View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #46
ceramicat1
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoManning View Post
Hi Denise,

The copyright is for the image only -- intellectual property is not really "tangible" -- even if it is an original drawing, it's not the paper and ink that are copyrighted -- it's what you see when you look at it and that belongs to the creator. That one copyright applies to that image whether you're looking at the piece of paper the artist drew on, a photo of drawing, a print of it, the reverse image in a rubber stamp or even the image ripped in half and tacked to a wall.

That's why you can't actually own another person's copyrighted image -- and why you can't trade or sell other copies of it without permission -- it's because the only thing you actually "own" is that piece of wood and rubber!

Even if you alter it it remains the intellectual copyright of the artist and you can't say -- print off 100 color copies of it at Kinkos (again, unless you have permission!)

That's actually a really good question by the way. Here's a great Canadian site you might like to check out with definitions for copyright terms as they apply to artists: Copyright for Visual Artists, Painters, Designers, Photographers, and Illustrators

xoMo

PS I should say that a copyright CAN be sold by the creator to someone else. I know some artists sell their copyrights to the companies they work for. But I guess they gotta eat!!
I do understand what you are saying. I don'tagree that the images made from a rubber stamp sold to an individual can't be sold by that individual. The closest craft related to this idea would ceramics. Companies create three diminsional artwork. From this item they create a case and make molds to sell to individuals to make copies of that original piece. Those molds are produced for the individual purchaser to make multiple copies and sell, give away or keep as they see fit. The original sculpture is an intellectual property. I also agree that is would be a violation to use the cast piece from the original mold to make additional molds to sell. In stamping I would see it as a violation to take a stamped image and a make a stamp from that image, especially if the intent were then to sell the stamps.

So I guess even though I have no intent to ever sell cards or stamped images, rubber stamp creators and companies will have to decide if they want to sell me stamps based on what I believe are my rights to the images. If they do not agree to my terms of use they need to accept the responsibility to not sell me their product.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
― Spider Robinson
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!