Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A source for royalty free images

I have purchased books with CD's of royalty free images from Dover publications for years. They are very inexpensive and most come with a CD

I just saw a sneak peek of a new silhouette image on Gina K's site. It is part of her newest STampTV kit . She calls it "You've Got Moxie"
It is from the dover book "150 Silhouette Designs " on page 19. The book comes with a CD
ISBN 0-486-99749-9
When I saw it I recognized it from a book I have

Anyone can use these designs
Amazon.com: 150 Silhouette Designs (Dover Electronic Clip Art) (CD-ROM and Book) (9780486997490): Rico Prosperoso: Books

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 05-26-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I have never purchased these but have seen many of them!!

Looks like a really good deal!! And they wouldn't take up a lot of room!!

I haven't checked out Gina's site yet but plan to later today!!

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Tammy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its it exactly the same image- you should email Gina K and let her know.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a lot of these books. As I said most come with a CD so if a person does Digi stamping this is a very economical way to get a lot of images.

They also some some fantastic ones with colored old fashioned prints.

If you go to Dover and sign up for their news letter you wil get "free sample" images every Friday.

Memorial Day Sale

Scroll Down to the bottom and you will see a link for "Free Samples" that is where you sign up for the newsletter.
The free samples let you see some of the images in the book and they are digi and usable . Save them to your computer. I have an extensive file of Free sample images from them.
You can import these into a word document and resize them.

They are also starting to offer Vector images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
its it exactly the same image- you should email Gina K and let her know.

Sheena
Yes the silhouette is "exactly " as on page 19 of my book. However, it doesn't say "You've got Moxie" . I am sure Gina knows where it came from. They are royalty free so she can use them
Sunday International did a bunch of Asian stamps from a Dover book I have too.

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 05-26-2011 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I don't think that is all that uncommon. I was downloading some brushes for GIMP a couple of weeks back - and one of them is also an Inkadinkado stamp somebody gave me, I recognised it instantly .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

If someone can tell me how to post a thumb nail in this forum I will scan page 19 and show you the image
I think it is very common

When you go to the Dover website you can ask for a free catalog(s) . The best one for us is the one for Digital images. It has 47 pages showing many different books on each page. When you get it You will be in "Digi image candy land" LOL

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 05-26-2011 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

It is very common for stamp companies to use copywrite free images. If you look at lots of the Crafty Secrets designs they are vintage images that I've seen in art work in many places and therefore I assume they do the same thing.

I personally would rather have the stamp in rubber than a digital image as it allows for more versatility for techniques.

But that being said though I look for more unique images in stamp designs---leaning towards original images that are hand drawn.

I'm honestly getting tired of ALL the stamp companies just copying each other's ideas each month. You can only use so many of the same "trendy" images KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer RView Post
I'm honestly getting tired of ALL the stamp companies just copying each other's ideas each month. You can only use so many of the same "trendy" images KWIM?
Oh you mean you are tired of bird cages and wire dress racks ? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm with you. The longer I've been stamping, the more each company starts to do the same thing. How many scallop/pennant/cloud etc.. dies do we need? It's almost funny, but-- to each her own.
Stamp designs are getting less and less unique though, I once saw a stamp listed on Ebay that was labelled as 'Brand X' when I had that same exact stamp from a different company. When I emailed the seller thinking she had made a mistake, she scanned the label and she was in fact correct. Two identical designs, from different companies.
Happens all the time if they don't have their own artists doing exclusive designs for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer RView Post
It is very common for stamp companies to use copywrite free images. If you look at lots of the Crafty Secrets designs they are vintage images that I've seen in art work in many places and therefore I assume they do the same thing.

I personally would rather have the stamp in rubber than a digital image as it allows for more versatility for techniques.

But that being said though I look for more unique images in stamp designs---leaning towards original images that are hand drawn.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

There are licensing fees associated with having Dover images made into stamps. Many of their images can be found in various stamp store collections. And licensing is non-exclusive, so multiple stores may carry the same images. I remember seeing a beautiful tulip border I have in a Dover book at Outlines before I knew they could be licensed for stamps.

I've attached the guidelines issued by Dover to assist customers in the use of their clip art. I have always loved the Dover collections and they can be a great resource for artwork to use in your projects.

P.S. If you do an online search, you can find many sources of downloadable royalty free art. Just check that it is truly free for noncommercial purposes.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Dover Permission.doc (23.0 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Phantom; 05-26-2011 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: cat hit the key before I was done! (the p.s. was me)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

No wonder so many places make stamps from Dover Images. It is only $15 per image for producing an unlimited number of stamps . And the license is valid forever.
Where could they get an artist for that ?
Plus the first sale pays for the cost of the art work and the stamp

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 05-26-2011 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
No wonder so many places make stamps from Dover Images. It is only $15 per image for producing an unlimited number of stamps . And the license is valid forever.

Where could they get an artist for that ?
I honestly hope you couldn't!! :^)

It really is a good deal ~ all you sacrifice is originality, but with all of the images in Dover's library, I imagine you could still be seeing them for a few years before the best ones have all been done, ;^) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, Barbara Jay - love the Edison quote!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I honestly hope you couldn't!! :^)

It really is a good deal ~ all you sacrifice is originality, but with all of the images in Dover's library, I imagine you could still be seeing them for a few years before the best ones have all been done, ;^) .
And Dover is always coming out with more books of images, I have my eye on a couple of the new Vector collections. They also have collections of brushes for anyone interested

My book "150 Silhouette Designs" has 36 silhouette images of old fashioned ladies in hats . I have seen a few of those in rubber stamps to
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I just saw a few snippets of Gina K's new stamp sets scheduled to be released tonight and the "Chic lady walking a dog" is in my Dover book too :lol::lol:
Page 22
I wonder how many more she used from this book ? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Wow, that's kind of sad and disappointing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a Photocentric Stampmaker machine the Dover images are also great to use to make your own clear stamps, I've made a few with them myself

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

What I find more astonishing is first they just use the Dover images, but then they set up Angel policies on how " you " can use them LOL
That is chutzpa ! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

What I find more astonishing is first they just use the Dover images, but then they set up Angel policies on how " you " can use them LOL
That is chutzpa ! :lol:
I see what you're saying Barbara, but you have to remember they are selling you a stamp and as an individual all you get (unless you have your own stamp maker) from Dover is the image. For some, the difference between an actual stamp and a digital image is HUGE - like night and day.

