me every once in a while. I'm my best customer. I've never had a party or workshop and I can always make my minimum. good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I think it would be fun to do. I've got a couple friends who make cards that might purchase from me. Plus, I'm looking at contributing cards to Operation Write Home. I don't have access to a HL or Michael's store like I used to (now work in a smaller town). And if I order so that I make the party minimum, I'll be able to get access to the hostess dollars.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can anyone tell me what the minimum amount a hobby demo must purchase and over what duration?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

In the US, $300 each quarter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been a hobby demo a couple of times. If I had others to share the minimum, I would do it again in a heartbeat. The perks are great. I don't buy enough for the minimum. I don't know that many people where I live that stamp and the ones that I do know already have a demo. I'll just stick with the stamp group that I attend 10 times a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Can a Canadian SU demo tell me the minimums required per quarter to keep your status as a full fledged demo and as a junior demo? Also, what are the discount amounts for both? Just trying to compare to CTMH which is 22% for full status and 10% for juniors. Minimums for the quarter are $330 (full) and $110 (junior).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 01:51 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Leslie
I can't quote Canadian minimums, but can tell you that SU has one level of demo ... and the US minimum is $300 retail per quarter (so, $240 after instant income).

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

i would like to know the canadian rules as well - i have an excellent demo lady [she is on here somewhere!!!] but she is very very busy, always ready to help, but sometimes being even just an hr away is a long way..... and is one allowed to sell 'su' at say a farmer's market? i see creative memories there all the time? curious to know
thanx
blessings

www.kurokibeachemporium.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

So, if I'm understanding correctly there is only one type of SU demo and you have to have $300(give or take for Canada) per quarter? I see some people say hobby demo which I thought would be the same as a CTMH junior consultant as opposed to a full fledged demo? Is there no status that requires less than $300/quarter?

Thanks for clarifying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

There is no status in SU that requires less than $300 US per quarter. I am a hobby demo which to me means I am my only customer. I think when most hoby demos say Hobby they mean they are not trying to sell a lot or have a downline or trying to make a business out of selling SU. Things like that. There are no junior consultants. I am thinking MAYBE the min in Canada is like 400 but a total guess as I live far away from Canada. Seeing your loacation, I must say we loved our time in Nova Scotia.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You can have a table at a craft fair and sell hand crafted items and take orders for current product. You cannot sell at a permanant location or sell current product as cash and carry. I'm not sure if a Farmer's Market would be a temporary or a permanent location. The best way to find out for a specific situation is to contact SU and ask.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

It looks like the quarterly sales requirement in Canada is $400.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilroyView Post
There is no status in SU that requires less than $300 US per quarter. I am a hobby demo which to me means I am my only customer. I think when most hoby demos say Hobby they mean they are not trying to sell a lot or have a downline or trying to make a business out of selling SU. Things like that. There are no junior consultants. I am thinking MAYBE the min in Canada is like 400 but a total guess as I live far away from Canada. Seeing your loacation, I must say we loved our time in Nova Scotia.
Thank you for the info and the kind comments about Nova Scotia :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been a "hobby" demo for 4 years, with just a couple of friends ordering occasionally. I have to echo others responses-- love the sneak peeks, the discount, and being to order when I want. I also find that I spend nothing on crafting anywhere else.

One of my favorite things about being a demo is meeting (on-line and in person) the amazing people who love stamping and specifically SU. I have been in pending many times and thought seriously about dropping my demoship, but just can't bring myself to give up the relationships that are found in demo boards.

Good luck deciding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattydeonView Post
I've been a "hobby" demo for 4 years, with just a couple of friends ordering occasionally. I have to echo others responses-- love the sneak peeks, the discount, and being to order when I want. I also find that I spend nothing on crafting anywhere else.

One of my favorite things about being a demo is meeting (on-line and in person) the amazing people who love stamping and specifically SU. I have been in pending many times and thought seriously about dropping my demoship, but just can't bring myself to give up the relationships that are found in demo boards.

Good luck deciding.
Thanks for the words of encouragement! And the $99 demo kit is super appealing. I'm leaning toward going ahead. Yes, the demo I spoke with said if I concentrate my ordering $ strictly to Stampin Up, I should be okay with meeting the quotes.

Reply With Quote Likes