Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who else is frustrated with Canada Post?

I have shopping carts at three different online stores waiting for me to go through checkout, but with the Canada Post dispute going on right now I don't dare buy anything until this is all over. Am I the only one here in Canada that is feeling this pain and not being able to buy new toys?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not in Canada but I do feel for all of you! I can't even imagine how frustrated I would be if that were happening here in the US!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I'm frustrated too, but mostly because I have things I want to SEND. Thankfully 99% of my online ordering is from Stampin' Up and they use UPS, not Canada Post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not even from Canada and I am frustrated! I placed an order with Stamping Bella on May 16th and as of yesterday it still says "Processing". I didn't even bother to check today because of the postal situation.... Who knows when it will arrive now? :(

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I would love to send my nephew a graduation card...but will have to wait, I guess. At least Air Canada has pretty much settled it's dispute. One strike down, one to go. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I ordered something with Stamping Bella on 5/17 and it is still processing as well... and I was charged. I emailed and they said they were having trouble with their vulcanizer and would advise me when they had more info....Have no idea when I am getting my order. It wasn't a post problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I am too! I placed an order with Serendipity stamps at the beginning of June. I finally got shipping notice last week, we're moving in two weeks and I have a feeling I won't have it before then. We'll pay for mail forwarding but it's such a hassle not knowing how long it'll be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got all my swaps out before the strike, so I'm good. I have all my bills forwarded to me electronically and pay online, so I haven't used CP for years for any of that. I really hate sending parcels with them just because their prices have skyrocketed over the last few years. I usually use Greyhound bus now if I have large parcels (like at Christmas) to send. Its a little cheaper - but not much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 03:23 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I think UPS and Fedex should step up and start doing letters/cards etc as well, this strike is getting ridicilous!! Hopefully Monday we'll see the light at the end of the tunnel, that's when the Government is suppose to start stepping in with back to work legislation for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

I have a USA credit card that I use from time to time. I have to send my payment in to a PO box! So, I sure hope they resolve it soon. I can't Fedex, Purolator or UPS to a PO box. Only way to get my payment there is by postal service. I don't want to be late in paying because of these yahoo's on strike!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Lucky for me I have a US PO box for on-line purchases. I live in an Ontario border city. Other than that, I think postal workers should not be allowed to strike because there are so many things necessary to receive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

It is my Mom's 70th birthday today ... I tried to mail a card early last week ( Because the strike was rotating I thought maybe it would get there) and they had actually taped up the mail drop slots !!!!!

Sheeesh !!! Happy Birthday 70th MOM !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharileaView Post
I have a USA credit card that I use from time to time. I have to send my payment in to a PO box! So, I sure hope they resolve it soon. I can't Fedex, Purolator or UPS to a PO box. Only way to get my payment there is by postal service. I don't want to be late in paying because of these yahoo's on strike!
Sorry to hijack this thread, but unless you have complete knowledge about their collective bargaining issues and full, unbiased knowledge of their demands and the government's counter offer, calling the Canada Post workers, who have been LOCKED OUT, yahoos is irresponsible. These same workers were on rolling strikes before, and had guaranteed that any pension and government assistance cheques would be delivered regardless of any strike action by their membership. Yes it is an inconvenience, but since they have not been declared an essential service by our government, they have the right to strike just as the auto workers, lab services workers, university professors, teachers, and any other organized group that has a union in place charged with bargaining for them. Just like any dispute, there's the union's public side, the management's public side, and somewhere in the middle is the truth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

While it is a major inconvenience, I think we should be mad at the management at CP for not going back to the bargaining table instead of just waiting for the government to legislate their employees back to work. I can't really say I've been pro-union in the past and I used to work for a law firm in the labour law area (management clients) and have seen some ridiculous cases. What I don't like seeing is that many employers in Canada are gutting pension plans and proposing two-tiered working systems. That's just wrong on so many fronts. Once they lower the bar for unionized employees then bar will eventually then be lowered in non-unionized environments as well.

I could see some of what Canada Post is asking for as justified if they hadn't made a significant profit over the past 15 years despite having these perks all along that they now mysteriously say they can't afford. I also don't like that despite many communities in urban areas growing and expanding, door to door delivery has been cut back and they want everybody using community mailboxes. There's a way to make it work for both parties but they have to negotiate to get there.

Last edited by lharnish; 06-20-2011 at 06:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnieuView Post
I ordered something with Stamping Bella on 5/17 and it is still processing as well... and I was charged. I emailed and they said they were having trouble with their vulcanizer and would advise me when they had more info....Have no idea when I am getting my order. It wasn't a post problem.
Stamping Bella ships with UPS so you shouldn't have a problem getting your parcel. I do find they are slow to ship compared to other places I shop...it's faster for me to drive to their store when I *need* something.

As for the CP strike, I actually am fine with it. I look at it as a temporary saving measure for my shopping habit

I do however feel sorry for people who rely on it for their businesses. It's really the most economical way to ship things and it is really going to effect the little guy.

