Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-30-2004, 08:15 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaking of hoarding supplies....

How many of you buy stamping supplies and don't use them because you don't want to use them up? I saw the post about Beate and the scrabble tiles and I'm the same way! I hardly ever use my designer paper because there's only 2 pieces of each design and don't want to run out! I have yet to open my copper and brass metal edge tags because I don't want to use them up! Geeeez, I'm only a demo and can order it anytime I want!

Anyone else 'hoard', or should I say "guard with their lives", their supplies and 'freak' when someone wants to use them?

p.s...I'm happy just to look at my stuff without having to use them! Does that qualify me as a pack rat? LOL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 09:21 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I have been hoarding my Japanese washi paper since I purchased it in Japan around 1993. Sheet after sheet of gorgeous paper waiting to be used!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Yep, I hear ya. I used to be really bad. More of a collector, then a user. But with SU supplies - I don't mind using them up. It means that I'm showing people how to use the SU products, which should equal purchases. However, I'm still stingy with my non-SU stuff.

Have... to... learn... to... let... go...
Actually - I have to learn to let go in many areas of my life.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 09:35 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hehehe!! That's me! :mrgreen:

I hoard my Designer Papers, Eyelets, Tags (both die-cut and metal edge). I get it and I show my Mom "Oooo! Look at this!" then I put it away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 10:05 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Default re: hoarding

Okay, I'm new to this. But the hoarding thing really hits home! I have a million and one inspiration sheets and I'm finally starting to let go of them! I really make my customers work for them! I have some background papers still in the wrapper that have now retired and I can't even demo or swap with them! UGH! Hi! My name is Chrissy and I'm a hoarding addict!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 10:13 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Welcome Chrissy

I'm not a demo, but when I do swaps, I don't like to use designer papers. If I do I usually try to use a small piece! I find that it's harder to let go when I don't know the person receiving it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 10:53 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am one of the worst all-time hoarders. My dh can attest to this. Sad, but true. The evidence is in the storage unit we pay for each month across town . . . vintage china, ENDLESS craft products and tools from my pre-stamping days(!) , my daughter's bassinet, fabric (I don't even sew!!!! but it was soooo pretty!), things picked up at garage sales with some sort of "idea" in mind, things picked up at antique shops, etc.

It is a wasteland; I should just haul everything out to the dump, but I'm worried I'll accidentally toss some family heirloom away and regret it forever . . . and, I loathe the idea of sitting there for days and days, sorting, so there it all sits . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 10:59 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Julie - Hold a yard sale! Think of all the Stamping money you could get!!!

That's what I'm doing. You don't even want to see all the flannel fabric I have for the endless baby blankets I was going to make. Yeah, right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2004, 11:34 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Because I DO SEW...or did before stamping became the creative outlet of choice, people were always giving me material that they had laying around...I have three or four LARGE rubbermaid totes of fabric in my garage just sitting there....and it doesn't even call my name! So I just said to my husband since we were in the garage getting out all the cute baby clothes to get ready for the little bundle anyway, that I should just GO THROUGH IT AND GOODWILL IT!!! So maybe tomorrow...or later today I will do that...it must be done!
But as for stamping supplies, I generally use my stuff but not as much as I should...I never share my tags at my demos and I am sure that if I did I would sell them...you all have helped me realize that I NEED TO SHARE....how often I say that to my "almost two" year old, Elliott!!!
So I now vow to remove excess junk from garage and share limited treasure!!! Amen...Lol :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 01:44 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, but half the fun of stamping is using all the wonderful embellishments! They allow you to be so creative, and give all your projects that extra "something" that sets them apart. Start using that stuff! You can always buy more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 01:56 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Default hording

I resemble these remarks! LOL

I've not used the Stampin UP mesh that I HAD to have when it first came out. Just seems too precious to use! I also horde specialty paper, vellem tags, you name it. I'll horde it.

