Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is your Craft supported by your spouse?

The thread asking whether your craft is unappreciated got me to thinking about who does support my hobbies and crafts.

I'd like to give a big shout out to my hubby who supports my hobbies and crafts and other activities. He's always great to support my volunteer activities and picks up the slack with the house and kids when I'm busy helping others. He's put up with years and years of my tole painting, knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilling and now stamping and card making. He also helps out with my gardening although I think if I ask him to move one more rock, he just might divorce me LOL! That being said, I support his extra curricular activities as well, but I sometimes seem to get more time/money for my stuff than him! He knows he is appreciated even if it really is "all about me" LOL!

Whenever there are items at his work going in the garbage that I might be able to recycle and use at home, he brings them home. As an example, I have a couple of wooden shelving units that were being demolished and discarded. These units would have cost a couple hundred dollars if hubby were to take the time to make something similar. They happened to fit my 12X12 paper perfectly. I also have a table top in pristine condition from a desk unit that was no longer needed at my work. He came in and helped me drag to the car and squeeze in. He then built legs for it to use in my craft room. If he sees unneeded containers or gizmos at work that might be useful for storage, he brings them home as well. Some men just wouldn't bother.

At the moment he's cutting out scrap wood to make me an ink pad holder, an ATG holder, and a heat gun stand. I found the pictures on line. Once I show him something, if he can't build it, he finds someone who can. He's trying to come up with a design for a combo unit for the ATG and heat gun holders. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

And, most importantly, he also shows lots of patience when on shopping trips as I browse the craft stores and scrapbooking stores searching for great deals.

So, take a moment to use this thread to give a shout out to the spouse, partner, boyfriend/girlfriend or main squeeze that helps support your addiction to this lovely hobby!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

My husband has never complained about all the crafts I do, but I wouldn't actually say that he supported me. Pretty much everytime he asks what I want for birthday or Christmas presents, I suggest something fun for me (SU stuff), but I am more likely to get something for the house. That really hurts, because I try to get presents for him that that he would like. I don't think that a steam mop or a crockpot is a personal gift. Maybe next time we need new tires for the car, I should tell him that that is his birthday present!

Val
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As long as I don't appear to be spending any money I get all the support in the world, LOL! I have a workable supply of stuff now so I just use coupons at Michaels and Joanns when I need basics like adhesive. I order from SU about 3-4 times a year and avoid impulse purchases. We're both retired by the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I am blessed that my late husband really was happy when I started crafting. He built me a space in the basement of my "own". He would go to the SU parties to pick me up and would NEVER rush me. He even took me to a craft fair to cheer me up when he was ill and attached to a chemo pump. I think back and count my lucky stars. Fast forward 5 years, and I am remarried to another gem as he is so supportive of my card making and crafts and even encourages me to take classes I want to take (I never had the nerve before). I am now selling my cards and he is my biggest fan.

Happy crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

My husband is very supportive of my "hobby". I have worked for years, helped put the
kids through college and never spent much on myself. So my husband is just fine with
what I spend. (And I still work). That said, I don't overspend either. Now that I've been
at this a few years, I think I have enough supplies (needed of course!!) to keep me
from overspending. The only thing he has ever said was when a package arrived for
me. He said something like --I'll have to order something so I can get a package in
the mail. I felt really bad and ordered some things that he had wanted. The smile on
his face was wonderful when I told him he had a package waiting on him
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

My husband has pretty much always supported my love of crafting. There was a time when he would cringe a little whenever I got an SU box delivered to the house but now as long as the bills are paid and food is on the table he doesn't mind too much. He is really great at building things for my studio. He installed a 10 foot long counter top and is in the process of making some drawers to go underneath part of it. On the other side of the room there is a 7 foot counter for more work space. He has built me shelves for all of my beading, stamping, crochet, glass painting, and cross-stitch books and magazines. He helps me set up and break down whenever I do a craft show. He promotes my creations at his office. He takes the kids away when I need them to be away (they are all teenagers but sometimes they still just want to hog the attention when I have an event at my house).
He has gotten a little pushy lately about me selling more of my stuff more consistently to help offset the money I spend on supplies but generally he doesn't complain.