I know that personally I won't shop at places in the U.S. who use UPS or FedEx etc. bc their brokerage fees are ridiculous so until CP is back, my internet shopping is on summer vacation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbook4everView Post
Lucky for me I have a US PO box for on-line purchases. I live in an Ontario border city. Other than that, I think postal workers should not be allowed to strike because there are so many things necessary to receive.
Great that you have a US postal box. That would sure save on the shipping costs from some US on-line stores. I know some of them can be very EXPENSIVE for shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but unless you have complete knowledge about their collective bargaining issues and full, unbiased knowledge of their demands and the government's counter offer, calling the Canada Post workers, who have been LOCKED OUT, yahoos is irresponsible. These same workers were on rolling strikes before, and had guaranteed that any pension and government assistance cheques would be delivered regardless of any strike action by their membership. Yes it is an inconvenience, but since they have not been declared an essential service by our government, they have the right to strike just as the auto workers, lab services workers, university professors, teachers, and any other organized group that has a union in place charged with bargaining for them. Just like any dispute, there's the union's public side, the management's public side, and somewhere in the middle is the truth.
I agree that they have a right to strike, but I have a right to my frustrations with it and to express my opinion about it! If you knew me, you would know that I use the word "yahoo" all the time. It's not personal. I think you took my post way to seriously!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I didn't start this thread to debate whether the postal workers have the right to strike or not or whether the goverment should get involved or not, I just wanted to express my frustration at how this affects our daily lives when it comes to ordering things and mailing cards and them being stuck in a warehouse or not ordering or sending because we don't know how long the strike is going to last. I didn't mean for this to become a conflict when someone expresses there own personal frustrations/opinion and someone else getting upset with that opinion, we all have the right to our frustrations and opinions without being condemed for them. As for the pension and social assistance cheques Canada post has said that they will be delivered even if the lock out continues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

It looks like the gov't will be putting through the "back to work" legislation either today or tomorrow. The NDP are opposing it, but it's unlikely that they can actually stop it with the gov't being a Conservative majority. The CUPW and Canada Post are meeting today to start negotiating again. Hopefully it gets resolved one way or another this week. Then we can start mailing cards and online ordering again! Yipee!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackie1View Post
I didn't start this thread to debate whether the postal workers have the right to strike or not or whether the goverment should get involved or not, I just wanted to express my frustration at how this affects our daily lives when it comes to ordering things and mailing cards and them being stuck in a warehouse or not ordering or sending because we don't know how long the strike is going to last. I didn't mean for this to become a conflict when someone expresses there own personal frustrations/opinion and someone else getting upset with that opinion, we all have the right to our frustrations and opinions without being condemed for them. As for the pension and social assistance cheques Canada post has said that they will be delivered even if the lock out continues.
I share your frustration as well. I was only trying to point out that I think the posties are getting a bad wrap for trying to stand up for preserving benefits and pensions that were hard fought for. I've got a parcel coming from Oh My Crafts that is probably stuck somewhere in this mess as well. I suspect you weren't directing this directly at me but another posting. If so, I also felt that one was a bit out of line with calling the posties "yahoo's". I can't think of a time or place ever where it would be considered respectable or polite to call anyone a "yahoo".

I hope it ends soon too. Just sharing your pain :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I agree that they have a right to strike, but I have a right to my frustrations with it and to express my opinion about it! If you knew me, you would know that I use the word "yahoo" all the time. It's not personal. I think you took my post way to seriously!
You are correct - I don't know you. Just as you don't know me. What if I was one of those "yahoos" who work for CP and because I am now on strike, have some time on my hands to surf the web? Do you not think I might be offended by that comment? My point was that the term "yahoo" has negative connotations to it, regardless of whether you use it all the time or not, and whether or not you feel it is not personal.

You do have the right to express your frustrations - that is what forums are for. Just as I have a right to express my frustrations at seeing people (and not just you) time and time again belittle someone with negative words using the relative anonymity of an online forum.

Enough said from me, I'll leave this thread and let the rest have their say as they see fit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
You are correct - I don't know you. Just as you don't know me. What if I was one of those "yahoos" who work for CP and because I am now on strike, have some time on my hands to surf the web? Do you not think I might be offended by that comment? My point was that the term "yahoo" has negative connotations to it, regardless of whether you use it all the time or not, and whether or not you feel it is not personal.

You do have the right to express your frustrations - that is what forums are for. Just as I have a right to express my frustrations at seeing people (and not just you) time and time again belittle someone with negative words using the relative anonymity of an online forum.

Enough said from me, I'll leave this thread and let the rest have their say as they see fit.
Again....way too serious! I am sorry my use of the word "yahoo" offended you. It wasn't meant to belittle anybody. I call myself a "yahoo" all the time! It's just an expression that I use, and hear other people use here all the time. Must be a Western thing. I noticed that both people that thought it was mean are from the East coast.

So, needless to say, I am sorry. I think what I was trying to say was misunderstood. I should have just used the words "these people" instead of "these yahoo's".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Anyway, back to our orignal programming......here's an updated article. Canada Post talks restart as back-to-work bill looms - Canada - CBC News Looks like they will introduce the bill today, but can't vote on it until Thursday. Which is the last day for parliament to be in house. Looks like they are saying that they will sit through Saturday if that's what it takes to get the bill passed. So, one way or another the strike/lockout will be resolved by next week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Again....way too serious! I am sorry my use of the word "yahoo" offended you. It wasn't meant to belittle anybody. I call myself a "yahoo" all the time! It's just an expression that I use, and hear other people use here all the time. Must be a Western thing. I noticed that both people that thought it was mean are from the East coast.