Sigh.....well, admitting the problem is the first step in recovery.
;)
Nan in NY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 02:04 AM   #12  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I am the same... being that I am not a demo I would have to order more if I used it. I find that with my vellum and designer papers that just sit there because you do only get 2 sheets of each!! lol... hubby thinks I am nuts!! I also use to hoard my mono adhesive, making the kids use glue sticks YUCK!! now since order from Viking at such a great price I use it all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 02:17 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Mono adhesive

Hi Kar.
Can you tell me how many ft. or yards are on the Mono adhesive that you get from Viking? I want to do a cost comparison.
Nan in NY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 02:25 AM   #14  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

they are the normal 472 inches. Don't think they come in any other size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 02:51 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Mono

Thanks Kar.

I've been buying Easy-Stick double stick adhesive from Wal-Mart.
The four pack costs around $8.something. There are 335 in. per cartridge. So, if you are buying in quantity from Viking and getting 472" per cartridge for $2.29 ea., that is a better deal. I might better order from Viking is shipping doesn't cancel the saving out.

Thanks for the info!
Nan in NY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 02:58 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've never been happy with any of the adhesives I buy at Walmart. Mono is it for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 03:49 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Maybe I don't "Hoard" things but I'm v-e-r-y careful when using some of stuff. fortunately, I don't have some of the things you ladies have mentioned or I definitely would hoard them :>)

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 04:32 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default mono adhesive

This is my first time posting so I hope I get this right. If you plan to order mono from Viking office supply use the following item code: QP7-62202.
It should come up at $1.88 each!!!!! Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 04:39 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I have a terrible time cutting a 12x12 piece of paper when I only need a small amount. I have been doing a better job of it. I also "collect" supplies, but have been making an effort to use what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 04:45 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I just went thru a bunch of my stuff last night - poor hubby came upstairs and looked at our bed covered in stuff...

I found so many things I didn't know I had - I found some great watercolor pencils - 2 packs - 1 basic colors 1 pastel colors and a small palette of chalks...who knew I had them there - I got out my blender pen to see if they would blend well and they did great (I bought them before I got into stamping)....I also found a whole envelope of fantastic metal goodies from a swap I was in awhile ago - they all look so pretty I don't know if I even want to use them...

I am slowly trying to use up all my non-SU stuff in my scrapbooks so that when I have to buy new I will have to buy SU - darn that cardstock - now nothing measures up....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 04:58 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree w/ all of y'all! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE specialty paper/stamp stores. My heart races just walking into a Staples or Home Depot! Is it the smell? Maybe. But, maybe it's the quantity that makes my heart pitter-patter!

In fact, from my desire to buy & horde, maybe I'm trying to make my own little "store" up in the guest room. I love showing what I've collected to my special stamping friends much more than I like to actually use it! & I love looking at their finds. One of them keeps everything in a tacklebox type craft keeper & I swear it's like opening a treasure chest! The explosion of embellishments has sent us into hording orbit! There's so much out there to have!

I haven't used my brass & copper tags yet either! I was saying in my head they're more of a fall item. Maybe in Sep. I'll break the seal. Maybe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 08:20 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Nan, the great thing about Viking is that shipping is free on orders over $25....

HTH,
Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 08:52 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am such a hoarder! I have every little craft that I have ever started and not finished.
As for Stamping and Scrapbooking - I have TONS of stuff. I was trying to find yet another place to put some paper the other day and had to clean out a spot and in the process I found some stuff that I purchased a while back and had to find a spot for it so I could find it later....and so on.... by the time I was done I was thinking I needed a larger spot for my stuff!! Now I have my things in a large closet with a 6 foot table at the end. My dh got me a new office chair and I am so comfy but crouded with all my hoarded stuff! Designer paper is my toughest to let go of. I love all the great examples using it but I just dont want to let it go!!!