He's pretty creative too though he doesn't get to spend as much time on his woodworking as I get to with my crafting since he has to work. I have to say though that he is making a pretty awesome tree fort for our youngest. It's multi-level and entirely made out of scrap wood that he either got from things that we tore down or from the curbside throughout the neighborhood. I think it's cool that he has been able to build something like this without spending any money (although pretty soon he is going to need to restock bolts, screws and nails). And I try to let him go fishing as much as possible.

He takes such good care of me and I let him know how much I appreciate him every day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
I'd like to give a big shout out to my hubby who supports my hobbies and crafts and other activities. He's always great to support my volunteer activities and picks up the slack with the house and kids when I'm busy helping others. He's put up with years and years of my tole painting, knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilling and now stamping and card making. He also helps out with my gardening although I think if I ask him to move one more rock, he just might divorce me LOL!!
Wow! Not only do you sound really fun to hang out with, (I also love all those hobbies), but your husband sounds so awesome!

My husband is very supportive as well, and I am so lucky that he is also artistic. Some nights you could find both of us crafting late into the night. Me with my stamping or knitting or painting or drawing and him with his underground comic art, writing or drawing. I feel SOOOO lucky to have found an artistic guy and what a great thread and idea to acknowledge him!
I just wish he'd build me stuff like your husband does! He builds entire houses during the day, but then when he comes home, he won't touch wood or a screwdriver or a hammer to save his life. He's DONE with that afterwork hours... lol

Thanks for the cool thread idea! Yay for the great guys in our lives!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

My husband is very supportive and has been for 10 years!! I've also been supportive of his many hobbies and they are much more expensive than mine.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

When I first started seriously stamping/scrapbooking it seemed like something I could do to make a little money. After earning free stuff through a design team and teaching classes in my home willy-nilly, I joined SU! After a short while, i was making enough money to keep myself in stamps and supplies plus a little extra. Then, after a move, my business did not recover. I was spending way too much household money on my demoship and I was put on a strict budget. It was a huge adjustment for me but now it's working for both of us. To make a long answer longer, yes, my crafting money comes almost 100% from hubby. In the future, if I didn't want to buy any craft stuff or go to crops or if I drop SU!, I can use that money for other fun stuff like shoes.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I am very lucky too. My husband is very supportive and has made many "crafty" things for me, including a ribbon maker and shelving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I forgot to mention in my post: Don't just show your appreciation here ... tell that special person in words. It never hurts to suck up a little bit and have some brownie points for down the road LOL! I plan to remind him again when I get home from work ... he'll be suspicious and ask me what I want LOL!

On a serious note, I made my post sound like hubby builds me a lot. But really, that's an area he struggles in. He did do construction work at one time but not finish carpentry work. What he does is he finds someone to help him execute the plan and he becomes the assistant and passes the tools and acts as a sounding board when they're trying to determine measurements and such. He'd never admit that though but I love that he tries LOL!

Last edited by lharnish; 05-17-2011 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

My husband is completely supportive as long as i don't ask him to assemble another piece of furniture for my scraproom! He's put together so many bookcases and expedits, and now scrapboxes that he'll throw a childish fit if I buy anything else that needs assembling. He lets me spend as much as I want, as long as I leave some for his hunting and fishing, and the bills are all paid. He also takes me to scrap and stamp stores wherever we're vacationing and brings home things I might be able to use. Most of this is because I am the primary caregiver of the hunting dog, and I have to listen to him talk about shotguns and fishing poles and go to all of those types of stores with him. One week of vacation every year is set aside for bird hunting in MN so he knows I have earned the right to my crafting time and crafting purchases. He also asks me to make cards when he needs them and likes to look through the scrapbooks. If he had it his way, I would also be a quilter and do stained glass/fused glass stuff, but I don't need anymore hobbies. My parents are also very supportive of my scrapping and stamping, especially when they need cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

My husband is the one who is always saying, "Just buy it! Why not?"