So, needless to say, I am sorry. I think what I was trying to say was misunderstood. I should have just used the words "these people" instead of "these yahoo's".
I might be from the East Coast but have you ever looked up the definition of a "yahoo"?

noun /ˈy�ˌho͞o/  /y�ˈho͞o/ 
yahoos, plural

1. A rude, noisy, or violent person

# yahoo - yokel: a person who is not very intelligent or interested in culture
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

And on another note, I didn't know Ontario was on the East Coast. I thought it was in the middle of Canada. Flash&Rusty, welcome to the East Coast! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

I agree with the last bit about it going back to not being able to receive, send or order anything because of the strike. This has nothing to do with why they are on strike or what our opinions are as to whether the strike is right or wrong or calling others names because of it, it has to do with not being able to get our stuff through the mail.

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 06-20-2011 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: removed quoted post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #27  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Hey guys -

Let's get back to stamping talk, shall we?

Political discussions belong in our Current Events forum.

Also, please visit our site posting rules in the footer about respect and courtesy. This is a place whee everyone needs to feel comfortable and stampy.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you, Lydia.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

I am sorry that this turned into a political discussion, that was not why I started this thread and in no way did I want it to turn into what it has. Can you please remove this thread if that is possible. I do not want any more discussion about something that is not in our control and is causing so many unnecessary comments. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I'm leaving all of the debate over the job action itself right out of this, and hope to return to the original intent...

I was a little sad too - my birthday was right in the middle of this. I'm also our school's jump rope for heart coordinator, and I wanted to distribute student prizes before school lets out, so I'm out of luck there, too! I can hardly wait for mail service to resume (to get those missing birthday cards!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I keep checking this thread to see if the strike has been settled yet! Looks like it has not. It sure is hard sending things to Canada with this strke going..........any news as to when they MIGHT settle??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

P S I hate to think of all the mail collecting at the border!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

I'm frustrated with the strike too !!

It's not even saving me money....I"m still buying but thankfully the few places I shop at are willing to hold my parcels till the strike is over.

And although I personally side with the postal workers who were trying to have some job action with minimal impact till they were locked out by Canada post, the fact is that MY government cheque (EI as I'm on Maternity leave) has not come through....so THAT will definitely put an end to future purchases till I can get paid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post
P S I hate to think of all the mail collecting at the border!!
Argh, one of those would be mine! And we're moving to AB next week.:mad:

Breath, it's just stamps. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I hate to pile on...

BUT.... Even when the Canadian Post is not on strike, getting mail through Canadian Customs takes forever!

Okay. Done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 04:57 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabestampin'View Post
Argh, one of those would be mine! And we're moving to AB next week.:mad:

Breath, it's just stamps. ;)
Could a friend get your mail from your old place and reroute it for you once this is all over? I would hate to see you not be able to get your stamps because of all of this. Happy moving and be careful going through Saskatchewan, we have water everywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackie1View Post
Could a friend get your mail from your old place and reroute it for you once this is all over? I would hate to see you not be able to get your stamps because of all of this. Happy moving and be careful going through Saskatchewan, we have water everywhere.
For a small fee, you can just get mail forwarding from the Post Office. I think it's for 6 months and costs about $30. That's what I'd do.

The mail service should resume next week if all goes well with passing the "back to work" legislation this week. Still nothing about whether the Senate is going to sit tomorrow to get the bill passed, but the MP's have vowed to sit through the weekend if need be. So, assuming it takes until Saturday to pass the bill....then the Governor General needs to sign the bill (probably Monday) and within 24 hours posties will have to go back to work. Maybe next Tuesday or Wednesday?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

And we're moving to AB next week. ;)
I'd wait on mail for a year if it meant getting out of MB headed to AB. I'm so envious. Hope the move goes well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

And we're moving to AB next week.:mad:
Lucky you! Welcome to a fantastic province to live in! (On top of a very long list of reasons why I think it's such a great place to live, there's no PST!) Hope your stamps arrive safely before you leave. Hopefully things get back to 'normal' soon with the mail service and your stamps figure out that Alberta is the place to be without to much confusion!
Founding Member of the Punchkateerz - "You don't have to be crazy to be one of us, but it sure helps."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

For a small fee, you can just get mail forwarding from the Post Office. I think it's for 6 months and costs about $30. That's what I'd do.

The mail service should resume next week if all goes well with passing the "back to work" legislation this week. Still nothing about whether the Senate is going to sit tomorrow to get the bill passed, but the MP's have vowed to sit through the weekend if need be. So, assuming it takes until Saturday to pass the bill....then the Governor General needs to sign the bill (probably Monday) and within 24 hours posties will have to go back to work. Maybe next Tuesday or Wednesday?

With the strike on can you still get the address change done?
Reply With Quote Likes