And even though the art itself (from Dover) may not be expensive for them to license, there is a lot more time and expense put into preparing, producing, packaging, marketing, selling, etc., the stamps and stamp sets in their final form.

Last edited by Phantom; 05-26-2011 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: clarify
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

@Nancy - I think she was talking about Gina's angel policy being applied to images that aren't really hers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Many companies use Royalty free Vintage Images. Even Tim Holtz. He has a gorgeous Mona Lisa stamp and I am pretty sure he wasn't the original artist.

In fact, a couple of stamp company owners and I have talked in the past about producing the same images. Yes, we do pay for them but unfortunately, I wasn't aware of the book and paid quite a bit more.

I love these Vintage images and LOVE doing stamping techniques that can't be done with a computer and printer. You need rubber and that's where the expense comes in. Plates, rubber, cushion, cutting- that's what is the most expensive part of stamp making.

I actually was planning to release a set of Flourishes last year that I purchased a license for, only to find out that another company that you all know and LOVE had already beat me to it! (Although theirs are clear so maybe some of your would like them in rubber.)

Again, it's not an uncommon practice to purchase art from a variety of sources and our new Vintage Chic kit is such a new style for our stamp line. We are excited to be able to purchase the license to make these images into stamps.

Hugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Regarding our angel policy. Our policy is that you can use our stamps for anything you want to make and sell. We put an angel policy into place because the majority of our stamp sets are created from art we own the copyrights too or that our artists own the copyrights to.

However, even in sets where we use Public Domain images, they are usually mixed with other images and greetings that we own the copyrights to so we feel a need to have an angel policy to help our customers feel comfortable using ALL of our images in the products they make and sell.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me. I would be more than happy to help you in any way I can.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by katestamps716View Post
@Nancy - I think she was talking about Gina's angel policy being applied to images that aren't really hers.
Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about too. The image is only part of the expense of creating stamps and selling them, no matter how much the art costs either to be created or purchased.

And I don't know about her specific products but I think it's unrealistic to expect a store owner to exempt individual images from their angel policy. She's obtained the license for the image and once she has done that it's up to her to determine restrictions on the use of her products.

If you've been resourceful, located the image, obtained it, and don't care that it's a digital image and not a stamp ~ then don't purchase the stamps.

The store owner and Dover Publications have both accepted the limits and permissions of the licensing agreement so no one is being taken advantage of or acting inappropriately here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's good to hear from you Gina! :^)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also would like to mention that unless sold as an individual image, don't discount the value of how those images are combined, sized and used within sets. Creating an appealing collection of stamps in a set is a talent all its own.

And Gina, best wishes for another successful release!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks Nancy!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

So for these images that you buy, more than one company can use them to make stamps?

Found tis stamp... STAMPABILITIES RUBBER STAMP SMOOCHIE POOCHIE LADY DOG | eBay

and it is the same one in the new kit but yours has polka dot added to the top of dress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellychickView Post
So for these images that you buy, more than one company can use them to make stamps?

Found tis stamp... STAMPABILITIES RUBBER STAMP SMOOCHIE POOCHIE LADY DOG | eBay

and it is the same one in the new kit but yours has polka dot added to the top of dress.
Yes, any stamp company can buy a license to use royalty free images.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for your answer Gina. I was worried that someone was stealing your work...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 02:59 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellychickView Post
Thanks for your answer Gina. I was worried that someone was stealing your work...
Ah, thank you for your concern but no- not in this case.

The majority of the art we purchase is exclusive to us and we own the copyrights.

Some of our images are owned by the original artists. Some, we purchase an exclusive license for and only we can create stamps from it. And a small majority of the art we purchase is through a non-exclusive license and others can use the images as well.

These are all standard practices in our industry. The most important thing is to know where the art came from, what the terms of use are and to keep a copy of it, dated, so that if the terms of use change down the line, you can show that your use of the art was permitted at the time you made the purchase.

I never like to purchase art from illustrators who use royalty free images directly or who use them to create derivative works unless I have a copy of the terms of use. It can get sticky and it's always better to be sure it's okay before you turn an image into rubber.

There are so many images out there that I see and think, that would make SUCH a cool stamp, especially when you love to do rubber stamping techniques with them the way I do. A printed version of a image is nice but to me, there is nothing like being able to emboss, thump, kiss, resist... (Ooh! Sounds a tiny bit naughty! LOL!!)

And if a stamp set is done well, it's not just the images but the coordination of images in conjunction with great phrases and greetings that makes it so easy to create fabulous finished projects.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 03:42 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Oh you mean you are tired of bird cages and wire dress racks ? LOL
How about cupcakes????

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
There are so many images out there that I see and think, that would make SUCH a cool stamp, especially when you love to do rubber stamping techniques with them the way I do. A printed version of a image is nice but to me, there is nothing like being able to emboss, thump, kiss, resist... (Ooh! Sounds a tiny bit naughty! LOL!!)

And if a stamp set is done well, it's not just the images but the coordination of images in conjunction with great phrases and greetings that makes it so easy to create fabulous finished projects.
Well said, Gina!
Reply With Quote Likes