Love that man. He just wants me "happy" and for some reason, in his mind happy means I'm having fun doing the things I love rather than just being with him!

Yeah, I let him keep thinking. After all, that makes HIM happy. snort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started stamping at a local stamp store about two years before I got BC. The store closed just after my lumpectomy. I definitely needed something to hold my interest from worrying about the treatments. I heard that one of the store's customer's was a SU demo; I asked her about it; she invited me to a group meeting and I signed up.

My husband has been very supportive throughout my treatments and recovery[9 years cancer free.] He thinks it's great that the ladies come over[the house gets cleaned.] He feels that it's a wonderful activity for me, because it makes me happy, so he encourages me to continue. Since I'm a SU demo, I make enough money to pay for the stamps and supplies without taking from the household account. And to pay for convention.
I'm glad to hear that other husbands are supportive, too.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

My DH likes what I make, supports what I enjoy because he loves me, lets me buy what I want after the bills are paid and never complains about the crops I go to, the shows I attend, the stores I visit. He will buy me big ticket items for presents like my Canon 5D Mark II camera, lenses, Genesis trimmer, etc. He outfitted my studio with cabinets, drawers and counter tops. He'll move things around to accommodate friends I have over to crop and even takes the kids out those days to give us some peace and quiet.

But I don't think he really understands WHY I do these things. He's happy with a Hallmark card and pictures in a photo album and assumes that everyone else would be too. But even so, he does all of the things listed above because he loves me and wants me to be happy.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #16  
ch
Mad Swapper

My hubby is wonderful. Years ago I went to 12 hour scrapbook retreats. He would stop on his way to work and leave me a card or treat on my table. He tended the kids while I was away, loaded and unloaded the car. Did I say he is awesome!! But...I take good care of him to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Mine is absolutely 100% supportive - he says he's my biggest fan and my best critic because he tells me what he doesn't like and why as well as what he does.
He knows I don't spend more than we can afford, he's the one who encouraged me to get a budget sewing machine so that I could have it always out upstairs (I don't do dressmaking up here, so my other machines are downstairs and have to put away when not in use).
He doesn't mind a bit of untidiness - once the house is clean, his clothes are washed and waiting for him to iron and there's food on the table it's all good - creativity isn't neat and tidy in his mind. Thank goodness for that!! Music is more his thing, but he likes origami and does, when he starts in time, make me cards for Christmas, birthday, anniversary etc. I even got two hand made cards for my birthday this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

DH is totally supportive of my stamping hobby!

I use our dining room table/dining room as my crafting area and he NEVER says a word about it when the room looks like a bomb went off. He knows how much I enjoy stamping and he teases me that the only two things I like to spend money on are 1) stamping stuff and 2) magazine subscriptions :p

He doesn't complain about all the stamping supplies I keep in our garage even though it is slowly taking over some of "his" space.

I'm a lucky girl!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

When I first decided to sign up as a demo, my DH was kind of thinking I was crazy. I told him if I was going to buy the stuff I might as well get a discount. He is super supportive and I often will ask him what the card needs if I am stuck. He gets a smidge grumpy when my room looks like a hurricane hit it, which lately has been more often than not.(it is right off of the living room, so very visible). This summer we will be redoing my room so I have been starting to unmount my stamps and sort thru things to get ready for that chaos. And even though he says I have enough crap,his words, he still takes me to my favorite stamp stores!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

My hubby is awesome! He doesn't mind that I spend money, he encourages me to do things like go to crops with my friends, and he even lugs all my stuff around. In fact, when he gets home tonight I am going to give him a big hug and say thank you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