Maybe there is a 12 step program for us who hoard stuff!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 08:54 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Default hoarding supplies

My name is Suzanne & I'm a rubberstampaholic. It's been 9 hours since my last stamp session. LOL

I've take over the family room with my supplies......just check out my gallery.........the tv's still there but there's only 1 comfy chair (have to have it for Baron, my spoiled rotten dog) & it's not in the right place for comfy tv viewing. However, my stamping table is positioned just right for watching/listening to movies. LOL

My biggest problem is letting go & allowing people to use my precious supplies when I know they aren't very careful. I HATE stained rubber & wood!! I work at a vet hospital & we send cards to our clients a lot. We've had some stamping parties to make lots of cards at once & my stuff got trashed. I spent hours cleaning, bleaching, soaking, remounting, scrubbing, etc. Any of you use the Colorbox fluid chalk stamp pads? They are extremely juicy & only need a light touch for inking the stamp. 2 of the gals pressed so hard on the black pad (of course) & practically inked the whole block, top & all. I know some people think that stained stamps means you love your stamps, but I don't buy it. I love all my stamps! I can't let go!
Suzanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 09:08 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes. I hoard supplies..... How many buttons/eyelets do I have??? I have the SU buttons and have not used them because I don't want to run out. I do the same with the designer paper. A few months ago, I went through a bunch of stickers and gave them away because I knew I'd never use them... That's good- right???

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I find myself gravitating toward card designs that use the colors I have in full packs, because I don't want to run out of any of them! I try to get a color or two with each order I place, so I'm slowly building up my stash of options!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 09:28 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

I just opened my stash of metal edged tags for a swap I did. I took them out of the drawer and tossed them on the table and then they sat there for a couple of days b/c I kept hemming and hawing over whether to use them or not. I finally did and loved the result. Must use them more often. I know I can buy more but I just can't seem to let go sometimes. Eyelets and brads are no problem but designer papers, buttons, ribbon, metal tags...I have a much harder time. I just bought some really nice patterned vellum the other day and my dh said, "So are you going to actually use it or just look at it?" Well, I bought 2 of each so I can use one and just look at the other! lol

So I guess I am a hoarder to an extent. I eventually use them. Eventually. lol
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 11:54 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I think this falls under "hoarding"
I buy stamp sets that are going to be retiring because I know as soon as they retire SOMEONE will be looking for it. I do NOT know why I do this?? I was really bad during the 15th anniversary year.
I must have issues :lol:
But at least I have the stamp set
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 12:06 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hoarding... you say it like it's a bad thing. What happens the day that all the computers go haywire and you can't order online, can't buy retail, can't do anything but sit at home and.... be creative? I'll be prepared. I've got stuff I don't know I have. When I was a new SU! demonstrator, I strived to own all the colors of 8 1/2 x 11 c/s. Then I moved on to 12 x 12 and then to having two packages of each, then 3, you see where this is going! What if a customer calls and desperately needs something NOW? I'm ready (I may not be able to find it, but I've got it.... somewhere.... give me a minute...!) Majority rules, and everyone here seems to enjoy having plenty of supplies for when the creativity hits, so I see no problem or addiction issues. (I've gotten so good at justifying my buying to my SO that I believe it myself!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 12:09 PM   #30  

Default Re: hoarding supplies

Quote:

Originally Posted by baronsmom
My biggest problem is letting go & allowing people to use my precious supplies when I know they aren't very careful. I HATE stained rubber & wood!! I work at a vet hospital & we send cards to our clients a lot. We've had some stamping parties to make lots of cards at once & my stuff got trashed. I spent hours cleaning, bleaching, soaking, remounting, scrubbing, etc. Any of you use the Colorbox fluid chalk stamp pads? They are extremely juicy & only need a light touch for inking the stamp. 2 of the gals pressed so hard on the black pad (of course) & practically inked the whole block, top & all. I know some people think that stained stamps means you love your stamps, but I don't buy it. I love all my stamps! I can't let go!
Suzanne
I can sooooooooo relate to this! I am so anal! I can't stand to let my kids use my stamps, so I have broken down a bought them their own sets to do with what they wish, but that even still bugs me!

I also hoard my supplies. My swaps are never very pretty, because I have a very hard time using 4 eyelets X 20 cards! Or using too many layers of paper! ACK! I need to get over these issues or my swaps will never be WOW'sers. It's good to know that I'm not alone though!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 12:35 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Yup, I'm a hoarder as well. The WORST thing is that I go to Michaels with my 40% off coupon and buy more stuff that I just CAN'T seem to use! Alas, maybe this nice LONG holiday weekend I'll try to start using some of the really cool stuff like shaped eyelets, metal tags, charms...the list goes on and on! LOL!

