Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question removing VersaMark ink from stamp

I have a stamp that I seldom use, but when I do, I ink it up with VersaMark and emboss the image. I always clean my stamps after using them, but the VersaMark seems to have remained on this stamp and it is very sticky. I cleaned it with several varieties of stamp cleaner including Ultra Clean and Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Tree. Nothing gets the stickiness off. In desperation, I rubbed some Goo Gone on the stamp, but it was still sticky when I scrubbed if off on my stamp cleaning pad. Any suggestions for what else I can try?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read blogs where people have said they don't clean the VersaMark off and I guess it's ok to stamp with it like that. I don't know if it affects the next stamped image or not. I've used Dawn detergent. I lather the stamp, rinse it and let it air dry. I never checked it for stickiness after it was dry. It's supposed to cut grease so that's why I figured using it on stamps was a good idea. Just have to rinse it well.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #3  

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Have you tried letting it set overnight with Ultra Clean stamp cleaner on it? I tried this recently with a stamp I had purchased used which was covered with dried on Versamark, and it took the residue off. I then cleaned the stamp with a rose-scented stamp cleaner/conditioner. The stamp now looks nearly new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I have used the Staz On cleaner before and it seemed to get the sticy/tacky residue off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

If you've cleaned your stamp well after using the Versa Mark, and it's still sticky, there might be something wrong with your stamp (or your Versa Mark). It shouldn't still be sticky after all that cleaning. I use a plain baby wipe sometimes, and all the VM comes off with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I wipe the excess off with a baby wipe and then use Ultra Clean and my stamp scrubber...

I have had a couple that have so much detail it is hard to clean out, I use a mushroom scrubber to clean them...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2011, 04:47 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a rubber sentiment stamp that remained all sticky despite my cleaning efforts and the rubber has actually broken down and I can no longer use it - so possibly that might be happening to your stamp if none of the different types/ways of cleaning it make any difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I tried all the suggestions given, but I think my stamp is actually breaking down and I won't be able to use it anymore. I appreciate everyone's help. I'll be more careful when using VersaMark on my stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

When my stamp first became sticky, it was when I cleaned it with my stamp cleaner but accidentally left the stamp to dry face down on some recycled home brand paper towel instead of face up. I figured out later on that the paper towel must have been "acidic" when damp and the dampness of the towel affected the surface of the rubber and the rubber just kept breaking down from then on. So it might not be the versamark ink. Sorry for you though - it's so annoying when it happens :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

To clean my stamps that have dried versamark I use either Simple Green or Suave Naturals coconut shampoo. I noticed that no one mentioned that you have to use a stiff toothbrush to scrub and scrub and scrub. Dried versamark gets really stiff sticky after a time and it takes work to get it out. It is like old dried lubricating grease that gets dirty and hard and takes a screwdriver to remove ;) I also must say that even the old stamps that I bought with dried-on versamark, then cleaned, have never broken down. Give this method a try.

I never leave versamark on my stamps at all. I clean thoroughly after every use.

And about rubber stamps hardening...Rubber hardens over time after exposure to heat and air and light. Keep them conditioned with stamp cleaner/conditioner and you will have that happen later rather than sooner. But it will eventually happen.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 06-13-2011 at 04:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I use Stazon stamp cleaner to remove the VersaMark ink. I believe it's the best product as the VersaMark is a different ink than the color ones. I wouldn't use the other chemicals mentioned in previous posts, they will, over time damage your stamps. The chemical cleaners mentioned are not meant to clean rubber or clear stamps, not to mention the expense of them.

I have no problem with any residue remaining on my stamps after cleaning the VersaMark off with Stazon. Yes, I do clean my stamps IMMEDIATELY after stamping the image......it only takes a moment, but can make all the difference.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2011, 04:24 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

You also might be interested to know that the main component in Versamark ink is also the main component in most stamp conditioners...glycerin. (also in most craft inks)

But glycerin builds up and fills up the grooves in your stamp. Eventually your image is altered. You need to clean that up and it is easier done when fresh.

Here's an interesting thread to read:
http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=611

Also, I have found that some of my rubber stamps have appeared to be "hardening". The surface gets what looks like it is glazed and hard. I didn't want to throw those stamps away so I cleaned them with a really stiff brush and the shampoo I mentioned above. The glaze was removed and my stamps looked new again...and they acted new again. I guess anything can leave a residue on the rubber and gradually dry and harden.

Don't give up yet!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just used some versamark ink the other day. I cleaned it with the cleaner that smells like bubble gum. I think I got it at Hobby Lobby. It cleaned it with no problem. No sticky.

I've not had a problem with it being sticky in the past. Your VersaMark ink could be old and needing more ink on the pad.

This would cause the sticky problem.

Hope you get it cleaned!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparcl77View Post
I have a stamp that I seldom use, but when I do, I ink it up with VersaMark and emboss the image. I always clean my stamps after using them, but the VersaMark seems to have remained on this stamp and it is very sticky. I cleaned it with several varieties of stamp cleaner including Ultra Clean and Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Tree. Nothing gets the stickiness off. In desperation, I rubbed some Goo Gone on the stamp, but it was still sticky when I scrubbed if off on my stamp cleaning pad. Any suggestions for what else I can try?
Kiss Off will remove stickies and/or ink residue...dampen the stamp and rub KO over it. Let it sit overnight, scrub clean with a soft, damp toothbrush (I use a cheapo battery one), and pat the stamp dry. Deeply stained stamps may need a second 'treatment.'

KO can be left on stamps for ages and ages if you don't have time to clean them...this stuff will not harm any type of stamp (clear or rubber).

I've gotten dried printers ink off stamps with KO, works with alcohol-based inks too.

Michaels usually has it (it's in a large tube).

Last edited by craftdesigns; 06-16-2011 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Default VersaMark on stamp

Thanks for all these great suggestions. I think my rubber has already broken down on the stamp, but I'll keep these ideas in mind for the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
I just used some versamark ink the other day. I cleaned it with the cleaner that smells like bubble gum. I think I got it at Hobby Lobby. It cleaned it with no problem. No sticky.
This is the same stuff I use, and I never have a problem. I belive it's from Ranger, but I'm too lazy to walk downstairs to look. My oldest stamps are 9 or 10 years old, and have no signs of hardening or getting sticky. FWIW, a bottle of it lasts forever, and it really works well. It's an item well worth buying.
Reply With Quote Likes