My husband is great too. We will have been married 2 years in June, and for the first year of marriage, I barely touched my stamping things. I told him that a girlfriend of mine and I usually get together 1-2 times a year and rent out a booth at local craft shows. This year my friend seems to be dragging in getting anything together for our first show, so my husband asked me if HE could do the booth with me this year....that'll be a lot of fun! I love finding things we can do/share together. He is always very honest in his opinion of my cards, and that helps too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

yup he supports me 100% percent as long as I pay cash for everything ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,909 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Support? Oh yeah, in more ways than one! I don't earn a paycheck so he pays for it all. When he needs a card at work he just asks me if I would make him one! He's suppprted me many many times. So if he asks if I mind if he goes turkey hunting...how can I say no? But I don't eat wild turkey!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Supports? eh, I would say tolerates. He likes that it makes me happy, but the amount of space that it requires and the time I spend doing it bug him.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

i wish my hubby was supportive but he is not. it is very frustrating because i am very supportive of his and they take up a LOT more time, money and space than mine do....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

my guy is very supportive. He is the one I turn to when I don't know how a card would look or even what suggestions he had. Also when I sold Tupperware a few years back, he would help me setup my booth along with the canopy should the show be outside (yes even in the rain!). That was a BIG help! At least Tupperware is light and stores inside each other!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh yes, very, very, very much so!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Don't ask, don't tell. Great policy. Works with stamping and the horses. Of course, his hobby - hunting - isn't small either. We both know that the other is happier when engages in the passions that keep us sane. We also both work in high stress jobs, too, and we need those outlets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

My husband also brimgs home things that his work throws out. He always tells people what I am making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to say that toleration is definitely a form of support. As a team, my husband and I tolerate a lot from each other. Of course, there are days when I want to clock him in the back of the head with my Big Shot and then there are days he probably wants to do the same to me with one of his golf clubs or a garden shovel LOL! But we refrain and move on LOL!

My husband enjoys hunting and fishing but isn't a die-hard. Before we were married we laid down a couple of ground rules. My biggest demand was that there were to be no mounted deer heads or other dead animals stuffed and on display in my house ... totally creeps me out. If he wanted such things they'd go in his shed or garage - his man space, now called man caves LOL! The other was no hunting trips that would take him away on October 31 when deer hunting typically opens in our area. He was needed to help with the kids - one to give out the candy at home while the other took the kids door to door. I think one of his "demands" was not having an ultra feminine bedroom with all kinds of pink and frills (very popular style back when we married). That was fine with me. We also agreed that once we had children, that the kids came first before our other hobbies and passions. We always worked to find a good balance so that we got to do some of the things we each liked once the kids needs were taken care of. And the last biggest and most important rule was that no expensive financial purchases were to be made without consulting the other. We have always made all our financial decisions together and any time either one of us got a bonus from work or other extra cash, we both decided together how to spend it. Financial issues has to be one of the biggest strains a marriage can go through so it is best to lay those issues out on the table before tying the knot.

We have an ongoing joke in my house about me spending money on "foolishness". While on a Christmas shopping trip to the US with another couple, the husband in the other couple was an avid outdoorsman - a hunter and fisherman. We were in Cabella's and he saw something he really, really wanted. His wife talked him out of it, told him they really couldn't afford it (she does the "household books") and he left the store really disappointed. Unbeknownst to him, she had another friend go in and buy the item for him as a surprise Christmas gift. When he came back to the car and I asked if he and my husband saw anything interesting, he lamented about this item. He was really disappointed. Jokingly, I told him the spent enough money on his hobby, that he had spent enough on this trip on his "foolishness" and he really didn't need it. Well, the look he gave me was priceless. I truly offended him and he was gentlemen enough to bite his tongue. His wife was cracking up beside me knowing she had the item for him. Fast forward to Christmas and his shock to find the coveted item under the tree. I told him that he had a good wife that would let him spend money on "foolishness". So, every time we do anything craft related or go to Michael's or any type of craft store, we're off to the "foolishness store". This was three years ago and we all still laugh over it.

Last edited by lharnish; 05-18-2011 at 03:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 05:11 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I feel compelled to respond to this one! My wonderful husband of 32 years (yes, we are blessed) and I are a team. We support each other! We're each others' biggest cheerleaders. We respect each other. We're best friends. We're also each other's most honest critic when that's appropriate. I don't know what works for everybody else, but this, I am proud to say, is what works for us. As someone stated above, we tell each other everyday how much we love and appreciate each other. Talk can be cheap, so actions show those feelings too.
Thanks for reminding me this morning of just how blesssed I am!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's so nice to read everyone's thoughts on this and it's refreshing that the men are getting a "good" rap for a change.