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 12:52 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

I seem buy the latest and newest product on the market and then never do anything with it. I was on an altered book kick, got tons ephemera and just like to look at it cuz it's so neat.

Stampinalot-It's a holiday weekend, I bet there is a 50% and a 40% off coupon in the Micheal's ad this Sunday!!!!! Iused the last 50% off coupon for my Ott lite and have never regretted it!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 04:29 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I think I may be in "Hoarder recovery". I have just sold 3 stamp sets (long retired) and have done a swap using metal edge tags and double eyelets (small inside big). I have been forced to tidy my stamping area and am now enjoying sitting and creating cards again, knowing that I have a little extra cash to spend when the new catalog comes out.

However, I have moving boxes full of photos that I still haven't gone thorugh, and loads of old work stuff (we moved 7 years ago and I haven't done that job since). I also have my mother's sewing stuff, fabrics, wool/yarn, knitting needles and I don't sew, knot or crochet. We also have most of the children's toys and my DH still has boxes of computer parts that were stored in England before we came over and are now stored here. I think I need a visit from Clean Sweep or Mission Organisation!
Cate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Default Re: re: hoarding

Quote:

Originally Posted by mschris
Hi! My name is Chrissy and I'm a hoarding addict!
Hi! My name is Elaine and I too am a hoaring addict! Whatever is cool and new I purchase in multiples and then stash them away. Eyelets, tags, porcelain ornaments...

I've got it bad! :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 05:10 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

One word....Paper!

I absolutely looove to collect paper. I always say I'm going to use it in my scrapbook...but then I think what if I can't find anymore. Hehe but recently I've started using it because the more I use, the more I can buy!

I too am looking forward to a 50% off coupon for Michael's..I wan a Xyron =)

wife to Michael, Mother to 3 beautiful girls-Jordan, Emery, & Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 06:20 PM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

Default hoarder?

And I thought it was just me....some sickeness...fever, whatever you call it...I hoard too! I can use ribbon and eyelets but like the rest of you those darn copper tags just sit there. Oh, I did take them to my parties to SHOW. I think I did use one, once. I do use a lot of accessories at my home classes and boy, do they sell. So, to every hoarder out there - use those accessories so others will want them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 06:33 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

My dh's cousin and I have grown up as crafters and both enjoy similar crafts. Her father has a name for us. It's "Accumulators"

The hardest thing for me to let go of is ribbon. I was GIVEN a huge box of ribbon by someone that works for Offray and still had trouble using it. So last Christmas, I decided I had to let go. I used lots of it wrapping special packages and they looked wonderful. After that, I've been a lot better. Also the fact that SU ribbon is 25 yds to the roll.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 06:42 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Whew! I'm glad to hear how many people are like this and that I'm not alone! LOL...maybe this weekend I'll slowly start using some of my stuff.

One think I don't have a problem with is the wood getting inked (by gentle use, of course). It shows that I use them and gives them character! I let my son use my stuff, but I usually only let him use the spots, not the full size pads!

I say...share the love.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Default here's another twist on hoarding....

Whenever I see anyone trying to trade away some of my favorite sets that I ALREADY own, I try to think of a way to justify trading them for it, so I can have TWO. I can't think how I would *use* two of that stamp set, but it kills me to see someone trading it away when I know how much I love it! I think "I could give this to someone whom I know would love it, I can't stand it going to waste..." etc.

I also hoard eyelets, designer paper, ribbon, & especially Stampin' Mist. (?don't know why?) etc. I'm so glad I'm not alone, lol...

Christy Whetten :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 11:22 AM   #40  
Watercolor Wizard

well, I guess I dont hoard. I just fall behind and now I have all this stuff that I want to use, just not enough time. Thank God for stamp camp. LOL

I have favorite papers too, but I tend to use them most. I guess I am just the opposite. If I love it, I spread my joy. If I dont particulary care for a color in a pack, it will sit, and never get used. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes