Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought my atg gun.....and I am scared of it

....boy is that contraption huge!!! I was originally going to order my 36 rolls of tombow but when I did not see a big response to my post about tombows I decided to look further into what so many of you were going on about with "the gun". So I happy-tailed it to Joanns with my 40% off and teacher's discount... so going from the blue tombow to this pink gun - talk about a learning curve.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOVE mine have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

you will love it. i have two
one for home and one on the go
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So glad you have hands that can handle it. I have tiny hands and the thing will not work for me. Also, although unrelated, I tried to buy shoes today (size 5) to no avail. Petite is not a lot of fun anymore....size 5 is now a children's size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Tape is very cheap at Oozak.com.........at first I thought it wasn't such a great deal, but then noticed that the rolls contained 2X the tape. I love my atg........also works wonderful with vellum!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I remember being intimidated by it. In the end you really have to just do what the instructions say. There is a bit of a knack to getting it exactly how you want but I definitely found it to be the more I use it the easier it is to use. Now I don't even have to think about it. Initially I wouldn't trying anything that needed an exact line of tape, just general lines to adhere, nothing decorative but as your confidence grows so can your experimentation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I remember being intimidated by it. In the end you really have to just do what the instructions say. There is a bit of a knack to getting it exactly how you want but I definitely found it to be the more I use it the easier it is to use. Now I don't even have to think about it. Initially I wouldn't trying anything that needed an exact line of tape, just general lines to adhere, nothing decorative but as your confidence grows so can your experimentation.
So was I! I think I left it in the package a few days and just looked at it.

It is a totally different way to adhere stuff. I remember keeping my bottle of liquid Tombow handy for anything smaller than a whole card front. But like you said, your confidence grows as you get more familiar with using the gun.

Don't know what I'd do without it now.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always try to let new ATG users know about the great deal I found on tape. Tape Depot has an ebay store, and for some reason, the tape is much cheaper there than at their regular website.

It's not an auction, but a Buy it Now price. $22.95 for 12 rolls of tape, with free shipping. You just can't beat it. I've ordered several times and have been very pleased.

12 ROLLS - CRAFT TAPE - ATG PHOTO TAPE - 1/4" X 36YD | eBay

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I went to Michael's to buy one Sat. and put it back. It was just way too big! How do you do little detail areas? I'm soooo used to a glue runner/snail. I'm having glue issues. The Elmers' from Wal-Mart is horrible! The cards get gummy fast and fall apart.

I used to use ad-tech from Wal-Mart and gradually the quality went down but was acceptable. Then WM stopped carrying ad-tech and switched to Elmers. I have moved and now live near both Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I decided to try Xyron glue runners. They seem to adhere strongly but I used one whole roll on two cards. Teh Ad-tech runners lasted through six cards and cost $2.25 for two refills~very affordable. The zyron refills are around $4.50 for one. I can use the M's $40% off. If they cost that much for one and run out sooo fast, they are too expensive. SU runners last forever!

So I am having adhesive issues! I may just go with SU snail runners. I am a hobby demo and can get the 20% off. What does everyone think? I have also read that the tape runner that comes with the ATG does not hold well. What is everyone using with their ATG? TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 03:54 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

The SU tape runners never worked well for me. My cards were falling apart very quickly. I finally bought an ATG gun and it works so well. No longer do my cards fall apart. I have small hands but with a little practice the ATG gun works just fine for me. I use the Mono Multi on the tiny pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I have both the ATG gun and tape rollers. I found Martha Stewart tape rollers were the best quality for me. I purchased the ATG gun because I was making 75 multi-layered wedding invitations and one tape roller did two invitations....I even splurged and bought them at the dollar store!!! One ATG gun was the same price of the 20 tape rollers I went through.!!!!

I am so glad I did buy it...a bit of a learning curve but, by the third or fourth card I was getting the hang of it. I was worried about the size as I have damaged wrists and it was not an issue for me.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm 5'2'' with tiny hands and I don't have a problem with it. It's really light. And I actually can get the ATG tape to the edge of my card. After the amount of money you save (so you can use it to buy more stamps!), you'll learn to love it! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I went to Michael's to buy one Sat. and put it back. It was just way too big! How do you do little detail areas? I'm soooo used to a glue runner/snail. I'm having glue issues. The Elmers' from Wal-Mart is horrible! The cards get gummy fast and fall apart.

I used to use ad-tech from Wal-Mart and gradually the quality went down but was acceptable. Then WM stopped carrying ad-tech and switched to Elmers. I have moved and now live near both Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I decided to try Xyron glue runners. They seem to adhere strongly but I used one whole roll on two cards. Teh Ad-tech runners lasted through six cards and cost $2.25 for two refills~very affordable. The zyron refills are around $4.50 for one. I can use the M's $40% off. If they cost that much for one and run out sooo fast, they are too expensive. SU runners last forever!

So I am having adhesive issues! I may just go with SU snail runners. I am a hobby demo and can get the 20% off. What does everyone think? I have also read that the tape runner that comes with the ATG does not hold well. What is everyone using with their ATG? TIA!
The SU Snail doesn't work for me either. My cards fall apart. But, with the ATG nothing falls apart! You asked how to do detailed stuff.....Well the ATG has the exact same size tape as SU Snail, just the gun itself is bigger. I use it for almost everything! I use it on the Modern Label punch, small oval punches, etc. Only thing I use 2-way glue for are really tiny things. Hope that helps. You will love the ATG once you get going with it. I never did find a learning curve with mine, I was good to go from the very first use. I love mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

When I first got my ATG, I was very intimidated by it. I hated it the first few times, but I figured I would keep trying since I paid for it. Now I can't imagine not having it. It works much better than any of the tape runners I tried. One of my initial issues was getting it to separate from the paper backing after I had used it. This was solved by putting a little pressure on the front and pulling it back towards me. The other problem was that the tape was winding on itself and pulling out big loops of tape. I solved that by making sure that when I loaded the refill, it was tight in the empty spool where the used liner goes. I make it go around at least four times so there is no slack to get loops caught. My dd has now taken to stealing it since she likes it better than the tombow. I am thinking about getting her one since I hate when my supplies go missing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for making me feel better about it. I cannot believe how intimidated I am about a contraption!! and to top it off, I don't even make many cards at all...I mostly scrapbook. Tonight, I will play around with it.
Also, thanks for the heads up about the refills. I will need o look into that too.
Thanks for saving my $61.00 purchase on the 36 tombow refills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Try cardstock to cardstock first. I'm pretty confident with it and nearly tore up a project earlier with my dry embossed paper and tape... I managed to save it but now I will make sure I tape the cardstock and apply the paper! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

What about the posts I've read that state the tape runner that comes with the ATG doesn't hold well? I'm not one to run all over the internet trying to find a quality product. Also, why does it have to be so big? Why can't they make the same quality tape in a small runner?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

The Scotch ATG tape that comes with the gun has been amazing for me, and many people have posted that their cards and layouts have held strong for years, unlike those with Adtech, Tombow, etc. I'd be willing to bet that if someone had an issue with it, it may have been an "off" batch or something. I had multiple large core-board yard sale signs with individual letters ATG'd onto them survive through massive thunderstorms with a ton of wind last fall. They went up pre-dawn in a heavy dew, made it through the storms, and after all of that, not a single element had budged. Needless to say, I'm now an ATG user for life. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
What about the posts I've read that state the tape runner that comes with the ATG doesn't hold well? I'm not one to run all over the internet trying to find a quality product. Also, why does it have to be so big? Why can't they make the same quality tape in a small runner?
If you think about it, it's all casing for the large amount of tape on the roll. The mechanism itself is quite small and directly in front of the trigger finger, the rest of the "bulk" is to hold that 36 yards of tape!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

If you think about it, it's all casing for the large amount of tape on the roll. The mechanism itself is quite small and directly in front of the trigger finger, the rest of the "bulk" is to hold that 36 yards of tape!
Good point! And think about it, that's why the tape for ATG's is so much a better value than the small tape runner refills. It costs way less to make large rolls than smaller ones.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 02:37 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Sure, but I'd love it if it was about 1/2 as big. That would still be larger rolls. If the scotch tape that comes with it works well, I'm sold. As I looked at it I just kept thinking of all those posts I'd read about tape that didn't hold! I think I'll end up getting one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2011, 06:14 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my ATG and would never want to do without it! I can tape small things with it too...you just have to be careful. And, if you happen to go over the edge of whatever you are taping you can just rub your finger over the excess and "push" it where you want it to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

I am so glad to see this thread. I bought one of these ATG's with a 40% off coupon at Michaels and when I got it home I couldn't open it to load the tape and it seemed so huge!!! so I returned it...I think I might give another try after the wonderful ravings of fans here. I make a lot of cards and scrapbook too so a good tape is a treasure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Another ATG cheerleader. It is my favorite, most useful tool. I even have two. I keep one at work so I can work on cards at lunch time and not have to drag it back and forth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by phyllis harperView Post
I am so glad to see this thread. I bought one of these ATG's with a 40% off coupon at Michaels and when I got it home I couldn't open it to load the tape and it seemed so huge!!! so I returned it...I think I might give another try after the wonderful ravings of fans here. I make a lot of cards and scrapbook too so a good tape is a treasure.
There are some youtube videos about loading it that a lot of people have found helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

There are some youtube videos about loading it that a lot of people have found helpful.
YouTube helped me a lot!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Don't feel bad about being scared of it--I got mine for Christmas, and I didn't even try to load it until last month! :rolleyes: I found this video on YouTube to be very helpful:
YouTube - How to Refill the Scotch ATG714 Tape Dispenser
I watched it, paused it, and watched it again several times, but I got it loaded!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by phyllis harperView Post
I hope you decide to "re-buy" it. It's really a great tool for attaching paper.

I did the same thing you did only with the Cropadile when it first came out. I bought it at Mikes with a coupon, opened it carefully, said "Eek" and took it back.

Then I read more and more posts about how great it was and went and bought it again. After I got the hang of using it I loved it.

If you do buy it again, like others said, watch a video or two to get the hang of loading and using it. Also, I remember some other people complained how hard their gun was to get open. Once it was opened and closed a few times, the stiffness disappeared.

Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I took a look at this video..yes it will be helpful to assist in loading a new tape roll, but my first problem was that I could not get the clear cover to open! I tried everything, squeezing down on that ridge area, no way would it even open!! If I get another one I'll ask for assist while in the store from someone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I hope you give it a chance -- it will be your "best friend!"

It may look intimidating but I barely remember any learning curve at all on the thing, going from the tiny adhesive dispensers. There are videos online to show loading and using -- you will be so thrilled at how long the adhesive lasts and how well it adheres, that you'll get over your apprehension soon enough, I think!!!

Good luck and have fun -- and I really think you'll be pleased in the long run :^) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #31  
Inking Addict

Congrats!!

I just got mine on Wednesday, and I am in LOVE! I did a ton of research before the purchase and was still intimidated when I got it. I used a utube video to help me load it, and it only took a minute. It only took about 5 cards to really get the hang of it. I really feel like the tape is stickier but only time will really tell. I was afraid it would not be as easy/convenient as my little tombow but have been pleasantly surprised so far. I am so glad I made the splurge! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

[QUOTE=buggainok;18190309]I always try to let new ATG users know about the great deal I found on tape. Tape Depot has an ebay store, and for some reason, the tape is much cheaper there than at their regular website.

It's not an auction, but a Buy it Now price. $22.95 for 12 rolls of tape, with free shipping. You just can't beat it. I've ordered several times and have been very pleased.

Will this work with the pink ATG? After reading these rave reviews I am going to buy one tomorrow! I want to have refills on hand because there is nothing worse than being in the middle of a project and running out of adhesive! Except for tonight because that problem led me to this thread and convinced me to get the ATG!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=defygravity06;18210414]
Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I always try to let new ATG users know about the great deal I found on tape. Tape Depot has an ebay store, and for some reason, the tape is much cheaper there than at their regular website.

Will this work with the pink ATG? After reading these rave reviews I am going to buy one tomorrow! I want to have refills on hand because there is nothing worse than being in the middle of a project and running out of adhesive! Except for tonight because that problem led me to this thread and convinced me to get the ATG!
Yes, this tape will fit the Pink ATG.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

I love mine..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #35  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post

12 ROLLS - CRAFT TAPE - ATG PHOTO TAPE - 1/4" X 36YD | eBay
I am really considering this buy when I load my last refill. How does it hold compared to the glue that comes with the pink atg (scotch) or snail? I actually had trouble with snail, but the refills from costco for tombow seemed better. I have only used a bit of the ATG but so far it has been really impressive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caitlyn JordanView Post
I am really considering this buy when I load my last refill. How does it hold compared to the glue that comes with the pink atg (scotch) or snail? I actually had trouble with snail, but the refills from costco for tombow seemed better. I have only used a bit of the ATG but so far it has been really impressive.
I ordered 12 roll packs twice and had no problems with holding on any of the tape from Tape Depot ebay.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

So I dove into it finally - and I have to say I am so happy. I realized one thing about it gumming up on me and i think that has to do with pulling up the gun before releasing the trigger. A little more pressure on the page and letting go of the trigger before pulling away from the page made the biggest difference. I used it on 2 layouts and am very happy.
THANKS all of you who encouraged me to go on. I will also be ordering from Tape Depot soon. The prices there I have not been able to see anything cheaper - Thanks again everyone :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

My awesome boyfriend bought me mine for Christmas and I love it, even more awesome is he loads the tape for me but if he's not home and I actually have to do it for myself I watch the video from FramingSupplies.com

Tape Dispenser Guns
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

I love the yellow one my hubby got me so much, that I bought a pink one to hold "regular" refills. I use yellow for gold tape (scrapbooking) and the pink one for making cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 03:19 AM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Does anyone know of a glue runner that has the staying power of the ATG tape? I'm getting a pink ATG @ Michael's on Friday. They are having a 50% off day on any one thing. I will still want to take a small glue runner to workshops. I've had good luck with the purple Scotch glue runner with one exception. It doesn't lay down the tape all that easy! It's not uniform and doesn't go along ribbon well. Both the Ad-tech and even the horrible sticking Elmer's lays down easily.

Also, I loved the Xyron tape runner but it only made two cards and ran out! The Scotch TR made it through seven cards and still has some tape left.
Reply With Quote Likes