I'm also one of the lucky ones who is blessed with a supportive spouse. He always has favourable things to say and he's always eager to show off my projects to others. He says "if you won't show it off, I will!" LOL He never asks "how much" I paid for anything, but he knows it's not cheap. Especially when I go on a Nesties spending spree. He said I need to get that Nestie storage box insured! LOL Funny guy.

Even my FIL supports me. He kind of cringes when he sees me coming because he knows I'm going to ask him to build me something but he loves it LOL

So . . . hats off to all the men out there who "get it". As my husband often says . . . "Happy wife . . . Happy life"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

The thread asking whether your craft is unappreciated got me to thinking about who does support my hobbies and crafts.

I'd like to give a big shout out to my hubby who supports my hobbies and crafts and other activities. He's always great to support my volunteer activities and picks up the slack with the house and kids when I'm busy helping others. He's put up with years and years of my tole painting, knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilling and now stamping and card making. He also helps out with my gardening although I think if I ask him to move one more rock, he just might divorce me LOL! That being said, I support his extra curricular activities as well, but I sometimes seem to get more time/money for my stuff than him! He knows he is appreciated even if it really is "all about me" LOL!

Whenever there are items at his work going in the garbage that I might be able to recycle and use at home, he brings them home. As an example, I have a couple of wooden shelving units that were being demolished and discarded. These units would have cost a couple hundred dollars if hubby were to take the time to make something similar. They happened to fit my 12X12 paper perfectly. I also have a table top in pristine condition from a desk unit that was no longer needed at my work. He came in and helped me drag to the car and squeeze in. He then built legs for it to use in my craft room. If he sees unneeded containers or gizmos at work that might be useful for storage, he brings them home as well. Some men just wouldn't bother.

At the moment he's cutting out scrap wood to make me an ink pad holder, an ATG holder, and a heat gun stand. I found the pictures on line. Once I show him something, if he can't build it, he finds someone who can. He's trying to come up with a design for a combo unit for the ATG and heat gun holders. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

And, most importantly, he also shows lots of patience when on shopping trips as I browse the craft stores and scrapbooking stores searching for great deals.

So, take a moment to use this thread to give a shout out to the spouse, partner, boyfriend/girlfriend or main squeeze that helps support your addiction to this lovely hobby!
Wow, your husband really supports you. I used to tole paint and cross-stitch and now scrapbook and rubberstamp. DH is so very supportive and pushes me to buy something everytime we go to a scrapbook or rubberstamp show.

Payback is coming my way this weekend; I'm going to a HAM radio convention this weekend and have to sit in the backseat for 5 hours to get there. One of the HAM radio operators is coming with us, because he refuses to travel wth a brother-in-law.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I cannot say enough good things about my beloved. He is my biggest supporter. He takes me to all the scrapbook and stamping conventions. He buys me so many things when I would never spend that kind of money myself. When we were married 2 1/2 years ago he took over a family of 5 children after being a childless bachelor for 43 years. I had been widowed for 8 years by then. I always lived by pinching pennies. The first thing he did was order the House Mouse of the month stamp for me every month since then. I only was able to purchase maybe 1 or 2 a year before that. He takes pictures of all my cards. He has pictures of them on his phone and is always showing them off. He brings home things that he thinks might be useful - some are some are not. But he is always thinking of me.

In the evening we sit in the office/craft area and I work on cards and he is on the computer or working on leather (he is an apprentice saddle maker). We love just being in the same room. He is making a craftroom for me this year (one of the kids moved out) and we both insist that he has a place in it cause neither of us wishes to be without the other.

My sweetheart is a true treasure, best friend, greatest supporter and most honest critic. Love him dearly. Couldn't craft without him and probably wouldn't want too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Hugs to great hubbies!!!!!!

My DH is the biggest enabler in the world. I would have maybe a table full of my tools and a couple boxes full of supplies. I am like that. NO fuss and no clutter. Oh no that just won't happen with Super Enabler DH! Every time we go in to the craft store there are things in my basket. I am not joking I don't put them in there. I spend a lot of time running around the store putting things back, lol. I love this game that DH & I play. Now, I have a room full of craft supplies that I treasure and adore. I am still super picky.

He's so supportive and loving about my work. He loves to make me happy and dote on me. I appreciate it and love him for it more than words can express. The prior relationship I was in before him I was abused in every way. Every day I wake up I know how lucky I am and I treasure it tremendously.

My DH is also a crafter. He paints, quilts, crochets, leatherwork, glass work, etc... My DH is the one that taught me how to cross-stitch.

The other day my DH said to me that his favorite room in our home was the craft room. Ahhh! So sweet. This is more meaningful since he let me have complete free reign of decorating it. Our room is all pink and vintage, lol. My DH is one of those big masculine guys who fixes up cars and guy friends come over and have tool envy.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Just wanted to say that toleration is definitely a form of support. As a team, my husband and I tolerate a lot from each other. Of course, there are days when I want to clock him in the back of the head with my Big Shot and then there are days he probably wants to do the same to me with one of his golf clubs or a garden shovel LOL! But we refrain and move on LOL!

My husband enjoys hunting and fishing but isn't a die-hard. Before we were married we laid down a couple of ground rules. My biggest demand was that there were to be no mounted deer heads or other dead animals stuffed and on display in my house ... totally creeps me out. If he wanted such things they'd go in his shed or garage - his man space, now called man caves LOL! The other was no hunting trips that would take him away on October 31 when deer hunting typically opens in our area. He was needed to help with the kids - one to give out the candy at home while the other took the kids door to door. I think one of his "demands" was not having an ultra feminine bedroom with all kinds of pink and frills (very popular style back when we married). That was fine with me. We also agreed that once we had children, that the kids came first before our other hobbies and passions. We always worked to find a good balance so that we got to do some of the things we each liked once the kids needs were taken care of. And the last biggest and most important rule was that no expensive financial purchases were to be made without consulting the other. We have always made all our financial decisions together and any time either one of us got a bonus from work or other extra cash, we both decided together how to spend it. Financial issues has to be one of the biggest strains a marriage can go through so it is best to lay those issues out on the table before tying the knot.

Holy cow - they have obviously perfected cloning for humans, 'cause you are married to my hubby's clone!! We have the same ground rules - no dead, stuffed animals in the house, no ultra frilly anywhere in the house, and all large financial decisions are jointly made. Also, we don't give each other gifts for birthdays, Christmas, mothers/fathers day (he's not my dad, I'm not his mom), as we decide to buy larger ticket items for the household together as our gifts (e.g TV's, treadmills, computers, etc). Couple of other rules - all wild game comes into the house unrecognizable as whatever animal it was, and he has to wash all his hunting gear himself! As a joke once, he brought home his latest catch, cleaned it and then put it on a foam meat tray from the store, covered it in plastic wrap and put a fake sales tag on it - too funny! Other than once in our 23 years of marriage, I have never told him he can't go hunting, and in deference to me he never goes hunting when he knows there is something big coming up that would be negatively impacted by it.

As for supporting my hobby, when I first started, and needed to start my stock, he didn't complain per se, but did gently remind me that we were not millionaires, and that I should really think about whether or not I needed it. After 10+ years of scrapbooking & 4 years of cardmaking, I have pretty much all the supplies I need, as long as I promise that I will use the items and not let them sit there forever, he doesn't really say much about my purchases, much like I don't really say a word when he says he wants a new gun, to go along with the other 3 that he currently owns. And he is very helpful - my crafting space is in the basement, so when I get packed up to go to a crop, he very nicely carries it all upstairs and loads up my car for me. And he offers both praise and constructive criticism (i.e. - doesn't cut it down, just offers why it doesn't look great and suggestion on how to fix it) which invariably is spot on.

And I have to give a shout out to my daughter as well - whenever she needs a card, she always comes to me and asks me to make one for her, and will often tell me that my work is beautiful (which I really appreciate, since I think that my work is just okay). She even has her boyfriend ask me for cards, and he friends all rave about them, so I take that as a sincere form of flattery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #37  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

My hubby was always supportive of my stamping craft, but he is not very supportive of me becoming a Stampin' Up! demo. I just hope I don't fall on my face and have him say to me 'I told you so'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Holy cow - they have obviously perfected cloning for humans, 'cause you are married to my hubby's clone!! We have the same ground rules - no dead, stuffed animals in the house, no ultra frilly anywhere in the house, and all large financial decisions are jointly made. Also, we don't give each other gifts for birthdays, Christmas, mothers/fathers day (he's not my dad, I'm not his mom), as we decide to buy larger ticket items for the household together as our gifts (e.g TV's, treadmills, computers, etc). Couple of other rules - all wild game comes into the house unrecognizable as whatever animal it was, and he has to wash all his hunting gear himself! As a joke once, he brought home his latest catch, cleaned it and then put it on a foam meat tray from the store, covered it in plastic wrap and put a fake sales tag on it - too funny! Other than once in our 23 years of marriage, I have never told him he can't go hunting, and in deference to me he never goes hunting when he knows there is something big coming up that would be negatively impacted by it.
Yup, we must be clones LOL! We were married 23 years this past May. We also don't buy much for each other for special occasions either. We went through major financial hardship not long after being married when the fishery collapsed in the 1980s so money was very scarce. We were lucky to keep our home and not have to foreclose during that time. So, we decided early on that what limited funds we had for Christmas and other events, the emphasis was that it was for the children and we wouldn't buy for each other but would buy for the house if needed. Birthdays we do cakes for each other and now I do cards of course! He wouldn't make a plan to go hunting or golfing for the weekend without consulting me and I wouldn't plan a weekend away with the girls without consulting him. I tend to manage the household finances because frankly he sucks at it and would be the first to admit it. So I do make a lot of the household financial decisions but we discuss it and he usually defers to what I think is the proper route to go.

I have a story a bit similar to your fish in the tray story. We had a vegetable garden one year and it was doing okay, yielding the odd cucumber and the like. He would brag to his coworkers about how well our garden was doing. One day, I had a few cucumbers on the counter that came from the grocery store. Something popped up that called me away before they made it to the refrigerator. Hubby comes home while I'm gone, sees the cukes on the counter and assumes they're fresh from the garden. He gave a few away to a coworker and they all commented on how well they grew. Well they should be in good shape considering the grocery store was selling them LOL! We still laugh over that silly incident.

It has been nice reading how supportive our spouses can be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so blessed to have a hubby who is interested in my cardmaking. It is not unusual for him to bring me something for my stamp room. He called me from Denver one time to tell me that he found some great stamps at walmart. He wanted to know if I had them...He ended up buying them all and bringing them to me. He calls me as he passes stamp stores around the country too...what a sweetie he is...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #40  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I just love this thread! It's great to hear not only that hubby's support their wives....but that wives appreciate it!

I have to say that my DH is so supportive of anything I ever want to do! I'm a "jump-in-head-first" type of person. When I decided I wanted to try making candles I bought a kit from Michael's and my DH supported that.....and then 1 month later when I was ordering from a real supplier and had over 40 bottles of different fragrance oils - he was still supportive! He even went to the supplier with me to pick scents! LOL!! And when I decided to try my hand and stamping....well, there I went back to Michael's and bought a kit....and 1 month later had over 100 stamps! And being the trooper he is - he's still ultra-supportive! He looks at everything I get and everything I make - and while it might not be his "cup of tea" - he still is attentive and encourages me. I laugh when we go to the stores because other husbands will be waiting out in the car for their wives (if they even go with them to begin with)....but there is my hubby - walking right in the door and up and down the rows with me! He's the BEST! Not only because he supports my stamping thing even though money is tight for us.....but because he truly is my very best friend. I don't know what I would do without him and never want to find out. God has truly blessed me with a wonderful husband!
Reply With Quote Likes